Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Pic was the best I could find.

Genuine photos of legions are thin on the ground..

Why's this post here? Thought I'd posted in the wrong place for a moment.

Reply #375 Posted: April 12, 2006, 04:47:26 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Where's the thread he was meant to post in, I can't find it.

Reply #376 Posted: April 12, 2006, 04:56:21 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Space Monkey
Where's the thread he was meant to post in, I can't find it.

Ah.

It's in rejected issues.

He does that so you can't have the last word.

But I still can.

Templar.

Vos indulgeo sanctus Zarkov?

A contradictio nam?

Also, I have thought of another historical parallel.

I will post it later.

Reply #377 Posted: April 12, 2006, 05:00:51 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Zarkov
Ah.

It's in rejected issues.

He does that so you can't have the last word.

But I still can.

Templar.

Vos indulgeo sanctus Zarkov?

A contradictio nam?

Also, I have thought of another historical parallel.

I will post it later.

*pets the Z-cat*

What an intelligent pussy cat! Yes you are!

Reply #378 Posted: April 12, 2006, 05:02:54 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Jack_L

• Addicted
  • Jack_L has no influence.
yes. we need to maintain what ever momentum we can build

Reply #379 Posted: April 12, 2006, 05:03:50 pm
People who say that stats don\'t matter are 98% more likely to tell you that size isn\'t important.

Guess what...

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
  • laurasaur has no influence.
:bounce: Ha just as Im about to begin the Simpson's depiction of their version of creation is on. Frikin hilarious. Anyway here we go again.

Quote from: Black Heart
Because creationism isn't a theory, no aspect of it is testable. it relates directly to the bible, a document supposedly inerrant. changing the creationist perspective actually requires yet another reinterpretation of the bible, which is already so maligned because of the many changes made to its interpretation (due to being unable to change the bible itself, because of its inerrancy).

But it IS a theory, just as evolution is. But your right, its not testable, just as as evolution is not testable - before you answer this paragraph, read on.

Right, lets clarify some things.Fragin' made a point about nothing being provable. Although this is technically true (eg as Spacemonkey I think suggested, we can't prove we don't just live in a Matrix style computer program, and as I pointed out we can't prove that the dinner we're eating isn't disguised shit-it could just be an illusion), I think we kinda took a turn down the wrong path. Scientific principles of operational science have been confirmed by the principles of the scientific method. (It brings us back to "the most probable" part of my previous epistles). However, "Origins" science  is a different matter altogether. People state evolution=science, and creation=religion because they confuse operational ("man-to-the-moon") science with origin theory.

To clear up this confusion, lets first clarify what we all (should) know as commonly accepted scientific theory. George Gaylord Simpson (in Science 43:769, 1964) stated that "it is inherent in any definition of science that statements that cannot be checked by observation are not really about anything...or at the very least, they are not science". Again, the Oxford Dictionary's definition of science is "A branch of study which is concerned either with a connected body of demonstrated truths or with observed fact systematically classified and more less colligated by being brought under general laws...". I.e, for a theory to qualify as a scientific theory (let alone fact) it must be supported by events, processes, or properties which can be repeatedly observed, and the theory must be able to predict the outcome of future natural phenomena or laboratory experiments. Another limitation usually imposed on the definition of scientific theory is that the theory must be capable of falsification; i.e, it must be possible to concieve some experiment, the failure of which would disprove the theory.

It is by these processes that we land men on the moon, and cure disease etc. Unfortunately, neither the concept  of evolution or creation fall into the catergory of scientific theory, because we cannot observe the events, recreate the events, nor create an experiment that might disprove either theory. Before anyone ignorant enough out there to think that that evolution can fall under the catergory of scientific theory tries to reply, let me quote you Theodore Dobzhansky, a far more vehement defender of evolution than any of you: "These evolutionary happenings are unique, unrepeatable, and irreversable. It is as impossible to turn a land vertebrate into a fish as it is to effect the reverse transformation. The applicability of the experimental method to the study of such unique historical processes is severely restricted before all else by the time intervals involved" (American Scientist 45:388). He went further to categorically state that "evolution has not been witnessed by human observers". (So no evolving penguins, or foxes, as I stated previously).

And another even better quote, by L. Harrison Matthews, in his introduction to the 1971 publication of Darwins Origin of Species: "Belief in the theory of evolution is thus exactly parallel to belief in special creation-both are concepts which believers know to be true but neither, up to the present, has been capable of proof". Evolutionist N. Macbeth in American Biology Teacher (Nov 1976) p496 flatly stated that "Darwinism is not science". LC Birch and PR Ehrlich in Nature 214:349  state that the theory of evolution "is 'outside of empirical science' but not necessarily false. No one can think of ways to test it". This applies to the theory of special creation: outside of empirical science, but not necessarily false because it can't be tested.

So I'm afraid you got your sentence around the wrong way Blackheart: Because Evolution/Creation aren't testable, they aren't scientific theory. One more for good measure,  just to make it very clear: Evolution theorist C.Leon Harris stated that the neo-darwinsm is based on axioms (concepts that can be neither proved nor tested), and then said: "If the neo-Darwinian theory is axiomatic, it is not valid for creationists to demand proof of the axioms, and it is not valid for evolutionists to dismiss special creation as unproved, so long as it is stated as an axiom" (Perspectives in Biology and Medicine pg 183. ) Which is exactly what I've been saying all along.

Everyone got that clear now? Thank you.  :bounce:  

So we see, both ideas are merely just that: ideas. But proponents of both use the evidence available to us to back up their particular ideas.

