Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Men who lived thousands of years ago wrote the Bible. The authors had limited knowledge of the nature of the universe and wrote the Bible based on what they believed at the time. They didn't know the Earth was round and that it orbited the Sun, which is a star among billions of stars in the galaxy which is but one galaxy in billions of galaxies that have existed for billions of years. To them, the world was flat. There was up and there was down and God lived in the sky. They didn't know the world was round and there was no such thing as "up". They didn't know that the sky was a thin layer of gas that surrounds the surface of this planet. We have been to the sky and we have been above the sky and God isn't living there.

Reply #1400 Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:04:12 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
it is a pity that the bible is so twisted that it has a large number of people convinced there is no such thing as "god" at all. In fact, so badly so that we probably need to do away with the word "god" completely as it has been permanently sullied.

But this is only becuase the christian god is so far fetched that it is an insult to any sane modern man's intelligence. God created man in his image? Do they not realise how absolutely arrogant that is? I can understand how some ancient sheepherder could believe that, but a modern human? You are saying that HUMANS are the ultimate species in the universe. That we are somehow special compared to ever single other form of life. That is  preposterous.

I've been investigating some religious forums, i've made 14 posts and have been threatened with a ban 3 times. And thats only because i've been asking questions. The forum appears to be a bunch of mostly uneducated christians gathering to reassure one-another that their religion is THE true representation of reality.

Reply #1401 Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:25:15 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline 1/2Pulse.

• Addicted
  • 1/2Pulse. has no influence.
Bible is gat and over rated I have a mini tiny pocket bible by 3cm each side and I read the 1st page then had to take a panadol.

Reply #1402 Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:32:26 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: dirtyape;364376
I've been investigating some religious forums, i've made 14 posts and have been threatened with a ban 3 times. And thats only because i've been asking questions. The forum appears to be a bunch of mostly uneducated christians gathering to reassure one-another that their religion is THE true representation of reality.

That is one thing I will admit to - alot of modern Christians are so worried that they might be wrong that they don't even want to hear the arguments or questions that might make them need to rethink their beliefs. For example, they don't want to listen to music that disagrees with them or watch movies that might challenge them - or allow people to post in their forum who might challenge them. I'm sorry to hear that you got such a negative response :disappoin

Its the biggest modern day Christian irony of all: everybody says "we need to go into our city! We need to save or schools and workplaces!" but then when its a case of "ok, who will go?" everyone sits on their hands and stays quiet. Not saying that I'm right, and not bragging or anything, but thats one reason I like my church - we actually do some good; for example we ran a 100% free Christmas Day lunch for the community at our local community centre, provided free entertainment and gave everyone who came a massive roast turkey meal and a gift basket to take away with them (and no preaching!); and many other similar projects in our city.

What I'm trying to say is that if the church wants to be relevant, then we need to step back from trying to push "God" and just push "life". If I'm being honest with myself, people are no longer interested in God.

I hope that reads the way it sounded in my head (it made sense in there :D)

Reply #1403 Posted: March 17, 2007, 04:29:44 pm

Offline KiLL3r

christianity needs to be refiled under mythology not religion

Reply #1404 Posted: March 17, 2007, 04:33:04 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
  • Prowess has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;364633

What I'm trying to say is that if the church wants to be relevant, then we need to step back from trying to push "God" and just push "life". If I'm being honest with myself, people are no longer interested in God.

who said the church wants to be relevent? it is a direct command to proclame gods name
to all nations.if you take god out of it you may as well gone some drinking club at least
then you have a purpose.i know some christians are mindless, weak idiots but that does not mean there is no god. where does the bible say the earth is flat?what the hells with the
unicorns?how about being more specific when you say what part of the bible has been proved
wrong by science.

Reply #1405 Posted: March 17, 2007, 06:40:07 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Prowess;364700
where does the bible say the earth is flat?

nowhere. if you took the time to read youd see that is aid back when the bible was written people believed the earth was flat and therefore believed god lived in the clouds. of course since the earth is round and we now know that above the sky is space with a infinite number of planet that makes the bible wrong ;)

Reply #1406 Posted: March 17, 2007, 06:42:42 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: dirtyape;364376

But this is only becuase the christian god is so far fetched that it is an insult to any sane modern man's intelligence. God created man in his image? Do they not realise how absolutely arrogant that is? I can understand how some ancient sheepherder could believe that, but a modern human? You are saying that HUMANS are the ultimate species in the universe. That we are somehow special compared to ever single other form of life. That is  preposterous.

you point out another speices that has invented somthing
and ill say we are not special.

