Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline winfieldsaregoo

• Devoted Member
  • winfieldsaregoo has no influence.
to be honest let the fools/sheep beleave what thay whant as we will all find out religon is load of rubbish when we are all worm food

Reply #3875 Posted: November 03, 2007, 01:58:32 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Reply #3876 Posted: November 11, 2007, 02:34:51 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/11/14/scisurf114.xml

while i gather my freshly exploded brain all over the monitor screen, could someone translate this into like a single simple paragraph if possible.

geez what a mess

Reply #3877 Posted: November 17, 2007, 04:08:34 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
  • nzjeebs has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;582646
In general though, Christians use this logic as some kind of proof that science says God exists.

If god gave me logic, then i intend to use it and my logic points to him not existing, so who am i to doubt his divine power? :D

I love the whole idea of Christianity too, basically your going to burn in hell for eternity if you doubt gods unending love...does that sound fucked up to anyone else here?

Reply #3878 Posted: November 17, 2007, 04:33:45 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
Quote from: 'frog.;595138
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/11/14/scisurf114.xml

while i gather my freshly exploded brain all over the monitor screen, could someone translate this into like a single simple paragraph if possible.

geez what a mess

Go the surfer dude!

Reply #3879 Posted: November 17, 2007, 04:43:34 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: NZJeebs;601445
EDIT EDIT: YAY! Most replys in the Off Topic section :P

noob

Reply #3880 Posted: November 26, 2007, 07:48:04 pm
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
hey im getting sick of this shit. i just finished watching a doco on tele about jesus blah blah. what i dont understand is why these theologians and so called egyptologists do not make the connection between the hyksos and the israelites. something that needs attention.

who funds this shit?  tell me.

Reply #3881 Posted: November 27, 2007, 06:49:15 am
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: 'frog.;595138

geez what a mess

Quote from: That Article
The new theory reported today in New Scientist...

There is the problem. Put your brain back in place and be happy

New Scientist is the Wikipedia of the magazine world

Reply #3882 Posted: November 28, 2007, 01:33:29 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10480437

He said: "I don't necessarily believe in organised religion.

"I love my God, my higher power, but it is mine and mine alone, and I create my connection, and I decide how my connection is going to be. I believe that my connection to my higher power is separate from everybody's.

"I don't believe Muslims have all the answers and all the beliefs. I don't believe Christians have all the answers and beliefs, or that Jews have all the answers."

Despite his scepticism, Will - whose wife Jada is still believed to be an active member of the Church of Scientology - insists everybody has the right to believe whatever they want.

"You have people who are attacking and want to fight that don't know nothing - how you going to not know nothing about Scientology and attack somebody? It's dangerous and it's ignorant.

"How can I condemn someone for what they believe and I believe that God was born from a pregnant virgin?"

Reply #3883 Posted: December 05, 2007, 11:19:09 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;582683
Yeah, both atheists and theists incorrectly use that logic to justify their assertions.

The atheistic straw man arguments such as the invisible teapot, pink unicorns, and the tooth fairy are intellectually dishonest. For one there is no evidence for or against the existence of such entities so they are purely fictional.

Actually those 'straw man' arguments you point arent arent arguments at all, they are extensions of argument. By applying the exact same logic that theists use to justify their beliefs, anything and everything can be postulated if there is no evidence to the contrary
Quote from: dirtyape;582683
God on the other hand, is defined as being the creator of the universe. Thus the reason for considering God's possible existence is the fact that the universe itself exists.

...except this adds the unnecessary step of having an infinitely perfect/powerful being who sprang up from NOTHING to create everything.

If you apply Ockhams razor to the argument:

1. The universe sprang into existence by itself
2. God made the universe, but nothing created God

Therefore:

1. The universe sprang into existence by itself

God springing into existence by itself has no effect because it adds an unnecessary step.

Reply #3884 Posted: December 05, 2007, 01:39:47 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
A breath of fresh air from another forum (note the last line) ...