Evolution conforms to the "rules" of naturalism, as I stated previously: that only natural forces can explain our origins. Creationism is no less scientific , or closeminded for believing that the evidence points to a supernatural "instigator", who created the scientific laws and processes to continue without supernatural involvement. In fact, evolutionists have criticised the common media for their treatment of evolution as fact. Two prominent scientists Erhlich and Holm (Science 137:655) wrote:"It has become fashionable to regard modern evolutionary theory as the only possible explanation of these patterns rather than just hte best explanation that has been developed so far...Perpetuation of today's theory as dogma will not encourage progress toward more satisfactory explanations of observed phenomena".

And to emphasize my point that the evolution theory arose during a time (including the present) which provides a strong bias towards a theory that excludes a supernatural: Kenneth Hsu, Journal of Sedimentary Petrology 56(5): 729-730 (1986) although not a creationist stated after reading Darwin's The Origin of Species  that "I agree...that Darwinism contains "wicked lies"; it is not a "natural law" formulated on the basis of factual evidence but a dogma, reflecting the dominating social philosophy of the last century".

I love the statements made by respected Swedish Biologist Soren Lovtrup, a totally committed evolutionist, who rejects the current neo-darwinian theory of evolution. In his book (The Refutation of a Myth (1987) he states: "...nobody will deny that it is a great misfortune if an entire branch of science becomes addicted to a false theory. But ths is what has happened in biology: for a long time now people discuss evolutionary problems in peculiar "Darwinian" vocabulary-"adaptation" " selection pressure" "natural selection" etc-thereby believing that they contribute to the explanation  of natural events. They do not [as I stated in previous posts] and the sooner that this is discovered, the sooner we shall be able to make real progress in our understanding of evolution. I believe that one day the Darwinian myth will be ranked the greatest deceit in the history of science".

As i have mentioned previously, creationists do not deny "survival of the fittest" or "natural selection", but merely (as Lovtrup states above) that evolution cannot be explained by these means - it requires much more.

Also at this stage I would like to point out that NEW microscopic forms of life are being discovered daily at an astounding rate, the idea that no new genetic code is developing can only be supported by a new earth beleiver. No one knows the timeline that this sort of process takes to occur it could well be 100,000's of years, we have only been able to identify genetic material like this for a decade or two.

New microscopic life forms being found prove what? No one is claiming that they have evolved recently. See above statements where evolutionists claim we will never see evolution at work due to the amount of time it needs. Therefore there is no evidence of genetic code being developed, we do not and will not see it happen, and the excuse (convenient is it not) is that it takes to long for us to witness it. But evolution hangs on this very thread! Time and time again defenders of evolution will not believe me that we have no examples of new genetic code developing, and are incredulised firstly when they cannot give me an example, and secondly, when they read the statements by various evolutionists that this is the case, and that we can't expect to find any. So you see, it is assumed that increase in genetic information is possible. What a huge assumption to make!

Reply #380 Posted: April 15, 2006, 01:06:41 am
:violin:

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
I don't have to disprove creation as a theory though, I can disprove its foundations.

Where is your examples of humans who are 850 years old?

I can go and get examples of how old the earth is. And its alot older than 4000 years.

Reply #381 Posted: April 15, 2006, 01:44:12 am

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
This follows on from my post just above, (before Simonz) do not read this until you have read my post just above.

explain to me how marine animals are affected by flood. Does this mean that as well as the obvious land based animals on Noahs ark, there were fish, and birds? (i have doubts that even a  super enhanced fully genetically enabled bird would remain in flight for 100 or so days of the flooding.)

Read the account. The water didn't come mainly from rain; no, assuming the account is true, most of the water originated from below the earths surface. The tremendous forces of the catastrophe would incur huge side effects: earthquakes, volcanoes, tremendous earth movements. Marine animals would have been buried instantly in the millions. Birds presumably (assuming the account is true) would have survived on the huge floating masses of debri. Read Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study  by J. Woodmorappe (Institute for Creation Research) for a scientific study on the feasibility of the whole event assuming it happened . And theres nothing wrong in making an assumption and then testing it to see if its feasible. This is how science is applied!

When did ice ages occur, ie how many years ago? (the geologic evidence of this is no less beleiveable than flooding.) And more improtantly why does the bible NOT mention them

I forgot to mention that the ice age would have been a direct side effect of the Noahic flood (assuming it happened) and the follow on. So the ice age happened, its just that Creationists believe that the evidence fits the idea that it happened 5000 years ago, for a much shorter amount of time. The Bible doesn't mention it because it isn't primarily a science text book! The geographic areas covered in its narative during the hypothesized time of the ice age wouldn't have been reached by ice. Although it is interesting to note that the various locations around Israel mentioned in the Genesis/Exodus accounts indicate that the areas were a lot more fertile and mild in climate than they are now, which we would expect, assuming that an ice age was happening or had recently happened.

Darwin doesn't count as a civilization. Actually most 'Great thinkers / scientists' had an eccentricity or two. Actually they wanted to try gallileo for saying the earth went around the sun, when the bible clearly stated the sun went around the earth (earth being the centre of everything). Flat earth Myth google it. Was invented int he 1700's from memory.

