Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: cobra;576565

If there was some scientific proof for god, im there, the trouble i have with the concept of god is that god hasn't had an impact on the earth since we started recording and analysing things, what happen to that flamboyant god that was always doing magic tricks

camera shy

Reply #3750 Posted: October 25, 2007, 07:32:38 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: detonator7;576289
true but to have a proper judgement you have to know what its about, what they believe and i dont think anybody here who doesnt believe in a god has gone indepth into finding one or atleast try to understand that some people just want to believe in a god.

So true, so very true.

Ok, so I've spent the last year being banned from religious forums, and no not for being abusive rude obnoxious. Just for asking questions. For stating facts.

You say to have proper judgement on something you have to know about it. Obviously true. Why then do Christens not want to know about the history of their religion?

Why then do Christens not learn this before having a religion rammed down their throat?

Reply #3751 Posted: October 25, 2007, 09:14:42 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
Quote from: detonator7;576289
If science keeps changing then how do we know that science about god or how the universe was created wont change in the future, changing everything you believed in. would you still believe that we came from mokeys, or start to believe the new science - monkeys come from us.

Tell you what keeps changing - the Christian idea that the Earth is the centre of the universe. Throughout history there has been a steady erosion of the idea that the Earth holds a special place in the universe. Most notable of course the case of Galileo who was persecuted for saying the Earth went round the Sun (Christians believed that the Sun went round the Earth). His book was banned along with any future books he might write and he was imprisoned and forced to retract.

Detonator do you believe the Sun goes round the Earth? The bible says it does.

It took the Catholic church until 1992 to apologise for that little mistake. The anniversary is coming up - 31 oct. You can celebrate the anniversary of the Catholic church "expressing regret" over that affair.

Detonator can you admit that it has been science that has completely destroyed and exposed as a fraud the idea that the Sun goes round the Earth?

Reply #3752 Posted: October 25, 2007, 10:41:34 am
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Fragin';576735
Tell you what keeps changing - the Christian idea that the Earth is the centre of the universe. Throughout history there has been a steady erosion of the idea that the Earth holds a special place in the universe. Most notable of course the case of Galileo who was persecuted for saying the Earth went round the Sun (Christians believed that the Sun went round the Earth). His book was banned along with any future books he might write and he was imprisoned and forced to retract.

Detonator do you believe the Sun goes round the Earth? The bible says it does.

It took the Catholic church until 1992 to apologise for that little mistake. The anniversary is coming up - 31 oct. You can celebrate the anniversary of the Catholic church "expressing regret" over that affair.

Detonator can you admit that it has been science that has completely destroyed and exposed as a fraud the idea that the Sun goes round the Earth?

Sorry Fragin, call me slow, but where does the Bible say that again?

More to the point, have you ever read a bible? Or even a single verse that would support this? If you do some reading on the topic, which I quickly just did, you'll see that the whole "sun orbits earth" thing was actually a teaching of Catholicism with no real biblical foundation (other than a mis-understanding of a verse or 2). This is in no way a Christian idea; just a pathetic Catholic idea. Get your facts straight before blaming the bible (or God) for the mistakes of man.

I thought we were passed all this petty "bible says so" bullsh!t mate :disappoin

Edit: And for the record, changing an opinion on the sun orbiting the earth once or twice in the recorded history of man hardly constitutes the description of "keeps changing".

Reply #3753 Posted: October 25, 2007, 11:19:49 am

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;576762
Sorry Fragin, call me slow, but where does the Bible say that again?

More to the point, have you ever read a bible? Or even a single verse that would support this? If you do some reading on the topic, which I quickly just did, you'll see that the whole "sun orbits earth" thing was actually a teaching of Catholicism with no real biblical foundation (other than a mis-understanding of a verse or 2). This is in no way a Christian idea; just a pathetic Catholic idea. Get your facts straight before blaming the bible (or God) for the mistakes of man.

I thought we were passed all this petty "bible says so" bullsh!t mate :disappoin

Edit: And for the record, changing an opinion on the sun orbiting the earth once or twice in the recorded history of man hardly constitutes the description of "keeps changing".

