Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Prowess;364729
a sharened stick hardly constitutes a invention.

so i suppose the wheel isnt a invention either??

Reply #1425 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:28:15 pm

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: Prowess;364704
you point out another speices that has invented somthing
and ill say we are not special.

special omfg.

the only thing the human race has that is special, is ignorance.

Reply #1426 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:29:33 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Special.

How about those spiders that can form an air bubble around themselves so they can stay under the water for long periods.

How about those ants that can lift something like 6 times their own weight.

Most animals can do things humans would consider superhuman. The only difference is we have bigger brains, and like destroying things.

The world would be far better off WITHOUT humans.

Reply #1427 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:32:53 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: 'frog.;364743
special omfg.

the only thing the human race has that is special, is ignorance.

i think by 'we' he means christians

Reply #1428 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:33:42 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Monkeys using sticks to get ants out of holes is no different that man Building a sky scraper.  Both are simply animals using tools to the best of their physical and mental ability.

We're just the smartest animals in our little corner of the universe (for now), nothing more.

Reply #1429 Posted: March 17, 2007, 07:46:58 pm

Offline Catalyst

• Addicted
  • Catalyst barely matters.Catalyst barely matters.

Quote from: Zarathrustra;364758
Monkeys using sticks to get ants out of holes is no different that man Building a sky scraper.  Both are simply animals using tools to the best of their physical and mental ability.

We're just the smartest animals in our little corner of the universe (for now), nothing more.

invention = idea put to use
idea = something that could be developed into an invention

a monkey with a stick isn't an invention, its an idea had by the stupid little monkey, the skyscraper......good example of an invention, and a good example of a bad iea

Reply #1430 Posted: March 17, 2007, 08:07:49 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
Prowess promised to say that humans are not special if we could find another species that has invented something.

We found one.

Now he has a dilemma.....

He can't say what he promised to say because that would go against something that he has come to believe in. To say it and mean it would, I suspect, hurt pretty deeply since it would go against the thing that forms a large part of what he bases his view of the universe on ie The Bible. He might even have to start asking questions................

Still, you did promise.

Reply #1431 Posted: March 17, 2007, 08:16:53 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;364223
I was jokingly passing swift judgment on the new guy that joined in Feb 2007. I do realise I am still fairly new myself :D

No, I was poking fun at you stating you haven't posted anything serious in a month and a half, when you'd joined in june 2006... jokes suck when you have to explain them.

I was saying you hadn't posted anything serious.  :D

Reply #1432 Posted: March 17, 2007, 08:19:47 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Hey prowess how about neanderthals, they had stuff.

Reply #1433 Posted: March 17, 2007, 08:21:15 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: cata|yst;364772
invention = idea put to use
idea = something that could be developed into an invention

a monkey with a stick isn't an invention, its an idea had by the stupid little monkey, the skyscraper......good example of an invention, and a good example of a bad iea
The monkey invents a tool to get ants out of the hole - doesn't matter how simple the tool is, complexity isn't the argument here, the stick is still a tool/idea the monkey invented for a beneficial purpose.

I think that monkey deserves a DB.

Reply #1434 Posted: March 17, 2007, 08:34:12 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: Black Heart;364789
Thats a good point.  How does the bible class early forms of man, like the neanderthal?  Are they the ones God created in his own image?  What about poor little retarded kids, they created in gods image too?

Reply #1435 Posted: March 17, 2007, 08:38:48 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Zarathrustra;364806
Thats a good point.  How does the bible class early forms of man, like the neanderthal?  Are they the ones God created in his own image?  What about poor little retarded kids, they created in gods image too?

well according to my school bible teachers, dinosaurs and neanderthals never existed. When I questioned further about the existence of bones i was ignored. :violin:

Reply #1436 Posted: March 17, 2007, 08:53:27 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;364816
well according to my school bible teachers, dinosaurs and neanderthals never existed. When I questioned further about the existence of bones i was ignored. :violin:

That'd be right - 'mammoth in the room' kind of situation there. ;)

Reply #1437 Posted: March 17, 2007, 08:56:46 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.

Bible teachers are so easy to fluster :D

Reply #1438 Posted: March 17, 2007, 08:58:12 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
  • Prowess has no influence.
Quote from: Black Heart;364789

are the pigmy a different species or sub species? just cause they were different
doesn't mean they are a seperate species.

Quote from: Zarathrustra;364758

using a stick is using a stick smart yes invention no.

Reply #1439 Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:36:10 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Prowess;364898
are the pigmy a different species or sub species? just cause they were different
doesn't mean they are a seperate species.

we arnt talking about pigmys we are talking about neanderthols who existed a longtime before adam and eve supposedly existed

Reply #1440 Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:38:31 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: BerG;364746
Special.

How about those spiders that can form an air bubble around themselves so they can stay under the water for long periods.

