Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: spliff;669498
...... Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein? If these two highly acclaimed scientists think there is a very high likeliness of a 'Creator', what makes you think you possess the knowledge that it is very unlikely?

this is not true - Hawkings is an athiest and Einstein didn't believe in a personal god, i wish iconz had a fail icon son i could spam it now

Cobra, I will not bother responding to your post for some of the above reasons, you're just repeating the same crap over and over and not offering any new insights into why you believe what you believe.

Quote from: spliff;669214
How pathetic - more like you're afraid to answer to any of my arguments because you know you are wrong and not willing to admit it.

maybe you dont understand - i'll make it simple for you - you ask us to disprove god and then said goodluck, i asked you to disprove something that obviously doesn't exist, wish you can't do - to illustrate that you can't ever disprove that things dont exist

The only god that could exist is one that had no impact on anything - if god couldn't impact on anything, what use is he, we might as well discard him as the universe would be the same with or with out him

Reply #4375 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:06:57 pm

Offline spliff

• Just settled in
  • spliff has no influence.
Quote from: cobra;669516
this is not true - Hawkings is an athiest

Uuh, no... he's agnostic, he doesn't believe in the Christian God and it's one of the reasons he divorced from his religious wife.

Now, lest anyone be confused, let me state that Hawking strenuously denies charges that he is an atheist. When he is accused of that he really gets angry and says that such assertions are not true at all. He is an agnostic or deist or something more along those lines. He's certainly not an atheist and not even very sympathetic to atheism.

source: Henry F. Schaefer III - Stephen Hawking, the Big Bang, and God

the simple fact is many, many scientists believe there is a good possibility of a Creator of somesuch that created the universe. My question is what knowledge does Philo-sofa have that all these scientists apparently don't have that makes him think it is very unlikely?

Reply #4376 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:12:47 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: spliff;669505
There is no afterlife, just death' You know this for a fact do you,

No, I do not know it for a fact, but it is no less, and far more reasonable than assuming that we become ethereal beings cavorting with angels on clouds, or whatever variation it is that believers in an afterlife posit.

and lol at comparing us to animals, truly pathetic.

Why is that truly pathetic? We ARE animals, of the Genus Homo, species sapiens sapiens.
What is pathetic about that? Just because we've evolved such that we presently fill the top of the ecological pyramid and have created a spiritual world with which to comfort us, doesn't mean we aren't animals.
Oh, and let's not forget the Kingdom: Animalia

Good for you. Have fun living your life as an unspiritual, biological sack-of-meat-and-bones.

I do, and I hope that one day you will see that that is all you are too. Nothing special, no god to come and pick you over someone else, just a biological entity with a tremendous imagination

Reply #4377 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:17:05 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline spliff

• Just settled in
you're a Genus Homo

so where did we and the animals come from? Cells? Where did those cells come from? Why did they appear on Earth? Where did the universe come from? Why did the universe appear? What caused it? What is time, when did it begin? How and why? Why is there life? Why do we have consciousness?

Reply #4378 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:23:33 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: spliff;669518
Uuh, no... he's agnostic, he doesn't believe in the Christian God and it's one of the reasons he divorced from his religious wife.

the simple fact is many, many scientists believe there is a good possibility of a Creator of somesuch that created the universe. My question is what knowledge does Philo-sofa have that all these scientists apparently don't have that makes him think it is very unlikely?

good possibility? that is just lies, you just made that up

the term i heard was Einsteinian atheist - but still you we claiming a few posts ago that they believed in a "strong possibility" in god, can you back this up

Reply #4379 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:23:44 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: spliff;

As has already been pointed out to you almost all atheists have a slight agnostic belief because as you/many have said it is all theory atm and only someone very close minded could totally poo poo a mystical creator.

I personally find it very remote, which is why I am more atheist, but I admit a VERY small possibility.

Agnostics are lazy fence sitters

Reply #4380 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:27:28 pm

Offline spliff

• Just settled in
Quote from: cobra;669532
good possibility? that is just lies, you just made that up

the term i heard was Einsteinian atheist - but still you we claiming a few posts ago that they believed in a "strong possibility" in god, can you back this up

Yes, I could if I could be bothered trawling through his theories ect. again to get some quotes but I can't be bothered going to the effort of trying to prove a point to you close-minded atheists when it seems it ultimately pointless and a waste of my time, go and do the research yourself if you feel compelled to

Reply #4381 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:28:53 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: spliff;669531
you're a Genus Homo

so where did we and the animals come from? Cells? Where did those cells come from? Why did they appear on Earth? Where did the universe come from? Why did the universe appear? What caused it? What is time, when did it begin? How and why? Why is there life? Why do we have consciousness?

and your answer to all that is god?

so where did god come from? Why did he create the earth? Why did he create such a large infinite universe for if we are the only ones in it?

