Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: philo-sofa;666458
I'm deeply moved by your sarcasm.

It would make it less ridiculous to believe in them if you and Billions of other people were actually to experience such an effect, and for that effect to be directed at something which is not defined as being a physical creature one can apparently see.

but god being defined as a creature that you cant see, there is not measurable part and never has any impact on anything means there is no god - just people attributing experiences to god

is this experience the same one that atheists who meditate experience? i would guarantee that this experience has an explanation much simpler then inventing a wish monster which raises many other complications

Reply #4075 Posted: February 28, 2008, 02:51:47 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;666441
placebo effect maybe, bullshit maybe

Careful now - you see, you're starting to tell me that something I personally experienced and felt was bullshit.

Reply #4076 Posted: February 28, 2008, 02:53:38 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;666465
Careful now - you see, you're starting to tell me that something I personally experienced and felt was bullshit.

or placebo - just not god

Reply #4077 Posted: February 28, 2008, 02:55:28 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;666462
but god being defined as a creature that you cant see, there is not measurable part and never has any impact on anything means there is no god - just people attributing experiences to god

God is defined as something you can't see - unlike Leprechaun.  Again the argument is that the experience of feeling God is a sense, thus it is a measurable thing and God is not invisible.  You still haven't dealt with specifically discrediting this experience as a sense.

Which to an extent leads me (and I think, you) to:

Quote from: cobra;666462

is this experience the same one that atheists who meditate experience? i would guarantee that this experience has an explanation much simpler then inventing a wish monster which raises many other complications

Not really - meditation is generally an internally driven process.  This is claimed to be a piece of external stimulus.

As for wish-monsters, we're talking about the whole debate, but absolutely there are simpler explanations.  But taken on its own it is a more compelling argument than most.

Reply #4078 Posted: February 28, 2008, 03:32:59 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: philo-sofa;666483
God is defined as something you can't see - unlike Leprechaun.

so you have seen leprchauns?

also the definition of a god is.

the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.

not something u cant see.

Reply #4079 Posted: February 28, 2008, 03:57:28 pm

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
  • nzjeebs has no influence.
If god wanted us to follow him he would show total and utter proof of his own existence. There may be a god but he left this place a long time ago.

Reply #4080 Posted: February 28, 2008, 04:00:09 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
God is defined as something you can't see - unlike Leprechaun.  Again the argument is that the experience of feeling God is a sense, thus it is a measurable thing and God is not invisible.  You still haven't dealt with specifically discrediting this experience as a sense.

that is because i dont believe in this sense that only religious people can experience that can't be attributed to anything other than god

and how do you measure this?

As for wish-monsters, we're talking about the whole debate, but absolutely there are simpler explanations.  But taken on its own it is a more compelling argument than most.

you can't take it on it own - god raises issues like where did god come from? if god has always been here then why can't stuff have always been here? why doesn't god ever have any impact on anything? god is not compelling, just a good substitute for thinking

Reply #4081 Posted: February 28, 2008, 04:11:37 pm

Offline detonator7

• Just settled in
  • detonator7 has no influence.
Quote from: NZJeebs;666498
he would show total and utter proof of his own existence.

but thats the thing he has, but people refuse to believe it and try to answer it with science.

Reply #4082 Posted: February 28, 2008, 04:14:35 pm
Silverstone SST-KL02B | Corsair HX-520W | Intel E8400 | Asus ATI EAH4850 | Supertalent DDR2 4GB | Asus P5Q PRO | Samsung DVD Drive | 640GB  1TB HDD

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
  • nzjeebs has no influence.
Quote from: detonator7;666504
but thats the thing he has, but people refuse to believe it and try to answer it with science.

I dont recall ever seeing him come to earth and do a bunch of crazy shit which only a superior being could do in order to get us to follow him. Were not answering it with science you guys are just bending science you fit your beliefs and you have done as science has evolved and advanced.

