Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline (BHP)Clyock

• Just settled in
  • (BHP)Clyock has no influence.
Can't help but get sucked into this thread.

There is one passage (i believe) that says "one man should not lie with another" and from this it is taken to say that homosexuality is wrong and against God.

It is most likely along the the lines of "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" a classic piece of misinterpretation that has been jumped on:ugh: by those who want it to mean what they want it to mean.

If homosexuality was against God you would think there would be a passage about lesbians but may the Almighty likes a little girl on girl.:sunnies:

Reply #1925 Posted: April 09, 2007, 01:29:32 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TofuEater;384477
So can you point to the bit where Jesus said "Kill all the fags"?

I too was curious about this question

"But fornication and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is fitting among saints. Let there be no filthiness, nor silly talk, nor levity, which are not fitting; but instead let there be thanksgiving. Be sure of this, that no fornicator or impure man, or one who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for it is because of these things that the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be joint-partakers with them, for once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:3-10)

The Bible does not teach that homosexual desires, or other forms of erotic desire, lust, envy, greed, covetousness (and so on) are in themselves sin though they may reflect a the universal diseased condition called sin. Temptation not acted on or responded to causes an individual to become stronger and does not incur moral guilt before the Lord. What God disapproves of is certain forms of behavior or conduct, and these certainly include homosexual acts. Heterosexual premarital activity seems to be equally weighted with homosexual acts in Scripture---both are sinful and worthy of death.

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. (1 Cor. 6:9-11)

"Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them. For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:17-20)

Reply #1927 Posted: April 09, 2007, 08:18:00 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;384598
Heterosexual premarital activity seems to be equally weighted with homosexual acts in Scripture---both are sinful and worthy of death

Well that's me fucked then. Unless i ask for forgiveness - then it's all ok, and i'm sitting on a cloud next to the "Big yin".

Reply #1928 Posted: April 09, 2007, 08:49:15 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TofuEater;384601
Well that's me fucked then. Unless i ask for forgiveness - then it's all ok, and i'm sitting on a cloud next to the "Big yin".

You might as well stick to guys Tofu.

Reply #1929 Posted: April 09, 2007, 09:54:20 am

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Quote from: (BHP)Clyock;384556
Can't help but get sucked into this thread.

There is one passage (i believe) that says "one man should not lie with another" and from this it is taken to say that homosexuality is wrong and against God.

It is most likely along the the lines of "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" a classic piece of misinterpretation that has been jumped on:ugh: by those who want it to mean what they want it to mean.

If homosexuality was against God you would think there would be a passage about lesbians but may the Almighty likes a little girl on girl.:sunnies:
I think the "not lie with men" thing is pretty clear in it's wording and intention.  The bible was written by men, men with good intentions mostly, even if those intentions were to control masses.

It's only been the past 20-30 out of 2-3000 years that society has come to accept homosexuality (to a degree).  And political correctness aside, it is an unnatural act and goes against not only religious beliefs, but is a bit of a punch in the face for evolution/natural selection.

Actually, if homosexuality was not frowned upon in the bible, then it may have become widely accepted centuries ago, and those who were that way inclined would have paired up together, never trying to hide their shame by marring woman and having children.  In effect, their genes would have been passed on substantially less, and natural selection would have done it's job, eliminating such inefficient  desires from the gene pool.

Edit:  I'm not anti-gay, I couldn't care less what people did - so no-one jump on that one please :)

Also, gayness is genetic. end.

If homosexuality was against God you would think there would be a passage about lesbians but may the Almighty likes a little girl on girl.

Man = Mankind, which includes woman :)

Reply #1930 Posted: April 09, 2007, 10:12:55 am

Offline (BHP)Clyock

• Just settled in
Quote from: Zarathrustra;384623
It's only been the past 20-30 out of 2-3000 years that society has come to accept homosexuality (to a degree).  And political correctness aside, it is an unnatural act and goes against not only religious beliefs, but is a bit of a punch in the face for evolution/natural selection.

Infact way before the Bible homosexual relationships were common and widely accepted in many civilisations. Spartans (very topical again) were reknowned for older men taking young male lovers who were going through their military training. Other Greek city states, the Romans and the Persians were all at it. In many cultures homosexuals had a revered status like those in North American cultures and many in the Pacific Isles.

Not untill the enlightenment of Western religion arrived and it was "explained" to these people their practices were wrong did the Stigma of same sex relationships appear.

As for natural selection how about this being the perfect way of removing a section of the gene pool by making sure it doesn't propagate itself?

Also, gayness is genetic. end.
But you also say that it is an unnatural act, but if it is genetic how can it be unatural?

It's like saying that a white tiger is unnatural as it is it's genes that make it white but it is not natural for tigers to be white.

Man = Mankind, which includes woman
Wouln't this mean the Bible is saying men and woman shouldn't lie togther also, how do you make more little worshipers if they can't bonk?

