Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Netherai

• Just settled in
  • Netherai has no influence.
Quote from: laurasaur
If you're right, I WILL BE DEAD AND HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE of anything, and therefore seriously not care. So how can it suck to be me?

Because if he's right, this is all you have, EVER, the most precious gift of life and we're wasting it earning money, retiring, growing old and dying with nothing to look forward to :( This is it.

People have different ideas of what hell is too. Everything from the vision of Tartarus through to fire and brimstone, through to being in a place entirely devoid of God's love... I guess it depends what you believe, what's yours?

Netherai.

Reply #125 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:05:16 pm
L\'enfer, c\'est les autres

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xt1ncT
That's a lod of rubbish, I'm sorry but it is.

I am aware that I am typing this. And that awareness comes from where??? My head, and what's in my head?? Yep, well done, my brain.

It's clear that you dont understand what I mean, and I doubt I can it explain it to you, but I have thought about it alot, and know what i'm talking about.

Reply #126 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:06:17 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
err please point me in the new virus/bacteria aren't new posts i've re-read the whole topic and found nothing.

Better still just tell me who had AIDS before 1980.

Gosh its amazing how many breeds of dog there are. where were they 500 years ago?

While laura is going to great pains to show evolution isn't selective breeding or natural selection, also that dating methods are flawed, I contend the bible is wrong because god rested on the seventh day, yet poodles are pretty darn recent.

and Laura how old do you say the earth is, because in the bible its around 10,000 years is it not?

funny we should be seeing light from stars 100's of billion of light years away.

Reply #127 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:09:20 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
  • Xt1ncT has no influence.
Quote from: Space Monkey
It's clear that you dont understand what I mean, and I doubt I can it explain it to you, but I have thought about it alot, and know what i'm talking about.
'Cos i don't agree with you I don't understand?? LMAO, I do understand, I just don't agree. I think it's a load of rubbish. Awareness of self comes from within, it's no proof whatsoever of life after death. It can't be.

There is no proof of life after death, just as there is no proof of an almighty being/entity called god (or other name). This same debate has been done for eons, and will be done for eons.

The same result will always happen. You won't persuade me, I won't persuade you. Agree to disagree and move on. Sceptics and cynics will always be so. Just as religious people who want to thrust their own belief system on you will always be so, and will always want to do so. This is why certain subjects are never brought up in social circles - relgion and politics. It makes perfectly normal rational people want to scream and shout and yell at each other until blue in the face. Either that or get guns and invade (or horses and swords and arrows ie the crusades)

Just cos someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't make them any less intelligent, and there is certainly no need for an arrogant statement like "Clearly you don't understand...."

I've said my piece, my views won't change until Growler's man with the proof comes along. Until then, there is no god, there is no afterlife, there is this life and you're dead a long time.

Cheers

Xt

Reply #128 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:12:09 pm

Offline ice_lioness

• Just settled in
  • ice_lioness has no influence.
Quote from: Black Heart
err please point me in the new virus/bacteria aren't new posts i've re-read the whole topic and found nothing.

Better still just tell me who had AIDS before 1980.

Gosh its amazing how many breeds of dog there are. where were they 500 years ago?

While laura is going to great pains to show evolution isn't selective breeding or natural selection, also that dating methods are flawed, I contend the bible is wrong because god rested on the seventh day, yet poodles are pretty darn recent.

and Laura how old do you say the earth is, because in the bible its around 10,000 years is it not?

funny we should be seeing light from stars 100's of billion of light years away.

Can you really be sure that aids did not exist before 1980.. perhaps they just haven't classified it yet?

Reply #129 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:13:13 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: ice_lioness
Can you really be sure that aids did not exist before 1980.. perhaps they just haven't classified it yet?
what about ebola, and bird flu. Those are 2 recent types of virus

Reply #130 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:15:24 pm

Offline sacredpossum

• Devoted Member
  • sacredpossum has no influence.
laura do you believe in hell? and the devil?

Reply #131 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:19:18 pm
Why? Shut up that\'s why.

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: sacredpossum
laura do you believe in hell? and the devil?
That's a yes by default. She believes in heaven, and you can't have heaven without hell.

Reply #132 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:20:15 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: ice_lioness

yes its symptoms are reasonably unique (and easily identified- by doctors, etc) maybe some third world country where people just fall down and are fortunate if they get buried it existed beforehand, but I doubt it as it's quite an epidemic in those places now, and it would have been an epidemic much sooner if it was around long ago.
even 1950's doctors would have been able to identify a new virus.

Reply #133 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:20:31 pm

Offline ice_lioness

• Just settled in
  • ice_lioness has no influence.
true but I do believe in evolution and thing that have yet to come. I just hope as a race we dont degenerate into a lower intelligent form .... there are a lot of dumb people out there

Reply #134 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:20:41 pm

Offline sacredpossum

• Devoted Member
'(or other name). This same debate has been done for eons, and will be done for eons.

there is no god, there is no afterlife, there is this life and you're dead a long time.

Cheers

Xt

tsk tsk
so i guess you don't believe in santa claus ?

Reply #135 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:22:13 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_evolution

easy find, where do i go to find something refuting viral evolution?

Reply #136 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:25:04 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart

Evoloution is the devlopment of new speices, all diffrent dog breeds are still the same species, that has nothing to do with evoloution, just cross breading.

The bible is not 10,000 years old.

Why is that funny?

