Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: KiLL3r;670859
queers are alot like religous people in a way. They try to push their queer beliefs on us in the same way religion does. Albiet in a more colourful way.

I was warming to you until then.
I think all you are displaying are knee-jerk reactions.

Thats awesome - dismiss any evidence at all that might support a viewpoint held by a religious person

Thafleastyler, I have already shown where this may be flawed and am trying to find more information about the Whiteheads to illustrate their conflicts of interest and bias (i.e. they come from a religious paradigm and print material specifically from a christian perspective).

I think the single thing that shows that homosexuality is not normal is this: sex is a means of procreation, and our emotions lead us to a partner that we can procreate with. Homosexuals cannot procreate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_animals

http://www.bidstrup.com/sodomy.htm

So maybe homosexuality is more 'normal' than you suppose?

Reply #4525 Posted: March 06, 2008, 12:54:24 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;670895

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_animals

http://www.bidstrup.com/sodomy.htm

So maybe homosexuality is more 'normal' than you suppose?

WD there dude, you're the oly one to have thought to bring up Homosexuality in the animal world.  It's a big issue for 'was definately not intended by God' and 'cultural choice rather than biological impeteus' schools of thought to consider.

Reply #4526 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:04:24 pm

Offline Metal-Fingerz

• Just settled in
  • Metal-Fingerz has no influence.
homosexuality is not only just displayed by humans so i would not say its not natural

quite often two male dogs will go at it.... its a funny site but yea it happens... sure they aint going to make no gay love child dogs but it still happens

Reply #4527 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:04:26 pm

Offline Metal-Fingerz

• Just settled in
dammit ngati you beat me to it!!!!

hahaha i was bout to crack that out

Reply #4528 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:05:39 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: Arnifix;312302
Flood mythology. Read up on it. The flooding of river deltas is an annual occurance that brought about the new growing season. Logically, a "great flood" would bring about an excellent growing season. Floods were also a common natural disaster. If you guys had bothered to check the Wikipedia article on flood mythology you'd have notcied that these topics have been covered. Far smarter minds than those found here have worked on these problems before.

There weren't dinosaurs around 500 years ago, because we have farking reams of historical documents from those times. WTF didn't anybody mention the velociraptor opening doors and stealing food from the kitchen?

The bible also teaches that whites are greater than blacks and that homosexuals are unnatural. Interestingly enough, a recent study has shown that the vast majority of the animal kingdom take part in homosexual acts. 1 in 5 male sheep are gay. Some penguins will bond in male-male pairs, fuck a female penguin and then drive her away after she's laid the egg to raise it with their male mate.

The Bible is an interesting text that I should really get around to reading. But sadly, Lord of the Rings is taking up my fiction book inventory slot atm.

EDIT: SM, you speak of LotR too. Gay secks?

hardly the first. but meh, can't really expect anyone to read, not rehash the old stuff. it's funny that Random images thread has more views than this one.

Reply #4529 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:12:59 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;670785
I know you'll find this offensive krasher, but that's how it is.

This post illustrates perfectly the problems I have with religion. reality doesn't fit the BULLSHIT you've been fed since a kid so reality has to go.  

BTW mean no offense all you want, your believes are sick and repugnant in this area.

thank you woohoo, that is the most repugnant post i have ever seen posted, made worse because he feels justified with the backing of a "god" and feels his actions are based on "love"

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;670806

I think the single thing that shows that homosexuality is not normal is this: sex is a means of procreation, and our emotions lead us to a partner that we can procreate with. Homosexuals cannot procreate.

