Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Into The Void

• Devoted Member
  • Into The Void has no influence.
Sorry, but are you trying to say christians are better people because they donate. It doesn't take christians to donate. Millions of non-christians donate to charities.

Don't try and make them look so great, when donating is done by anyone, christian or not christian.

christian and bigot are synonyms.

Reply #3175 Posted: July 05, 2007, 12:08:05 am

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
Quote from: cobra;475047
that's a sad story - love killed by the holy war between science and religion

Nothing holy about it, I was arrogant. Plain as day and night.

I have, well, almost have a BSc, not in physics but close enough.

And I'm not saying it takes Christians to donate, I'm just pointing out that good things can come from having faith. Surely something that is powerful enough to make people volunteer their time and efforts by working in Africa with some of the world's poorest and most neglected, while appearing fundamentally wrong and archaic in modern society does deserve some shred of respect?

I just think that in todays fast paced society a lot of people are overwhelmed by the rapid pace of change. I don't think it is a bad thing to have some mechanism to help catch those people who fall away, it doesn't have to be the church but from where I'm sitting it ain't the Auckland University Geology Department offering to help these kids out.

Reply #3176 Posted: July 05, 2007, 12:18:30 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Simon_NZ;475052
Nothing holy about it, I was arrogant. Plain as day and night.

I have, well, almost have a BSc, not in physics but close enough.

And I'm not saying it takes Christians to donate, I'm just pointing out that good things can come from having faith. Surely something that is powerful enough to make people volunteer their time and efforts by working in Africa with some of the world's poorest and most neglected, while appearing fundamentally wrong and archaic in modern society does deserve some shred of respect?

I just think that in todays fast paced society a lot of people are overwhelmed by the rapid pace of change. I don't think it is a bad thing to have some mechanism to help catch those people who fall away, it doesn't have to be the church but from where I'm sitting it ain't the Auckland University Geology Department offering to help these kids out.

my aunt is a bishop down south somewhere - she got involved with the church because she wished to do good - christianity didn't make her want to help people, she wanted to help people and chose the church to work through - there are good people in non-christian countries, people who donate there time to helping those less fortunate, and there are nonchristians who do the same - christianity is irrelevant to these good deeds

Reply #3177 Posted: July 05, 2007, 01:30:52 am

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: KiLL3r;474929
seems like the "christian encyclopedia" doesnt approve

So you're pro-gay?

Reply #3178 Posted: July 05, 2007, 05:25:08 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.

he is entitled to his opinion, but no-one is forced to post here - Some one should enforce that B Sc Physics as a minimum requirement to post in this thread

Bit one sided don't you think? How about a reasonable qualification in theology also so we don't have as many retarded interpretations of the bible. It seems to be the 'scientists that seem to make the most references to scripture.

Quote from: Into The Void;475048

christian and bigot are synonyms.

Oh, who is the bigot?

Quote from: cobra;475078
my aunt is a bishop down south somewhere - she got involved with the church because she wished to do good - christianity didn't make her want to help people, she wanted to help people and chose the church to work through - there are good people in non-christian countries, people who donate there time to helping those less fortunate, and there are nonchristians who do the same - christianity is irrelevant to these good deeds

So why did she choose a church? Becuase they were a good place to help people throught? So churches do care about helping people, and aren't all about hate. Oh. Sounds like u just pwnd urself.

That may be a bit out of context however, I feel that you deserve some lip :P but don't worry, it's not because I hate you.

Reply #3179 Posted: July 05, 2007, 08:38:38 am
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Simon_NZ;474938
I'm sure he is a great dude, enjoys drinking beer, eating pizza and watching the game on the weekend like everyone else

Not this weekend - firstly, theres no game; secondly, I'll be drinking copious amounts of beer and eating copious amounts of pizza at Xlan :rnr:

Reply #3180 Posted: July 05, 2007, 09:06:20 am

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.
would have been good to go and meet some of you guys hehehe.  To much on for me at work though.  I also got church on Sunday!  woot!

Krasher.  mang~ nice one.  Breakin' it down to dish out the pwnz0ring. :rnr:

Reply #3181 Posted: July 05, 2007, 09:16:22 am
( •_•)>⌐

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Cobra, I'm going to reply to each of the following comments you made seperately - I believe you have me all wrong, and frankly you're starting to offend me by painting me with the same brush you use to paint religious extrmeists, which I'm not.