Reply #4382 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:31:21 pm

Offline spliff

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;669540

so where did god come from?

Why the fuck are you still asking questions that i've already explained to you

it is pointless asking why 'God' did what it did, we cannot fathom or comprehend it's reasons for the universe to exist

Reply #4383 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:32:08 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: spliff;669537
Yes, I could if I could be bothered trawling through his theories ect. again to get some quotes but I can't be bothered going to the effort of trying to prove a point to you close-minded atheists when it seems it ultimately pointless and a waste of my time, go and do the research yourself if you feel compelled to

and i have proof of that god doesn't exist, can't be bothered posting it, do your own research

you wont find god in any of Einstein's or Hawkings theories - and non with give a "probability"

+ i am an open minded atheist, i think you are over estimating how clever your posts are, the have no substance and are mostly lies and half truths
"evolution is random" for example

Reply #4384 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:34:42 pm

Offline spliff

• Just settled in
yeah I think i've had enough of this, only reason I started posting here was because i'm banned from GPforums at the moment and they've actually got very intelligent people there that aren't stuck in their own little ignorant thought patterns (there are atheists there too, but none of them are as close-minded as what some of you are)

if you don't want to believe in God or a Creator, good for you but in all honesty I feel sorry for you that you think everything just came from nothing by some very extreme chance

enjoy arguing amongst yourselves

Reply #4385 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:42:05 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: spliff;669518

My guess is that Philo is NOT a christian/religious, and thus doesn't make that leap of faith !

Reply #4386 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:48:46 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: spliff;669548
only reason I started posting here was because i'm banned from GPforums

Ahhh, I knew this kind of stupidity could not evolve on its own. You were obviously created.

Reply #4387 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:51:33 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: Arnifix;
Ahhh, I knew this kind of stupidity could not evolve on its own. You were obviously created.

LOL. Wonder why he was banned??

Reply #4388 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:53:08 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: spliff;669531
you're a Genus Homo

There is a wealth, no a wealth of wealths of Scientific information about these questions, but to paraphrase you, I can't be bothered trawling through reams of information to post a few choice snippetts for your perusal...you should do the research yourself, but I'm certain that you won't, or you will use the small amount of christian scientists to try to get your point across. The real fact of the matter is that there are a heck of a lot more scientists who aren't christian than who are.

You are Genus Homo too

Reply #4389 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:53:12 pm

Offline spliff

• Just settled in
Quote from: Arnifix;669552

what makes me stupid? Because I don't think the universe and everything came about due to purely coincidental chance? Yeah man, I must be stupid. You've barely even contributed anything to the recent arguments, so I would hazard a guess that is in fact you who are stupid.

Quote from: Ngati_Grim;669555

You are Genus Homo too

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7794/hasselhoffhomovf1.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #4390 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:54:15 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: spliff;669548

if you don't want to believe in God or a Creator, good for you but in all honesty I feel sorry for you that you think everything just came from nothing by some very extreme chance

I feel sorry that you believe in faeries...oh, wait...dragons...uh...an eternal creator!

Reply #4391 Posted: March 04, 2008, 01:54:53 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Please do. I would like to hear exactly why and how you think time first began - and I assume this is going to be 100% fact and not just a scientific theory?

I can't be certain of anything, it's all theory to a certain extent.  Again we're dealing with levels of confidence and there is a very high level of confidence that this is correct.  It basically involves running the clock back on the universe and seeing what happens.  After the first nanosecond of time (before the brainspawn) the typical amount of energy preent in a single particle was about 1TeV and the typical amount of energy present wouldn've been about 10e^16 degrees kelvin.  Logically, particles as we know them couldn't exist at these kind of insane energies - even sub-atomic particles couldn't exist - they were split into free quarks in what's been called a quark soup, there were also photons around.  As this very promirdial soup ran around the tiny space the universe was at the time, the protagonist quarks and photons kept slamming into each other - with the potential to create different kinds of sub-particles once the temeprature cooled down enough.  Which it did as the universe expanded (your fridge uses the same cooling principle).