Reply #4083 Posted: February 28, 2008, 04:35:14 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: detonator7;666504

please give me a example of this. I am a hardcore atheist and the only way i would ever believe in God is for him to come down to me face to face and prove himself to me. He is omnipotent and omniscient so this shouldn't be a problem for him.

The fact that he cant or wont proves he is nonexistent or incapable of doing, in which case he is no god at all

Reply #4084 Posted: February 28, 2008, 05:01:39 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;666497
so you have seen leprchauns?

also the definition of a god is.

the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.

not something u cant see.

No - but Leprchauns are defined as being visiable corporeal beings.  There are several definitions of God - I find the traditional oniscient, onipresent and omnibenevolent appropriate for the Ibrahamic God, whilst a broader defintition that includes, say Hindusim, might be 'the uncaused first cause'.

Generally however, God has the quality of beign invisible unless He/She wishes to show themselves.  I'm not saying that's the defining feature of a God, but much as a definition of an RXA-8 is much more complicated than "it's a Rotary', having a Wankel engine is nonetheless a quality an RX-8 posesses.  Thus it's less ridiculous to suggest that the experience through other means of somethign that you shouldn't be able to see suggests that that something exists, than it is to suggest the same for something that you should be able to see and photograph.  

Quote from: cobra;666500
that is because i dont believe in this sense that only religious people can experience that can't be attributed to anything other than god

and how do you measure this?

It can't be measured - in much the same way you can't really measure the veracity of your own sense data..... except of course that you can - kinda.  You just have to assume your other sense data is not lying.  That it's one single alledged 'sense' which pretty much disagrees with all the others (as god is generally accepted to not be visible through the others) is a huge issue.

As for not believing, well that's another issue.  I feel to be fair I have to bet be open to the possibility that these people experience something in order to discuss it rationally.  Whether I actually believe its the work of a God is another thing.

Quote from: cobra;666500

you can't take it on it own - god raises issues like where did god come from? if god has always been here then why can't stuff have always been here? why doesn't god ever have any impact on anything? god is not compelling, just a good substitute for thinking

Here I'd disagree when I'm talking about the strength of the argument itself.  Going back to critical thinking lectures, you can't object to an argument simply because the weight of other evidence is against it. You have to critically assess it on its own and determine its individual value, then sum it up with other evidence to get a (meta)conclusion.  As I said in my first post I'm not biting off the whole chunk of the whether God exists argument - I'm just talking about this specific issue.

Reply #4085 Posted: February 28, 2008, 05:29:32 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: philo-sofa;666550
No - but Leprchauns are defined as being visiable corporeal beings.  There are several definitions of God - I find the traditional oniscient, onipresent and omnibenevolent appropriate for the Ibrahamic God, whilst a broader defintition that includes, say Hindusim, might be 'the uncaused first cause'.

Generally however, God has the quality of beign invisible unless He/She wishes to show themselves.  I'm not saying that's the defining feature of a God, but much as a definition of an RXA-8 is much more complicated than "it's a Rotary', having a Wankel engine is nonetheless a quality an RX-8 posesses.  Thus it's less ridiculous to suggest that the experience through other means of somethign that you shouldn't be able to see suggests that that something exists, than it is to suggest the same for something that you should be able to see and photograph.  

It can't be measured - in much the same way you can't really measure the veracity of your own sense data..... except of course that you can - kinda.  You just have to assume your other sense data is not lying.  That it's one single alledged 'sense' which pretty much disagrees with all the others (as god is generally accepted to not be visible through the others) is a huge issue.

As for not believing, well that's another issue.  I feel to be fair I have to bet be open to the possibility that these people experience something in order to discuss it rationally.  Whether I actually believe its the work of a God is another thing.

Here I'd disagree when I'm talking about the strength of the argument itself.  Going back to critical thinking lectures, you can't object to an argument simply because the weight of other evidence is against it. You have to critically assess it on its own and determine its individual value, then sum it up with other evidence to get a (meta)conclusion.  As I said in my first post I'm not biting off the whole chunk of the whether God exists argument - I'm just talking about this specific issue.