I know I'm asking for trouble, but how about a little reasoned debate over this eh?

Reply #1931 Posted: April 09, 2007, 12:50:11 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: (BHP)Clyock
Wouln't this mean the Bible is saying men and woman shouldn't lie togther also, how do you make more little worshipers if they can't bonk?
As is my understanding, the bible was written relevant to the time in which it was written. It was written for church/synagogue leadership (rabbis), who at that time were all men. However, I do believe that what stands for man also stands for woman. The Bible says we are all equal, so I see no reason that man would not be implicative of mankind as a whole.

Several verses used to justify the Biblical-based stance on homosexuality:
Quote from: Romans 1:27
27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
Quote from: 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

As I've said, I'm no expert on the bible, nor an expert on homosexuality. I'm not anti-gay - it just seems wrong to me. But I don't judge gay people any more than I judge people who don't believe in God. Live and let live.

Reply #1932 Posted: April 09, 2007, 01:14:48 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
But you also say that it is an unnatural act, but if it is genetic how can it be unatural?

It's like saying that a white tiger is unnatural as it is it's genes that make it white but it is not natural for tigers to be white.
Not in my opinion, white tigers breed.  In a non-judgmental (over-simplified) world, homosexuals wouldn't be breeding, and natural selection would takes it's course.

Your right though about it being natural in the true sense of the word, but hell what isn't natural? - Everything in this universe is natural, or made by something natural from natural materials - Even nuclear weapons. ;)

Both of these arguments are way off thread topic - sorry :)

Edit:  Then again, going by your example of the ancient pre-bible people, perhaps homosexuality is a natural part of all human nature, and millennia of biblical guilt has conditioned it's way of thinking into all of us. - Who knows.

Reply #1933 Posted: April 09, 2007, 02:44:00 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: Zarathrustra;384827
Edit:  Then again, going by your example of the ancient pre-bible people, perhaps homosexuality is a natural part of all human nature, and millennia of biblical guilt has conditioned it's way of thinking into all of us. - Who knows.

I'd have to agree with that. I think to really understand it you must take christian religion at face value: a social mechanism to control populations, the earliest form of propaganda.

How do you control a nation? You unite them with common belief, make yourself the spokesperson for the creator, and advise them if they do not follow your *cough* i mean GODS instruction then they will suffer for eternity.

How do you stomp out a culture? You make it's way of life an abomination to the "true" creator's teachings. You make it's practices punishable by death. I can only hope that one day christians are treated with the same contempt that they issue to all the heathens. For you can get away with anything when you patron god forgives all can't you... very convienent

And remember folks - the biblical "god" lied in genesis... still waiting for religion to prove terrestrial planets can exist before stars...

Reply #1934 Posted: April 09, 2007, 09:27:53 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline true

• Devoted Member
  • true has no influence.

Reply #1935 Posted: April 09, 2007, 09:34:05 pm
bought wow
quit sauce

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Homosexuality is perfectly natural. Birth control is an important part of the eco system. And while genes may not be passed on, knowledge is. Take 3 triplets and put them with seperate foster families. One with a fundie Christian family, one with a fundie Muslim family and one with a family who do not believe in god. All from the same blood, but those kids will grow up to be completely different. And I have a fairly good idea which kid would turn out the best.

Reply #1936 Posted: April 09, 2007, 09:50:57 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;385164
And I have a fairly good idea which kid would turn out the best.

Good in whose eyes? The Christians the Muslims or the Atheists?

Reply #1937 Posted: April 09, 2007, 10:10:21 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;385134
You unite them with common belief, make yourself the spokesperson for the creator, and advise them if they do not follow your *cough* i mean GODS instruction then they will suffer for eternity.

Ill get you everything you wanted
Ill get you everything you need
Dont need to believe in hereafter
Just believe in me

Cos jesus he knows me
And he knows Im right
Ive been talking to jesus all my life
Oh yes he knows me
And he knows Im right
And hes been telling me
Everything is alright

Reply #1938 Posted: April 09, 2007, 10:37:03 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline (BHP)Clyock

• Just settled in
Quote from: Zarathrustra;384827

This is my point exactly. :thumb:

Reply #1939 Posted: April 10, 2007, 12:19:01 am

Offline Catalyst

• Addicted
  • Catalyst barely matters.Catalyst barely matters.
Quote from: KiLL3r;385173
Good in whose eyes? The Christians the Muslims or the Atheists?

he has a good point there arnifix

Reply #1940 Posted: April 10, 2007, 12:29:53 am

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

• Valvanite has no influence.
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7082/11613820991161356741260jw4.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #1941 Posted: April 10, 2007, 02:42:51 am

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
.And while genes may not be passed on.

That is one of the most stupid things you have ever said. You receive your parents genes, it's what makes your hair black, or red in your instance, the color of you eyes, your skin. Genes from a genetic stand point define who you are. The whole chromosomes in the cell nucleus are grouped in pairs - 23 pairs in all or 46 total. One member of each pair has come from the mother of the individual and the other member from the father thing...

