Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.

Reply #3275 Posted: July 10, 2007, 02:59:50 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
beleiving the story of christ is like beleiving david beckham invented soccer.

Reply #3276 Posted: July 10, 2007, 03:15:27 pm

Offline Into The Void

• Devoted Member
  • Into The Void has no influence.
if jesus died on the cross, it wasn't for all of us. It's because he did something bad, maybe he fucked Mary in the ass or something and they found out.

Reply #3277 Posted: July 10, 2007, 03:23:31 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;479372
i attended a catholic school for 4 years, we regularly had mass. i think im qualified enough. the the blood of jesus is just that. sure its substituted with wine but its still represent the blood of jesus, so why do christians regularly drink the blood of their savior?

I attended a catholic school for one year and it was the most awful representation of Christianity I have ever seen. Point is that you can't say you know what one person believes because he wears the same label. Science would back that up I'm sure. So no. I don't believe you are qualified to make generalizations about what Christianity is from your small experience, just like it wouldn't make sense for to me say that all Catholics are dick heads just cos most of them were at that particular school.

Oh, and your lame Christian mockery comments are not appropriate or appreciated.

Reply #3278 Posted: July 10, 2007, 04:04:49 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
why are so you defensive about your beliefs?

Surely your intelligent enough to see all the holes that are present in them?

Reply #3279 Posted: July 10, 2007, 04:10:34 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
Quote from: Simon_NZ;479467
why are so you defensive about your beliefs?

Surely your intelligent enough to see all the holes that are present in them?

I can see plenty of things that are not unexplained - but I also see that science doesn't explain the miracles I have experienced either. Surely you are intelligent enough to understand that :P.  Kidding - but seirously...the Christians in this thread don't diss science, why does the other team have to be so insulting ot Christianity. I don't get it. Particularly when i get feedback saying that I am the one full of hate. Lol@thisthread.

Reply #3280 Posted: July 10, 2007, 05:33:55 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
  • DEATH0WL has no influence.
I want to hear about these "personal experiences with God" or "miracles" that all the Religious supporters here talk about.

Try to not lie about what did/didn't happen. +Rep for the stories since I've been wondering about them for awhile.

Reply #3281 Posted: July 10, 2007, 05:38:55 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
Read back a few hundred pages where I posted them already.

Reply #3282 Posted: July 10, 2007, 05:55:31 pm
=]IRBS[=

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: krasher;479598
Read back a few hundred pages where I posted them already.

actually you didnt. so please enlighten us :)

Reply #3283 Posted: July 10, 2007, 06:03:13 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
I did. Can't be bothered rewriting. They are there. Well at least they were.

BTW religion wins tonight - there are some churches on the news looking after people from the floods and homeless people. What is science doing for them? Telling them its raining? :P Thought I might bring us back on topic... :D

Reply #3284 Posted: July 10, 2007, 07:23:17 pm
=]IRBS[=

Offline Bane

• Addicted
  • Bane has no influence.
Quote from: krasher;479687

BTW religion wins tonight - there are some churches on the news looking after people from the floods and homeless people. What is science doing for them? Telling them its raining? :P Thought I might bring us back on topic... :D

I still remember when somebody photoshopped a photo of a hole in the clouds after a hurricane in the states, basically he photoshopped a pair of hands on either side of the hole in an obvious representation of Goatse.

Unfortunately some religious goob found the pic, failed to notice the resemblance and started e-mailing it around as "The Hands of God"

Reply #3285 Posted: July 10, 2007, 07:30:46 pm

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted

Oi! No changing the bloody topic until you either: quote it or write it again :cussing:

Reply #3286 Posted: July 10, 2007, 07:44:13 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;479399
To "do this in memory of" Him?
If you'd been at a Catholic School for 4 years, I thought you would have known that.

And as far as it actually being His blood, thats a catholic thing. My belief is that bread and wine are simply that - bread and wine, used symbolically, in remembrance of Christ dying on the cross for us all.

Yes but catholics firmly believe that transubstantiation is actual.  My complete inability to reconcile that with the fact that the bread and wine had clearly undergone no physical change, was one of the early  cracks in the facade of faith I was being raised in.

The physical universe exists with or without our presence and understanding. Being sentient in such an oblivious environment is a powerful incentive to add some sort of meaning to your personal story.