Psalm 93:1, Psalm 96:10, and 1 Chronicles 16:30 state that "the world is firmly established, it cannot be moved." Psalm 104:5 says, "the Lord set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved." Ecclesiastes 1:5 states that "the sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises."

Maybe you should just assume that i can back up what i say in future instead of making yourself look stupid.

Reply #3754 Posted: October 25, 2007, 11:27:25 am
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Offline Fitz

• I Posted!
  • Fitz has no influence.
The universe was created somehow, one of the terms used to describe our complete lack of undersrtanding about how and why we exist is God.
Neither science or religion can explain how something can be made from nothing, i.e if God made the universe; who made god. Where did the energy come from that created the big bang, how was the vessel that contained the energy formed etc etc.

If/when we ever find out how you can make something from literally nothing we will have the answer.

Great debate but totally mindfucking as neither side has fuck all answers to the big questions we really want the answers to.

Reply #3755 Posted: October 25, 2007, 11:48:25 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Fragin';576771
Psalm 93:1, Psalm 96:10, and 1 Chronicles 16:30 state that "the world is firmly established, it cannot be moved." Psalm 104:5 says, "the Lord set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved." Ecclesiastes 1:5 states that "the sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises."

Maybe you should just assume that i can back up what i say in future instead of making yourself look stupid.

Maybe you shouldn't put scientific weight to 3 random poetic statements. I mean, you do know that Psalms is a book of poetry, don't you? And that Ecclesiastes is a figurative book of a man exploring his own frustration at being unable to deny the existence of God?

So, again I ask, where does it say that the sun orbits the earth?

(and I don't think I look stupid; I think you do)

Reply #3756 Posted: October 25, 2007, 11:56:07 am

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;576798
I mean, you do know that Psalms is a book of poetry, don't you?

As opposed to what? Scientific text book? We are talking about the bible here.

You are choosing to simply ignore the things that you don't agree with. Don't worry, it's normal.

I think people's understanding of the Earth and how that idea has changed over the the course of history makes all of religion look stupid, and by association, those who practise it. Please explain how an idea that has been so completely and utterly exposed as false continues to be believed by people who believe in God? (Modern Geocentrism)

Reply #3757 Posted: October 25, 2007, 12:30:59 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: Fitz;576791
The universe was created somehow, one of the terms used to describe our complete lack of undersrtanding about how and why we exist is God.
Neither science or religion can explain how something can be made from nothing, i.e if God made the universe; who made god. Where did the energy come from that created the big bang, how was the vessel that contained the energy formed etc etc.

If/when we ever find out how you can make something from literally nothing we will have the answer.

Great debate but totally mindfucking as neither side has fuck all answers to the big questions we really want the answers to.

I agree. I choose Christianity out of faith. I believe science also requires faith.

Quote from: Fragin';576811

You are choosing to simply ignore the things that you don't agree with. Don't worry, it's normal.

I think people's understanding of the Earth and how that idea has changed over the the course of history makes all of religion look stupid, and by association, those who practise it. Please explain how an idea that has been so completely and utterly exposed as false continues to be believed by people who believe in God? (Modern Geocentrism)

Bible = Library. Do I go quoting poetry books from a library and call it science? You know nothing of the Bible so don't bother quoting it unless you learn how to read it. It is not a normal book. It is letters, poetry....what am I doing. I have said this already. Go read what I have said earlier. I am going to stop reading this again I think.

It's all urs flea.

Reply #3758 Posted: October 25, 2007, 12:47:59 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: krasher;576819
I believe science also requires faith.

you would be wrong - gravity doesn't care if you believe in it or not - you are still going to fall

Reply #3759 Posted: October 25, 2007, 12:54:21 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Fragin';576771

technically speaking the earth/world is fixed - its in a fixed orbit - so it all depends on your interptation of the english language

Reply #3760 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:00:07 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Bible = Library. Do I go quoting poetry books from a library and call it science? You know nothing of the Bible so don't bother quoting it unless you learn how to read it. It is not a normal book. It is letters, poetry....what am I doing. I have said this already. Go read what I have said earlier. I am going to stop reading this again I think.

It's all urs flea.

