Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;476565
my friend lived next to a church that used to wake him up by singing U2 songs, if thats not evidence that the church does evil I dont know what is

It could've been alot worse than U2, admittedly ...

As far as forgiveness goes, I don't know enough about the topic to be able to authoritively state the biblical stance on it - however, I've always believe that if you ask for forgiveness from God then it has to come from a place of sincerity (both in terms of believing in God, and in terms of the geuniness of your remorse). I also believe that God looks after children who are too young or don't understand or whatever - what the "age" would be I don't have a clue but I'm sure God has it worked out.

Reply #3250 Posted: July 08, 2007, 09:02:40 am

Offline Into The Void

• Devoted Member
  • Into The Void has no influence.
Yes, i'm sure God can handle the billions of christians praying at once. Funny how thou shalt not lie. Yet christians take part in fooling kids and lieing to them about santa and all that shit. Hey, if santa was fake, then this god fellow seems a lot more farfetched to me.

Reply #3251 Posted: July 08, 2007, 09:47:18 am

Offline true

• Devoted Member
  • true has no influence.
This thread is still going....legend

Reply #3252 Posted: July 08, 2007, 11:29:17 am
bought wow
quit sauce

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;477110
I'm sure God has it worked out.

if in doubt, god will sort it out!

Reply #3253 Posted: July 08, 2007, 11:33:59 am

Offline true

• Devoted Member
  • true has no influence.
Into The Void, if you come here (into Off Topic) make sure you dont have any opinion that, conflicts with Simon NZ or any other of the blokes, and/or makes them look like the narrow minded people they are, otherwise youll be neg repped all the way home.

Trust me, after a few times of posting subjective and well thought out replies, my rep screen was raining blood. So the thing to do is TO NOT GIVE A FUCK

Reply #3254 Posted: July 08, 2007, 11:42:04 am
bought wow
quit sauce

Offline Into The Void

• Devoted Member
  • Into The Void has no influence.
Yeah, I don't really care, however i'd like to at least stay green. Just found it really funny how someone thought they knew who neg repped them, but actually they didn't. So whoever it was, you were wrong. Bad luck.

I'm not really serious about much of this, but I do think that religious people take their religion too far. If you wanna believe in god and stuff, thats fine. But feeling the need to go to church and knock on peoples doors trying to give them jesus books is a waste of time. If you want to spend your time doing something for the world, church and trying to convert people isn't helping anything.

Reply #3255 Posted: July 08, 2007, 06:29:04 pm

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;476390
thats not what the christian i used to work with said. he said you can commit any sin no matter how horrific as long as you ask for forgiveness youll goto heaven,

Well thats a half truth.  First you will still go to Jail, and secondly if you aren't truely sorry your wont be forgiven.  On judgement day God will Judge you by your own thoughts.  So if you thought you could get away, but what i ment was.... you'll be told what you really did think and ofcourse you'll get owned.  But if The Lords blood is sufficient for you,  you beleive your sins are washed away with his blood because he died for you on the cross, and you know your name is written in the book of life you'll be sweet as.  

Thats my belief anyways.

Quote from: KiLL3r;476390

also said babies and children who die young and cant ask forgiveness goto HELL!

so sry to those christian mothers who children died at birth because while your  safe with your god in heaven hes sent your child to burn forever in hell. Geez doesnt he sound like a nice guy

Those kids will all go to heaven.  They haven't sinned.  They don't know the difference between right and wrong, or know what they are yet either!  A sin could be explained as doing something wrong when you know it is.  Say for instance if someone was going to steal a car.  They think about it. They know its wrong and they do it anyway.  They will then be guilty of stealing.   So because they don't know what sin is yet they haven't yet sinned!

God knows innocence.  He knows what's truely in peoples hearts.  God knows the reason for everything.  If a little kid steals a pack of bubble gum.  He wont be going to hell.  He is just a little ratbag what does he know about stealing!  God isn't as clear cut as people make him out to be.  We can't even begin to understand why he does the things he does.  And i doubt we ever will.