I only get irritated when people whose story and reality collide, stick with their story, and then insist that anyone who doesn't agree with their particular delusion is in some way evil or misguided.

Reply #3287 Posted: July 10, 2007, 07:53:23 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline KiLL3r

well quote them then

so because they are giving them shelter religion wins?

did religion create roofs?
did religion create walls?
did religions create the foldout bed?

what defines religion winning?
sounds more like compassion wins not religion

Reply #3288 Posted: July 10, 2007, 08:05:23 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Science told the nubs a storm was coming so they could flee/get ready.

Unfortunatly science wasn't around to warn everyone about the FUCKING GREAT FLOOD that wiped out mankind (bar every species of animal which survived on a boat).

Reply #3289 Posted: July 10, 2007, 08:07:44 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
Quote from: DEATH0WL;479705
Oi! No changing the bloody topic until you either: quote it or write it again :cussing:

Bossy aren't ya.

Reply #3290 Posted: July 10, 2007, 08:27:51 pm
=]IRBS[=

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: krasher;479769
Bossy aren't ya.

yup hes got nothing. religion cant hold up to questioning without collapsing in on itself

Reply #3291 Posted: July 10, 2007, 08:40:40 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: KiLL3r;479780
yup hes got nothing. religion cant hold up to questioning without collapsing in on itself

Says you.

First of all, krashers assertion about churches helping out in the flooding here in Northland was relevant because yourself and Cobra both picked on the church for being self-serving and hateful - the exact OPPOSITE of compassionate, which you yourself described the churches' help as being.

Secondly, there are dozens of stories I could think of from my own experience that I could share with you all, but I won't - not because they're made up or anything; just that they are so special to me that I wouldn't want them to be tainted by a bunch of wannabe knowitalls abusing me, calling me crazy or worse, and telling me that what I know happened in fact didn't happen because their anti-God stance says so. I mean, 5 days ago I was referred to as no better than a Nazi in this thread, so why would I want to share personal and cherished meories in that environment? I wouldn't; no-one would.

Again, this is a Religion vs Science thread, not a Church vs Non-church thread - it was only 2 pages ago that Cobra wanted everyone posting in here to have a BSc in Physics before posting, and frankly I'm sick of being abused, insulted and having to defend myself and my beliefs against what are nothing more than mindless attacks. What does hating on the church have to do with science? NOTHING! So drop the church hating bullsh*t.

Reply #3292 Posted: July 10, 2007, 08:57:33 pm

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;479791
Secondly, there are dozens of stories I could think of from my own experience that I could share with you all, but I won't - not because they're made up or anything; just that they are so special to me that I wouldn't want them to be tainted by a bunch of wannabe knowitalls abusing me, calling me crazy or worse, and telling me that what I know happened in fact didn't happen because their anti-God stance says so. I mean, 5 days ago I was referred to as no better than a Nazi in this thread, so why would I want to share personal and cherished meories in that environment? I wouldn't; no-one would.

Death0wl sad now :(

Reply #3293 Posted: July 10, 2007, 09:03:57 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;479791
Says you.

First of all, krashers assertion about churches helping out in the flooding here in Northland was relevant because yourself and Cobra both picked on the church for being self-serving and hateful - the exact OPPOSITE of compassionate, which you yourself described the churches' help as being.

Again, this is a Religion vs Science thread, not a Church vs Non-church thread - it was only 2 pages ago that Cobra wanted everyone posting in here to have a BSc in Physics before posting, and frankly I'm sick of being abused, insulted and having to defend myself and my beliefs against what are nothing more than mindless attacks. What does hating on the church have to do with science? NOTHING! So drop the church hating bullsh*t.

dude - dont put words in my mouth - where did i say you were no better then a nazi?

the church is antiscience - so being anti-antiscience is being proscience

i would bet that all of your "dozens" of experiences, if experienced by a rational person, would not be put down to god/miracles - if these happen how come there is no proof of these

Reply #3294 Posted: July 10, 2007, 09:08:22 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;479798
dude - dont put words in my mouth - where did i say you were no better then a nazi?

You implied it right here:
Quote from: cobra;475576
i believe in zero tolerance for those promote hatred - i would say the samethings if this was science vs skinheads or science vs nazis

Quote from: cobra;479798
i would bet that all of your "dozens" of experiences, if experienced by a rational person, would not be put down to god/miracles - if these happen how come there is no proof of these

Case in point - I can't even say I have had experiences or memories without you saying that they aren't what I think. Why would I go further into specifics?