Presuming your account of history is correct, I don't see the point in following this line of attack! If someone believes the earth was the centre of the solar system, (which obviously I disagree with) but we both agree that there is a God and that the Bible is correct, writing my beliefs off purely because of what someone else incorrectly believed makes no sense! The Bible does not state that the earth is the centre of the solar system. The nearest to such a statement is in the Psalms (all in poetic form, mostly songs, for those who don't know) and in other songs of praise throughout the Bible, where phrases to the effect of the the sun rising in the east and setting in the west are used. But you'd have to be one eyed to call this an indication that the Bible is scientifically flawed, given that we use the same terms to this day, and that these are used in the context of poetry.

Shall we move on to the guy who got swallowed by a whale, lived in it and eventually came out to tell the story?

Actually there have been accounts of fishermen being swallowed whole by whaling sharks and surviving time inside before being rescued, but I can't find any references for that right now, so I won't state it as fact. Again, it cannot be ruled out as a possibility, especially if one takes into account that God may have chosen to intervene with an act of supernatural power (convenient I know, but there we are. Assuming the evidence points to God creating the world, it isn't then incomprehensible that he might use supernatural power every so often if he so desires).

Sure, I here you cry "ridiculous!" But thats because based on your belief that there is no such supernatural, which is in turn based on your belief in evolution, there is no room for such supernatural events. This leads to the circular reasoning of most evolutionists which lock them into their naturalistic world view: Special creation is ridiculous because it invokes the supernatural; we know there is no supernatural because evolution points to this fact; we know evolution must be true because the only other current alternative is the preposterous creation theory; and we know special creation is ridiculous because it invokes the supernatural! And (subconsciously) around and around it goes.

Related to this is the assumptions involved in pretty much all dating methods commonly used. For example, while there are very accurate methods available for determining the present ratios or uranium-lead, thorium-lead, potassium-argon, and other isotope ratios (no doubt also including the one mentioned in Simonz post above) in mineral bearing rocks, there is, of course, no direct method for estimating the initial ratios of these isotopes in the rocks when they were first formed. Scientists must resort to assumptions, which have no way of being verified. Needless to say, included in these assumptions is the "fact" that the earth has been around for billions of years. In addition, the assumption is made that the rate of change in these ratios has been at a constant, forever. But this is also a huge assumption; the newly formed rocks formed during the 80's from the Mt St Helens eruption in Washington were dated at many millions of years old using these same dating methods! (I can give more precise details once I get my hands on my reference).

Again, assuming the tectonic plates have been moving at a constant rate, of course 10,000 years is not long enough. But how can one dismiss the possibility of there having being a catastrophe which instigated a period of fast moving plates? Again, unverifiable assumptions arising from preconceived ideas play a major part. You cry "preconceived ideas!" regarding Creationism; well it should be very evident that it is also the case with evolution. I admit plate movement is not an area I've researched alot, and I know there various theories among creation scientists regarding the plate movements.

He he this is a long one!

Reply #382 Posted: April 15, 2006, 01:46:56 am

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
Quote from: Simon_NZ
I don't have to disprove creation as a theory though, I can disprove its foundations.

Where is your examples of humans who are 850 years old?

I can go and get examples of how old the earth is. And its alot older than 4000 years.

Heh I'm getting somewhere now I feel. Its somewhat satisfying to see people retreat from their initial accusations without trying to defend themselves, and instead moving on to some other accusation. This is precisely why my posts are getting longer. I can keep defending the different issues, while everyone else seems to leave their original accusations and come up with new ones.

There is no "proof" for 850 year old people. I clearly stated it is an assumption, which you cannot disprove, and which is based on the possibility of special creation being true. Just as evolutionists state that they don't have proof as to how the first life forms were formed, they assume it happened because they assume evolution is true.

See my last post regarding the assumptions that need to be made regarding dating methods.

Reply #383 Posted: April 15, 2006, 01:57:32 am

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
Im not going to bother anymore.

Anything that doesn't fit your view of events is simply a 'assumption' on behalf of science.

Oh here is your J. Woodmorappe guy. Sounds onto it.

Young-Earth creationist (YEC) John Woodmorappe (pseudonym) is infamous for scouring the scientific literature for information that he can exaggerate or misquote to defame radiometric dating.  However, even a superficial review of the literature that Woodmorappe (1979, 1999) misuses demonstrates that radiometric dating routinely produces powerfully reliable results (e.g., Tauxe et al., 1992; Baadsgaard et al.,1988;  Baadsgaard et al., 1993; Queen et al., 1996;  Montanari et al., 1985; Foster et al., 1989; Harland et al., 1990; Jacobs and Thomas, 1996; LoBello et al., 1987; Shirey, 1991;  Fleck et al., 1996, etc.).  Rather than admit the reality of these positive results, Woodmorappe (1979, 1999) consistently ignores or misrepresents them as he sieves through the literature looking for 'dirt' on geochronology.

Woodmorappe's critics (including: Dalrymple, 1984; Steve H. Schimmrich, and me) have repeatedly accused him of having unrealistic biases against radiometric dating, generating unrepresentative laundry lists of 'bad dates' from the literature, and having NOTHING good to say about radiometric methods.  But, why is this surprising?  If Woodmorappe even admits that one radiometric date in excess of 10,000 years is real, his archaic Bible interpretations are demolished.

Rather than admit his improper biases, Woodmorappe (1999, p. 1) complains that his critics tend to 'stereotype' his efforts by only referring to his laundry lists of bad dates (see Table 1 in Woodmorappe, 1979, for a prime example of a misleading laundry list). Woodmorappe (1999, p. 1) boasts that he has spent a 'fair amount of time' discussing good dates, concordance and reliability criteria in his writings.  However, slandering good dates and isochrons is NOT the same thing as objectively discussing the strengths and weaknesses of radiometric dating.  That is, maligning both good and bad radiometric dates is not an example of being 'fair, objective and balanced.'

