Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Hori;443820
Fatal Error: System Shutdown.

(In my defence, look at the time-stamps on those posts.)

Yep. I've been here since the beginning and no longer require any quotes except my own

Thats how sad I am :p

Reply #2825 Posted: June 03, 2007, 11:41:39 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Hori;443708
And this is why the Bible is the most produced book in the world, this is why new churches, sects and faiths are yielded every year.

Sounds like theres huge money in bible printing, I might get into the business.

BE RELIGIOUS EVERYONE, RELIGION IS OARSUM!!!

Reply #2826 Posted: June 03, 2007, 11:46:46 am

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
  • DEATH0WL has no influence.
Quote from: Hori;443739
Another flip flop, that makes 2.

... What I meant is that my parents got me baptized etc. and took me to church but I wasn't interested in religion. Pity that my parents only got me baptized because someone told them it would "protect" me. That's just mean, using my parents fear of something happening to me to convert them to Christianity.

You can't have it both ways, either he existed or he didn't. For example's sake we'll say he did, it doesn't matter what he was, it's how he's perceived that's really important.

Indeed we will place a guess that he really did exist. But if he did for the Bible's tales to have happened wouldn't he need to be an alien? And then why have no other aliens came down and -

Well forgetting about the aliens; if he did exist then he was just another normal human being: He was born, he started a powerful religious movement, He pissed off the church, he was nailed to a cross and died on it.

Going off-topic, If it had been just that then Christianity wouldn't have been much. But since they added "and the next day he rose from the dead" to it, that got people thinking "hey, if I try to live like him and try to make others live like me then we will live forever!" somehow that didn't happen instead Christianity became one of the most corrupted religions of all time with the crusades, "witch" burnings (burning anybody who was a female doctor), and many more!

You missed the point, her praying, her spiritual rituals, are helping her through her grieving process.
She may be 'just imagining', but it doesn't matter, without a 'spiritual world' within ours', this woman could not have done this.
Because, clearly such a monologue would be a pointless facade with no meaning, the analogy you used of talking to tombstones it's only pointless if the person speaking cannot yield anything from the monologue.

The spiritual world has given this woman, hope and comfort.

I put it to you that this is the use of the spiritual world in our Universe. Ipso Facto, the Universe has a use for it.

Even if she didn't believe in it she would still go to his grave put down flowers and have a one-way chat with the gravestone. Knowing that he is dead and can't hear her will not stop her from "talking" to him.

You don't need someone to make up a "spiritual world" just to continue to "talk" to someone after they've died, even if the are completely unable to respond and you know that.

The Universe wouldn't have a use for a spiritual world because it can't be
  • Seen
  • Smelt
  • Heard
  • Felt

Or Tasted. Thus making it's existence pointless as it's not required to have a "physical" world.

Reply #2827 Posted: June 03, 2007, 12:04:59 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
You know, I'll take Tiwaking's advice, he seems like a smart chap, and stop now.

Also, I noticed, DeathOwl you like lists.

I like lamp.

Edit: So tempted to continue, but I'll settle with a draw.

Reply #2828 Posted: June 03, 2007, 12:09:15 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!

Reply #2829 Posted: June 03, 2007, 12:10:52 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
Quote from: Hori;443875
You know, I'll take Tiwaking's advice, he seems like a smart chap, and stop now.

Also, I noticed, DeathOwl you like lists.

I like lamp.

Edit: So tempted to continue, but I'll settle with a draw.

you like colours :bounce:

Reply #2830 Posted: June 03, 2007, 12:13:05 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
To me christianity can never promote goodness - It always has a gun to your head - do good or burn - for me true goodness comes from a personal want to make the world a better place

another question for the christians to ignore - Jesus was a pretty liberal guy - so why are modern churches conservative hate camps?

Reply #2831 Posted: June 03, 2007, 06:06:08 pm

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;444162
To me christianity can never promote goodness - It always has a gun to your head - do good or burn - for me true goodness comes from a personal want to make the world a better place

another question for the christians to ignore - Jesus was a pretty liberal guy - so why are modern churches conservative hate camps?

greed? the church has become highly corrupted in the past...

Reply #2832 Posted: June 03, 2007, 06:10:12 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
but churchs DO help lots of people get through tough times in their lives, they are promoting good causes and do good deeds. they also (in general) will help anybody no matter their beleifs.

