Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Right i have a question about this whole adam and eve buisness. God originally created adam only  right? Then adam got bored and wanted a fuck buddy so god took his rib etc ect and made eve. Now heres the part that starts to make no sense.
 If god knows everything and knows all thats going to happen why did he bother with adam and eve in the first place? If he knew they were going to eat fruit from the tree then why did he put it in there to start with.
Are you telling me one all powerful god cant get rid of 1 tree? And where is this garden of eden now? Also they say satan was the serpent that told eve to eat the apple yet if adam and eve are the first humans how does satan already exist? Isnt he supposed to be a angel so technically he should of been on earth first.
 So to counter this youd have to assume that angels are another species created by god. Which ponders the question why would god create two different species, and has he created anymore?
So after youve swallowed all that crap you then have to believe that 2 people who are now mortal lived for thousands of years breeding like rabbits, with their children and their childrens children, brothers with sisters, fathers and daughters, mother and sons.
And from this place somewhere near eden these inbred managed to travel across the world, fight off the dinosaurs who were supposedly vegetarian, because you need such big sharp teath for eating grass, all in under 1000-2000 years?
Seriously if u believe all of that youre screwed for life.

Reply #1150 Posted: February 18, 2007, 12:17:05 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I was watching an interesting documentary on the Discovery/Documentary Channel the other day about "Stupidity".

The reputable scientists spoke for a while about religion, and were saying that anything religious people are told that contradicts their belief's are automatically and subconsciously ignored by their brains.

Therefore this argument is pointless, though its still a great thread to read on a rainy day for entertainment so please continue.

Personally I'm liking Kill3rs posts, short and to the point :)

Reply #1151 Posted: February 18, 2007, 12:54:44 pm

Offline gray_man

• Just settled in
  • gray_man has no influence.
Quote from: BerG;341874
I was watching an interesting documentary on the Discovery/Documentary Channel the other day about "Stupidity".

The reputable scientists spoke for a while about religion, and were saying that anything religious people are told that contradicts their belief's are automatically and subconsciously ignored by their brains.

Therefore this argument is pointless, though its still a great thread to read on a rainy day for entertainment so please continue.

Personally I'm liking Kill3rs posts, short and to the point :)

so true, im home with my gran for a week, just the two of us and straight away she pulls out the "god talk" card, we had a "nice" big talk and i thought i made some very valid points (many taken from this very thread).

But the fact of the matter is, they have an automatic /ignore function engrained into them. Just the way it is. No arguing with them. She keeps telling me about all these miricle stories, i retort with a "how do you know they are true, and not just thrown out there to be believed by the ignorant", her response is "why would anyone make up a story like that, why would they do such a thing, there is no reason for them doing it".

Least the 2 hours from aucks to whangus went by quik :bounce:

Reply #1152 Posted: February 18, 2007, 08:15:54 pm
Dont expect intelligeent conversation

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BerG;341874

Quote from: gray_man;342189
so true, im home with my gran for a week, just the two of us and straight away she pulls out the "god talk" card, we had a "nice" big talk and i thought i made some very valid points (many taken from this very thread).

But the fact of the matter is, they have an automatic /ignore function engrained into them. Just the way it is. No arguing with them. She keeps telling me about all these miricle stories, i retort with a "how do you know they are true, and not just thrown out there to be believed by the ignorant", her response is "why would anyone make up a story like that, why would they do such a thing, there is no reason for them doing it".

Least the 2 hours from aucks to whangus went by quik :bounce:

I've been saying it since page 2 but we'll recap it
Quote from: Wikipedia
Cognitive dissonance is a psychological term which describes the uncomfortable tension that comes from holding two conflicting thoughts at the same time. More precisely, it is the perception of incompatibility between two cognitions, where "cognition" is defined as any element of knowledge, including attitude, emotion, belief, or behavior.

The theory of cognitive dissonance states that contradicting cognitions serve as a driving force that compels the mind to acquire or invent new thoughts or beliefs, or to modify existing beliefs, so as to reduce the amount of dissonance (conflict) between cognitions. Experiments have attempted to quantify this hypothetical drive.

Simply put: Given two conflicting attitudes or beliefs a persons cognitive(that is 'thinking ability' to you dumb people) functions immediately either discard, dismember or incorporate the new attitude/information/belief into their own. This is basically the main reason why religions are so fractured, except for Islam which is fractured on birthright/power issues.

You cant attack faith with reason. You attack it with facts

Also: This thread has a point. It weeds out the weak. Or I weed out the weak. Or weakly weed. One of those

Reply #1153 Posted: February 18, 2007, 08:41:59 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Munc_her

• Devoted Member
  • Munc_her has no influence.
God is BS, we know that. The world was made by Aliens as an experiment to test an unknown bacteria in these conditions, it worked and us we speak we are being monitored and constantly tested while we sleep without even knowing it.

Game over, thread closed.

Reply #1154 Posted: February 18, 2007, 08:54:52 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Damn those aliens! Damn them all to Hell!