I and others have thoroughly documented countless examples of Woodmorappe (1979, 1999) misquoting the literature, misunderstanding basic information on mineralogy and metamorphic and igneous petrology, and grossly misrepresenting other aspects of geology and geochronology (e.g., Dalrymple, 1984 and the above web links).  In comparison, the scientific literature (such as Dickin, 1995) is much more realistic and objective than Woodmorappe and other YECs.  Dickin (1995), for example, discusses the limitations, failures and problems associated with radiometric dating, as well as the useful and reliable results.

I bet I could disprove it. But even if I did you would simply say 'oh know you see god planned it like that' So its pointless.

Reply #384 Posted: April 15, 2006, 02:00:29 am

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
Im not going to bother anymore.

Anything that doesn't fit your view of events is simply a 'assumption' on behalf of science.

Oh here is your J. Woodmorappe guy. Sounds onto it.

I bet I could disprove it. But even if I did you would simply say 'oh know you see god planned it like that' So its pointless.

After bothering to read all my post (or did you?) is that all you can come up with?! You can't even agree with far more esteemed evolutionists than yourself that neither creation or evolution can be disproved. We are merely debating the evidence.

Its not "anything that doesn't fit my view" that amounts to assumption; an assumption is an assumption if its an assumption! And an assumption made by a majority doesn't make it any less of an assumption; since when has there been proof by numbers? There is comfort  by numbers, but no proof.

It's interesting that the only guy you pick on is Woodmorappe, the only creationist I refered to. Regardless, I wasn't refering to his radiometric work, I was talking about his work on the feasibility of the Noahic flood. In fact I have never read his work on radiometric dating.

In addition, to make an assumption of my own, I would put money on the fact that his critics' complaints about his work were more with the fact that he wasn't using their assumptions when it came to radiometric dating. Infact it was just that: they accused him of making "unrealistic biases"!! And their biases are more realistic?! Yeah right. It comes to the blessed circular reasoning again: .

Critics merely point out that the results of the dating methods require biased assumptions of some form. In saying that, I stress that I have not read his work, so I can't back him up in that respect. Anyway, as Mt St Helens, and other new volcanic rock show, assuming the rate of decay has been constant is a flawed assumption anyway.

Regardless, I reckon its pretty cool that I just basically blew your flawed assumptions out of the water using simple logic and references to evolutionary scientists. You have, in effect, gone from defending evolution to attacking creation, a major step in the right direction from my point of veiw.

Reply #385 Posted: April 15, 2006, 03:04:42 am

Offline Steady

• Addicted
  • Steady has no influence.
Creation= Faith in the unknown, Evolution= Faith in logic. I like logic.

Reply #386 Posted: April 15, 2006, 09:26:09 am
SOMETIMES I\'M NOT SERIOUS LOL

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
Quote from: laurasaur

It's interesting that the only guy you pick on is Woodmorappe, the only creationist I refered to. Regardless, I wasn't refering to his radiometric work, I was talking about his work on the feasibility of the Noahic flood. In fact I have never read his work on radiometric dating.

In addition, to make an assumption of my own, I would put money on the fact that his critics' complaints about his work were more with the fact that he wasn't using their assumptions when it came to radiometric dating. Infact it was just that: they accused him of making "unrealistic biases"!! And their biases are more realistic?! Yeah right. It comes to the blessed circular reasoning again: .

Alright, this guy doesnt even have a phd. That makes him real qualified. He habitually mis quotes or fails to understand even the most basic scientific principles and you take his study as fact as more liley than the Dr's who work @ harvard, yale, bell labs etc

Where is his work published? Time? Scientific America? New Scientist?

What bias? Scientific method isnt bias, it is based on observed, recoreded and the observed again methods.

Because you are unwilling to except any evidence as fact which contradicts your own view it is pointless.

It is agreed by most that Earth is 4.55 billion years old. Even if you account for a margin of error of 4billion years THEN EARTH IS STILL OLDER THAN what is described in genesis.

Reply #387 Posted: April 15, 2006, 09:55:28 am

Offline Steady

• Addicted
  • Steady has no influence.

Reply #388 Posted: April 15, 2006, 10:55:05 am
SOMETIMES I\'M NOT SERIOUS LOL

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Ok, no matter how you say it - Creationism is not a scientific theory. It could be thought of as a "theory" in the same way as if you said "i have a theory about who shot JFK" but it is not a scientific theory.

By an american law, a scientific theory must meet this criteria:
   1. It is guided by natural law;
2. It has to be explanatory by reference to natural law;
3. It is testable against the empirical world;
4. Its conclusions are tentative, i.e. are not necessarily the final word; and
5. It is falsifiable.

refer to items 4 and 5, a theory is tentative and it must be able to be proven false. Item 5 above  has been contested wrt the theory of evolution. We can discuss this if you wish.

Creationism, or rather literal Creationism (the christian belief that Genesis/etc is a literally  true guide to the creation of the universe) does not qualify as a scientific theory on any of the  above items. This is because it is essentially based on the belief system described in an ancient  document, the bible. It contains references to supernatural beings, and events. It makes claims which cannot be proven or disproven.

It is static, there is no chance to modify the core concepts as it was written by the information recieved from the creator itself and therefore revising it would falsify it's entire existance.

The claims of the creationist "theory" is not a explanation of the natural world - but rather a bending of the observable natural world to confirm with the so called "theory".

