Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: smegmacheese;360791
I lived in a "monastery" for 2 years in Nelson, doing the Zen buddhism thing.  It was initially set up for misguided youths (me) and people with drug and alcohol addiction.  Funding came partially from the government and the lotteries commision..thanks Lotto.

My days for those 2 years consisted of this

I personally quite like Zen Buddhism....BUT....it has its limits :)

[video]NUXJrO_FiWk[/video]

Edit: Please note that that presenter guy is a total noob

Reply #2700 Posted: May 12, 2007, 11:21:35 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Brendan_Chipp;379576
That's my point, we all have and use this thing called faith, whether we know it or not.

I finally found this post which I have been looking for!

Richard Dawkins answers this pointless question very very succintly
Q: "Do you believe that there is a difference between religious faith and reasonable faith?"
A: "No"

PWNED!!
Quote from: TofuEater;380926
Not if that god was deliberately fudging his own existence in order to test his followers faith in him. Which leads to teh ultimate absurdity in this whole thread - IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Au contraire because it DOES matter

If Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent God is deliberately fudging evidence of his own existence then this him a DIRTY FILTHY LIAR! Not only a liar, but a genocidal, murdering, child killing, virgin rapist to boot.

Reply #2701 Posted: May 13, 2007, 11:04:35 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
Quote from: Lazza;418004
Nah, get the one that covers all the bases...

i need that t

i must have it

Reply #2702 Posted: May 13, 2007, 11:41:59 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.

Reply #2703 Posted: May 15, 2007, 05:06:25 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Arnifix;402046
And Islam ain't all bad. Those head scarfs can be kinda sexy. Ok, maybe not. I'm sure something about the religion is worthwhile, but I can't be arsed reading about it right now. So much to do! Like sleep.

I love how they gladly use the democratic freedom of free speech to spout their angry, violent and hate filled rhetoric. Im public of all places!

I also finally found the debate of Ted Haggard vs Richard Dawkins

What a fag that Ted Haggard is.

Oops! I used the 'F' word! But its okay, its appropriate here. Evangelical leader Ted Haggard got caught with a male prostitute by police.

Listening to him speak in that youtube video really pisses me off.

"But you see, you do understand. You do understand, that this issue here of intellectual arrogance is the reason why people like you have a difficult problem with people of faith. I dont communicate an air of superiority over the people because I know so much more. And if you only read the books I know, and you only knew the scientists I know then you could be great like me"

O RLY?!
You dont communicate an air of superiority over the people because you know so much more?

Try have him do an evangelical service and have him ban the phrases "Jesus told me" "God told me" "God spoke to me" "He called out to me", ect ect ect! His whole CAREER is based around both being spiritually SUPERIOR to people *and* having a greater indepth knowledge of the "Power of the lord" and biblical writings!

Protestant churches got rid of this stupid, stupid idea of Priests being Gods intercessors, yet faith based churches like this would gladly go back to the "Church, towers and sheeple" method of religion.

I dont trust people with shiny white teeth. Unless they're Africans

Reply #2704 Posted: May 19, 2007, 05:36:59 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
oh great i can see it now christian vs muslim global war... i'm pretty sure the aetheists aren't going to win.

Reply #2705 Posted: May 19, 2007, 11:09:40 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Black Heart;429320
oh great i can see it now christian vs muslim global war... i'm pretty sure the aetheists aren't going to win.

atheists get the moral victory

Reply #2706 Posted: May 20, 2007, 10:26:08 am

Offline (BHP)Clyock

• Just settled in
  • (BHP)Clyock has no influence.
Quote from: Black Heart;429320

Isn't that the final war fortold in Armegeddon?

Reply #2707 Posted: May 20, 2007, 11:14:58 am

Offline Steady

• Addicted
  • Steady has no influence.
Fuck that ted haggard guy looks like such a cock jockey.

Reply #2708 Posted: May 20, 2007, 11:53:28 am
SOMETIMES I\'M NOT SERIOUS LOL

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/4683/jesuslol5b585dhd3.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #2709 Posted: May 20, 2007, 08:44:52 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member

Reply #2710 Posted: May 21, 2007, 01:43:47 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.

