Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Arnifix;405703
And despite this, you're still working from a flawed basis. No two people are exactly alike, physically or mentally,

Which is a flaw of science. There is no reason at all under a scientific basis that two people couldn't be exactly alike. Science has proven through cloning that it's possible, therefore it should be able to occur in the wild.

Theoretically every child that is born to the same parents should be identical as they have the same genetic makeup. They aren't which means that there must be something else (apart from pure science) that determines who we are.

Reply #2400 Posted: April 29, 2007, 04:27:38 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;405731
Which is a flaw of science. There is no reason at all under a scientific basis that two people couldn't be exactly alike. Science has proven through cloning that it's possible, therefore it should be able to occur in the wild.

no it doesn't.

just because it can happen under lab conditions doesn't mean it will occur in nature - of the top of my head you have things like the rare earth metals of the periodic table that are synthetic and man-made.

so no, just because it can happen in a lab doesn't mean it can happen in non lab conditions.

Reply #2401 Posted: April 29, 2007, 04:32:55 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
I fail to see how "you could be wrong too" is proof of the absence of God.
Sure, Christians could be wrong, and so could Muslims and Hindus and Flying Spaghetti Monsterettes and Scientologists, but so could Richard Dawkins. If we have covered one point more than any other point in this thread, its that it would be impossible to 100% be certain that anyone is right. Do I believe that God doesn't exist? No. But could it be a possibility? Yes (I know, that makes no sense, but in a way it does).

Edit: One thing I will say after browsing through a couple of other Dawkins related videos. Christians are a whiny bunch. They make me look bad - all I ever complain about are movies not coming to my town :(

Reply #2402 Posted: April 29, 2007, 04:34:23 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Okay your post was really, REALLY hard to read due to the fact that you appear to have condensed and confused a few simple biological facts
Quote from: TofuEater;405686
But that doesn't cover it. For instance, identical twins tend to have the same thoughts and feelings, so why don't we all have the same thoughts and feelings? For instance, for any given situation human cogniscense should dictate that the same answer would be derived by every person on every occasion, but it's plainly not so.

The brain is an electrical device. Any electrical device is governed by the Laws of Physics and then by Quantum Mechanics. This is the reason why Neuroscientists have to at least learn noob-physics. On a macro-scale psychology takes over and defines cognition via the four components of the mind.

For any given situation of human experience(barring hypnosis, sleep, trauma and blood loss to the brain) the first interactive level of cognition which will be impacted upon will be the conscious mind. After this is passes to the critical factor. The critical factor is, on a basic level, the security guard to your mind, If something occurs which conflicts with previous knowledge from experience, then that event or information simply gets shelved away in the subconscious never to be seen again.

Thusly its not the chemistry of the brain which ULTIMATELY affects the reaction, and if it is then Quantum Mechinics plays such a huge part in the transmission and retro-causal reaction of the individual. The amount of coincidences that would be required for two people to be and react totally the same to a given situation is staggering.

In fact: It has been found that, due to Quantum Weirdness, events which are seemingly the same have been Retro-Causally affected by participants to fit their own expected criteria
Quote from: TofuEater;405686
Which means that environment plays a part - and that environment includes religion. You are therefore assuming that science has shaped religion, which means that in order for science to be right, religion must be right in which case most of you here are wrong.

The environmental effect on behaviour has been shown to have a minimal effect on the CORE working systems of personality. For example: One sexual abuse victim kills all men, while another becomes comatose while another turns out to be normal. Does this mean that the first person has a tendancy to be evil? No. It is merely the psychological trigger to which the person reacted to by focussing violent tendancies towards men.

The ageing factor is also a HUGE consideration to the observation of personality. Biologically induced personal traits eventually usurp environmentally induced traits. This is one of the factors which support the results of Psychometric testing.

Reply #2403 Posted: April 29, 2007, 04:35:44 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: Simon_NZ;405737
no it doesn't.

just because it can happen under lab conditions doesn't mean it will occur in nature - of the top of my head you have things like the rare earth metals of the periodic table that are synthetic and man-made.

But this is already occuring in nature AND in man-made conditions. Therefore it should be possible to introduce the same genetic material (from a man and a woman) and turn out an identical result. But it doesn't - why not?

Reply #2404 Posted: April 29, 2007, 04:36:50 pm
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
no it isn't though, synthetic elements are exactly that, synthetic. They are products of nuclear reactors and huge particle colliders. They don't occur naturally on earth.

what is cloned in nature? were not talking DNA replication or single cell bacteria here.

what genetically complex individuals are cloned in nature from a adult cell?