"Science is the use of methodical observation and testing to come to supportable, reproducible conclusions and theories. Creationism is the deliberate manipulation, skewing and misinterpretation of observed data to support preconceived ignorant notions which are derived from superstitious literal readings of religious texts which are, almost painfully obviously, metaphorical in nature.

No strict creationist has ever once been able to provide an even vaguely scientific reason why rubidium-strontium dating, uranium-lead dating, fission track dating, and potassium-argon dating all give dates for the age of the earth which are over 4 billion years old. Nor have they ever given a reasonable explanation for the stratigraphic succession of different fossils or the traceable ancestries of nearly all modern organisms. Philosophically speaking, evolution has not been proven as fact (nothing in the past really can be), but there is no alternative theory which could explain biological diversity, geographic correlation of species trees, stratigraphic succession, and the correlation of morphological similarities with genetic similarities. Young-Earth creationism is pure and complete bunk, and does a disservice to both science and religion.

And this is coming from a devout Christian. "

Reply #3885 Posted: December 05, 2007, 01:58:58 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
There is a link to page 129 but it does not exist. Well it appears to exist but in reality there is none.

Where is your science now? What theory do you have that explains this unexplainable? If you have no explanation then it must be God - that's how this works isn't it? It is His thread now and he is claiming it back one page at a time.

Reply #3886 Posted: December 05, 2007, 02:34:48 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: krasher;606988
There is a link to page 129 but it does not exist. Well it appears to exist but in reality there is none.

Where is your science now? What theory do you have that explains this unexplainable? If you have no explanation then it must be God - that's how this works isn't it? It is His thread now and he is claiming it back one page at a time.

Yawn. This has been happening for pages now. I believe it's because a mod has made some posts invisible instead of deleting them, though probably only Temp or maybe Z-cat would know.

In other news, you need some trolling lessons.

Reply #3887 Posted: December 05, 2007, 02:59:12 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
God gets another one, warns - do not diss me.
A spot of fishing on a summer's evening has ended in tragedy when a French tourist was killed by lightning on the NSW Central Coast.
Terrible really, but what are the chances?

Reply #3888 Posted: December 05, 2007, 03:29:51 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline krasher

• Addicted
Quote from: Arnifix;607001
Yawn. This has been happening for pages now. I believe it's because a mod has made some posts invisible instead of deleting them, though probably only Temp or maybe Z-cat would know.

I know, thanks for being patient with me. This is the place to learn though.

Reply #3889 Posted: December 05, 2007, 11:08:17 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline krasher

• Addicted
Quote from: Arnifix;607001

Yes, yes I do.

Reply #3890 Posted: December 05, 2007, 11:09:23 pm
=]IRBS[=

Offline Tiwaking!

Two words:

"Roman Arch"

Look it up

Reply #3891 Posted: December 06, 2007, 12:36:40 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
this thread is broken....seems to think im on page 128 of 129...yet when i click on 129 i just goto 128....devine intervention?

Reply #3892 Posted: December 06, 2007, 03:46:17 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;607776
this thread is broken....seems to think im on page 128 of 129...yet when i click on 129 i just goto 128....devine intervention?

your eyes are broken. read the six posts above yours.

Reply #3893 Posted: December 06, 2007, 03:57:20 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.

one of the most convincing arguments for god yet

Reply #3894 Posted: December 06, 2007, 07:22:57 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
In other news...

"Hindu gods get summons from court"

"A judge in India has summoned two Hindu gods, Ram and Hanuman, to help resolve a property dispute."

"Judge Sunil Kumar Singh in the eastern state of Jharkhand has issued adverts in newspapers asking the gods to "appear before the court personally". "

"The gods have been asked to appear before the court on Tuesday, after the judge said that letters addressed to them had gone unanswered. " [*Fragin keeps straight face*]

"The deities of Ram and Hanuman, the monkey god, are worshipped at the two temples on the land."