How about those ants that can lift something like 6 times their own weight.

Most animals can do things humans would consider superhuman. The only difference is we have bigger brains, and like destroying things.

The world would be far better off WITHOUT humans.

yes and i know of ants that can bake and make napalm too.

Reply #1441 Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:41:29 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;364899
we arnt talking about pigmys we are talking about neanderthols who existed a longtime before adam and eve supposedly existed

"supposedly"  yet dinosaurs did live at the same time as humans
and we know the date they were given.

Reply #1442 Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:43:58 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in

yes your school teacher was not interested in learning the truth of
the world they were wrong but didn't get that from the bible.i belive
dinosaurs were on the ark.

Reply #1443 Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:48:20 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: Prowess;364902
"supposedly"  yet dinosaurs did live at the same time as humans
and we know the date they were given.

i belive
dinosaurs were on the ark.
Bahahaha...

sorry, had to laugh.

Reply #1444 Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:51:30 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Zarathrustra;364906
Bahahaha...

sorry, had to laugh.

what you dont belive they lived at the same time.

Reply #1445 Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:54:19 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
There's quite a large gap between the age of the last of the dinosaur fossils, and the earliest evidence of man.... like millions of years.

Oh wait... everything in history happened in the last 6000 years... guess I must be wrong then... :rolleyes:

Reply #1446 Posted: March 18, 2007, 12:02:51 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Black Heart
No, I was poking fun at you stating you haven't posted anything serious in a month and a half, when you'd joined in june 2006... jokes suck when you have to explain them.

I was saying you hadn't posted anything serious.  :D

I have let myself - and all of us - down yet again :disappoin  :D

Quote from: Prowess
who said the church wants to be relevent? it is a direct command to proclame gods name

Actually, its command is not just that. As is my understanding, part of the command is to PROCLAIM Gods name, and elsewhere it states to do that generationally (implying making the message relevant to each new generation). Also, the Bible says that we must be "Salt and Light unto the earth; what use is salt if it loses its flavour?" (I'm no Bible scholar, but I think that referes to freshness, which implies relevance). Also, the Bible has a lengthy passage about not putting new wine into old wineskins, which also has a strong implication of relevance. Nevermind the Bible: COMMONSENSE says to try and proclaim Gods name in a way in which people will understand - Jesus even understood this, so he spoke in parables.

In Laymans terms, lets say we stick to old traditions or ideas: what good is proclaiming Gods name if those we are meant to be proclaiming it to are standing around going "why the f*ck is he speaking latin/hebrew/aramaic/other?" Do you see what I mean?

(And on a tangent, do you think that could be why people are less and less drawn to the church? Because of the old ways? I mean, look at any large, growing church in the world and ask yourself what makes them different: I could almost guarantee its the way they PRESENT the message, not the message itself.)

The last thing we need here is 2 christians arguing over certain issues. The thread is titled "Religion vs Science" not "Religion A vs Religion B".

Reply #1447 Posted: March 18, 2007, 12:34:44 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Zarathrustra;364906
Bahahaha...

Don't laugh too quickly - as ridiculous as the idea that dinosaurs were on the ark sounds on the outside, the Bible says 2 of every kind of animal were on the ark; so 2 dogs were on there, not 2 golden retrievers, 2 wolves, 2 dingos, 2 chihuahuas, etc.

If I wasn't trying to desperately (translated: "what discussion?!") help Religion keep some respect, I would almost say that this idea of "kinds" of animal actually allows room for a type of evolution. If there were only 2 dogs, where did all the different types of dogs come from ...

Reply #1448 Posted: March 18, 2007, 12:38:46 am

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;364936
Don't laugh too quickly - as ridiculous as the idea that dinosaurs were on the ark sounds on the outside, the Bible says 2 of every kind of animal were on the ark; so 2 dogs were on there, not 2 golden retrievers, 2 wolves, 2 dingos, 2 chihuahuas, etc.

If I wasn't trying to desperately (translated: "what discussion?!") help Religion keep some respect, I would almost say that this idea of "kinds" of animal actually allows room for a type of evolution. If there were only 2 dogs, where did all the different types of dogs come from ...

Yeah, this is where these sort of things get perplexing.  The idea of an arc with two of each animal, even if you don't take sub-species into account is PREPOSTEROUS.  I mean, come on guys, common sense.

Some Farmer had a flood where he lived, and thought "fuck, I better try and save my best breading pairs of animals"  So he chucks a couple of pigs, cows, goats onto a boat, rides out the storm, etc, etc.  Few weeks later, the waters go down, it's a miracle this dude survived so long on a boat, so people start talking about it... the story grows, people exagerate, it gets written down a few times, becomes the basis for a legend, then some Roman dude decides "this myth will fit in well with this book of ancient stories I'm compiling"

Reply #1449 Posted: March 18, 2007, 12:47:43 am