That is not correct from an evolutionary view point - i will get more specifics from my biologist girlfriend when she gets home, basically there is some benefit if not all males are competing for limited woman because less injuries from fighting

Quote from: philo-sofa;670813
Krasher has stated his opinions are personal, and they're obviously not without thought, so I'm inclined to be respectful towards them, no matter how strongly I disagree.

would you be respectful to a skinheads personal views?, christian hatred is more subtle but you must see that views like his have a negative effect on society - especially when kids are brainwashed into hating in large groups

Quote from: philo-sofa;670813

I certainly accept some fludity in sexuality, but on a simple level I just wouldn't want to go sleep with another guy.

you were singing a different story friday night after a couple of drinks. I guess if that is your view i will stop waiting for flowers :(

Reply #4530 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:14:26 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: philo-sofa;670902
WD there dude, you're the oly one to have thought to bring up Homosexuality in the animal world.  It's a big issue for 'was definately not intended by God' and 'cultural choice rather than biological impeteus' schools of thought to consider.
Interesting. I will have a closer look at some stage. Doesn't necessarily change my mind at this stage but it is definitely food for thought.

For now I need food for stomach. Appreciate your comments metalfingerz.

Reply #4531 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:19:04 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline Metal-Fingerz

• Just settled in
Quote:
Originally Posted by philo-sofa  
Krasher has stated his opinions are personal, and they're obviously not without thought, so I'm inclined to be respectful towards them, no matter how strongly I disagree.

would you be respectful to a skinheads personal views?, christian hatred is more subtle but you must see that views like his have a negative effect on society - especially when kids are brainwashed into hating in large groups

you are stereotyping to much, has krasher had a negative effect on you? again it is extremities which are issues if it does not impede on you then you shouldn't at all be bothered by it... only these die hards are going to cause any real grief...

if a group of christians dont like me but it does not impede on me so be it.... you cant expect everyone to get along, if the exercise arbitrary acts of violence, abuse or horrible singing then i would have a problem.

there are a million other things that have negative effects on society which are of more importance than cultural or religious differences. especially in NZ which is quite liberal with different religions existing in one society.

+rep for everyones posts too people has made work more entertaining

Reply #4532 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:24:15 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Metal-Fingerz;670923
has krasher had a negative effect on you? again it is extremities which are issues if it does not impede on you then you shouldn't at all be bothered by it... only these die hards are going to cause any real grief...

the negative views have had a negative impact on my homosexual friend, not krasher directly

his normalising hatred towards homosexuality creates an environment where more extreme hatred is acceptable

Quote from: Metal-Fingerz;670923

there are a million other things that have negative effects on society which are of more importance than cultural or religious differences. especially in NZ which is quite liberal with different religions existing in one society.

this why i hate buddhists, so fucken reasonable (j/k)

Reply #4533 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:31:12 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;670895
I was warming to you until then.
I think all you are displaying are knee-jerk reactions.

i just think people should keep their way of life to themselves and try to force it onto others.

People should be able to live as they see fit, as long as it doesnt break the law, force your beliefs on someone else or encroach on other peoples rights.

Reply #4534 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:34:13 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Why does god not fix his creations?

A) Because that would admit fallibility

B) Because they aren't broken

C) Does not exist

D) Other... please explain.

Reply #4535 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:35:18 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: KiLL3r;670927
i just think people should keep their way of life to themselves and try to force it onto others.

did you get raped?

Reply #4536 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:35:33 pm

Offline mish

• Addicted
  • mish has no influence.
Quote from: philo-sofa;670893
Do we want a whole world of Godless Infidels

lolzing,
When flea commented on homosexuality not being his problem, does he actually mean that it is a "problem" or just something that doesn't affect him?
Someone correct me here please, this has confused me.

Reply #4537 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:35:37 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;670927

People should be able to live as they see fit, as long as it doesnt break the law, force your beliefs on someone else or encroach on other peoples rights.

^ I think you'll find most Christians, or any religious people for that matter, don't necessarily force their beliefs on anyone maybe just some of the more radical ones..

Are you going to respond to my post on the previous page Philo-sofa?

Reply #4538 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:39:50 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;670914

In spite of Fingerz' reasoning about this being an extreme case TBH if I sat down with a bunch of skinheads who were being reasonable and logical and had displayed that all to rare trait of being willing to change their opinion on something, then yes, I would be respectful of their arguments.  I think that'd be more likely to change their worldview than screaming and raging at them, and hell, maybe they're turn out to be right - I certainly wouldn't expect them to consider any opinion of mine against theirs unless I was willing to do the same.  Only through that process of reason and avoiding knee-jerk emotional reactions can we all eventually hope come to some sort of set of correct conclusions as a species - knocking things like racisim and homophobia on the head,.