“For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were  moved by the Holy Ghost” (2 Peter 1:21).

“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for  correction, for instruction in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16).

How can it be a scientific theory if it is written by the creator? Is it falsifiable? Because if it was then wouldn't that mean that god was incorrect? I'm sure the entire fabric of the christian universe would collapse upon itself if god was proven to be anything but infallable.

"Creation Science" was banned from schools in america. Basically because it's foundation is from a christian religion and is therefore NOT scientific.

Also, note that for creationism to be correct, and the universe was created around 8000 years ago it would mean that our current view of physics is completely wrong. And that the light travelling from distant galaxies must indeed be capable of travelling greater than light here on earth.

Incredible.

And also, the sun which is thought to be third generation due to the percentages of heavy/light elements may in fact be a 1st generation. But hang on - all stars would be first generation. Hang on - that doesn't really fit in with the rest of science or cosmology. Maybe we should just say "fk you" to reasoning, logic, observation, and scientific investigation and start reading the bible. Because the bible will tell us how to put people on mars. Wont it? It's already proven that the last 200 years of scientific investigation is all bullshit.

I mean for christ sake. How does the moon fit in with creationism? Why does the moon have thousands of impact creators? Did these all appear in the last 8000 years? or did "god" make it like that to try and fool us into thinking it took place over millions of years? Good ole god - he's such a practical joker...

Reply #389 Posted: April 15, 2006, 01:18:13 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
Where is his work published? Time? Scientific America? New Scientist?.

Read my response, as I haven't read his work on radiometric dating, I'm not prepared to defend him at this point. And don't think he's the only guy picking fault with the biases behind the methods. Incidently, I don't expect to find any creationist material in the above puplications, as the editors already have a decidely evolutionary bias, at the exclusion of any other theory. As Kenneth Hsu and other evolutionists have pointed out, this is a very dangerously closeminded approach.

What bias? Scientific method isnt bias, it is based on observed, recoreded and the observed again methods.?.

Dude! Your inability to follow logical steps is amazing to say the least! How many times do I have to repeat it: I agree with the Scientific method. But if you understand how the dating methods work, you will see that they involve assumptions that cannot be verified.

OK, lets work through it again. There are very accurate methods available for determining the present ratios or uranium-lead, thorium-lead, potassium-argon, and other isotope ratios. These can be tested, because they are in the present, therefore we all agree with the measurements because it passes the "scientific method" test. However, here is where the dating methods fall outside this catergory: there is, of course, no direct method for estimating the initial ratios of these isotopes in the rocks when they were first formed.We also have to assume that the rates of decay have been at a constant, which again is a huge assumption! PhD scientists accept these assumptions based on the belief that evolution is a given, not because they can prove these assumptions. Is it just me, or does it seem like I'm repeating myself?

It is agreed by most that Earth is 4.55 billion years old. Even if you account for a margin of error of 4billion years THEN EARTH IS STILL OLDER THAN what is described in genesis

Again, let me repeat myself There is comfort in a majority, but no proof. And on the topic, do you want me to give you a list of PhD scientists, professors in well reknowned universtities, and publishers of articles in respected scientific journals, who denounce evolution as a farce, and even hold the view that special creation is better supported by the evidence? Trust me, its a long long impressive list. Sure, its still a minority, but as I said before, being a minority doesn't mean your wrong: ask any Green, Act, Maori, NZ First supporter.

And a significant number of these guys have turned to Christianity because of the evidence, rather than already being Christians.

If you really can't debate the refutations I put up, and can merely fall back on your assumptions, its honestly not worth wasting your time. To be honest, the only guy giving me any sort of run for my money is Dirtyape, who I'm about to address now. It just goes to show that most people who believe in Evolution do so because: a) the general idea seems pretty ok b) most people believe it c) you'd rather believe it than believe that there is a supernatural d) you haven't bothered to investigate the arguments against it.

Reply #390 Posted: April 15, 2006, 03:23:47 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
And a significant number of these guys have turned to Christianity because of the evidence, rather than already being Christians.

Proof please. I hope these guys aren't teaching in nz.

Reply #391 Posted: April 15, 2006, 03:31:17 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
I agree with the Scientific method.

How do you agree with the scientific method?

Creation scientists claim that Genesis is the word of God and thus infallibly true. They also claim that Genesis contradicts the Big Bang theory and the theory of evolution. Creation science is not science but pseudoscience. It is religious dogma masquerading as scientific theory.  Creation science is put forth as being absolutely certain and unchangeable. It assumes that the world must conform to its understanding of the Bible. Where creation science differs from creationism in general is in its notion that once it has interpreted the Bible to mean something, no evidence can be allowed to change that interpretation. Instead, the evidence must be refuted.

Creation scientists are not scientists because they assume that their interpretation of the Bible cannot be in error. They put forth their views as irrefutable. Hence, when the evidence contradicts their reading of the Bible, they assume that the evidence is false. The only scientific investigation they do is aimed at proving some evolutionary claim is false. Creation scientists see no need to test their theory, since God has revealed it. Infallible certainty is not the hallmark of science.  Scientific theories are fallible.  Claims of infallibility and the demand for absolute certainty characterize not science but pseudoscience.

Do you want me to give you a list of PhD scientists, professors in well reknowned universtities, and publishers of articles in respected scientific journals,

Yes.

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Thirty-eight Nobel Prize laureates asked state educators to reject proposed science standards that treat evolution as a seriously questionable theory, calling it instead the "indispensable'' foundation of biology.