" "You failed to appear in court despite notices sent by a peon and later through registered post. You are herby directed to appear before the court personally", Judge Singh's notice said. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7132124.stm

I reckon they'd better turn up or they're gonna be in BIG trouble. :eek:

Reply #3895 Posted: December 08, 2007, 12:23:46 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Fragin';608980
"Hindu gods get summons from court"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepal_Airlines
Quote from: Wikipedia
2007 Goat Sacrifice

On 2 September 2007 the airline confirmed that they had sacrificed two goats as an offering to Akash Bhairab, the Hindu God of the sky, whose image is featured on their aircraft. The sacrifice followed technical problems to one of the Boeing 757 aircraft in the fleet, and took place on the runway in front of the affected aircraft. The 757 later flew from Kathmandu to Hong Kong without problems

Reply #3896 Posted: December 08, 2007, 12:14:43 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted

Reply #3897 Posted: December 08, 2007, 02:18:11 pm

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.
God vs Science

'Let me explain the problem science has with religion.' The atheist professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new students to stand.
'You're a Christian, aren't you, son?'
'Yes sir,' the student says.
'So you believe in God?'
'Absolutely.'
'Is God good?'
'Sure! God's good.'
'Is God all-powerful? Can God do anything?'
'Yes.'
'Are you good or evil?'
'The Bible says I'm evil.'
The professor grins knowingly. 'Aha! The Bible!' He considers for a moment.
'Here's one for you. Let's say there's a sick person over here and  you can cure him. You can do it. Would you help him? Would you try?'
'Yes sir, I would.'
'So you're good...!'
'I wouldn't say that.'
'But why not say that? You'd help a sick and maimed person if you could. Most of us would if we could. But God doesn't.'
The student does not answer, so the professor continues. 'He doesn't, does he? My brother was a Christian who died of cancer, even though he  prayed to Jesus to heal him. How is this Jesus good? Hmmm? Can you answer that one?'
The student remains silent.
'No, you can't, can you?' the professor says. He takes a sip of water from a glass on his desk to give the student time to relax.
'Let's start again, young fella. Is God good?'
'Er...yes,' the student says.
'Is Satan good?'
The student doesn't hesitate on this one. 'No.'
'Then where does Satan come from?'
The student falters. 'From God'
'That's right. God made Satan, didn't he? Tell me, son. Is there evil in this world?'
'Yes, sir.'
'Evil's everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything, correct?'
'Yes.'
'So who created evil?' The professor continued, 'If God created everything, then God created evil, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then God is evil.'
Again, the student has no answer. 'Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred?
Ugliness? All these terrible things, do they exist in this world?'
The student squirms on his feet. 'Yes.'
'So who created them?'
The student does not answer again, so the professor repeats his question.
'Who created them?' There is still no answer. Suddenly the lecturer breaks away to pace in front of the classroom. The class is mesmerized.  
'Tell me,' he continues onto another student. 'Do you believe in Jesus Christ, son?'
The student's voice betrays him and cracks. 'Yes, professor, I do.'
The old man stops pacing. 'Science says you have five senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Have you ever seen Jesus?'
'No sir. I've never seen Him.'
'Then tell us if you've ever heard your Jesus?'
'No, sir, I have not.'
'Have you ever felt your Jesus, tasted your Jesus or smelt your  Jesus?
Have you ever had any sensory perception of Jesus Christ, or God for that matter?'
'No, sir, I'm afraid I haven't.'
'Yet you still believe in him?'
'Yes.'
'According to the rules of empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your God doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?'
'Nothing,' the student replies. 'I only have my faith.'
'Yes, faith,' the professor repeats. 'And that is the problem science has
with God. There is no evidence, only faith.'
The student stands quietly for a moment, before asking a question of His own. 'Professor, is there such thing as heat?'
'Yes,' the professor replies. 'There's heat.'
'And is there such a thing as cold?'
'Yes, son, there's cold too.'
'No sir, there isn't.'
The professor turns to face the student, obviously interested. The room suddenly becomes very quiet. The student begins to explain. 'You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, unlimited heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'.
We can hit up to 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold; otherwise we would be able to go colder than the lowest -458 degrees.'
'Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy.
Absolute zero (-458 F) is the total absence of heat. You see, sir,  cold
is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold.
Heat we can measure in thermal units because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.'
Silence across the room. A pen drops somewhere in the classroom, sounding like a hammer.
'What about darkness, professor. Is there such a thing as darkness?'
'Yes,' the professor replies without hesitation. 'What is night if it isn't darkness?'
'You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is not something; it is the  absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light, but if you have no light constantly you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? That's the meaning we use to define the word.'
'In reality, darkness isn't. If it were, you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?'
The professor begins to smile at the student in front of him. This  will be a good semester. 'So what point are you making, young man?'
'Yes, professor. My point is, your philosophical premise is flawed to start with, and so your conclusion must also be flawed.'
The professor's face cannot hide his surprise this time. 'Flawed? Can you explain how?'
'You are working on the premise of duality,' the student explains. 'You argue that there is life and then there's death; a good God and a bad God.
You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can't even explain a thought.'
'It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life, just the absence of it.'
'Now tell me, professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?'
'if you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, young man, yes, of course I do.'
'Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?'
the professor begins to shake his head, still smiling, as he realizes where the argument is going. A very good semester, indeed.
'Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you now not a scientist, but a preacher?'
The class is in uproar. The student remains silent until the  commotion has subsided.
'To continue the point you were making earlier to the other student,  let me give you an example of what I mean.'
The student looks around the room. 'Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the professor's brain?' The class breaks out into laughter.
'Is there anyone here who has ever heard the professor's brain, felt the professor's brain, touched or smelt the professor's brain? No one appears to
have done so. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, with all due respect, sir.'
'So if science says you have no brain, how can we trust your  lectures, sir?'
Now the room is silent. The professor just stares at the student, his face unreadable.
Finally, after what seems an eternity, the old man answers. 'I guess you'll have to take them on faith.'