Reply #1407 Posted: March 17, 2007, 06:45:46 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;364703
nowhere. if you took the time to read youd see that is aid back when the bible was written people believed the earth was flat and therefore believed god lived in the clouds. of course since the earth is round and we now know that above the sky is space with a infinite number of planet that makes the bible wrong ;)

that does not prove the bible wrong some people today belive
that mary didnt die she was taken into heaven but the bible
doesn't say that either.

Reply #1408 Posted: March 17, 2007, 06:49:23 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
Quote from: Prowess;364704

"Chimpanzees in Senegal have been observed making and using wooden spears to hunt other primates, according to a study in the journal Current Biology."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6387611.stm

Say it.

Reply #1409 Posted: March 17, 2007, 06:55:42 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Prowess;364704

LOL.

Oh dear.

Reply #1410 Posted: March 17, 2007, 06:57:59 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Fragin';364712
"Chimpanzees in Senegal have been observed making and using wooden spears to hunt other primates, according to a study in the journal Current Biology."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6387611.stm

Say it.

thats not an invention that throwing a stick.

Reply #1411 Posted: March 17, 2007, 06:59:24 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Prowess;364716

An invention is an object, process, or technique which displays an element of novelty. An invention may sometimes be based on earlier developments, collaborations or ideas, and the process of invention requires at least the awareness that an existing concept or method can be modified or transformed into an invention.

the key word was "making", not just picking up a random branch and throwing it

Reply #1412 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:01:17 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: Prowess;364716

I can't win.

Faced with undeniable evidence he sticks to his guns. Such is the nature of someone who has a closed mind.

Reply #1413 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:03:35 pm
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;364718
the key word was "making", not just picking up a random branch and throwing it

tell me what part they made

Reply #1414 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:03:42 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
THEY MADE A SPEAR.

IE, THEY SHARPENED A STICK, KNOWING A SHARP STICK DOES MORE DAMAGE TO THE OTHER ANIMALS

A STICK IS NOT A SPEAR, HOWEVER YOU CAN MAKE A STICK INTO A SPEAR BY SHARPENING IT.

Reply #1415 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:05:08 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: Prowess;364721

"In most cases, the Fongoli chimpanzees carried out four or more steps to manufacture spears for hunting.

In all but one of the cases, chimps broke off a living branch to make their tool. They would then trim the side branches and leaves.

In a number of cases, chimps also trimmed the ends of the branch and stripped it of bark. Some chimps also sharpened the tip of the tool with their teeth. "

Reply #1416 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:05:38 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Prowess;364721

"Chimpanzees in Senegal have been observed making and using wooden spears to hunt other primates"

last i heard spears didnt grow on trees they were just made from them.

Reply #1417 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:06:04 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Say it biaatch cmon.

I'm waiting.

Reply #1418 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:09:34 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
a sharened stick hardly constitutes a invention.

Reply #1419 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:09:40 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: Prowess;364729
a sharened stick hardly constitutes a invention.

Oh you meant like a steam engine or something like that yeah?

How silly of me to think that a spear is an invention. :bigglasse

Reply #1420 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:12:16 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0823_050823_spears_war.html

According to a new report, the invention and widespread use of the spear sparked a long period of nonviolence between tribes of early humans.

Anthropologist Raymond C. Kelly of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor made this observation after studying archaeological and evolutionary biological evidence to trace the roots of warfare.

Organized violence between groups of the same species is rare among most mammals. But chimpanzees, our closest relatives, are known to attack and kill members of neighboring chimp communities.

Some scientists look at our close genetic relationship to apes and theorize that the same factors that shaped violence among chimps also heavily shaped human behavior.

In a report published this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Kelly argues that the violent behavioral paths of chimps and humans diverged about one million years ago.

Development of weapons that could kill from a distance is a key factor separating human evolutionary history from that of chimps, he says.

What's more, long-range weapons likely contributed to the human capacity for developing and maintaining cooperative relations between neighbors.

Reply #1421 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:12:30 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
something more complex than huh this sharp one
hurts more than this one thats not sharp.

Reply #1422 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:15:35 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

He's got us guys.

Man invented the internal combustion engine, therefore god must exist.

PRAISE THE LORD.

Reply #1423 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:16:56 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
You can't win.

There's no way in. The road between Prowess and reality is a one-way street.

Reply #1424 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:18:08 pm