The group, led by the writer Elie Wiesel, said it wanted to defend science and combat "efforts by the proponents of so-called intelligent design to politicize scientific inquiry.''

Besides Wiesel, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986, the letter writers include chemists, physicists and medical experts from Wiesel's New York-based Foundation for Humanity.

Read my response, as I haven't read his work on radiometric dating, I'm not prepared to defend him at this point. And don't think he's the only guy picking fault with the biases behind the methods. Incidently, I don't expect to find any creationist material in the above puplications, as the editors already have a decidely evolutionary bias, at the exclusion of any other theory. As Kenneth Hsu and other evolutionists have pointed out, this is a very dangerously closeminded approach.

Of course you dont. I wonder why?

Appeal from the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.

Disposition: 765 F.2d 1251, affirmed.

Syllabus: Louisiana's "Creationism Act" forbids the teaching of the theory of evolution in public elementary and secondary schools unless accompanied by instruction in the theory of "creation science." The Act does not require the teaching of either theory unless the other is taught. It defines the theories as "the scientific evidences for [creation or evolution] and inferences from those scientific evidences." Appellees, who include Louisiana parents, teachers, and religious leaders, challenged the Act's constitutionality in Federal District Court, seeking an injunction and declaratory relief. The District Court granted summary judgment to appellees, holding that the Act violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. The Court of Appeals affirmed.

Held:

1. The Act is facially invalid as violative of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, because it lacks a clear secular purpose. Pp. 585-594.

(a) The Act does not further its stated secular purpose of "protecting academic freedom." It does not enhance the freedom of teachers to teach what they choose and fails to further the goal of "teaching all of the evidence." Forbidding the teaching of evolution when creation science is not also taught undermines the provision of a comprehensive scientific education. Moreover, requiring the teaching of creation science with evolution does not give schoolteachers a flexibility that they did not already possess to supplant the present science curriculum with the presentation of theories, besides evolution, about the origin of life. Furthermore, the contention that the Act furthers a "basic concept of fairness" by requiring the teaching of all of the evidence on the subject is without merit. Indeed, the Act evinces a discriminatory preference for the teaching of creation science and against the teaching of evolution by requiring that curriculum guides be developed and resource services supplied for teaching creationism but not for teaching evolution, by limiting membership on the resource services panel to "creation scientists," and by forbidding school boards to discriminate against anyone who "chooses to be a creation-scientist" or to teach creation science, while failing to protect those who choose to teach other theories or who refuse to teach creation science. A law intended to maximize the comprehensiveness and effectiveness of science instruction would encourage the teaching of all scientific theories about human origins. Instead, this Act has the distinctly different purpose of discrediting evolution by counterbalancing its teaching at every turn with the teaching of creationism.

(b) The Act impermissibly endorses religion by advancing the religious belief that a supernatural being created humankind. The legislative history demonstrates that the term "creation science," as contemplated by the state legislature, embraces this religious teaching. The Act's primary purpose was to change the public school science curriculum to provide persuasive advantage to a particular religious doctrine that rejects the factual basis of evolution in its entirety. Thus, the Act is designed either to promote the theory of creation science that embodies a particular religious tenet or to prohibit the teaching of a scientific theory disfavored by certain religious sects. In either case, the Act violates the First Amendment. Pp. 589-594. 2. The District Court did not err in granting summary judgment upon a finding that appellants had failed to raise a genuine issue of material fact. Appellants relied on the "uncontroverted" affidavits of scientists, theologians, and an education administrator defining creation science as "origin through abrupt appearance in complex form" and alleging that such a viewpoint constitutes a true scientific theory. The District Court, in its discretion, properly concluded that the postenactment testimony of these experts concerning the possible technical meanings of the Act's terms would not illuminate the contemporaneous purpose of the state legislature when it passed the Act. None of the persons making the affidavits produced by appellants participated in or contributed to the enactment of the law.

Your 'theory' cant even stand in a Court of Law, and not one of the appellants even tried to defend it, oh of course they dont have to.

OK, lets work through it again. There are very accurate methods available for determining the present ratios or uranium-lead, thorium-lead, potassium-argon, and other isotope ratios. These can be tested, because they are in the present, therefore we all agree with the measurements because it passes the "scientific method" test. However, here is where the dating methods fall outside this catergory: there is, of course, no direct method for estimating the initial ratios of these isotopes in the rocks when they were first formed.We also have to assume that the rates of decay have been at a constant, which again is a huge assumption!

Lets touch base on radiometric dating again, or more specifically Isochron Dating.

The advantage of isochron dating as compared to simple radiometric dating techniques is that no assumptions about the initial amount of the daughter nuclide in the radioactive decay sequence are needed. Indeed the initial amount of the daughter product can be determined using isochron dating. This technique can be applied if the daughter element has at least one stable isotope other than the daughter isotope into which the parent nuclide decays.

All forms of isochron dating assume that the source of the rock or rocks contained unknown amounts of both radiogenic and non-radiogenic isotopes of the daughter element, along with some amount of the parent nuclide. Thus, at the moment of crystallization, the ratio of the concentration of the radiogenic isotope of the daughter element to that of the non-radiogenic isotope is some value independent of the concentration of the parent

Reply #392 Posted: April 15, 2006, 04:24:21 pm

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
Quote from: dirtyape
Ok, no matter how you say it - Creationism is not a scientific theory.