Reply #137 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:26:37 pm

Offline sacredpossum

• Devoted Member
i'll tell you about hell and the devil

christianity was created to control people. the devil is a ploy to control people. they say that if you don't obey their ten rules they made up you will go to hell. the concept of the devil and hell is simply a way to keep people scared and under their control

thats what was so wrong about christians burning witches, they said it was because that they were the spawn of the devil and all of this other bs, witches don't believe in the devil, all of that bs was made up to scare ppl into their religion ie, "if you don't go to church on sunday, you will be burned"

i believe in an after life, but there's no golden gates or red monsters with pointy tails

Reply #138 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:27:06 pm

That's a yes by default. She believes in heaven, and you can't have heaven without hell.

You can't answer for other people, and yes you can belive in heaven without hell, people can belive in what ever they want.

Reply #139 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:28:35 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: Space Monkey
You can't answer for other people, and yes you can belive in heaven without hell, people can belive in what ever they want.
yes people can believe what they want.

But the whole religious premise is that if *you* are good you go to heaven. If *you* are bad but repent *you* go to heaven. If not *you* go to hell.

On that basis, *you* can't believe in heaven if *you* don't believe in hell. Belive in one, by default the other has to be true as well.

And when you read you in the above it's a generic you, doesn't necessarily mean you Space Monkey.

Reply #140 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:33:48 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
so what about the religions that have no heaven or hell???

Reply #141 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:34:48 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler
so what about the religions that have no heaven or hell???
what about them? They have neither, so believe in neither??

Reply #142 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:36:27 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Hinduism believes in transmigration of the soul. Such transmigration is what results in reincarnation. This, in short, is the popular theory of Karma.

so if this religion is in fact the one true correct religion, which it could be as it has the most followers, then there is no heaven hell or in between..... so people like laura can be totally wrong?

is that not a valid point?

Reply #143 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:43:06 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Hinduism believes in transmigration of the soul. Such transmigration is what results in reincarnation. This, in short, is the popular theory of Karma.

so if this religion is in fact the one true correct religion, which it could be as it has the most followers, then there is no heaven hell or in between..... so people like laura can be totally wrong?

is that not a valid point?
OK, now I get you, I thought you were alluding to something else.

Of course it'a a valid point, but again it's something which is down to personal belief. That there is reincarnation. Again I say, show me the proof.

Reply #144 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:47:12 pm

Offline Growler

That there is reincarnation. Again I say, show me the proof.

I ate and killed some food last night, and this morning it came out "reincarnated" as a big pile-o-shit

thers the rpoof that reincarnation exisits!  :rnr: hahahahah

Reply #145 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:50:26 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
I ate and killed some food last night, and this morning it came out "reincarnated" as a big pile-o-shit

thers the rpoof that reincarnation exisits!  :rnr: hahahahah
Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure that would count as reincarnation....good try though. I hope you opened the windows..!!! :rnr:

Reply #146 Posted: August 23, 2005, 03:56:48 pm

Offline Growler

trying to prove/disprove anyones individual religious beliefs, or turn someone as such, is just NEVER going to work.

Laura can tell me till she is blue in the face that GOD exisits, and that im going to hell, and i will continue to laugh and drink my beer. Laura may intrun feel pity or hatred for me, as maybe my head isint on straight, or maybe i have just been blinded by ignorance. But they are her beliefs, and her choice, as long as she is not trying to force anything on me, i will quite happily read all the info put in front of me, as it all makes a bloody good read (apart from the bible, tried once, meh as much fun as using my nuts for a cue ball).

But if heaven and hell do exsist, and God is meant to be the all forgiving and died for our sins, then doenst that make every sinner elegiable for heaven anyway? regardless of how good or bad we are?

Reply #147 Posted: August 23, 2005, 04:13:38 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Netherai

• Just settled in
  • Netherai has no influence.
But if heaven and hell do exsist, and God is meant to be the all forgiving and died for our sins, then doenst that make every sinner elegiable for heaven anyway? regardless of how good or bad we are?

I think this is one area where Catholicism and greater Christianity disagree. Most sin in Christianity can be forgiven if you suffer true regret for your actions and ask forgiveness. One sin cannot be forgiven, suicide, as there is no time to repent since it's your own life you take.

I _think_ that Catholicism encourages "earning" forgiveness through your hail-marys and other tasks, I'm not sure if Catholicism requires true penetence, just hard work in order to earn forgiveness. I'm sure this has diverged from earlier Catholic dogma since earlier folk would have been truly god-fearing people, but no longer.

However, Catholicism introduces the new improved Heaven and Hell, with Purgatory, a means of redemption without entering Hell, you can earn forgiveness and ascend to Heaven by repenting in Purgatory. Can anyone actually end up in Catholic Hell?

Reply #148 Posted: August 23, 2005, 04:30:42 pm
L\'enfer, c\'est les autres

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
trying to prove/disprove anyones individual religious beliefs, or turn someone as such, is just NEVER going to work.

Laura can tell me till she is blue in the face that GOD exisits, and that im going to hell, and i will continue to laugh and drink my beer. Laura may intrun feel pity or hatred for me, as maybe my head isint on straight, or maybe i have just been blinded by ignorance. But they are her beliefs, and her choice, as long as she is not trying to force anything on me, i will quite happily read all the info put in front of me, as it all makes a bloody good read (apart from the bible, tried once, meh as much fun as using my nuts for a cue ball).

What he said...!!!

I totally agree (although I am trying not to think about the cue-ball and nuts thing....)

I've had some contact with Mormons, some very good friends of my parents are, and my mum was one for a period of time. What I hate about them is the way they force their beliefs on people.

My opinion is that they can beleive whatever they want. It really doesn't bother me. Just DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO CONVERT ME...!!!!

I will happily agree to live and let live, besides, I think beer is far better to worship.....mmmmmmmmmmmm beer.......

Reply #149 Posted: August 23, 2005, 04:31:27 pm