Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
i swear you could just sit back and let religion dig its own grave

Reply #4600 Posted: March 11, 2008, 08:23:36 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
dont listen to the scientific minority think for yourselves and believe in god by watching this video :sunnies:

[video]2cpNjyVvqK0[/video]

was watching another video with "evilution" and had something about t-rex blood which would mean the earth could be 6000 years old!

but after some research i found it was true they had found something that resembled blood cells but no conclusive proof it was because the bones were 6000 years old. I then found the whole 6000 y/o trex story had been spun by some young earth creationist. what a suprise.

Science +1

Reply #4601 Posted: March 12, 2008, 10:39:05 pm

Offline KiLL3r

btw anyone know if you can get a shirt like this in NZ?!
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7472/1560042dcb398fj1.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #4602 Posted: March 12, 2008, 10:54:09 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;675352
btw anyone know if you can get a shirt like this in NZ?!
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7472/1560042dcb398fj1.jpg

you can get the darwin fish for the back of your car too

Send me a tshirt and i can get my woman to screenprint you one, she is doing a course in screenprinting + has BSc in Biology so is a big fan of darwin

Reply #4603 Posted: March 12, 2008, 10:59:40 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
Is there any actual point you're trying to make kill3r?

the t-shirt sucks btw, you'd look like a pleb if you wore it. Then again, it might be fitting in that case..

Reply #4604 Posted: March 12, 2008, 11:06:54 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: psyche;675361
Is there any actual point you're trying to make kill3r?

the t-shirt sucks btw, you'd look like a pleb if you wore it. Then again, it might be fitting in that case..

he's ratifying the standard argument.

p.s i'd quite like a FSM tshirt

Reply #4605 Posted: March 13, 2008, 01:37:33 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: nick247;674505
i swear you could just sit back and let religion dig its own grave

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2008/03/11/indians_blinded_looking_for_vision_of_mary/2462/

Indians blinded looking for vision of Mary
Published: March 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM

KOTTAYAM, India, March 11 (UPI) -- Reports in India of a miraculous image of the Virgin Mary in the sky have led about 50 people to blind themselves by staring at the sun.

The visions are said to appear over the former home of a hotel owner in the Kottayam area in southeast India, The Daily Telegraph reported. One hospital in the district reported 48 patients had been admitted with burned retinas since last week, the British newspaper reported.

Churches have warned their congregations that looking at the sun will cause permanent blindness and have told them the supposed miracle is not one.

Before moving out, the hotel owner reportedly had also claimed to have statues of the Virgin Mary that cried honey and bled oils and perfumes.

Reply #4606 Posted: March 16, 2008, 10:18:46 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
maybe prayer will cure their blindness.

Reply #4607 Posted: March 16, 2008, 02:34:07 pm

Offline KiLL3r

the day prayer heals any physical illness ill convert.

Reply #4608 Posted: March 16, 2008, 02:40:02 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
waits for dubious postings about the power of prayer

Reply #4609 Posted: March 16, 2008, 03:04:54 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Lyesalot

• Devoted Member
  • Lyesalot has no influence.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;677268

I've heard heaps of different stories about the power of prayer outside of the bible.

But to me now they are just stories. Fictional ones.

Reply #4610 Posted: March 16, 2008, 03:25:54 pm
iM

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;677268

Old I know....BUT..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepal_Airlines
2007 Goat Sacrifice

On 2 September 2007 the airline confirmed that they had sacrificed two goats as an offering to Akash Bhairab, the Hindu God of the sky, whose image is featured on their aircraft. The sacrifice followed technical problems to one of the Boeing 757 aircraft in the fleet, and took place on the runway in front of the affected aircraft. The 757 later flew from Kathmandu to Hong Kong without problems.[6]

Thats +1 for Akash Bhairab! He's done more for Nepal than Allah has done for all the bombs dropping on peoples houses