By an american law, a scientific theory must meet this criteria:
   1. It is guided by natural law;
2. It has to be explanatory by reference to natural law;
3. It is testable against the empirical world;
4. Its conclusions are tentative, i.e. are not necessarily the final word; and
5. It is falsifiable.

Dirtyape you do dissappoint me a little, as I have been at pains to say that Creationism does not fall into the catergory of scientific theory. I have repeatedly stated that neither theorys do. In addition, your five point definition include the 5 definitions of scientific theory, but with the added "rules" of naturalism. You incidently didn't provide a reference so I'm not sure where you got these rules, which are based on the humanistic bias that there is no god. Critique my references if you will, they make no reference to point 2. Also refer to my quotes above where wellknown defenders of evolution fail the evolutionary theory on point 5.

The problem with both theories is that theyre trying to "predict" in effect, the past, whereas scientific theories generally try to predict events in the present or future. What we should be more concerned with is with the methods used to interpret the evidence that both theories use.

Naturalism is not a tenet deducible by the experimental method, but a philosophical assumption from outside science. Here is a marvelous quote of admission by Richard Lewontin, a prominent evolutionary biologist,which proves my point: "We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfil many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concets that produce material explantions, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an abosolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door. ("Billions and Billions of Demons," New York Review (Jan 9, 1997, pg 31).

And the famous Stephen Jay Gould: Our ways of learning about the world are strongly influenced by the social preconceptions and biased modes of thinking that each scientist must apply to any problem. THe stereotype of a fully rational and objective "scientific method" with individual scientists as logical (and interchangeable) robots is a self-serving mythology." (Natural History, 103(2):14, 1994)

One more, from immunologist Dr Scott Todd at Kansas State University: "Even if all the data point to an intelligent designer, such an hypothesis is excluded from science because it is not naturalistic." (correspondence to Nature Sept 30, 1999). [Emphasis' added].

Creationism, or rather literal Creationism (the christian belief that Genesis/etc is a literally  true guide to the creation of the universe) does not qualify as a scientific theory on any of the  above items. This is because it is essentially based on the belief system described in an ancient  document, the bible. It contains references to supernatural beings, and events. It makes claims which cannot be proven or disproven.
Again, thats a given. If only evolutionists would be so honest to admit that their theory makes claims which cannot be proven or disproven. Hang on, they do! Read my previous posts.

It is static, there is no chance to modify the core concepts as it was written by the information recieved from the creator itself and therefore revising it would falsify it's entire existance.

The claims of the creationist "theory" is not a explanation of the natural world - but rather a bending of the observable natural world to confirm with the so called "theory".

Again, this is precisely what evolutionists do. No matter how many times they change their ideas as to how the different components of the theory works, the general belief remains as a given: man evolved from non life via some sort of "goo to you via the zoo" method. For an example, all the "scientific evidence and processes" promoted by Darwin as to how evolution works, are no longer used by current evolutionists. But the general idea he promoted, is inexpendable! In fact, evolutionists not only change, but completely disagree with each other on the subject of methods, (and by doing so completely refute each other) eg, punctuated equilibrium is vehemently supported by some, and proven ridiculous by others. But neither side will accept any other option other than that we all evolved, although they can't agree as to how. So both hypothesis' fall into the same boat; that is, the overall "concept" is fixed.

Just as a suggestion, if you are going to investigate the Bible, use a more modern version which doesn't incorporate old English. Even I find it hard to make heads or tails of 400 year old translations. I suggest the NIV, its straight forward and concise.

How can it be a scientific theory if it is written by the creator? Is it falsifiable? Because if it was then wouldn't that mean that god was incorrect? I'm sure the entire fabric of the christian universe would collapse upon itself if god was proven to be anything but infallable.
Have I ever stated otherwise? But actually, it is more falsifiable than the evolutionary idea. If I found an event in the Bible that contradicted scientific fact and the Bible attributed it to natural forces, then I would throw the book out as lies. But unbelievably, every event that happens which we know to be unexplainable scientifically, directly refers to God's hand involved.

"Creation Science" was banned from schools in america. Basically because it's foundation is from a christian religion and is therefore NOT scientific.

First sentence is correct. Second is incorrect, as I have explained previously. It should read: ... because it does not conform to the humanistic rules of Naturalism. As mentioned previously (I do have to repeat myself alot don't I) ruling out a supernatural just because we want to does not make a theory more scientific or more logical. It just makes the theory conform to humanistic rules, which in turn have arisen from the belief that evolution is correct, which in turn arose from the belief that their is no God which in turn... ah, does anyone spot the circular reasoning?!

Again, I refer you to the above references by G G Simpson et al, regarding what constitutes as scientific (as to your rules of Naturalism), and the quotes just above regarding evolutionists use of self serving naturalistic rules.

Also, note that for creationism to be correct, and the universe was created around 8000 years ago it would mean that our current view of physics is completely wrong. And that the light travelling from distant galaxies must indeed be capable of travelling greater than light here on earth.

At last a real issue, debating evidence. No, we do not throw physics out the window. We just have different theories to the various evolutionary ones, concerning distant light sources, light travel etc. This issue has proven tricky for both sides; I'll have to fork out some more references on this one, as I admit I can't remember just what the issues were/are off the top of my head.

And also, the sun which is thought to be third generation due to the percentages of heavy/light elements may in fact be a 1st generation. But hang on - all stars would be first generation. Hang on - that doesn't really fit in with the rest of science or cosmology. Maybe we should just say "fk you" to reasoning, logic, observation, and scientific investigation and start reading the bible. Because the bible will tell us how to put people on mars. Wont it? It's already proven that the last 200 years of scientific investigation is all bullshit.