'Now, you accept that there is faith, and, in fact, faith exists with life,'
the student continues. 'Now, sir, is there such a thing as evil?'

Now uncertain, the professor responds, 'Of course, there is. We see it everyday. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man.
 It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil.'
To this the student replied, 'Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God.
It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the  absence of God.
God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold  that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no
light.'

The professor sat down.

Reply #3898 Posted: December 09, 2007, 05:43:57 pm
snprkd

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: snprkdFACE;609951
God vs Science

'Let me explain the problem science has with religion.' The atheist professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new students to stand.
'You're a Christian, aren't you, son?'
'Yes sir,' the student says.
'So you believe in God?'
'Absolutely.'
'Is God good?'
'Sure! God's good.'
'Is God all-powerful? Can God do anything?'
'Yes.'
'Are you good or evil?'
'The Bible says I'm evil.'
The professor grins knowingly. 'Aha! The Bible!' He considers for a moment.
'Here's one for you. Let's say there's a sick person over here and  you can cure him. You can do it. Would you help him? Would you try?'
'Yes sir, I would.'
'So you're good...!'
'I wouldn't say that.'
'But why not say that? You'd help a sick and maimed person if you could. Most of us would if we could. But God doesn't.'
The student does not answer, so the professor continues. 'He doesn't, does he? My brother was a Christian who died of cancer, even though he  prayed to Jesus to heal him. How is this Jesus good? Hmmm? Can you answer that one?'
The student remains silent.
'No, you can't, can you?' the professor says. He takes a sip of water from a glass on his desk to give the student time to relax.
'Let's start again, young fella. Is God good?'
'Er...yes,' the student says.
'Is Satan good?'
The student doesn't hesitate on this one. 'No.'
'Then where does Satan come from?'
The student falters. 'From God'
'That's right. God made Satan, didn't he? Tell me, son. Is there evil in this world?'
'Yes, sir.'
'Evil's everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything, correct?'
'Yes.'
'So who created evil?' The professor continued, 'If God created everything, then God created evil, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then God is evil.'
Again, the student has no answer. 'Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred?
Ugliness? All these terrible things, do they exist in this world?'
The student squirms on his feet. 'Yes.'
'So who created them?'
The student does not answer again, so the professor repeats his question.
'Who created them?' There is still no answer. Suddenly the lecturer breaks away to pace in front of the classroom. The class is mesmerized.  
'Tell me,' he continues onto another student. 'Do you believe in Jesus Christ, son?'
The student's voice betrays him and cracks. 'Yes, professor, I do.'
The old man stops pacing. 'Science says you have five senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Have you ever seen Jesus?'
'No sir. I've never seen Him.'
'Then tell us if you've ever heard your Jesus?'
'No, sir, I have not.'
'Have you ever felt your Jesus, tasted your Jesus or smelt your  Jesus?
Have you ever had any sensory perception of Jesus Christ, or God for that matter?'
'No, sir, I'm afraid I haven't.'
'Yet you still believe in him?'
'Yes.'
'According to the rules of empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your God doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?'
'Nothing,' the student replies. 'I only have my faith.'
'Yes, faith,' the professor repeats. 'And that is the problem science has
with God. There is no evidence, only faith.'
The student stands quietly for a moment, before asking a question of His own. 'Professor, is there such thing as heat?'
'Yes,' the professor replies. 'There's heat.'
'And is there such a thing as cold?'
'Yes, son, there's cold too.'
'No sir, there isn't.'
