Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: woofnstuff;473058
then all get burned as witches probably

you didn't go back far enough.

Reply #3025 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:20:37 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline woofnstuff

• Addicted
  • woofnstuff has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;473060
you didn't go back far enough.

ok thanks for that ill try again...

Edit:
nope.. just got back and there is nothing there but the tooth fairy, who would have thought, the tooth fairy is really the maker of us all

Reply #3026 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:21:56 pm
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don\'t.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
The tooth fairy doesn't exist

Opps, I think I just killed god...

Reply #3027 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:23:50 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
im hungry can you all please pray to god for a cooked steak to appear on my desk.

Reply #3028 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:26:08 pm

Offline woofnstuff

• Addicted
sorry, i think i diverted your request,  
just a note, god cant cook a steak for shit, the devil gets them flame grilled to perfection

Reply #3029 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:28:39 pm
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don\'t.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: woofnstuff;473062
o
nope.. just got back and there is nothing there but the tooth fairy, who would have thought, the tooth fairy is really the maker of us all

Is she hot ?

Reply #3030 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:32:23 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.

Reply #3031 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:38:55 pm

Offline Pyromanik

BAAAAAACK more on topic.... ish....

I just showed this thread to two astrophysicists.

First up, they think you're all retarded. (for the 5 pages following the first post)

Second, what happened before the big bang is irrelevant, as it has no effect on our current universe whatsoever.

And the MODEL this chap is working on is a replacement for the big bang theory.
So it still wouldn't matter. The title is misleading, as it's not really investigating what was before the big bang.

Also what he's investigating could easily just be incorperated into the big bang theory anyway.

Reply #3032 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:50:08 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;473083

First up, they think you're all retarded.

so mean.

Reply #3033 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:51:53 pm

Offline Pyromanik

One of them actually started hopping around yelling 'you can't do that, you can't do that!'

Then we had a discussion about how fucking retarded the Good Morning presenters were.
Especially Mary Lamby's replacement.

Reply #3034 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:56:37 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted

Reply #3035 Posted: July 03, 2007, 01:57:50 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Not sure. He was quite rabbid about it, I didn't catch much of what he was saying, lol.
Something about proving and disproving.
You can't disprove the book, it might be right.
But at the same time, it might be wrong... but you can't prove that either.

So basically the whole arguement is retarded from a scientific standpoint too.

Prettymuch reinforcing my earlier posts.

Reply #3036 Posted: July 03, 2007, 02:00:48 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
There is no reason to disprove something that hasn't been proven in the first place.
Just because you can't disprove something it doesn't make it valid.
I could make up whatever I want and make it so you can't disprove me.

There are religous types who seem to think because you can't disprove thier believes then they are right...

All religous debates are sorta retarded because noone can really win, but you can still look like a fool by using incorrect facts.

Reply #3037 Posted: July 03, 2007, 02:05:38 pm

Offline Pyromanik

yer, something like that.

He was quoting some scientific principal though.

Reply #3038 Posted: July 03, 2007, 02:14:07 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;473013

It's quite hypocritical that you take everything you read literally, then you attack any Christian who takes the bible literally. You seam just as bad as they are.

actually im attacking christians who quote facts like yourself saying to take some parts literally and other parts illiterally.

whose to says which parts we are supposed to literally and which parts to not?

just like your two quotes

Revelation 7:1
And after these things I saw four angels standing on four corers of the Earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

Four winds of the Earth, as in north , south, east and west winds.

Also,

Isaiah Chapter 40, verse 22: It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

i am supposed to take the first one literally but the second one not?

time to find a new thread because afaic monkey youve been well and truly beaten

Reply #3039 Posted: July 03, 2007, 02:24:28 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Reply #3040 Posted: July 03, 2007, 02:28:32 pm

Offline DaCollector

• Just settled in
  • DaCollector is looked down upon.
Quote from: KiLL3r;473121
actually im attacking christians who quote facts like yourself saying to take some parts literally and other parts illiterally.
whose to says which parts we are supposed to literally and which parts to not?
i am supposed to take the first one literally but the second one not?
time to find a new thread because afaic monkey you've been well and truly beaten

Revelations is a transportation/vision of the future written by a man of ancient times.
Not quite the same as the 10 commandments or the story of Daniel or Jesus or Soloman or David etc.
I've never heard any Christian say they understand those writings clearly including ministers of the church.
Funnily enough it seems non christians think they can interpret revelations though eh killer.

Reply #3041 Posted: July 03, 2007, 03:03:33 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: DaCollector;473164
Revelations is a transportation/vision of the future written by a man of ancient times.
Not quite the same as the 10 commandments or the story of Daniel or Jesus or Soloman or David etc.
I've never heard any Christian say they understand those writings clearly including ministers of the church.

the book of revelations is the worst book of all. ask most christians and they'll tell you global warming and everything thats happened recently was in revelations. 9/11 etc

Its so badly written you can apply almost any disaster to its writings if your gullible enough

Reply #3042 Posted: July 03, 2007, 03:10:04 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
A) theres nothing unique about the bible, every major story already existed and was borrowed from other religions.
B) moral codes & laws were around thousands of years before christianity.