Quote from: cobra;670914

you were singing a different story friday night after a couple of drinks. I guess if that is your view i will stop waiting for flowers :(

You're a guy?  My memory of that night is a little vague.  I might have to change my position on wanting man-love.... babe.

Reply #4539 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:40:00 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: cobra;670929
did you get raped?

only by your mum. She wouldnt take no for a answer :)

Reply #4540 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:43:17 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: philo-sofa;670932
In spite of Fingerz' reasoning about this being an extreme case TBH if I sat down with a bunch of skinheads who were being reasonable and logical and had displayed that all to rare trait of being willing to change their opinion on something, then yes, I would be respectful of their arguments.  I think that'd be more likely to change their worldview than screaming and raging at them, and hell, maybe they're turn out to be right - I certainly wouldn't expect them to consider any opinion of mine against theirs unless I was willing to do the same.  Only through that process of reason and avoiding knee-jerk emotional reactions can we all eventually hope come to some sort of set of correct conclusions as a species - knocking things like racisim and homophobia on the head.

thats why i hate philosophers, so fucken reasonable

you and fingers are right, i could learn a lot about being a better person from you atheists and buddhists - i find i hard not to rage at blind ignorant hatred, but will try to take a page from your books

Reply #4541 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:47:48 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: KiLL3r;670934
only by your mum. She wouldnt take no for a answer :)

yeah after a few drinks she goes a bit crazy, just lie back and think of England

Reply #4542 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:48:51 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: mish;670930
When flea commented on homosexuality not being his problem, does he actually mean that it is a "problem" or just something that doesn't affect him?
Someone correct me here please, this has confused me.

I meant that it doesn't affect me, as in:
a) I'm not gay
b) I don't currently have any friends who are gay
c) I don't hang out in places where there are a high number of gay people

It astounds me that someone could try and justify homosexuality as normal because dogs do it ... well, lets apply that to other situations: humans gang-rape women, and animals do that too - does that mean gang-rape is normal? Or is it not normal because animals can't film it and post it on YouTube?

Pro-creation is the ultimate survival technique - and sex is merely a method of doing that. Homosexual couples - of any species - cannot pro-create, thus it just doesn't seem normal or natural to me. Similarly, sterility or infertility is not normal, and when it occurs in a marriage, as someone brought up, its no less than a tragedy.

You know, for a bunch of evolutionists, you seem to be a little down on the main way in which species advance themselves (pro-creation). Or is it just that I voiced an opinion, and you all now see fit to jump all over me?

Reply #4543 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:49:51 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;670944

Pro-creation is the ultimate survival technique - and sex is merely a method of doing that. Homosexual couples - of any species - cannot pro-create, thus it just doesn't seem normal or natural to me. Similarly, sterility or infertility is not normal, and when it occurs in a marriage, as someone brought up, its no less than a tragedy.

You know, for a bunch of evolutionists, you seem to be a little down on the main way in which species advance themselves (pro-creation). Or is it just that I voiced an opinion, and you all now see fit to jump all over me?

did you read my post on how homosexuality can be a positive driver in procreation?

Reply #4544 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:51:52 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
i don't consider procreation advancement, just what are we advancing ahead of ?
Apart from our supply of resources.

Reply #4545 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:53:07 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: psyche;670931
^ I think you'll find most Christians, or any religious people for that matter, don't necessarily force their beliefs on anyone maybe just some of the more radical ones..

Are you going to respond to my post on the previous page Philo-sofa?

Why do we have holidays (even the word!) for christmas and easter, that are enforced?