Any organisation can do good or bad no matter what the underlying motivation is. same with people. There are people that think Osama did a bad thing, and there are those that think he did a good thing. But he only did 1 thing (9/11). someone will always take an opposite view.

for instance, nazi's we are led to beleive were evil and we are lucky that they were beaten. if they won ww2 however there would be no israel, no middle eastern conflict. no american super power. the world might have become a far better place.

if some sick bastard wanted to rape your grandmother but only didn't because he was convinced he would burn in hell, would you care thats the only reason he doesn't attack your grandmother? does it matter? if your grandmother is safe isn't that more important ?

Reply #2833 Posted: June 03, 2007, 07:23:25 pm

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
Quote from: Black Heart;444232
but churchs DO help lots of people get through tough times in their lives, they are promoting good causes and do good deeds. they also (in general) will help anybody no matter their beleifs.

Any organisation can do good or bad no matter what the underlying motivation is. same with people. There are people that think Osama did a bad thing, and there are those that think he did a good thing. But he only did 1 thing (9/11). someone will always take an opposite view.

for instance, nazi's we are led to beleive were evil and we are lucky that they were beaten. if they won ww2 however there would be no israel, no middle eastern conflict. no american super power. the world might have become a far better place.

if some sick bastard wanted to rape your grandmother but only didn't because he was convinced he would burn in hell, would you care thats the only reason he doesn't attack your grandmother? does it matter? if your grandmother is safe isn't that more important ?

trouble with "what if?" questions is that we really have no way of knowing if thats what would have happened.

Hitler may have been incredibly pissed off and nuked the US to the ground...

Reply #2834 Posted: June 03, 2007, 08:51:58 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!

If you are a woman in Islam you require three MALE MUSLIM witnesses before you can report it.

Men of course cannot be raped

Reply #2835 Posted: June 03, 2007, 09:34:26 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: DEATH0WL;444281

Hitler may have been incredibly pissed off and nuked the US to the ground...

not likely - nazi germany's nuclear research fell way behind the american manhatten project - they had the theory but not enough physical material - they were bringing the heavy water from norway.

Quote from: deathowl

The Universe wouldn't have a use for a spiritual world because it can't be

* Seen
    * Smelt
    * Heard
    * Felt

how do you know ppl who are spiritual and believe in god havent heard or felt him?

Reply #2836 Posted: June 03, 2007, 09:44:09 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Makes me think of Touched By An Angel.

"Show us where the angel touched you, Billy."

Reply #2837 Posted: June 03, 2007, 09:47:30 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
Quote from: private_hell;444309
not likely - nazi germany's nuclear research fell way behind the american manhatten project - they had the theory but not enough physical material - they were bringing the heavy water from norway.

Alternate universe. They might not have attacked the Soviet's. And then they might have focussed on nuclear or chemical warfare more.

Or if they had used chemicals to seal the borders they could have held out against the Soviet's.

Quote from: private_hell;444309
how do you know ppl who are spiritual and believe in god havent heard or felt him?

I don't, but then that would be immediately assuming that a "God" did exist. What I do know is that the really sure ones are in mental institutions :bounce:

Reply #2838 Posted: June 03, 2007, 09:49:41 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.

See, you're generalising ALL Christian churches again.

I think if you actually ever went to some Christian churches, you'd find that most of them weren't like that. The Christian churches I know of are places where anyone is welcome regardless of age or race. Not just my church, but other local churches I've been to preach things like tolerance and preach out of a spirit of helping the communiyt and trying to be warm, welcoming places.

Reply #2839 Posted: June 03, 2007, 10:32:01 pm

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;444334
I think if you actually ever went to some Christian churches, you'd find that most of them weren't like that. The Christian churches I know of are places where anyone is welcome regardless of age or race. Not just my church, but other local churches I've been to preach things like tolerance and preach out of a spirit of helping the communiyt and trying to be warm, welcoming places.

That's the good side - the reason people walk into Churches in the first place.

The Bad side seems to be the whole thing about Hell.

Reply #2840 Posted: June 03, 2007, 10:46:21 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member

age/race???? - i think you are answering a different question - Jesus was quite left wing - y'all are quite right wing

That person is mentally ill and should seek help from trained professionals not the church

Reply #2841 Posted: June 03, 2007, 10:46:50 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;444343
age/race???? - i think you are answering a different question - Jesus was quite left wing - y'all are quite right wing

That comment makes no sense - care to explain?