Reply #2405 Posted: April 29, 2007, 04:46:14 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;405738
I fail to see how "you could be wrong too" is proof of the absence of God.
Sure, Christians could be wrong, and so could Muslims and Hindus and Flying Spaghetti Monsterettes and Scientologists, but so could Richard Dawkins. If we have covered one point more than any other point in this thread, its that it would be impossible to 100% be certain that anyone is right. Do I believe that God doesn't exist? No. But could it be a possibility? Yes (I know, that makes no sense, but in a way it does).

"You could be wrong too" is not proof of the absence of God. You've read his reply wrong.

What Dawkins says in one fell swoop is that Atheists are just as wrong as everyone else. No one has the moral right to challenge anyones beliefs, but we all have the intellectual right to QUESTION those beliefs! By asking Dawkins "What if you are wrong?" you are telling him "You are not right!"
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;405738
Edit: One thing I will say after browsing through a couple of other Dawkins related videos. Christians are a whiny bunch. They make me look bad - all I ever complain about are movies not coming to my town :(

ThaFleaStyler: Remember that these 'Christians' tend to be:
a) Baptist, Fundamentalist or 'Grace' based churches
b) Have no knowledge of science beyond high-school
c) Believe they are right

The difference between believing you are right and KNOWING you are right(Gnosis) is that you can argue your point diplomatically.

If you want to see just how bad Christians can get, you should watch the Dawkins Evolution debate against that absolute nutter who ranted at him after he said "You sir dont know the first thing about Evolution"(I cant find it sorry)

Reply #2406 Posted: April 29, 2007, 04:48:58 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Simon_NZ;405750
no it isn't though, synthetic elements are exactly that, synthetic. They are products of nuclear reactors and huge particle colliders. They don't occur naturally on earth.

what is cloned in nature? were not talking DNA replication or single cell bacteria here.

what genetically complex individuals are cloned in nature from a adult cell?

Quote from: TofuEater;405742
But this is already occuring in nature AND in man-made conditions. Therefore it should be possible to introduce the same genetic material (from a man and a woman) and turn out an identical result. But it doesn't - why not?

We will have to wait until the Raelians release the results of their Human Clone experiement for the answer to this Im afraid.

Reply #2407 Posted: April 29, 2007, 04:51:34 pm

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: Simon_NZ;405750

I never said cloned nub. People occur in nature and they occur in the testtube. So at some point, given that there are over 6 billion people in the world, you would expect that two of them would turn out the same.

All up, there's probably been more than 10 billion people lived in the history of the Earth, so the odds of scientific validation is more than 10 billion to 1.

Reply #2408 Posted: April 29, 2007, 04:51:37 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Simon_NZ;405711
because tiwaking just posted that...

not the whole thing

Reply #2409 Posted: April 29, 2007, 05:00:51 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: TofuEater;405755
I never said cloned nub. People occur in nature and they occur in the testtube. So at some point, given that there are over 6 billion people in the world, you would expect that two of them would turn out the same.

All up, there's probably been more than 10 billion people lived in the history of the Earth, so the odds of scientific validation is more than 10 billion to 1.

Urr.....Yeah you are WAAAAY off

Given the current population of 6,000,000,000 with approximate generational replication of 25,000(500,000 years /20 years per generation) = 150,000,000,000,000,000 humans have existed. This is totally false due to the fact that the baby boom and exponential growth of the human population for the past fifty years, but its a fair beginning reference point.

The number of base pairs in human DNA is 3,000,000,000^4, or 3,000,000,000 x 3,000,000,000 x 3,000,000,000 x 3,000,000,000. This gives us the total number of possible combinations to be: 2.43x10^47. This compared to 1.5x10^14 leaves 2.43x10^47 UNUSED DNA combinations

I believe Science wins at this point

Reply #2410 Posted: April 29, 2007, 05:10:58 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I think nick had better points than tofu does.

Reply #2411 Posted: April 29, 2007, 05:23:02 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
errr your way wrong aswell tiwaking

just because that is the total combination of DNA base pairs that doesn't mean that there are that many USEFUL combinations, alot of our DNA is redundant and doesn't code for anything.

as you surely know it is the differences in the phenotype of the said individual due to the variations in the genotype that manifest as a particular trait.

the total number of genes identified by the human genome project was 20, 000 - 25,000 - far less than all the possible combinations of your unused DNA

Reply #2412 Posted: April 29, 2007, 05:28:55 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Simon_NZ;405789
errr your way wrong aswell tiwaking

just because that is the total combination of DNA base pairs that doesn't mean that there are that many USEFUL combinations, alot of our DNA is redundant and doesn't code for anything.

as you surely know it is the differences in the phenotype of the said individual due to the variations in the genotype that manifest as a particular trait.

the total number of genes identified by the human genome project was 20, 000 - 25,000 - far less than all the possible combinations of your unused DNA

Quote from: Human Genome Project
identify all the approximately 20,000-25,000 genes in human DNA,
determine the sequences of the 3 billion chemical base pairs that make up human DNA,
store this information in databases,
improve tools for data analysis,
transfer related technologies to the private sector, and
address the ethical, legal, and social issues (ELSI) that may arise from the project.