Reply #4546 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:58:58 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;670944
I meant that it doesn't affect me, as in:
a) I'm not gay
b) I don't currently have any friends who are gay
c) I don't hang out in places where there are a high number of gay people

It astounds me that someone could try and justify homosexuality as normal because dogs do it ... well, lets apply that to other situations: humans gang-rape women, and animals do that too - does that mean gang-rape is normal? Or is it not normal because animals can't film it and post it on YouTube?

so everything male on female is natural?

Reply #4547 Posted: March 06, 2008, 02:02:20 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
they're not enforced, no-one's forcing you to celebrate christmas or easter :/

Reply #4548 Posted: March 06, 2008, 02:02:33 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: psyche;670452

there's only one thing I can think of that would be more frightening to me than complete non-existence, and that would be if you somehow became trapped in your own consciousness upon death or something. Like, the brain dies, but you're just stuck in your consciousness for eternity, considering scientists don't know everything about the human consciousness it could indeed be a possibility.. but yeah you can say that if you cease to exist upon death, it wouldn't matter or it wouldn't be frightening because you wouldn't exist to experience such thoughts/emotions or whatever, and as some say: You came from nothing, you will go back to nothing. Still scares the everloving shit out of me and I just don't want to consider it, naive perhaps but I don't care

Nah fair enough - as I said, it does still scare me to some extent.  I just think it's possibel to transcend it a bit.

Ressurection? :sly: Are you sure you don't mean reincarnation? If that's what you meant, how do you think that would work? I had this thought the other night, what if when you die.. your consciousness, or your soul or whatever you want to call it (maybe even 'energy' would be the right word) might transfer to someone giving conception in the nearest proximity... or something... seems kinda stupid now that I think about but it seemed like a credible idea at the time :chuckle:

I meant the idea of an afterlife - I'm not undecided on that full stop.  I stop when I die... damnnit.

Why do you guys keep mentioning the 'invisible ' here, it's getting a bit ridiculous how many times you bring it up. In talking about 'God' we are talking about a completely different concept to any kind of invisible animal or something, can you not understand that? It seems like a very poor argument to use, a cop-out if you will..

The general comparison we're trying to make is to somethign that you find no evidence to believe in.  From our perspective, that's God.

Erm, isn't that what you're arguing, that it all just happened due to some inexplicable occurance of complete random chance, or...?

Occam's Razor, sounds like a magic spell out of D&D..

No, what I'm saying is I don't know how for certain exactly what happened, but you are introducing an entity to make it all simpler, which ironically falls foul of Occam's Razor (+6 to hit).

Why, what would it matter?

Because (self) honesty matters to me, and right up to the point where I ceased existing I'd have been self-honest.

From what I understand scientists have yet to explain how or why the very first cell made up of RNA done whatever the hell it done to evolve and become all life as we know it? (abiogensis)
I'm sure there are many aspects of evolution that are yet to be proven beyond certainty.

Sure, or managed to find a Wikipedia page? ;)  My point has always been that evolution happens.  It has been proven to have happened over billions of years (as as side note it is certain that the point of origin for life on Earth happened a very long time ago).  It is true that we cannot work out exactly what the initial reaction (or impregnation even) was - and there exists a definite 'Gap' for a God to inhabit there (for a while at least).  You seem to misunderstand me to be trying to prove God doesn't exist through evolution - somethign that if you don't mind my saying Ibrahamic religious people constantly do.  I am not, I am just trying to get the message through that evolution is a proven thing - it would be no more 'disproven' by a God creating the initial protein than it would if the protein came from a passing asterioid.  On a side note, again there is no 'cause' for (or specifically against) God in this Abiogensis argument - we have plenty of other plausible reasons.

Quote from: cobra;670939
thats why i hate philosophers, so fucken reasonable

you and fingers are right, i could learn a lot about being a better person from you atheists and buddhists - i find i hard not to rage at blind ignorant hatred, but will try to take a page from your books

Hippie! ;)  

I'm hardly an Angel (pun!) you shoulda seen the flame I nearly posted at one point here - I haven't completely managed to calm the rageful reaction, and it can build up if I'm not careful.

Reply #4549 Posted: March 06, 2008, 02:03:43 pm