Reply #1942 Posted: April 10, 2007, 06:23:04 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: Simon_NZ;385447
That is one of the most stupid things you have ever said. You receive your parents genes, it's what makes your hair black, or red in your instance, the color of you eyes, your skin. Genes from a genetic stand point define who you are. The whole chromosomes in the cell nucleus are grouped in pairs - 23 pairs in all or 46 total. One member of each pair has come from the mother of the individual and the other member from the father thing...

re-read it simon, he's talking gays. ie can't reproduce.

Reply #1943 Posted: April 10, 2007, 08:52:02 am

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Black Heart;385475
Why don't they put one of the children with a gay family and see if they can reproduce?

Reply #1944 Posted: April 10, 2007, 08:55:57 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;385225
Ill get you everything you wanted
Ill get you everything you need
Dont need to believe in hereafter
Just believe in me

Cos jesus he knows me
And he knows Im right
Ive been talking to jesus all my life
Oh yes he knows me
And he knows Im right
And hes been telling me
Everything is alright

GO PHIL COLLINS!!! :D

Reply #1945 Posted: April 10, 2007, 08:59:53 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline true

• Devoted Member
  • true has no influence.
Holy Blood, Holy Grail and The Bible Fraud are both excellent reads.

Reply #1946 Posted: April 10, 2007, 09:54:41 am
bought wow
quit sauce

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: cobra;382801
The best defense rational people have is Occam's Razor, it just seems unnecessary to include in your would view a tricky god who would want to make it look like he didn't exist by including scientific evidence for the big bang and evolution

No, the simplest explanation is 'God did it'

The big bang and evolution theories aren't simple, they're very complex.

Which is why Occam's Razor is stupid.

Quote from: Bell;383211
Haha religion....
There have been/are 100's of religions over the course of humanity if one of them was/is right then the other few hundred are wrong.

If a religion promotes a good way of living, then it's right in my view, if it promotes violence towards others, then it's wrong.

They aren't in competition with each other.

Quote from: KiLL3r;384105
My theory on this whole jesus thing is this.

Mary and Joesph got it on outta wedlock and mary ended up pregnant. knowing that they would surely be stoned to death (as was the custom at the time) they fabricated a story thats she had been visited by a angel and was a pregnant virgin. To ensure that nobody ever found out they brought jesus up believing that he really was the son of god when in reality he was a bastard son born out of wedlock.

That makes more sense than anything else in the bible.

It is biologically possible for a virgin Birth, it happens in animals all the time, just very rare in humans.

Quote from: Tiwaking!;384336

To ignore a part of the bible is to ignore Christ's teachings. Ergo, you have picked and chosen what you want to believe

No it isn't, there are two parts of the bible, the old testament, and the new testament, the new testament is the only part about Jesus.

Homosexuality is perfectly natural. Birth control is an important part of the eco system. And while genes may not be passed on, knowledge is. Take 3 triplets and put them with seperate foster families. One with a fundie Christian family, one with a fundie Muslim family and one with a family who do not believe in god. All from the same blood, but those kids will grow up to be completely different. And I have a fairly good idea which kid would turn out the best.

I know people who grew up in religious families and turned out non-religious, as well as the other way round. Kids can still turn out well irregardless of their family background.

Also, i'm sure the kids who are out at night breaking into peoples cars and damaging public property aren't the same ones who go to church on Sunday morning.

Quote from: Black Heart;385475

Lesbians can.

Reply #1947 Posted: April 10, 2007, 10:47:50 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
no lesbians can't. not without a man + applying some science. either way it still wont be a child carrying both lesbians genetic code.

Reply #1948 Posted: April 10, 2007, 01:44:15 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;385560
No, the simplest explanation is 'God did it'

The big bang and evolution theories aren't simple, they're very complex.

Which is why Occam's Razor is stupid. .

I agree that "god did it" is a simple explanation, but it is not the simplest situation. If you can write off the 6000 year old universe as nonsense, then you are left with a universe that came about due to the big bang and evolution or a universe that looks like it came about due to the big bang/evolution but really a tricky fairy made the universe – the fairy has just been tacked on the end by people who can’t handle finding a 2000 year old work of fiction not to be true and just complicates everything.

Quote from: Spacemonkey;385560
I know people who grew up in religious families and turned out non-religious, as well as the other way round. Kids can still turn out well irregardless of their family background.

Also, i'm sure the kids who are out at night breaking into peoples cars and damaging public property aren't the same ones who go to church on Sunday morning.

Can you be sure - crime is correlated to poverty and poverty is correlated to christianity, I would say quite a few of the kids would call themselves christians - very few would call themselves Scientists

Reply #1949 Posted: April 10, 2007, 02:34:09 pm