It all depends one your type of religion though of course. Some people believe jesus is god so that means god isnt invisible.

Also if god was invisible how would he "craft us in his image". Surely if god was invisible and we were made in his image therefore we should be invisible also. So going by the word of the bible god would look like a human.

Of course this leads us to wonder how god could create such a flawed being if he himself is perfect.

Reply #4086 Posted: February 28, 2008, 05:44:07 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: philo-sofa;666550

but the definition is impossible to argue against, this experience which can only be felt by religious people that comes from god - sure if that existed, by its very definition, it would point to god

Fleastyle has mentioned god talking to him - if god did communicate to religious people why isn't there more consistency in the thoughts and actions of these religious people - why does god tell some to commit hate crimes and others to be tolerant - once again if there is a god then i dont want any part of his cruel games

Reply #4087 Posted: February 28, 2008, 05:49:38 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;666559
It all depends one your type of religion though of course. Some people believe jesus is god so that means god isnt invisible.

Also if god was invisible how would he "craft us in his image". Surely if god was invisible and we were made in his image therefore we should be invisible also. So going by the word of the bible god would look like a human.

Of course this leads us to wonder how god could create such a flawed being if he himself is perfect.

I agree all this stuff implies the lack of a God yes, though the invisibility thing it not to be taken too literally - generally it's accepted that He/She is generally not visible through any traditionally accepted sense means.  Similarly you might be taking the Bible as literally as a Neocon when you ask why we aren't invisible too.  We also lack onmiscience etc. so an apparent lack of visibility is hardly a major thing.

As for how a God would create us - I quite like the Asimov short story where it's all so the brightest minds can just think forever in an afterlife so that we can work out a way to end his existence (over an infinite timeframe God argues that this is inevitable).  The flaws were perhaps a way of sorting the mental wheat from the chaff (perhaps through evolution or some other nonsense).

Reply #4088 Posted: February 28, 2008, 05:55:23 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: philo-sofa;666572

As for how a God would create us - I quite like the Asimov short story where it's all so the brightest minds can just think forever in an afterlife so that we can work out a way to end his existence (over an infinite timeframe God argues that this is inevitable).  The flaws were perhaps a way of sorting the mental weat from the chaff (perhaps through evolution or some other nonsense).

Just as everything has a beginning everything has a ending. Why should god be any different?

Reply #4089 Posted: February 28, 2008, 05:56:39 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;666568
but the definition is impossible to argue against, this experience which can only be felt by religious people that comes from god - sure if that existed, by its very definition, it would point to god

It's very inductive - it can be argued against withing the context of the whole argument for God, because it's very possibly an inconsitent delusion as you mention.  But.. the sense's possible apparent existence does seem to make the existence of god marginally more likely.  Put it this way, if it were to be disproven as a matter of people having a malfunctioning aprt of the brain due to drug usage, wouldn't you point out to people that God's existence was less likely because of it?

Quote from: cobra;666568
Fleastyle has mentioned god talking to him - if god did communicate to religious people why isn't there more consistency in the thoughts and actions of these religious people - why does god tell some to commit hate crimes and others to be tolerant - once again if there is a god then i dont want any part of his cruel games

Nor I.  As Richard Dorkins said we're all currently light-years ahead of the barbaric morality expressed in the Old Testament - and rather far advanced of much of the sentiment expressed in the New testament (Women, Homosexuals, Slavery etc).  Though it has to be said - a God may simply regard free will as the greatest benefit of all - perhaps all, almost all, or just the truly morally decrepit communications from Him/Her are false.

Reply #4090 Posted: February 28, 2008, 06:03:35 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
"this is the song that never ends..."

Reply #4091 Posted: February 28, 2008, 06:07:38 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.
Quote from: Black Heart;666581
"this is the song that never ends..."

yes it goes on and on my friend.....

[next line plz]

Reply #4092 Posted: February 28, 2008, 06:08:34 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: philo-sofa;666580
Richard Dorkins

Why do religious types always end up using slander when their argument falls apart?