Note that the quote from Psalm is used on the front page of the "The Fair Education Foundation, Inc." "since 1973". http://www.fixedearth.com/ Used as evidence (in their minds) for a Geocentric universe.

Reply #3761 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:01:42 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: private_hell;576830
technically speaking the earth/world is fixed - its in a fixed orbit - so it all depends on your interptation of the english language

Sure about that?

Reply #3762 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:02:15 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.

...shit, wrong thread. :rolleyes:

Reply #3763 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:02:28 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: Zarathrustra;576836

...shit, whrong thread. :rolleyes:

No way. This discussion about geocentricism is about as on topic as it gets. Some might regard this as the biggest fight between science and religion ever. Who do you think's winning?

Reply #3764 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:07:41 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Fragin';576811

Quote from: krasher;576819

I'm not choosing to ignore anything.

Krasher made my point better than I did - would I quote Yeats or Shakespeare and claim that it was proof of a widely held scientific belief? No, I would be laughed out of this forum. The Bible is a collection of books, the same way that a library is a collection of books. For example, 1 and 2 Kings are like history books, Proverbs is a book of shared wisdom, Psalms is a book of poetry, Ecclesiastes is more like a novel than any other book in the bible, most of the New Testament is letters to people ...

Frankly, I am happy to concede that certain religious groups interpreted those verses as being proof of geocentrism (wrongly interpreted), however to try and summarise all Christians as believing in geocentrism is simply wrong. I take exception to the fact that you would stereotype all people who believe in God or believe in the Bible as ALSO believing the earth is the centre of the universe. I personally don't know ANYONE who believes that. I certainly don't believe something which can so obviously be refuted using a little commonsense and a telescope.

As I say, a couple of poetic verses that were used wrongly back in the day doesn't make a generalisation about all Christians correct. You are wrong for perpetuating that it would.

Besides, everyone knows I'm the centre of the universe ;)

Reply #3765 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:09:23 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Fragin';576832
Note that the quote from Psalm is used on the front page of the "The Fair Education Foundation, Inc." "since 1973". http://www.fixedearth.com/ Used as evidence (in their minds) for a Geocentric universe.

See above.

I'm not saying NO-ONE believes the earth is at the centre, just that its such a minority that its unfair to say all Christians believe it. Its almost such a minority of all people as to be irrelevent to this discussion. I take exception to your stereotyping, not your question.

Reply #3766 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:11:37 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: Fragin';576840
No way. This discussion about geocentricism is about as on topic as it gets. Some might regard this as the biggest fight between science and religion ever. Who do you think's winning?

I agree, and IMO "Common sense -1, God -nil".

I was just pointing out the futileness of the whole S vs. R argument, by comparing it to another thread. ;)

Reply #3767 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:12:05 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Bible Contradictions

"For I am merciful, saith the Lord, and I will not keep anger forever." (Jeremiah 3:12)
"Ye have kindled a fire in mine anger, which shall burn forever." (Jeremiah 17:4)

And Jesus said, "For judgement I am come into this world." (John 9:39)
"I came not to judge the world" (John 12:47)

"Jacob said, 'I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.'" (Genesis 32:30)
"No man hath seen God at any time." (John 1:18)

"But anyone who says 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Jesus) Mat 5:22

"You fools!" (Jesus) Luke 11:40
"You blind fools!" (Jesus) Mat 23:17
"How foolish you are" (Jesus) Luke 24:25

"But God said to him, 'You fool!' " (Jesus) Luke 12:20

"You foolish Galatians!" (St. Paul) Galatians 3:1
"You foolish man" James 2:20

"I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children." (Leviticus 26:22)

"Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourself every girl who has never slept with a man." (Numbers 31:17-18)

"The Lord commands: "... slay old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women" (Ezechial 9:4-6)

"... Go and smite the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead with the edge of the sword and; also the women and little ones.... every male and every woman that has lain with a male you shall utterly destroy." (Judges 21:10-12)

want more?

Reply #3768 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:18:15 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: cobra;576825
you would be wrong - gravity doesn't care if you believe in it or not - you are still going to fall

There are still at least two scientific theories on gravity btw. There are many interpretations of our phisical world. There are also many interpretations of our emotional selves and spiritual selves. I don't think ANYONE has the whole/correct picture yet.
But...back on topic.... Christianity is better. So there. :P

Reply #3769 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:21:27 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Funny stuff KiLL3r.