Reply #1155 Posted: February 18, 2007, 08:59:37 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Munc_her;342241
God is BS, we know that. The world was made by Aliens as an experiment to test an unknown bacteria in these conditions, it worked and us we speak we are being monitored and constantly tested while we sleep without even knowing it.

SPORE hasnt even been released yet!!!

Its not fair that a beta test could shut down a whole project like this!

Reply #1156 Posted: February 18, 2007, 09:18:51 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: Munc_her;342241

aliens?! dont be so controversial. evolution is where the parties at.

Reply #1157 Posted: February 18, 2007, 10:58:41 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: 'frog.;342357
aliens?! dont be so controversial. evolution is where the parties at.

My pants are where the parties at. And my pants are ALWAYS evolving.

Reply #1158 Posted: February 19, 2007, 12:05:40 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
is it me, or did all the religious people ignore my post about human genome containing >50% viral information...

Reply #1159 Posted: February 19, 2007, 10:18:36 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Bahaaha, some religious lady just comes to my door.

Her- "I just want to share this magazine with you, do you think religion is losing its impact in the modern age?"

Me- "Yes"

Her- *Laugh* *Pulls out bible* "Is it ok if I just read you a few scriptures?"

Me- "No"

Fuck off.

Reply #1160 Posted: February 19, 2007, 11:19:02 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BerG;342655
Bahaaha, some religious lady just comes to my door.

Her- "I just want to share this magazine with you, do you think religion is losing its impact in the modern age?"

Me- "Yes"

Her- *Laugh* *Pulls out bible* "Is it ok if I just read you a few scriptures?"

Me- "No"

You should have read a few pages of Maddox to her.

Reply #1161 Posted: February 19, 2007, 11:40:59 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: dirtyape;342613
is it me, or did all the religious people ignore my post about human genome containing >50% viral information...

Of course. Standard procedure.

Reply #1162 Posted: February 19, 2007, 12:03:58 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
  • Prowess has no influence.
Quote from: dirtyape;342613

sorry i took so long ihad had to read up on it.as far as i have read you are a host
carrying viral dna.

Reply #1163 Posted: February 19, 2007, 05:39:38 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Spacemonkey;341317
But it has happened, because we have had evolution.

if you cant prove it has happened then it might not have.

loss of information can create new species.

no loss of information creates a new sub species (a poodle).

Humans and chimpanzees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution#Evidence_of_evolution

"The development of molecular genetics, and particularly of DNA sequencing, has allowed biologists to study the record of evolution left in organisms' genetic structures. The degrees of similarity and difference in the DNA sequences of modern species allows geneticists to reconstruct their lineages. It is from DNA sequence comparisons that figures such as the 96% genotypic similarity between humans and chimpanzees are obtained."

i read a review of this report this was a guess by a university lecturer and he was way of the mark.when the entirer dna chain had been looked at it was 82.5%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution#Evidence_of_evolution

"Other examples of vestigial structures include the degenerate eyes of blind cave-dwelling fish, and the presence of hip bones in whales and snakes. Such structures may exist with little or no function in a more current organism, yet have a clear function in an ancestral species. Examples of vestigial structures in humans include wisdom teeth, the coccyx and the vermiform appendix.

blind cave fish is caused by a loss of information.

Do you have evidence of this?

I'm no mathematician, but I do know 4 billion years is a very long time.

yes sir fred hoyle (who is an evolutionist but does not believe in dawinism)when asked the
odds of the simplest he reasoned that it would take 2,000 different enzymes and the chances that all these enzymes 'just happen' to appear'though natural movement of
molecules? 1 in 10 with 40,000 zeros after it.and just so you know mathematicians regard
anything with more than 50 zeros behind it impossible.

Reply #1164 Posted: February 19, 2007, 05:48:28 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Spacemonkey;341314
You mean what the church says.

All Jesus said was love one another, all the rest is church mumbo jumbo.

To be a Christian just means that you believe Jesus was the sun of God. When it comes down to a persons morals and values and how they live their life, it's should be up to them to chose what they want to believe in, it shouldn't be forced onto them by the church.

no i mean what hebrew scholars say.and no again to know that jesus was the son of god
is not enough. to be a christian you have to know god and jesus and how else do you
get to know god apart from reading your bible.ps if you think listerning voices in your
head is a good idea you might want to talk to a professional.

Reply #1165 Posted: February 19, 2007, 05:58:33 pm

Quote from: Prowess;343054
yes sir fred hoyle (who is an evolutionist but does not believe in dawinism)when asked the
odds of the simplest he reasoned that it would take 2,000 different enzymes and the chances that all these enzymes 'just happen' to appear'though natural movement of
molecules? 1 in 10 with 40,000 zeros after it.and just so you know mathematicians regard
anything with more than 50 zeros behind it impossible.

Thats talking about how life started, not evolution.

Evolution is based on the fact that there is already life to begin with, and evolution takes off from there and creates new species.

