Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xt1ncT;327685
Religion also has so much to answer for - almost every single war for a start. The corruption of so many religions makes me laugh - the Catholic Church for one.

Quote from: BerG;343797
Religion may have karate experts, but science has machine guns.

Quote from: KiLL3r;343847
science can create tanks with guns. Id like to see a shaolin monk beat a abrams tank

Some conflicting statements here.

First Xtinct say science loses because of all the wars it's responsible for.

But then we have others saying science wins because science have guns?!

Which is it guys?

Reply #1200 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:43:40 am

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
  • Prowess has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;343861
why because he wants to beat up a guy who thinks he is the king of men. in this day and age jesus would be in  a mental instituion

no if he could heal people like it says in the bible he would be worshiped as a god.
do you want to find the evidence or do you want a who can insult the best forum.
if you know nothing about either side why talk.you just look like someone who came
to a science debate with no knoledge and nothing to say.

Reply #1201 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:44:42 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: KiLL3r;343861
why because he wants to beat up a guy who thinks he is the king of men. in this day and age jesus would be in  a mental instituion

Jesus never proclaimed himself a king, it was his followers who did.

You should check your facts more.

Reply #1202 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:45:44 am

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;343862
so where your physical evidence that god exist? We may have a few fossils buts it a hell of a lot more than what youve got

this is where we look at historic evidence.

Reply #1203 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:46:43 am

Quote from: Prowess;343872

fossils are historic evidence.

Reply #1204 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:47:18 am

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Spacemonkey;343873
fossils are historic evidence.

like i said the amout of fossils that support evolution are few and far between.

Reply #1205 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:49:59 am

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
dont start this shit

you both know what jesus did is impossible, don't be such idiots.

the guy had a good message to preach, fucken good on him - but that's all hes got.

Reply #1206 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:51:29 am

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
Quote from: Prowess;343875
like i said the amout of fossils that support evolution are few and far between.

FUCKEN LOL

bring it.

Reply #1207 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:52:01 am

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Prowess;343872

ok so what evidence is this? and dont say the bible i can write a book full of nonsense too.

Reply #1208 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:54:23 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;343867

Which is it guys?

What the hell are you on monkey?

Reply #1209 Posted: February 20, 2007, 12:43:45 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;343836
According to the bible, Jesus didn't perform miracles just to show off, he did it to help people.

So I doubt he would be the kind of guy to walk on water just to prove he was Jesus,.

Well how the hell else is he supposed to prove he is jesus!??

We have retards all the time proclaiming to be jesus, if he doesnt do something to prove he is jesus when he returns then he is an idiot.

Then again, god and company are very good at not leaving any evidence which supports what they say we must believe to be accepted into heaven.

Reply #1210 Posted: February 20, 2007, 12:49:38 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: Prowess;343860
you say its science vrs religion but its not its evolution vrs religion.

No, it is Science vs Religion. , quantum mechanics, geology, biology, virology, etc. In fact evolution should not really be included at all because it's not testable and isn't really a very good theory. But then thats why it gets picked on isn't it, too easy to discredit.

But, what about discrediting these:

Cosmology: Light from 10 billion year old stars observed
Cosmology: Big Bang predicted to have occured
Astronomy: Background cosmic radiation compliements Big Bang theory
Astronomy: Extra solar planets discovered
Geology: Sedement deposits take hundreds of thousands of years to accumulate
Geology: frogs are found in amber which is 25 million years old
Virology/Biology: Viral DNA has been imbedded in human genome since humans existed
Quantum mechanics: when dealing with waves of probability even the unlikely occurance of a complex particle can become likely - simply for the fact that it can exist in an environment.

Of course, religious perogotive dictates that God can do anything, and that there needs to be no explanation. And really, none of the above discredits "God" in any way - it just discredits specific religious interpretations of god.

All I can say is that at least scientists maintain a level of common sense, and try and explain what is seen - rather than blindly accepting what our ancient and primitive ancestors believed. Maybe one day, scientists will discover a proper religion.

Quote from: Spacemonkey;343867

Which is it guys?

Science provides the tools, religion provides motives. But without motive - would the guns be used? So, where does the evil that men inflict upon each other come from?

And, for the record this is a quote from Mein Kampf, apparently Hitler whorshipped a Christian god:

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

So, really, is christianity the cause the jewish genocide? Apparently so...

Reply #1211 Posted: February 20, 2007, 01:21:30 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.

Reply #1212 Posted: February 20, 2007, 01:45:11 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;344033
Can we call it a draw?

no we'll call it a outright win for science.

Reply #1213 Posted: February 20, 2007, 02:05:17 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
Science and technology is the new religion.

As the climate changes, instead of changing our practices we look to science and technology and have faith that someone will discover a solution.