Quote from: cobra;474961
because he is anti science - sure he doesn't believe the world is flat but he promotes the modern equivalent - (his views on evolution and the big bang)

I'm not anti-science at all, you have got that 100% wrong. For a start, my favourite book is A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson - if I were anti-science, I couldn't have read 2 pages of it. At the moment, I'm reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond - basically a history of the last 10,000 years of human civilisation and development. Again, if I were anti-science, I wouldn't be reading a book like this. I seek knowledge, and I make a call on how legitimate I think it is based on my belief system, what I know to be correct already and other corresponding information.

Secondly, you seem to have my views on evolution and the Big Bang all wrong as well. I've never said I don't think either theory is correct - in fact, if you read my posts properly you'll find that I said I think both of these theories fit within my Christian beliefs.

I don't believe Evolution is the reason why we are here - I find it unlikely, given what I have read and what I feel is right in my heart, that we descended from monkeys - however I do believe that Evolution exists as a process for improving/refining current species; its been proven that both plants and animals change over time (even humans have changed over the years) - I just don't think we evolved from monkeys.

I don't believe the Big Bang came from nothing; I personally believe in the Quinquae Viae, a theory of causation put forward by Thomas Aquinas in 1274 AD. Summarised to three comments: "Whatever begins to exists has cause / The universe began to exists / Thus, the universe had a cause." HOWEVER I DO think that the Big Bang could be correct within this idea of divine causation.

As I've said before, I think Religion and Science are mutually exclusive - one deals with the 'why' of our existence, while the other deals with the 'who/what/when/where/how' of our existence.

Quote from: cobra;474961
my main problem is someone posted an interesing link to a man who is trying to find out about the universe - since this threatens his world view - he posted an uneducated reply (uneducated as he doesn't know the knowledge that maths has given us)

The thread was posted in a PUBLIC internet forum. I'm allowed to state my opinion.

he is entitled to his opinion, but no-one is forced to post here

So I should sit back and say nothing because YOU don't want to hear what I have to say?

That sounds like a great idea! The internet would be a great place if everything and everyone fitted in to Cobra's belief system and every comment was deemed acceptable by Cobra himself!

The reality is, I think for myself and I state what I think. I'm not brainwashed by any religious hate cult. Christians are - for the most part - free thinking people who are allowed to make their own decisions on what they believe, knowing that at some point they will need to reconcile that with God himself.

Conversely, your attitude towards my opinion is that I should be made to shut up - in the current international political environment, that would be called a Human Rights Violation, since you are supportive of removing my right to Freedom of Speech.

Some one should enforce that B Sc Physics as a minimum requirement to post in this thread

So you have a BSC Physics?

Frankly, this is more of the same Human Rights Violation - it wouldn't be a very good Religion vs Science thread if only scientists were allowed in now, would it. This just goes further to the point that you want Christian views abolished from this forum - in reality, you aren't right and there are people (like myself) who are willing to state what they believe, right or wrong.

As you said, you like discussion which could potentially change your worldview - I'm the same! But my world view hasn't been changed to an anti-God stance by this thread. In fact, my faith has grown stronger since this thread has helped me figure out exactly what I believe on certain points that have been raised.

Edit: one other thought: Religion and Science are topics that are relative to everyone, so everyone should be allowed to have a say. If you want to read only the input of people with at least a BSc Physics, maybe you should find a forum that caters to that.

Quote from: cobra;475001
i personally find it repugnant that he has such a closed minded view on family's - once again his mild homophobia makes more extreme homophobia more acceptable

I'm not a mild homophobic - I'm not any kind of homophobic.

As I've said, Christians and other independent pro-family groups are against the BILL not the people affected by the bill - funnily enough, the only people arguing this point are you (Cobra) and Into the Void, both of whom have probably never listened to anything anyone from the pro-family side have said and thus have no understanding of where pro-family groups are coming from.

I apologise that I have lost my cool a couple of times in here, but I'm just starting to get incredibly frustrated that the more I try to defend myself and my faith, the more I'm being told to sit down and shut up - my thought was that this was an internet discussion forum where I could post my opinion, whether right or wrong, and have it given the same respect as I give to others. I've lost my cool only at your posts that refer to me as a homophobic, a hater, a pedophile, a brainwashed fool - none of which I believe I am.

/long post

(I don't blame you guys if you decide 'tl;dr', but Cobra, I hope you read this thoroughly)

Reply #3182 Posted: July 05, 2007, 09:30:29 am

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
this is quite a big topic to cover so heres a few things:

- different ppl have different means of overcoming personal issues. it doesnt make them stronger or weaker than anyone else if they believe in God or not.