Reply #1166 Posted: February 19, 2007, 06:00:08 pm

Quote from: Prowess;343072
no i mean what hebrew scholars say.and no again to know that jesus was the son of god
is not enough. to be a christian you have to know god and jesus and how else do you
get to know god apart from reading your bible.ps if you think listerning voices in your
head is a good idea you might want to talk to a professional.

I read all kinds of information, encyclopedias, wikipedia, science magazines, and the bible.

Then with this knowledge i spends ages thinking about a nature of the universe.

Basing you're beliefs one just one book is a bit silly imo,

I'm not saying the bible is a bad reference text, in terms of religious history it's quite a good one, but it shouldn't be the only thing you rely on.

Reply #1167 Posted: February 19, 2007, 06:04:10 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Charlie C;340927
....but you're making it up!!  What context are you talking about, unless you made it up??

We're seeing evolution of the planets all the time in the world and the universe around us.  Darwin's theory of evolution when applied to animals was an intelligent guess, but he was startled at the absolute acceptance given to it, he himself believed it was flawed.  

Since Darwin, hard core evolutionists have been desperately trying to make it all fit the theory, instead of working out what's really happening and modifying the theory when more is known.  For example, I've yet to see a link between apes and men that is stronger than a wet noodle, but it's still the generally accepted theory of how we came about, not because it's been proved, but because people need something to believe.  As long as it's not a creative God.

pierre-paul grasse is a freach zoologist and evolutionist this is his quote."this text suggests
that modern bacteria are evolving very quickly,thanks to their innumerable mutations.
now,this is not true. for millions, or even billions, of years, bacteria have not transgressed
the structural framewithin which they have always fluctuated and still do .....to vary and to
evolve are two different things; this can never be sufficiently emphasized.
despite their innumerable mutations,erophila verna [whitlow grass],viola tricola[wild pansy],
and the rest do not evolve.this is a fact.

he believes evolution happens in very quick burst because there is no evidence so sugest
it happens slowly.

Reply #1168 Posted: February 19, 2007, 06:21:12 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Spacemonkey;343081
I read all kinds of information, encyclopedias, wikipedia, science magazines, and the bible.

Then with this knowledge i spends ages thinking about a nature of the universe.

Basing you're beliefs one just one book is a bit silly imo,

I'm not saying the bible is a bad reference text, in terms of religious history it's quite a good one, but it shouldn't be the only thing you rely on.

you are basing your juggment on what you and other humans think.
we only have one example of someone who was more id listern to him over
other humans any day.ps how many times have you seen corrections printed
and sceience books corrected all so far.the bible has never been proved wrong
historicaly or sceintificly.

Reply #1169 Posted: February 19, 2007, 06:27:03 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
proved wrong?
I'll repeat myself here.
The phrase "jesus will return SOON" is from the bible, and its rather well known, and not open to much interpretation. 2000 years is not soon and he hasn't returned. therefore its a lie.
the koran (sp) hasn't been edited either. And I'd be willing to bet the many long dead religions had very few edits. Theres a pattern here, but you can't see it from the inside.

Reply #1170 Posted: February 19, 2007, 06:46:24 pm

Quote from: Prowess;343105
you are basing your juggment on what you and other humans think.
we only have one example of someone who was more id listern to him over
other humans any day.ps how many times have you seen corrections printed
and sceience books corrected all so far.the bible has never been proved wrong
historicaly or sceintificly.

THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN BY HUMANS!

God didn't get a pen and start writing down stuff, humans did, they may have been 'inspired' by God, But the terrorists who flew the planes into the twin towers were also 'inspired' by God.

I've read the bible, and as a historic text and moral guide it's quite valid. But it's pretty stupid to accept the bible as the only truth and ignore everything else.

In my case, I consider looking at all the view points, then decide myself what I want to belive, not what a book tells me.

Reply #1171 Posted: February 19, 2007, 07:38:31 pm

Quote from: Black Heart;343141

The phrase "jesus will return SOON" is from the bible, and its rather well known, and not open to much interpretation. 2000 years is not soon and he hasn't returned. therefore its a lie.

Maybe he did return, but no-one believed him, and he got locked up in a mental hospital.

But I would have to disagree with you about the 'soon' part. Life on Earth has been around for billions of years, so 2000 years is just a speak in the grand scheme of things. So what could be 'soon' to God could in fact be millions of years to humans.

However considering the phrase 'Jesus will return soon', I think that whoever wrote this meant not that Jesus will come again to Earth soon, but that humans will see Jesus soon, i.e after they die. Giving all the translation errors that could have happened, it's easy to see how the statement could have been misinterpreted.

Reply #1172 Posted: February 19, 2007, 07:46:43 pm

Offline joshmaister

• Just settled in
  • joshmaister has no influence.
or you could just double post

Reply #1173 Posted: February 19, 2007, 07:52:07 pm
Quote from: AintNoMeInTeam;350563
I had fun last night too!!
free skillz

it's this crazy new system, i don't know what going on anymore.

Reply #1174 Posted: February 19, 2007, 09:08:29 pm