Reply #2842 Posted: June 03, 2007, 11:02:53 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;444364
That comment makes no sense - care to explain?

It makes sense. Turn the hypens into full stops.

He is questioning what you're talking about, hence "age/race????" He thinks you're answering another question, so either you have not answered his question in an understandable way, or we have another retarded snake on our hands. He then points out that the majority of Christians are right wing, whilst Jesus was left wing.

Which was his point. And I am inclined to agree. From what I've read, the idea of Jesus seems like a pretty sweet, liberal son-of-a-carpenter. However the majority of Church-goers are almost certainly right wing, conservative, assholes. Why?

Reply #2843 Posted: June 04, 2007, 07:59:39 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
economics?

back when Jesus was around, most of his follows were poor people with limited power in govenment - since the romans were in charge. since they were poor and the working class they would have been more likely to be left wing.

now days more of his followers have more power in govenment and are less likely to be poor (well for the western world anyway). so they are more likely to be right wing.

Reply #2844 Posted: June 04, 2007, 08:50:26 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Arnifix;444486

He is questioning what you're talking about, hence "age/race????" He thinks you're answering another question, so either you have not answered his question in an understandable way, or we have another retarded snake on our hands. He then points out that the majority of Christians are right wing, whilst Jesus was left wing.

Which was his point. And I am inclined to agree. From what I've read, the idea of Jesus seems like a pretty sweet, liberal son-of-a-carpenter. However the majority of Church-goers are almost certainly right wing, conservative, assholes. Why?

you're my word hero

Quote from: private_hell;444495
economics?

back when Jesus was around, most of his follows were poor people with limited power in govenment - since the romans were in charge. since they were poor and the working class they would have been more likely to be left wing.

now days more of his followers have more power in govenment and are less likely to be poor (well for the western world anyway). so they are more likely to be right wing.

^sure - but if you believe in all the jesus magic stuff you need to make up a different reason

Reply #2845 Posted: June 04, 2007, 01:31:19 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
cause if you have jesus magic stuff, you can afford to be left wing, you know you're always able to magic your way out of any situation.

right wing reflects reality. looking out for ones self.

Reply #2846 Posted: June 04, 2007, 04:10:43 pm

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
I am called left wing but to me magic is just fiction.

Reply #2847 Posted: June 04, 2007, 04:53:19 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted

Quote from: cobra;444343

Quote from: Arnifix;444486

I still don't really understand :disappoin

The point I understood from Cobras first post (quoted above) was that he was generalising ALL Christian churches as prejudiced and anti-people, which I stated that in my experience they aren't. I mentioned age and race merely to try and illustrate that the church I go to, and a number of other churches here in Whangarei, aren't "hate camps" but rather welcoming places filled with people who really want to just help the community with whatever they are going through.

When I think of the term "hate camp" I think of Auschwitz, which churches are definitely not. Anyone who would try and compare the two is an idiot - which I don't think either of you guys are, thus my longwinded explanation of what I understood of the discussion.

At the same time, I think it is wrong to say that someone like Brian Tamaki is indicative of the church as a whole; yes, the Bible deals with certain lifestyles and practices (like homosexuality or prostitution), but its not in a condemning way, and neither are the churches as a whole (or even Brian Tamaki, even though he comes across that way). I think you would find that a large majoirity of churches are tolerant of ALL people and ALL lifestyles, and come from an angle of wanting to help however they can rather than condemning or brainwashing people.

As for why Jesus was left wing while his modern-day followers appear to be more right wing, I think that is partly a reflection of the media portrayal of Christians - I don't mean to sound whiny, but the fact is the only Christians who ever get media coverage are the ones protesting things, while genuine heartfelt goodness that occurs is seldom given the time of day. For every action of Brian Tamakis that is covered negatively, there are ten-thousand acts of goodness and kindness that go ignored, from Christians supporting neighbours with a meal to whole churches chipping in and building someones house to larger nationwide charity initiatives.

Unfortunately, its also partly a reflection of people themselves. For every Christian who is good at heart and trying to just keep on keeping on, there is one who is judgmental and condescending, using their faith as some kind of 'Get Out of Jail Free'/I'm-right-you're-wrong card.

Reply #2848 Posted: June 04, 2007, 09:18:46 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;444995
For every Christian who is good at heart and trying to just keep on keeping on, there is one who is judgmental and condescending

true for everybody not just christians.

Reply #2849 Posted: June 04, 2007, 09:56:34 pm