Although 'words' do get a bit mixed up and lost in translation, especially when most of it's metaphorical imagery.

Reply #3770 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:22:24 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Zarathrustra;576855
Funny stuff KiLL3r.

Although 'words' do get a bit mixed up and lost in translation, especially when most of it's metaphorical imagery.

... and especially when all of it is taken out of context.

This discussion has continually failed because it was never treated as a 'Religion vs Science' thread; its always been treated as either an 'All vs Bible', 'All vs God' or 'All vs Christians' thread. GG everyone!

:disappoin

Reply #3771 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:28:36 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: krasher;576854
There are still at least two scientific theories on gravity btw. There are many interpretations of our phisical world. There are also many interpretations of our emotional selves and spiritual selves. I don't think ANYONE has the whole/correct picture yet.
But...back on topic.... Christianity is better. So there. :P

um......... F = G((M*m)/(r^2)) - i would be surprised if you could find any scientific papers that contradict this, there will be refinements and adjustments, but this still stands

Reply #3772 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:30:27 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;576798
Maybe you shouldn't put scientific weight to 3 random poetic statements. I mean, you do know that Psalms is a book of poetry, don't you? And that Ecclesiastes is a figurative book of a man exploring his own frustration at being unable to deny the existence of God?

So, again I ask, where does it say that the sun orbits the earth?

(and I don't think I look stupid; I think you do)

So now you practice selective theology? Is it no longer holy? No longer "the word of god"?

I can't believe you still defend the bible. The bible is an astrotheological literary hybrid.

Jesus is the most recent in a long line of solar messiahs representing the current age, the age of Pieces. These are mythical figures.

Born on 25th Dec to a Virgin
Birth foretold by a star in the east
Adorned by three Kings
Teacher by 12
Baptised/Ministry by 30
12 Disciples
Performed miracles
Was known as the "lamb of god", and "light of the world"
Was crucified
Dead for three days
Resurrected

Sound like Jesus? This is actually the Egyptian Sun God, Horus (c. 3000BC). And these are not unique similarities. Attis (c. 1500BC), Dionysis (c. 500 BC), Krishna (c. 900BC), Mithra (c. 1200 BC), are just some that share some or all of these features with Jesus.

The most interesting are these:
Born on Dec 25
To a Virgin
Star in the east
Adorned by three Kings
Crucified
Dead three day
Resurrected

These are all astrological in origin.

December 25. The Winter Solstice for the northern hemisphere.

The Star is Sirius, which on Dec 24, aligns with the three stars in Orion's belt. The three stars are called now what they have always been called, the three kings. On the night of Dec 24, Sirius and the three kings point to the place where the sun rises on Dec 25.

The Virgin is actually Virgo the Virgin, the astrological sign and constellation. Virgo is also known the "House of Bread", and is depicted anthropomorphically as a Woman carrying a sheath of wheat.

(nb. Bethlehem literally translates to "House of Bread". It is a reference to a place in the sky, not on Earth.)

(nb. the symbol for Virgo is an adapted letter M, Mothers of solar Messiah's - Myrra, Mary, Maya)

On the Summer Solstice the sun is at it's highest, and as winter sets in the sun gets gradually lower as winter sets in. On Dec 22 the sun reached the lowest point in the Sky, there it stays for 3 days. On Dec 25th the sun rises by 1 degree. During this period the sun resides in the vicinity of the Southern Cross, or Crux.

So, on Dec 22 the sun died on the cross, lay for dead for 3 days, and was reborn in the house of bread (Bethleham) to a Virgin, and this was all pointed out by three kings who followed a bright star in the east.

This is all from a doco I mention earlier, brutally plagiarised, for your reading pleasure.

Knowledge is power, why Christians want to remain ignorant escapes me. Ignorance is easy to control.

Reply #3773 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:31:40 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline DDM

• Addicted
  • DDM has no influence.
Many things can alter the orbit of our planet...

Reply #3774 Posted: October 25, 2007, 01:31:40 pm