Reply #3256 Posted: July 09, 2007, 09:06:05 pm
( •_•)>⌐

Offline IndigestionMan

• I Posted!
  • IndigestionMan has no influence.
The abrahamic god is a jekyll and hyde. More of a vain, sadist, tyrant than a benevolent deity. Who is this god trying to impress with acts of punishing people by sending them to hell anyway? Most likely himself since he's on top of the food chain according to religious dogma.

People should obtain their own morals or beliefs from their own real life experiences and free-thinking than to subject themselves into believing in idealistic fairy tales written over 2000 years ago by superstitious idiots.

Reply #3257 Posted: July 10, 2007, 12:04:39 am

Offline Popin

• Just settled in
  • Popin has no influence.
God must be Korean, I mean, how else would he be able to micro manage everything in the world?

Reply #3258 Posted: July 10, 2007, 12:23:24 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Who_ate_my_rice;478714
Well thats a half truth.  First you will still go to Jail, and secondly if you aren't truely sorry your wont be forgiven.  On judgement day God will Judge you by your own thoughts.  So if you thought you could get away, but what i ment was.... you'll be told what you really did think and ofcourse you'll get owned.  But if The Lords blood is sufficient for you,  you beleive your sins are washed away with his blood because he died for you on the cross, and you know your name is written in the book of life you'll be sweet as.  
e can't even begin to understand why he does the things he does.  And i doubt we ever will
Thats my belief anyways.

um.... count how many times you used blood in that paragraph - are you sure that you dont worship satan?

+ sins are different from laws - you can sin away and not go to jail

Reply #3259 Posted: July 10, 2007, 01:48:05 am

Offline KiLL3r

they goto church and "drink" the blood of christ. if drinking blood isnt satanic i dont know what is

Reply #3260 Posted: July 10, 2007, 10:27:32 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Firstly, the idea of "the blood of Christ" and the practice of "communion" are both things that make sense within the context of the church and belief in God, but make little sense to people with no understanding of these practices.

Secondly, this thread is titled Religion vs Science; as Cobra has mentioned himself, lets keep it on the topic of Science rather than allowing it to become a church bashing thread - if you want one of those, Anotherbodybag started one a couple of weeks back.

Thirdly:

Reply #3261 Posted: July 10, 2007, 10:34:23 am

Offline woofnstuff

• Addicted
  • woofnstuff has no influence.
Im sort of amazed this is still going, tho not surprised

religion was invented as a way to control people with non-rational and unprovable fear.
there was a time in the "dark ages" when the population needed some guides on morals which is where things like the bible and commandments etc did serve a purpose, and was needed.  as a set of guides on how not to be shitty to one another, religion can claim both ends of the spectrum, both some of the best things like the good people eg mother teresa, but also things done in the name of "God" like the crusades which were some of the biggest acts of evil in history.

out of all modern "god" fearing religions today the salvation army is the only one that earns any respect from me, their main goal seems to be to help people with less than themselves, they dont drink or smoke either... [/rant]

Reply #3262 Posted: July 10, 2007, 10:41:02 am
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don\'t.

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: woofnstuff;479181
eg mother teresa,

we have already discussed mother teresa and she was was closer to a satanic demi goddes than a good person

Reply #3263 Posted: July 10, 2007, 11:25:36 am

Offline woofnstuff

• Addicted
i must  have missed that in the previous 100 pages i skipped :)

Reply #3264 Posted: July 10, 2007, 11:31:57 am
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don\'t.

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;479179
Firstly, the idea of "the blood of Christ" and the practice of "communion" are both things that make sense within the context of the church and belief in God, but make little sense to people with no understanding of these practices.

are you saying i have no understanding of your "practices"?

Reply #3265 Posted: July 10, 2007, 11:33:09 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
holy crap its a tangent!

I recommend the above mentioned doco if you are actually interested in knowing the origins of the bible.

The church pushes that the bible is the word of god, which pretty much means that god inspired man to write it. But the actual hard truth of the matter is that it was not god, it was politics and propaganda. Men decided what was going to be in it for their own requirements at the time - not for the greater good of mankind and definitely not for any great spiritual reason.

Basically the book is full of untruths. Which is irrelevant when it comes to faith I suppose, because it doesn't really matter what you believe just that you believe something. But for fuck sake, at least understand what you believe. And don't be a stupid fundie. (not directed at anyone) and don't inflict stupid illogical mythology upon mankind or science.

