Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Steady

• Addicted
  • Steady has no influence.
Yeah sorry I just really dislike the church ay. They're getting better lately I suppose, although still behind other religions with the whole "accepting other religions" thing. I'm sorry

Reply #325 Posted: April 09, 2006, 10:10:28 pm
SOMETIMES I\'M NOT SERIOUS LOL

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
when i was in primary school oh so long ago we had sum religous nuts come round and basically tell us cavemen never existed and neither did dinosaurs

so i guess those dinosaur bones where all fake then  :laff:  :laff:

Reply #326 Posted: April 09, 2006, 10:23:04 pm

Offline - NicK -

• Just settled in
  • - NicK - has no influence.
Quote from: Simon_NZ
No it wasnt. It was written after his death.

As far as I understand it the authors of the Bible wrote through divine influence. i.e. God wrote it through men.

Reply #327 Posted: April 09, 2006, 10:28:42 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
Quote from: - NicK -
As far as I understand it the authors of the Bible wrote through divine influence. i.e. God wrote it through men.

How convient.

Could that stand up to the scientific method? No

But because its 'supernatural' it is excluded.

Once again how convient.

Reply #328 Posted: April 09, 2006, 10:31:40 pm

Offline Steady

• Addicted
  • Steady has no influence.
The Church is a construct of man and so is very, very fallible.

I would think the same applies here, I know I wouldn't trust any of my mates with writing a book like that. I've actually heard it was a collection of stories or a library of books. As in it didn't all get written at once for the purpose of being a 'Holy book'

Reply #329 Posted: April 09, 2006, 10:33:09 pm
SOMETIMES I\'M NOT SERIOUS LOL

Offline - NicK -

• Just settled in
That's right it was written by many over a long period of time. It is probably because of the involvement of man that such a fuss is made about interpreting the Bible.

Convenient? Certainly. But isn't all evidence that supports an idea? Evidence isn't formed to justify theories. Theories are written to connect and explain evidence. Anyway, I've already stated that I find scientific method flawed.

Reply #330 Posted: April 09, 2006, 10:40:45 pm

Offline - NicK -

• Just settled in
Without a shadow of doubt I can prove that what I did eat for dinner tonight was not shit.

That is 'assumption' it is a fact. If I choose to I could follow the chicken from the battery, to the freezing works, then to the supermarket for me to buy. Second I could take a pile of shit, get out my chemistry set and note the differences in chemical make up between shit and chicken. While I am eating the chicken I could take scans of the brain waves then compare then to brains waves of when im eating shit.

Genetics have been changed in a very small amout of time. See.

That is not proof that you're not eating faeces. Your assumptions, observations and tests are all based on your physical senses. Fallible inputs.

Are the foxes not still foxes? Same number of chromosomes etc. All they've done is remove certain traits from the genotype. If the foxes could be reinserted into their species' population and successfully breed, would their eventual descendants not resemble their wilder ancestors? (Ignoring of course the fact that the more placid animals would be unlikely to survive in the wild, just trying to get at that it would be possible to return the characteristics that have been removed.) Show me scientists breeding flamingos from viri.

Reply #331 Posted: April 09, 2006, 11:00:22 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
so some people have visions and conversations with god, and get reverence and holy literature printed.

other get labelled 'heretic' and burnt to death. or simply classed as mad, and treated as such. how to choose ? wow literary critics don't have half the power they used to.

Reply #332 Posted: April 09, 2006, 11:20:32 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
That is not proof that you're not eating faeces. Your assumptions, observations and tests are all based on your physical senses. Fallible inputs.

Are the foxes not still foxes? Same number of chromosomes etc. All they've done is remove certain traits from the genotype. If the foxes could be reinserted into their species' population and successfully breed, would their eventual descendants not resemble their wilder ancestors? (Ignoring of course the fact that the more placid animals would be unlikely to survive in the wild, just trying to get at that it would be possible to return the characteristics that have been removed.) Show me scientists breeding flamingos from viri.

Your a perfect example of why it is pointless to argue points of fact against.

Reply #333 Posted: April 10, 2006, 12:02:52 am

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Black Heart
so some people have visions and conversations with god, and get reverence and holy literature printed.

other get labelled 'heretic' and burnt to death. or simply classed as mad, and treated as such. how to choose ? wow literary critics don't have half the power they used to.

yer sum woman killed her husband and her 2 children recently and claimed that god told her to do it!

Reply #334 Posted: April 10, 2006, 12:05:55 am

Offline - NicK -

• Just settled in
Your a perfect example of why it is pointless to argue points of fact against.
Thank you.