C) A universe in a constant cycle of critical mass / expansion and collapse, isn't very likely. No more likely than a perpetual motion machine.

Reply #3043 Posted: July 03, 2007, 03:37:38 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
This is a pointless argument you guys are having, which is why I've stayed out of it.

You can't possibly expect that the Bible would be a cut-and-dry, black-and-white account of exactly what God wants to say, do you? Keep in mind that it is considered divinely inspired, not divinely written; its not a dictation - God didn't sit the writers of the Bible down with a typewriter each then say "Ok, type this ..." - God "spoke" to each of the writers and they wrote what they thought God was trying to say.

As for attacking literary devices as though they were meant to be taken literally (like the "four corners" BS which obviously refers to the 4 directions - North, South, East, West - in the Bible, as it does in every other book, article or scrap of paper on which it is scrawled), thats just petty guys - and that goes for Revelations as well; as DaCollector said, there are very few people who could say they understand the meaning of that book, in the context of faith - I know of, officially, none. The Bible is open to interpretation and is considered by Christians (and many others) to be as relevant now as it ever was.

The argument of whether God exists and how much weight should be put in the Bible if He does (not to mention which parts are to be taken literally and which parts are not) is NOT a scientific argument. Pro-science guys, top trying to say that science proves God has no merit; likewise, Christians, stop saying God proves science has no merit. Neither of these is correct. The question of God, of our existence and purpose ... these are deep, moral questions that are at the core of our being, that simply cannot be answered by science.

---

As for the guys who insist on pushing gross misrepresentations of the Christian church - for example, that they are all kiddie fiddlers, or all part of a hate cult, or all stupid ...

Firstly, the rate of paedophilia in the church is the same as the rate in society at large (mostly because the church is PART of society at large). Cases of this occurring are isolated and dealt with through official channels (ie police). Most churches I know of take measures to ensure this does not happen by providing "security" at all services and church events, and instilling accountability among those running them.

Secondly, the church is not a hate cult and it offends me that anyone could think that even if figureheads give that impression. The average church is concerned with doing whatever they can to help their community; providing shelter, food and other necessities to the homeless, prostitutes, criminals, recovering drug addicts and the rest of the members of society you prefer to forget about is more what they are interested in. Even guys you name as fronting this "hate campaign" (like Brian Tamaki) are only doing what they think will help every day New Zealanders.

Lastly, people who go to Christian churches aren't stupid - they just aren't arrogant enough to assume they are smart, and humble enough to listen to others.

Your misrepresentations of the Christian church are uneducated, offensive, and frankly, unsurprising given the arrogance and rudeness of those perpetuating these myths. If ANY of you were humble enough to step into a church and give it a chance you would find you are wrong.

---

As someone suggested earlier, can an admin please move the relevant posts from this thread into the Religion v Science thread.

Private_hell, please accept my apologies for so grossly derailing an otherwise interesting thread starter.

/angry rant

Reply #3044 Posted: July 03, 2007, 03:43:34 pm

Offline woofnstuff

• Addicted
Quote from: INmOTION;473072
Is she hot ?

the tooth fairy is a man, sort of

Quote from: Pyromanik;473090
One of them actually started hopping around yelling 'you can't do that, you can't do that!'
Perfect :)
he only says that cause he hasnt worked out that with the right colours in your paint box 1 + 1 is not equal to 2, or if you go faster than light things go a bit wackky

Reply #3045 Posted: July 03, 2007, 03:49:17 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: woofnstuff;473258
the tooth fairy is a man, sort of

enamel butt sex. at least they wouldn't stain.:sly:

Reply #3046 Posted: July 03, 2007, 03:51:02 pm

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.
Quote from: INmOTION;473072
Is she hot ?

[video]5KnWhSclaYw[/video]

Reply #3047 Posted: July 03, 2007, 03:54:34 pm
( •_•)>⌐

Offline woofnstuff

• Addicted
umm.. twisted, but not 100% off topic so no rep :)

Reply #3048 Posted: July 03, 2007, 03:59:42 pm

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.
Quote from: woofnstuff;473277
umm.. twisted, but not 100% off topic so no rep :)

i apologise for the offtopicness,.  but who;s post is!  wait wait dont count. -_-  

yeah.  sorry.  and here is a good articale since we are ont eh topic of science

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn12178-universe-mostly-forgets-its-past-during-cosmic-rebirth.html

i liek that line from startgate.  THE SINGULARITY IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE>

and carter was like... wtf that doent even make sense.  ah. i think that was episode 200.  man i love that show and will miss it

Reply #3049 Posted: July 03, 2007, 04:37:23 pm
( •_•)>⌐