Reply #4093 Posted: February 28, 2008, 06:17:57 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;666573
Just as everything has a beginning everything has a ending. Why should god be any different?

That's a very certain, almost faithful opinion for a creature that's lived all of... what a quarter century at most, and traveled across..... 0.01% of the universe (rounding up).

What makes it logically impossible (not just mind boggling) for something to exist forever, or even to have always existed?

Quote from: KiLL3r;666589
Why do religious types always end up using slander when their argument falls apart?

Slander?  Eh?  You're talking about me?

Reply #4094 Posted: February 28, 2008, 06:19:07 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: philo-sofa;666593
What makes it logically impossible (not just mind boggling) for something to exist forever, or even to have always existed?

Entropy.

Reply #4095 Posted: February 28, 2008, 06:21:21 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline KiLL3r

Yet apparently its impossible for the universe to do the same thing?

Slander?  Eh?  You're talking about me?

Well when you call one of the most well educated atheist Dorkins instead of Dawkins it appears that way.

Reply #4096 Posted: February 28, 2008, 06:29:44 pm

Offline cnvrt02

• Addicted
  • cnvrt02 has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;666134
well science is the basis of all knowledge.

just think if it weren't for the dark ages when the religious leaders of the time condemned any sort of science we might have started colonizing space by now.

thanks a lot "god"

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3336/darkages27cd6f1nc0.png
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

you know the Romans were Christian to right?

well before the older roman god fall from favour.
we are not perfect because the "devil" corrupted us

nice way to nit pick.

p.s this is not my opinion on the subject, just pointing out some facts..

Reply #4097 Posted: February 28, 2008, 06:36:08 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: cnvrt02;666608
you know the Romans were Christian to right?

well before the older roman god fall from favour.
we are not perfect because the "devil" corrupted us

nice way to nit pick.

and isnt it ironic that the roman rrepublic and empire lasted from 509 BC – 476AD

yet it only took 100 years for christianity to cause the fall of rome

Reply #4098 Posted: February 28, 2008, 06:44:23 pm

Offline cnvrt02

• Addicted
  • cnvrt02 has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;666614
and isnt it ironic that the roman rrepublic and empire lasted from 509 BC – 476AD

yet it only took 100 years for christianity to cause the fall of rome

that is the most moronic comment i have heard from you, Christianity did not cause rome to fall, unrest and barbarian attacks on citys did, with a long list of other crap, but i can't be fuckin arsed putting it all down.

here wiki can do it for me

Fall of the Empire and Middle Ages

With the reign of Constantine I, the Bishop of Rome gained political as well as religious importance, eventually becoming known as the Pope and establishing Rome as the center of the Catholic Church. After the Sack of Rome in AD 410 by Alaric I and the fall of the Western Roman Empire in AD 476, Rome alternated between Byzantine and plundering by Germanic barbarians. Its population declined to a mere 20,000 during the Early Middle Ages, reducing the sprawling city to groups of inhabited buildings interspersed among large areas of ruins and vegetation. Rome remained nominally part of the Byzantine Empire rule until AD 751 when the Lombards finally abolished the Exarchate of Ravenna. In 756, Pepin the Short gave the pope temporal jurisdiction over Rome and surrounding areas, thus creating the Papal States. Rome remained the capital of the Papal States until its annexation into the Kingdom of Italy in 1870; the city became a major pilgrimage site during the Middle Ages and the focus of struggles between the Papacy and the Holy Roman Empire starting with Charlemagne, who was crowned its first emperor in Rome on Christmas 800 AD by Pope Leo III. Apart from brief periods as an independent city during the Middle Ages, Rome kept its status of Papal capital and "holy city" for centuries, even when the Pope briefly relocated to Avignon (1309–1337). While no longer politically powerful, as tragically shown by the brutal sack of 1527, the city flourished as a hub of cultural and artistic activity during the Renaissance and the Baroque, under the patronage of the Papal court.

Reply #4099 Posted: February 28, 2008, 06:54:45 pm