3,000,000,000^4. What am I missing here?

Sounds like a fairly sound bi-nomial theorem equation to me.

Reply #2413 Posted: April 29, 2007, 06:16:47 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
all those possible base pairs don't necessarily code for something

Reply #2414 Posted: April 29, 2007, 06:34:20 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!

Reply #2415 Posted: April 29, 2007, 06:34:36 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Tiwaking!

Im not a biologist in any way, shape or form. In fact: The only experience I have with the Human Genome Project is back in 2000 when they did that thing where you could run a program on your computer which would help calculate the gene sequences in a world wide project.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;405775
Given the current population of 6,000,000,000 with approximate generational replication of 25,000(500,000 years /20 years per generation) = 150,000,000,000,000,000 humans have existed. This is totally false due to the fact that the baby boom and exponential growth of the human population for the past fifty years, but its a fair beginning reference point.

The number of base pairs in human DNA is 3,000,000,000^4, or 3,000,000,000 x 3,000,000,000 x 3,000,000,000 x 3,000,000,000. This gives us the total number of possible combinations to be: 2.43x10^47. This compared to 1.5x10^14 leaves 2.43x10^47 UNUSED DNA combinations

Quote from: Simon_NZ;405868

Urr. Yes. They do

Even from a purely mathematical viewpoint(combinations not permutations) and given the proof I have given you(Total population of Earths entire history: 150 million, million, million) the number of combinations that have YET to occur is still: 24,300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000(minus 1.5x10^14)

These are base-pairs that are YET to occur. Discounting them because they dont necessarily code for anything when they havent occured yet?

Sounds like Intelligent Design!

p.s Im only writing in the forums because Gun Game is down and no one else is on the CS:S servers :(

Reply #2416 Posted: April 29, 2007, 06:58:41 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Simon_NZ;405868

well to be fair we dont really know that either....

sure we mapped the genome, but the X is ever elusive.

Reply #2417 Posted: April 29, 2007, 06:58:46 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.

Reply #2418 Posted: April 29, 2007, 07:05:27 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: ™swindLe..;405869
Fuck Bell cracks me up lol.

you should get that looked at

Reply #2419 Posted: April 29, 2007, 07:11:02 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
no it doesn't.

it doesn't sound like ID either.

currently about 97% of the human genome as been described as junk DNA - that is it doesn't code for anything. Maybe it will code for something in the future or a now defunct attribute from our past.

considering that such a large portion of our own DNA codes for nothing it is foolish of you to think that all those possible combinations, and you are assuming that they will combine, will combine AND then code for the production of proteins.

what we do know now is that the vast majority of genes are coded for exactly the same thing, google RNA cordon table if you don't believe me. Also futher I recommend you check out watson crick pairing, just because that is the possible number that will occur does not mean it will.

you clearly don't have a good grounding man, it is way more advance that total number of combinations. And I can't really be fucked getting into it. The very fact that the human genome is 3 billion base pairs long and ONLY codes for 20,000-25,000 genes gives you a idea of how naive you are being.

Reply #2420 Posted: April 29, 2007, 07:33:10 pm

Offline TofuEater

Given the current population of 6,000,000,000 with approximate generational replication of 25,000(500,000 years /20 years per generation) = 150,000,000,000,000,000 humans have existed.

Your theory is way flawed. Firstly, humans (homo sapiens sapiens) have only been around for about 120000 years, not half a million. But even then, i would say that what we generally know as "human" have only been around for 10000 years or so, which reduces the number significantly.

Given that we're trying to find instances of "identicality" occurring in nature, we can only consider the written record of humanity, which reduces time to around 6000 years or so. And generational length is more like 25 years than 20.

Then you have to take into account mortality rates, where in earlier times probably only 1 in 5 managed to procreate themselves. Taking all that into account, i'm happy 10 billion. It might be a shade light, but it works for what we're trying to accomplish.

Reply #2421 Posted: April 29, 2007, 08:42:08 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
yep 10billion is a good estimate. Its been said there are more people alive today than the amount of people who have died since humanity arose.

Reply #2422 Posted: April 29, 2007, 08:53:40 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.

There are more humans alive at this point in time than have ever existed in the history of the earth. At least thats what the discovery channel says.

In fact, I'm sure when I pointed this out in another thread you said something along the lines of "Wow shows how successful we are" or something.

Reply #2423 Posted: April 29, 2007, 09:42:19 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
I cant see why it matters if there has been these genetically identical people or not - can some one explain the point in cold hard logic

Reply #2424 Posted: April 29, 2007, 10:15:05 pm