Reply #2711 Posted: May 21, 2007, 02:12:59 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.

Reply #2712 Posted: May 21, 2007, 03:26:05 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.

Reply #2713 Posted: May 21, 2007, 03:43:32 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Bell;430537
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/your-delusion.htm

good page.

hope it doesn't shake your faith in santa Bell

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;430640
Another good site

your site sucks - comparing a site with well laid out augments with a button that quotes the bible?  science +1

Reply #2714 Posted: May 21, 2007, 05:24:36 pm

Offline Santa Claus

• Just settled in
  • Santa Claus has no influence.
Quote from: cobra;430787
hope it doesn't shake your faith in santa Bell

QFT !!!!111!!11

Reply #2715 Posted: May 21, 2007, 05:29:08 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;430640
Another good site

cheap shot.

Lol Santa. I believe in you!

Reply #2716 Posted: May 21, 2007, 05:46:07 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;430787
your site sucks - comparing a site with well laid out augments with a button that quotes the bible?  science +1

Quote from: Fragin';430810
cheap shot.

What?! So you guys can strut around shoving your opinions down my throat all the time on an internet forum, and I can't even crack a joke once in a while?! :disappoin

Reply #2717 Posted: May 21, 2007, 07:47:01 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
So why doesnt god heal amputees yet he apparently cure people of disease and sickness all the time. But has never once healed a amputee?

Reply #2718 Posted: May 21, 2007, 09:28:10 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;430968
What?! So you guys can strut around shoving your opinions down my throat all the time on an internet forum, and I can't even crack a joke once in a while?! :disappoin

yeah...jokes need to be funny - not opinions - look at this site and see if i can change your world view - if it cant your world view is stronger - if it does then you are less of an idiot - win win

Reply #2719 Posted: May 21, 2007, 10:25:36 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;431096
So why doesnt god heal amputees yet he apparently cure people of disease and sickness all the time. But has never once healed a amputee?

I don't know. Why doesn't science heal amputees?

(And don't give me the whole 'prosthetics' argument, because they were invented by man and man was invented by God - and peg legs require no science whatsoever)(unless you count the physics mastery required to balance :D)

Reply #2720 Posted: May 21, 2007, 10:26:36 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;431165
yeah...jokes need to be funny - not opinions - look at this site and see if i can change your world view - if it cant your world view is stronger - if it does then you are less of an idiot - win win

Maybe you need to lighten up a little bit. All I did was posted a light-hearted response to a couple of bullshit links posted by guys in here who are more forceful than an army of Mormon doorknockers combined.

Hang on - did you hear that? Sounded like a pot calling the kettle black ... :P

Reply #2721 Posted: May 21, 2007, 10:28:51 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;431168
I don't know. Why doesn't science heal amputees?

(And don't give me the whole 'prosthetics' argument, because they were invented by man and man was invented by God - and peg legs require no science whatsoever)(unless you count the physics mastery required to balance :D)

science doesnt say you can just by praying. the bible say you can do anything with prayer, so why cant you heal amputees with prayer?

Reply #2722 Posted: May 21, 2007, 10:30:46 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;431172
science doesnt say you can just by praying. the bible say you can do anything with prayer, so why cant you heal amputees with prayer?

I don't know.

You know what: you guys have come up with some really good questions, but heres a one-time-only acknowledgement - I simply don't have all the answers. Being that I'm not an amputee, nor know any amputees (except for a guy missing a finger), I couldn't tell you why prayer doesn't heal missing limbs, nor could I presume to know what exactly God is thinking about it.

Reply #2723 Posted: May 21, 2007, 10:36:03 pm

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
  • DEATH0WL has no influence.
Do you think they haven't spent millions on trying to find ways to replace or "grow" new limbs?

Prosthetics are expensive but for even more you can get "bionic arms"

It's more than likely that they're attempting to find a way to create new limbs in labs that can be customized a bit then sewn on (something like that).

Praying really doesn't achieve enough and most people (including me) would say that it achieves nothing at all except give the person hope, false or not.

Reply #2724 Posted: May 21, 2007, 10:52:51 pm