Whoah dirtyape, I've already given you credit for not making assumptions like everyone else, so please don't prove me wrong in that regard. I presume by "the last 200 yeasr of scientific investigation" you mean the naturalistic interpretation of the evidence around us. This I think has been thoroughly dealt with. Would you like that long list of anti evolutionist scientists who have contributed hugely to the furtherment of operational science ? If people are keen for another long post from me, I will gladly put out a condensed list. On the topic of the space program, rocket science involves repeatable experiments in the observable present; evolution is a just so story to explain the unboservable past without divine direct intervention. Incidentally, Wernher von Braun, the leader of the Apollo progam, was a creationist!

I mean for christ sake. How does the moon fit in with creationism? Why does the moon have thousands of impact creators? Did these all appear in the last 8000 years? or did "god" make it like that to try and fool us into thinking it took place over millions of years? Good ole god - he's such a practical joker

How do you know the crators haven't been made in the last 8000 years? In fact, this is the first time I've heard it as an argument against creationist theory. I have never heard any reputable evolutionist use it. Regardless, my question stands; it is purely your a priori adherence to the "fact" that evolution happened that forces you to rule out this possibility as ridiculous.

Reply #393 Posted: April 15, 2006, 04:45:10 pm

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
Read my reply post to dirty ape, re scientific/experimental method. I don't know where you got the idea that creationists don't use it.

Fine I'll supply the list of scientists etc. And point out the ones that have turned there backs on evolution because of their investigation, rather than because they were already Christians.

You have an amazing way of ignoring my lines of logic Simon, and moving on to completely new issues. Read through you explanation of your new form of dating, and see whether or not it really passes the test of being able to be used without some form of bias.

And in response to your huge quote re court rulings again: A majority provides comfort in ones beliefs, not proof. To go back to the history lesson again, the fact that most people may or may not have believed the earth to be the centre of the solar system proved them nothing did it. Lets learn from their mistake.

I'd love to write more but Laur is getting increasingly pissed off with me (Im sure she's not the only one! :bounce: ), so till next time.

Reply #394 Posted: April 15, 2006, 04:53:32 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
JK, you should make your own account,

Reply #395 Posted: April 15, 2006, 05:05:04 pm

Offline Slapper

• Addicted
  • Slapper has no influence.
Quote from: Space Monkey
JK, you should make your own account,

I was just about to say that  :chuckle:

Reply #396 Posted: April 15, 2006, 05:06:12 pm
*GrrL Resurrection*

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted

You have an amazing way of ignoring my lines of logic Simon, and moving on to completely new issues. Read through you explanation of your new form of dating, and see whether or not it really passes the test of being able to be used without some form of bias.

Logic?

Actually there have been accounts of fishermen being swallowed whole by whaling sharks and surviving time inside before being rescued, but I can't find any references for that right now, so I won't state it as fact. Again, it cannot be ruled out as a possibility, especially if one takes into account that God may have chosen to intervene with an act of supernatural power (convenient I know, but there we are. Assuming the evidence points to God creating the world, it isn't then incomprehensible that he might use supernatural power every so often if he so desires).

My lines of logic?

So here we have a omnipotent god, which created us. Yet in this modern world were the planet is being destroyed, church attendance is at record lows and intolerance is rife God fails to save what he created? Yet he will allow a single fishermen to survive in a whale?

Im drifting I know but I just needed to check that.

And from what I have seen in your posts you haven't debunked any of our ideas.

By applying exactly what you do I can say YOU assume the bible to be true,when the massive majority of evidence disproves it.

Hell the mechanics of evolution might be wrong, it wouldnt be the first time science has been proved wrong. But whenever a scientific theory has been proved wrong it has been done so by emprical evidence of other scientists.

Rocks don't lie. I went to boarding school for seven years and was exposed to christian teachings everyday of my school life, before that I went to sunday school, yet I like the majority I turned away because it doesn't stack up. And its hardly a comfort either, your promised a heaven and eternal life when you die. Im gona be eaten by worms.

Anyway im going to Hogwarts now I heard they have some grovy supernatural shit going down.

Reply #397 Posted: April 15, 2006, 05:22:20 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Have I ever stated otherwise? But actually, it is more falsifiable than the evolutionary idea. If I found an event in the Bible that contradicted scientific fact and the Bible attributed it to natural forces, then I would throw the book out as lies. But unbelievably, every event that happens which we know to be unexplainable scientifically, directly refers to God's hand involved.

Light travels at 299,792,458 m/s.

How then has the light from galaxies which are 13 billion light years away reached us if the universe was created under 10,000 years ago?

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/record_furthest_galaxy_broken.html

I suppose the scientists that measured it's distance must have made an error?

And as for making assumptions, you will find that it is an inevitability to make assumptions when describing the universe. The bible itself is based upon the assumption that it is in fact the word of god and not some fairy tale written a long time ago by 12 drunk shepards. Given that you cannot ever prove that it is the word of god - I would say your entire arguement is assumption.

Faith in the bible is the mother of all assumptions.

Reply #398 Posted: April 15, 2006, 05:49:18 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: dirtyape
Faith in the bible is the mother of all assumptions.

I would use a slightly different phrasing, but once again, Dirty Ape proves that we may very well have evolved from him.

And yes. Make an account so I can ignore it and actually read what Laura writes. She's not nearly as irritating.

Reply #399 Posted: April 15, 2006, 06:20:35 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.