The professor turns to face the student, obviously interested. The room suddenly becomes very quiet. The student begins to explain. 'You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, unlimited heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'.
We can hit up to 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold; otherwise we would be able to go colder than the lowest -458 degrees.'
'Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy.
Absolute zero (-458 F) is the total absence of heat. You see, sir,  cold
is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold.
Heat we can measure in thermal units because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.'
Silence across the room. A pen drops somewhere in the classroom, sounding like a hammer.
'What about darkness, professor. Is there such a thing as darkness?'
'Yes,' the professor replies without hesitation. 'What is night if it isn't darkness?'
'You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is not something; it is the  absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light, but if you have no light constantly you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? That's the meaning we use to define the word.'
'In reality, darkness isn't. If it were, you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?'
The professor begins to smile at the student in front of him. This  will be a good semester. 'So what point are you making, young man?'
'Yes, professor. My point is, your philosophical premise is flawed to start with, and so your conclusion must also be flawed.'
The professor's face cannot hide his surprise this time. 'Flawed? Can you explain how?'
'You are working on the premise of duality,' the student explains. 'You argue that there is life and then there's death; a good God and a bad God.
You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can't even explain a thought.'
'It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life, just the absence of it.'
'Now tell me, professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?'
'if you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, young man, yes, of course I do.'
'Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?'
the professor begins to shake his head, still smiling, as he realizes where the argument is going. A very good semester, indeed.
'Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you now not a scientist, but a preacher?'
The class is in uproar. The student remains silent until the  commotion has subsided.
'To continue the point you were making earlier to the other student,  let me give you an example of what I mean.'
The student looks around the room. 'Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the professor's brain?' The class breaks out into laughter.
'Is there anyone here who has ever heard the professor's brain, felt the professor's brain, touched or smelt the professor's brain? No one appears to
have done so. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, with all due respect, sir.'
'So if science says you have no brain, how can we trust your  lectures, sir?'
Now the room is silent. The professor just stares at the student, his face unreadable.
Finally, after what seems an eternity, the old man answers. 'I guess you'll have to take them on faith.'

'Now, you accept that there is faith, and, in fact, faith exists with life,'
the student continues. 'Now, sir, is there such a thing as evil?'

Now uncertain, the professor responds, 'Of course, there is. We see it everyday. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man.
 It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil.'
To this the student replied, 'Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God.
It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the  absence of God.
God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold  that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no
light.'

The professor sat down.

thanks for that piece of christian propaganda. its usually touted as something that actually happened but in fact its a piece of carefully crafted christian propaganda made to discredit science.

here its. http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp

they even tried to use einstein :S

Reply #3899 Posted: December 09, 2007, 05:49:45 pm