The bugger is these collisons produced a boring mix of both particles and anti particles.  As anyone who's watched Star Trek knows, they don't mix well - in fact they immediately  annhialate one another.  However, the universe as a result of its expansion, slightly different 'spins' on sub-particles and required energy levels for sub-particle formation, had a very, very tiny discrepancy between particle and anti-particle formation - as a result more matter got created - it was this balance that was not annihalated.  The acutal matter in the Universe as we see it is the result of this tiny inequality.  Once the universe was about 100 times larger than it was initially in the 'quark soup'  and at this point (aroudn a thousandth of a second) the first normal particles were formed.  One to two seconds later, there were no free quarks anymore - this eventually led to the formation of a massive cloud of hydrogen (from deuterium), suns and 'heavy' atoms.

Not every aspect of evolution has been proven, no. Anyway I was more just scoffing at Kill3r for referring to Darwin of all people to backup his beliefs.

Scientifically, it has.  If you want to please explain what parts haven't.

Not once in this thread have I said that I definately believe in God. I am very close to it, and I would rather die believing in a God than die not believing in a God.

So would I, but I'd much rather die being self-honest.

Nope, I don't. Your explanation is that everything just magically popped out of nowhere. My explanation is that everything was created and designed with very clear and specific intent, my explanation sounds more logical tbh, even if it is a difficult concept for humans to comprehend.

Sorry but 'it just happened' is close to magic.  You're misapplying Occam's Razor by just inventing an explanation that isn't implied, and saying it's simpler.  Again it isn't logical, it's A) kind of fantastical and B) not implied by anything.

I'm not really interested in arguing with atheists anymore, I've heard your point of views and I still find them to be completely ridiculous and it's obvious your lack the ability to 'think outside the box' per se, you're stuck in your own little realm of logic and science and not willing to venture outside that realm. You're lucky Cynos from GPforums isn't here, because he would absolutely rip apart your argument and make you look foolish, I just lack the knowledge that he does unfortunately.

I'm sorry to make this a little personal Spliff, but listening to the way you dismiss things it's unmoving to me that you find Atheism ridiculous.  You completely and immediately dismiss the arguments that have had some of the finest (Theist and Atheist) minds locked in thought for centuries, and that isn't a sign of someone whos is listening.  Please do invite Cynos in, I assure you, he wouldn't "demolish" me, as with many of the people here.

You seem like quite an intelligent guy Philo-sopha, but as I mentioned earlier even some of the greatest minds in the world have believed there is a very strong possibility of a God that created the universe, including Hawking and Einstein and many other scientists, so I ask you - do you think you're smarter and more knowledgable than Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein? If these two highly acclaimed scientists think there is a very high likeliness of a 'Creator', what makes you think you possess the knowledge that it is very unlikely?

In RAW I.Q terms Einsteain wasn't that smart.  Genius certainly, but not as incredible as most people believe.  You're also ignoring the other side of the equation when making your appeal to two people - there are many more genius cosmologists and Physicists that don't believe in God.  From what you're implying we do (follow the smart) should we follow the majority or the minority?  Also I, as well as a lot of other people possess a lot of the knowledge nd reasoning that has happened after Einstein, and since Stephen Hawking wrote "A Brief History of Time" and got excited misquotes all over the Christian press.  You may be missing the point if you think it's a matter of these two people and their unreplicable/unknowable tought processes.  Even if someone is far less bright than either, the arguments of them, and a million others can be boiled down into a few succinct conclsuions and facts and the majority of people can advance this.  

I also ask you Philo-sofa, are you afraid of death - and complete non-existence? Or do you embrace it as a part of life? when/if you have kids, do you teach this to them - than when they die, that's it, they will never exist again? Because obviously you don't know that this is a fact, but as an atheist this is the only rational option you have, right?

I am afraid of death, but accept this is just an emotional reaction evolution has pushed on me (along with the rest of me admittedly).  As a rather onto it man said thousands of years ago, given that me being dead cannot happen at the same time as me experiencing anything, why should I be fearful?  

I will teach any kids I have logic, along with my values, the rest is for them to figure out.  Please stop saying "I obviously" don't know this or that, it's quite untrue - and a little unfair seeing as you don't engage any of the arguments put to you - rather you dismiss them out of hand.  As Cobra said, I'm not an undecided on the issue of invisible Giraffe's, nor on God, nor on the idea of being resurrected.

That having been said I can turn this around - Metaphysics often suggests that you might not actually exist - rather your brain just thinks you do.  This is somethign I think is likely true.  Do some reasearch into this if you dare and see how scared you become.  There are worse things than death.