Reply #3295 Posted: July 10, 2007, 09:50:37 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Err, to be fair this thread could do without the personal attacks, and by making claims about personal experience basically opens them up to nothing but personal attacks. So to be honest i think the thread is better off without them, (and krasher did post them, and from memory everybody who doesn't beleive what he experienced possible called BS, including myself.)

it's not relevant anyway. my understanding is these 'miraculous occurances' only happen to people who beleive in god. so you must already beleive in god for them to happen. Likewise when people beleived in witchcraft and somebodies leg grew 2 inchs and they stopped limping they were soon burnt at the stake for their obvious pact with the devil.
your beleifs shape your perspective.

Reply #3296 Posted: July 10, 2007, 09:58:51 pm

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.
Hey i posted some stories but you guys all skipped them.

THEY WERE AWESOME!

go backa few pages and you'll see mine Deathowl.  

One of these was when they stole copper from the unit upstairs.  THey stole sinks and showers too.  They had turned off teh water so when another tenant complained of having no water, a plumber came out and turned it back on.  So that night the water was running upstairs.  It found its way through the electrical conduit and the cracks in the concrete and started to fill our unit up with water.  On the easter Sunday i came in just to take in some gear people were returning.  And thats when i saw it.  I walked into the service dept and then SPLOOSH.   what the....  and then i turned on the lights.  Water was EVERYWHERE!  We had so many people come in to help move eveyrthing and dry the premisis.  Ended up calling some friends to help too.  A week later when we were assessing the damage.  THERE WAS NONE!   Things were a little dirty and needed drying out but there was no damage what so ever!

The chemdry and the insurance people were both suprised.  And so were we.  Well then it was all about THANKS GOD!! THANKS HEAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It could have potentially been THOUSANDS and thousands of dollars damage.  Not to mention possibly having to replace the amps and speakers people had given us to repair.

The buckets we had to keep emptying every 2-3 minutes

Water pouring down the side of the wall & on top of the drivers and cabinet hardware

Those white smudges/streaks in teh center of the image is water pouring down from above.  

sploosh.  All the repairs amps and dj lights were sitting on the ground here.  We've moved them here.  They were all in excellent condition even after getting wet.

All the vehicles here was to help clean up the shop.

As you can see.  Heaps of water. No damage.  And we didn't have to claim on insurance. The Landlord covered it!  Thanks again God!  You pwn!

Reply #3297 Posted: July 10, 2007, 10:32:28 pm
( •_•)>⌐

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;479838
You implied it right here:

i was just mentioning other groups that promote hatred, i wasn't ranking them - very different from saying that you are no better

Reply #3298 Posted: July 10, 2007, 10:50:18 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Who_ate_my_rice;479888
Hey i posted some stories but you guys all skipped them.

THEY WERE AWESOME!

go backa few pages and you'll see mine Deathowl.  

One of these was when they stole copper from the unit upstairs.  THey stole sinks and showers too.  They had turned off teh water so when another tenant complained of having no water, a plumber came out and turned it back on.  So that night the water was running upstairs.  It found its way through the electrical conduit and the cracks in the concrete and started to fill our unit up with water.  On the easter Sunday i came in just to take in some gear people were returning.  And thats when i saw it.  I walked into the service dept and then SPLOOSH.   what the....  and then i turned on the lights.  Water was EVERYWHERE!  We had so many people come in to help move eveyrthing and dry the premisis.  Ended up calling some friends to help too.  A week later when we were assessing the damage.  THERE WAS NONE!   Things were a little dirty and needed drying out but there was no damage what so ever!

The chemdry and the insurance people were both suprised.  And so were we.  Well then it was all about THANKS GOD!! THANKS HEAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It could have potentially been THOUSANDS and thousands of dollars damage.  Not to mention possibly having to replace the amps and speakers people had given us to repair.

As you can see.  Heaps of water. No damage.  And we didn't have to claim on insurance. The Landlord covered it!  Thanks again God!  You pwn!

someone get this guy a clue. its amazing how you think god saved you from "thousands" of dollars from water damage.

YET

millions of jews (gods chosen people) died in nazi concentration camps with no form of intervention at all.

either your that arrogant or a idiot

Reply #3299 Posted: July 10, 2007, 10:55:33 pm