- whether God is real or not is up each individual person

- whether someone is against homosexuals or prostitutes doesnt always come from religious text sometimes its from the enviroment that the person grows up in

- just because someone is religious doesnt mean that they dont accept scientific ideas,views or theories

- the church doesnt hate - man hates

Reply #3183 Posted: July 05, 2007, 09:43:30 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;475113
So you're pro-gay?

far from it, just pointing out that even the christian wiki doesnt support fleas claims of peace and understanding

Reply #3184 Posted: July 05, 2007, 10:37:31 am

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;475240
far from it, just pointing out that even the christian wiki doesnt support fleas claims of peace and understanding

doesn't that make you a hypocrite?

Reply #3185 Posted: July 05, 2007, 10:42:14 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted

Conservopedia doesn't speak on behalf of me - in fact, I probably put as much support behind it as you do.

Reply #3186 Posted: July 05, 2007, 10:49:06 am

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.

But the Christian Wiki doesn't claim to speak for all Christians any more than you speak for all atheists/agnotistics.

Reply #3187 Posted: July 05, 2007, 10:51:58 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Simon_NZ;475244
doesn't that make you a hypocrite?

how so cobra was the one saying all the stuff refering to the topic i merely posted some stats

Reply #3188 Posted: July 05, 2007, 11:16:12 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;475267
how so cobra was the one saying all the stuff refering to the topic i merely posted some stats

Which is why I still respect your opinion.

Reply #3189 Posted: July 05, 2007, 11:20:51 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
So what are your thoughts on the god stopping rain for people when they get out of thier cars flea.

Reply #3190 Posted: July 05, 2007, 01:20:05 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
He's already said he finds that rediculous.

Reply #3191 Posted: July 05, 2007, 01:23:16 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Oh my bad didn't see that carry-on then.

Reply #3192 Posted: July 05, 2007, 01:26:12 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell
So what are your thoughts on the god stopping rain for people when they get out of thier cars flea.

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;474459
I once prayed for a parking space - then one came available right in front of the store! God = win, right? Well, I got closer and realised it was a handicapped space ... God = fail, right? Not quite - I remembered I WASN'T handicapped and had that to be thankful for ... so I parked 500m away and got rained on.

OK, I made that up. I'd like to think God was more concerned with knowing us, rather than sussing out parking spaces - or gaps in the rain - for us so we'll like Him better.

:D

(So many tangents in this thread, its easy to miss something).

Reply #3193 Posted: July 05, 2007, 01:27:19 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: krasher;475152
So why did she choose a church? Becuase they were a good place to help people throught? So churches do care about helping people, and aren't all about hate. Oh. Sounds like u just pwnd urself.

That may be a bit out of context however, I feel that you deserve some lip :P but don't worry, it's not because I hate you.

this is probably the start of quite a few posts

yeah, not out of context - but you are just making things up - didn't "pwn" myself, you didn't "pwn" me - i dont know if she does good - her will to do good has probably been tainted by the church

Krasher - you come from a religion that promotes forgiveness, can i ask why in BF2 you are an instapunishing fucktard?

Reply #3194 Posted: July 05, 2007, 02:38:02 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: TofuEater;475113
So you're pro-gay?

"you are either with us or against us"

just because you dont promote hatred towards a group does not mean you are "pro" that group

I find hatred towards people because god made them a certain way horrible - but i am not "progay" i dont hand out flyers telling people to be gay or tell my friends "man you should be gay, it would suit you"

i know your post wasn't directed at me, but it was fucken absurd

Reply #3195 Posted: July 05, 2007, 02:41:43 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;475196
I'm not anti-science at all, you have got that 100% wrong. For a start, my favourite book is A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson - if I were anti-science, I couldn't have read 2 pages of it. At the moment, I'm reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond - basically a history of the last 10,000 years of human civilisation and development. Again, if I were anti-science, I wouldn't be reading a book like this. I seek knowledge, and I make a call on how legitimate I think it is based on my belief system, what I know to be correct already and other corresponding information.

Secondly, you seem to have my views on evolution and the Big Bang all wrong as well. I've never said I don't think either theory is correct - in fact, if you read my posts properly you'll find that I said I think both of these theories fit within my Christian beliefs.

I don't believe Evolution is the reason why we are here - I find it unlikely, given what I have read and what I feel is right in my heart, that we descended from monkeys - however I do believe that Evolution exists as a process for improving/refining current species; its been proven that both plants and animals change over time (even humans have changed over the years) - I just don't think we evolved from monkeys.
I don't believe the Big Bang came from nothing; I personally believe in the Quinquae Viae, a theory of causation put forward by Thomas Aquinas in 1274 AD. Summarised to three comments: "Whatever begins to exists has cause / The universe began to exists / Thus, the universe had a cause." HOWEVER I DO think that the Big Bang could be correct within this idea of divine causation.