It IS pointless to argue about facts because nothing CAN be proved!

Reply #335 Posted: April 10, 2006, 12:40:24 am

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
  • laurasaur has no influence.
can we try keeping the personal insults to a level that occur in mature conversation? :P
(this is laura)

Reply #336 Posted: April 10, 2006, 12:45:00 am
:violin:

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: KiLL3r
when i was in primary school oh so long ago we had sum religous nuts come round and basically tell us cavemen never existed and neither did dinosaurs

so i guess those dinosaur bones where all fake then  :laff:  :laff:

That should be illegal. 100% illegal. Indoctrinating the youth, etcetera. I would agree if they taught the place of religion in the world, but in no way should it be allowed to promote religion in a publicly funded (be it fully or only partial).

Reply #337 Posted: April 10, 2006, 01:26:11 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline - NicK -

• Just settled in
So, then should teaching evolution (or indeed any theory) be aswell?

Reply #338 Posted: April 10, 2006, 01:38:46 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
So, then should teaching evolution (or indeed any theory) be aswell?

No. A scientific theory is just fact by a different name.

And anyway, we're not all as nihlistic as you.

Reply #339 Posted: April 10, 2006, 01:51:10 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline - NicK -

• Just settled in
Fair enough. :D

I guess I'm just struggling to define the difference between religious and scientific faiths.

Reply #340 Posted: April 10, 2006, 01:55:43 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
This thread is pointless, it's just gonna go on and on.

The creationalists are never going to believe our facts about evolution because they are so devoted to their religion, and we are never going to believe what they say about creation because, well, it's laughable.

I'd like to believe that when we die we go to a happy magical world full of fields and flying people, but it's not gonna happen. All we are is a piece of thinking meat hidden away in the skull of a body which we control. When our heart is no longer able to pump blood to us, or we whack our head too hard against something, everything turns black, we die, and we rot.

Reply #341 Posted: April 10, 2006, 05:57:30 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
This is the thread that never ends,
It goes on and on my friend,
Some people starting posting not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue posting forever just becasue,

This is the thread that never ends...

Reply #342 Posted: April 10, 2006, 06:31:18 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BerG
I'd like to believe that when we die we go to a happy magical world full of fields and flying people, but it's not gonna happen. All we are is a piece of thinking meat hidden away in the skull of a body which we control. When our heart is no longer able to pump blood to us, or we whack our head too hard against something, everything turns black, we die, and we rot.

How can you be so sure that when you die, that is it? What if we were in fact just a brain floating in a vat of goo, connected to an advanced computer which runs a program which simulates our life.

Now if we died in this program, the masters of the program could simply wipe your memory, reset the program, and you would be a baby again, in a fact reincarnated.

Now, we could never prove whether this is true or not, it's all comes down to what we believe.

Also, if you were in a computer program, you could not rely on your scientific facts to prove anything, as they would all be meaningless, just constructs of the program. So saying 'I believe this because of this scientific fact’ means nothing on it's own, it can only mean something if you believe that your 'scientific facts' are correct, therefore, you are on the same level as any creationist.

Now, a belief in God falls outside this, as it is because of a persons own spirituality that causes them to believe in a God, and not dependent on facts produced by the world they live in, whether it be real or simulated.

Reply #343 Posted: April 10, 2006, 07:12:09 am

Offline KiLL3r

yer i think the programs having problems i keep seeing rendering problems and a couple of times i have looked at a wall andthe textures didnt load fast enough

Reply #344 Posted: April 10, 2006, 10:59:17 am

Quote from: KiLL3r
yer i think the programs having problems i keep seeing rendering problems and a couple of times i have looked at a wall andthe textures didnt load fast enough

It could be a driver problem, or you might of been drunk.

Reply #345 Posted: April 10, 2006, 11:07:24 am

Offline SmiLinSniPeR

• Addicted
  • SmiLinSniPeR has no influence.
Try a reboot an get a good firewall

Reply #346 Posted: April 10, 2006, 11:16:56 am

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Space Monkey
It could be a driver problem, or you might of been drunk.

nope, i was very tired thou 2,999

Reply #347 Posted: April 10, 2006, 11:43:52 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
yes being drunk affects your hit detection also.

Reply #348 Posted: April 10, 2006, 01:47:49 pm

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: Space Monkey
This is the thread that never ends,
It goes on and on my friend,
Some people starting posting not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue posting forever just becasue,

This is the thread that never ends...

that song angers me more than creationists.

Reply #349 Posted: April 10, 2006, 02:22:47 pm