I pity anyone who relies completely on science to try and explain everything, because ultimately science and all it's methods and everything didn't just come from nowhere, something that intricate needs to have been designed by something, despite how you will try your best to explain it when ultimately you can't.

I get a little frustrated by your constant brazen claims "that you can't explain it".  If you choose not to engage or listen to explanations that's up to you, but you have no right to pass judgement on them.

Cobra, I will not bother responding to your post for some of the above reasons, you're just repeating the same crap over and over and not offering any new insights into why you believe what you believe.

Little bit of hypocrisy there...

Reply #4392 Posted: March 04, 2008, 02:02:17 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Spliff, you're quite right when you say I am the Homo but please use it correctly: there is a capital "H", The ignorance in your comments just makes everything you say laughable!

Yes, I am Homo sapiens sapiens, I have a long lineage through various species of Homo and traceable back beyond the first chordate, far beyond the anomalies of the Burgess Shale and into the Stromatoporoids as can be seen, even today, in places such as Shark Bay. Beyond that, well, there is the potential for extraterrestrial seedings via cometary impacts etc, but nothing points towards a creator in the divine sense.

Reply #4393 Posted: March 04, 2008, 02:02:30 pm

Offline spliff

• Just settled in
Back to the old imaginary friends and fairies thing again eh, how boring

Philo-sofa, sorry mate but you just wasted your time because I'm not reading any of that, the attitude of people in this thread (excluding you I have to admit) is a disgrace and I'm not interested in being a part of a one-sided discussion anymore

Reply #4394 Posted: March 04, 2008, 02:06:06 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: spliff;669563

Actually, you should test your mind with these ideas and see what you come up with, rather than dismissing them out of hand

I'm not interested

That is plainly obvious and I'm sorry for that.

Reply #4395 Posted: March 04, 2008, 02:09:44 pm

Offline spliff

• Just settled in
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;669564
Actually, you should test your mind with these ideas and see what you come up with, rather than dismissing them out of hand

I already have, and have come to the conclusion that it's just an argument that ignorant people like you use to try and ridicule people who believe in a God. It's pathetic, underhanded and proves nothing but how uneducated you are.

Quote from: Ngati_Grim;669562
Spliff, you're quite right when you say I am the Homo but please use it correctly: there is a capital "H", The ignorance in your comments just makes everything you say laughable!

Yes, I am Homo sapiens sapiens, I have a long lineage through various species of Homo and traceable back beyond the first chordate, far beyond the anomalies of the Burgess Shale and into the Stromatoporoids as can be seen, even today, in places such as Shark Bay. Beyond that, well, there is the potential for extraterrestrial seedings via cometary impacts etc, but nothing points towards a creator in the divine sense.

I'm well aware that I'm a Homo sapien, you see it's this thing that some people call a 'joke'...

Reply #4396 Posted: March 04, 2008, 02:14:34 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.

Philo-sofa, sorry mate but you just wasted your time because I'm not reading any of that, the attitude of people in this thread (excluding you I have to admit) is a disgrace and I'm not interested in being a part of a one-sided discussion anymore

you dont get it do you spliff. I think you are far more arrogant than anyone else who has ever posted in this thread. All you do is dismiss everyones elses evidence no matter what it is.

Also arnt you banned here as well, lets see if we can get that reinstated

Reply #4397 Posted: March 04, 2008, 02:17:33 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: spliff;669567
I already have, and have come to the conclusion that it's just an argument that ignorant people like you use to try and ridicule people who believe in a God. It's pathetic, underhanded and proves nothing but how uneducated you are.

Why is it pathetic and underhand?
How does it prove how uneducated I am?

I feel truly sorry for you if that is the best you can reply!
Please continue, I haven't laughed so much in a long time!
hahahahaha

Am I doing it right?
Do you feel aptly ridiculed now?

Reply #4398 Posted: March 04, 2008, 02:18:02 pm

Offline spliff

• Just settled in
If you can't see why it's a stupid argument to use then that's your problem, not mine.

Fine Kill3r, if you want me banned so badly for sharing my opinions and beliefs go for it, I really don't care either way. Dismissing people's evidence? I have done no such thing, and it is actually you who has proved your arrogance by not even bothering to respond to any of my arguments because you think they are 'pitiful flame attempts' and 'wrong assumptions'

GG noob

Reply #4399 Posted: March 04, 2008, 02:21:35 pm