As I've said before, I think Religion and Science are mutually exclusive - one deals with the 'why' of our existence, while the other deals with the 'who/what/when/where/how' of our existence.

your world view has twisted the science untill it is no longer science - if man didn't evolve could you please tell us where man came from and when - i can not see how your world view can be compatible with reality

"whatever begins to exist has cause" not since quantum physics

The thread was posted in a PUBLIC internet forum. I'm allowed to state my opinion.

So I should sit back and say nothing because YOU don't want to hear what I have to say?

That sounds like a great idea! The internet would be a great place if everything and everyone fitted in to Cobra's belief system and every comment was deemed acceptable by Cobra himself!

The reality is, I think for myself and I state what I think. I'm not brainwashed by any religious hate cult. Christians are - for the most part - free thinking people who are allowed to make their own decisions on what they believe, knowing that at some point they will need to reconcile that with God himself.

Conversely, your attitude towards my opinion is that I should be made to shut up - in the current international political environment, that would be called a Human Rights Violation, since you are supportive of removing my right to Freedom of Speech.

I wasn't saying you shouldn't post here - i was just saying you were entering this debate out of your own free will (or god was making you, depending on your world view) - i never said you should shut up

you should not misuse "Human Rights Violation" it is kinda hateful towards people who do suffer Human Rights Violations

So you have a BSC Physics?

yes

Frankly, this is more of the same Human Rights Violation - it wouldn't be a very good Religion vs Science thread if only scientists were allowed in now, would it. This just goes further to the point that you want Christian views abolished from this forum - in reality, you aren't right and there are people (like myself) who are willing to state what they believe, right or wrong.

As you said, you like discussion which could potentially change your worldview - I'm the same! But my world view hasn't been changed to an anti-God stance by this thread. In fact, my faith has grown stronger since this thread has helped me figure out exactly what I believe on certain points that have been raised.

Edit: one other thought: Religion and Science are topics that are relative to everyone, so everyone should be allowed to have a say. If you want to read only the input of people with at least a BSc Physics, maybe you should find a forum that caters to that.

i was joking

I'm not a mild homophobic - I'm not any kind of homophobic.

As I've said, Christians and other independent pro-family groups are against the BILL not the people affected by the bill - funnily enough, the only people arguing this point are you (Cobra) and Into the Void, both of whom have probably never listened to anything anyone from the pro-family side have said and thus have no understanding of where pro-family groups are coming from.

My parents friends broke up, the wife and her two kids moved in with the wifes girlfriend - they have been together for 10 years - they would find it very hateful you suggesting that they were not a family

please get one of your homosexual friends to read you post about "which one is a family" - see if they think it is promoting a hateful world view against them

do you think homosexuals are going to burn in hell for the way god created them? unless they suppress their sexuality?

there is a fine line between being against the bill and being against the people, to people not in your head they look like the same thing

If a homosexual couple has been together for 50 years and one of them is dying in hospital then, with out state recognition, the partner can not visit when in is family only visiting times, to me that is evil

how does the state accepting alternative family groups effect people who support "family values" - I will probably get a civil union rather then marry my girlfriend as the idea of marriage as handing over ownership of a woman is kinda horrible

Reply #3196 Posted: July 05, 2007, 02:45:23 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
^^^
Huh?!

Seriously, your posts above that one are becoming more and more absurd yourself mate. You want to stop and think before you start posting stupid shit here.

For example, the reason krasher punishes is probably firstly, because he was TKed on purpose; secondly, because he felt wronged; and thirdly, because its a f*cking game - get over it.

Reply #3197 Posted: July 05, 2007, 03:13:13 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: private_hell;475207

- whether God is real or not is up each individual person

i agree with the general idea of your post up to here - if god is a decision people make then there is not actual god, god is just a viewpoint

maybe i do agree with it

not sure of my point anymore

Reply #3198 Posted: July 05, 2007, 03:20:37 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;475427
^^^
Huh?!

Seriously, your posts above that one are becoming more and more absurd yourself mate. You want to stop and think before you start posting stupid shit here.

For example, the reason krasher punishes is probably firstly, because he was TKed on purpose; secondly, because he felt wronged; and thirdly, because its a f*cking game - get over it.

well, it was an accidental tk - but surely you should practice your beliefs in all areas of your life - i dont care at all about punishes - but if people are promoting a world view they dont practice then they are hypocrites

so the bible teaches forgiveness unless you feel wronged and even then you can pick or choose when to forgive? bible +1

Reply #3199 Posted: July 05, 2007, 03:23:46 pm