Reply #1214 Posted: February 20, 2007, 02:25:46 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline gray_man

• Just settled in
  • gray_man has no influence.
THIS IS WHAT WE WIL DO, ITS THE ONLY LOGIC WAY

GO GET A COIN, MAKE SURE ITS GOT A HEAD AND A TAILS!!!!

FLIP IT!!

CATCH IT!!

SLAP IT OVER ONTO THE BACK OF YOUR OTHER HAND!!

IF ITS HEADS >>>>>>> SCIENCE WINS

IF ITS TAILS >>>>>>> RELIGION LOOSES

THE END!!

and now we know the answer and can make a new thread, something to do with what we (the scientists) will call ourselves, im leaning towards the "UNITED ATHIEST ALLIANCE"

omg i better get some rep for this post, i just want to get my second bar!!!

Reply #1215 Posted: February 20, 2007, 05:14:09 pm
Dont expect intelligeent conversation

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: gray_man;344306
THIS IS WHAT WE WIL DO, ITS THE ONLY LOGIC WAY

GO GET A COIN, MAKE SURE ITS GOT A HEAD AND A TAILS!!!!

FLIP IT!!

CATCH IT!!

SLAP IT OVER ONTO THE BACK OF YOUR OTHER HAND!!

IF ITS HEADS >>>>>>> SCIENCE WINS

IF ITS TAILS >>>>>>> RELIGION LOOSES

THE END!!

and now we know the answer and can make a new thread, something to do with what we (the scientists) will call ourselves, im leaning towards the "UNITED ATHIEST ALLIANCE"

omg i better get some rep for this post, i just want to get my second bar!!!

i got heads, that was after a bit of human manipulation, because it actually fell on the bed and landed on its edge ><

Reply #1216 Posted: February 20, 2007, 05:27:25 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline gray_man

• Just settled in
  • gray_man has no influence.
Quote from: 'frog.;344321
i got heads, that was after a bit of human manipulation, because it actually fell on the bed and landed on its edge ><

ooh didnt take that into account, feel free to proclaim some sorta rule for when this happens

Reply #1217 Posted: February 20, 2007, 05:36:50 pm
Dont expect intelligeent conversation

Quote from: gray_man;344306

No, it should be the Allied Atheist Alliance!

Reply #1218 Posted: February 20, 2007, 05:42:51 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
I think i'm kind of agnostic, but that also starts with A so sweet as.

UNITED ATHIEST and AGNOSTIC ALLIANCE

UAAA

Reply #1219 Posted: February 20, 2007, 05:54:17 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;344341
No, it should be the Allied Atheist Alliance!
ive read a great quote by Albert Pike, in it he says you guys get owned.

Reply #1220 Posted: February 20, 2007, 05:55:06 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Quote from: 'frog.;344358
ive read a great quote by Albert Pike, in it he says you guys get owned.

Who guys?

Albert Pike? the KKK member?

Reply #1221 Posted: February 20, 2007, 05:59:07 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Prowess;343875

That's like showing people a bunch of photographs and saying "these photographs show little evidence that our ancestors ever moved." There are plenty of fossils which show evolution. Just because scientists can't create a flipbook of fossils showing a fish evolving into a man doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are more than enough examples hinting one way or the other, fish with legs, monkey with gills etc, that would imply that one type of creature evolved into another.

Reply #1222 Posted: February 20, 2007, 06:39:01 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;343985
Quantum mechanics: when dealing with waves of probability even the unlikely occurance of a complex particle can become likely - simply for the fact that it can exist in an environment

I only recently learned about the Copenhagen Interpretation/Infinite regression theory and the 'transitional wave' theory. I learnt quantum mechanics differently, which appears to have caused arguments with my more learned friends.

I learned it this way: The less likely an occurance, the more likely a duality paradigm will occur, but with an exponentially decreasing possibility of both occurances not occuring.

And no: That's not the exact explanation, that's just an incredibly concise summary.
Quote from: dirtyape;344356
I think i'm kind of agnostic, but that also starts with A so sweet as.

[video]eU9a6kV2O74[/video]

Reply #1223 Posted: February 20, 2007, 08:42:20 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Quote from: Tiwaking!;344551

[youtube video]

That's is the biggest load of crap i've ever read.

In the law, if there is proof that someone did commit a crime, then they are guilty. If there is proof they someone didn't commit a crime then they are innocent. If there is no proof either way then that person is still considered a suspect.

The statement "Innocent until proven guilty" is grounded in human rights, not science. Scientifically, if there is no proof either way, then the suspect can be either innocent or guilty.

How that video explained the "scientific method" is wrong. You can't have a theory based on lack of evidence.

An agnostic is still the most logical, he knows there is no evidence, and therefore makes no judgment. How can that method be flawed?

Also the last statement in the video makes no sense at all. That guy has no idea what he's on about.

Reply #1224 Posted: February 21, 2007, 09:36:18 am