The clergy tried to do that before, it was called the dark ages.

oh and thanks arni for the doco

Reply #3266 Posted: July 10, 2007, 11:49:39 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline woofnstuff

• Addicted
tho the way things are heading now if one super power takes control of the world and thru its own greed gets fat and lazy, they will go the way of the romans, tho possibly not not mad from drinking water from lead pipes.  then there will be a new dark age.

Reply #3267 Posted: July 10, 2007, 12:01:51 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;479223
are you saying i have no understanding of your "practices"?

Not an all-encompassing NO knowledge, but they are things that make more sense when viewed in the context of belief in God and in Jesus.

Reply #3268 Posted: July 10, 2007, 12:05:49 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Who_ate_my_rice;476383

If God asked you why you should be allowed into heaven.  What will you say?

I'll say.. "OI! you're my imaginary friend, do as you're told or I'll imagine someone who's more co-operative and then where will ya be. eh eh???"

Reply #3269 Posted: July 10, 2007, 12:14:19 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline woofnstuff

• Addicted
"Animals have these advantages over man: they have no theologians to instruct them, their funerals cost them nothing, and no one starts lawsuits over their wills." -- Voltaire

Reply #3270 Posted: July 10, 2007, 12:30:47 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;479252
Not an all-encompassing NO knowledge, but they are things that make more sense when viewed in the context of belief in God and in Jesus.

Most apparently nonsensical things make more sense when viewed in the context of the holders beliefs.

Tin foil hats are very sensible in the context of  a firmly held belief that the NWO is controlling us through  a mind ray.

BTW I was raised by someone who thought transubstantiation was exactly what it claimed to be

Reply #3271 Posted: July 10, 2007, 12:53:57 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;479305
Most apparently nonsensical things make more sense when viewed in the context of the holders beliefs.

Tin foil hats are very sensible in the context of  a firmly held belief that the NWO is controlling us through a mind ray.

A very good point.

The things that KiLL3r, Rice and Cobra were talking about though are like if I was to say to you guys that I'm going to go to work today and rebuild a Nightlife system's database, drivelog, and schedule, then ensure it has no audio skips or video sync errors, it would make some sense to you - but you wouldn't totally understand it unless you came to my work, saw what I did and had some experience with the Nightlife system.

The practice of "communion" or using terms like "Jesus' blood" are like that - without actually having some experience within the church and understanding where they come from and what they are for, they just seem to be crazy practices of weird Christians dudes. They're kind of like jargon that are used within the church - and any group of people have jargon. "Jesus' blood" is jargon that makes as much sense to you guys as "rofl" or "tl;dr" would make to a church pastor.

As such, the only person who could make a judgement on the validity of a process of communion would be someone who has engaged in it on a regular basis, within the boundary of a relationship with God; same as the validity of a tin foil hat could only be decided by someone who believes the NWO is controlling us.

Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;479305
BTW I was raised by someone who thought transubstantiation was exactly what it claimed to be

:eek:

Reply #3272 Posted: July 10, 2007, 01:10:44 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;479321

As such, the only person who could make a judgement on the validity of a process of communion would be someone who has engaged in it on a regular basis, within the boundary of a relationship with God; same as the validity of a tin foil hat could only be decided by someone who believes the NWO is controlling us.

:eek:

i attended a catholic school for 4 years, we regularly had mass. i think im qualified enough. the the blood of jesus is just that. sure its substituted with wine but its still represent the blood of jesus, so why do christians regularly drink the blood of their savior?

Reply #3273 Posted: July 10, 2007, 02:30:44 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;479372
i attended a catholic school for 4 years, we regularly had mass. i think im qualified enough. the the blood of jesus is just that. sure its substituted with wine but its still represent the blood of jesus, so why do christians regularly drink the blood of their savior?

To "do this in memory of" Him?
If you'd been at a Catholic School for 4 years, I thought you would have known that.

And as far as it actually being His blood, thats a catholic thing. My belief is that bread and wine are simply that - bread and wine, used symbolically, in remembrance of Christ dying on the cross for us all.

Reply #3274 Posted: July 10, 2007, 02:57:55 pm