Reply #4611 Posted: March 16, 2008, 03:33:59 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Tiwaking!;677280
Old I know....BUT..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepal_Airlines
2007 Goat Sacrifice

On 2 September 2007 the airline confirmed that they had sacrificed two goats as an offering to Akash Bhairab, the Hindu God of the sky, whose image is featured on their aircraft. The sacrifice followed technical problems to one of the Boeing 757 aircraft in the fleet, and took place on the runway in front of the affected aircraft. The 757 later flew from Kathmandu to Hong Kong without problems.[6]

Thats +1 for Akash Bhairab! He's done more for Nepal than Allah has done for all the bombs dropping on peoples houses

i feel sorry for the engineers who probably toiled for hours to get that plane fixed while the headjobs were doing their sacrifice

Quote from: krasher;673098
When did I say that?

here

Quote from: krasher;388095
Things I have experienced or seen that make me believe there is something/someone out there...

I have on several occasions felt God's love for me so strongly and tangible that it pales every other experience I have ever had.

Reply #4612 Posted: March 16, 2008, 04:34:13 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: KiLL3r;677255
the day prayer heals any physical illness ill convert.

You better convert. Prayer can be a very, very powerful placebo, just as effective as sugar pills.  There is a lot of documentation of physical illnesses improving because of a fervent belief that "x" would help the ailment.

Reply #4613 Posted: March 16, 2008, 05:10:01 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;677320
You better convert. Prayer can be a very, very powerful placebo, just as effective as sugar pills.  There is a lot of documentation of physical illnesses improving because of a fervent belief that "x" would help the ailment.

yes but its not prayer healing it. You could do exactly the same thing but replace prayer which meditation, etc. Once you convince yourself of something your mind takes over. I could focus on the mosquito bite on my arm and use the inspiration of dr woohoo's banning prowess and eventually convince myself it was all because of the messiah dr woohoo that i was cured even though you had nothing to do with it...

Reply #4614 Posted: March 16, 2008, 05:14:56 pm

Offline KiLL3r

lets put the earth. such an "important" place in the large universe into perspective.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1105/5planets25d8d2dst5.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1371/9planets25d97bdbv2.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6641/8planetssun25da152bv0.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3669/4suns25da9fcni0.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1078/7suns25dbb13op4.jpg

now look up antares and see how small we really are
http://www.google.com/sky/

Reply #4615 Posted: March 16, 2008, 07:40:38 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
That's a pretty cool graphic.

Reply #4616 Posted: March 16, 2008, 09:07:17 pm

Offline cnvrt02

• Addicted
  • cnvrt02 has no influence.
watching this video will achieve more than this thread ever could.

Reply #4617 Posted: March 16, 2008, 09:41:17 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
I think the majority of us were already aware of what Earth's size was in comparison to other planets and stars - what's so amazing about that? What's more interesting is the actual size of the universe itself, and the fact that out of all these millions of planets Earth is the only one known to support life and the only planet with a really habitable landscape... seems like a very extreme 'coincidence'

Quote from: cnvrt02;677497
watching this video will achieve more than this thread ever could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89oS4SN4mNg

I think you may have a point ;)

Reply #4618 Posted: March 16, 2008, 09:59:08 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: psyche;677504
What's more interesting is the actual size of the universe itself, and the fact that out of all these millions of planets Earth is the only one known to support life and the only planet with a really habitable landscape.

funny that cus the last time i looked the number of known planets was still in the hundreds. so out of possible 250(around 2004 probably more now) planets or so we can tell are not identical to earth. this doesn't rule out life though. plus there are a couple that are close to earths classification. remember all thats needed for life is water

Reply #4619 Posted: March 16, 2008, 11:26:17 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;677538
funny that cus the last time i looked the number of known planets was still in the hundreds. so out of possible 250(around 2004 probably more now) planets or so we can tell are not identical to earth. this doesn't rule out life though.

Yeah, KNOWN planets, within our observable distance, and no it doesn't completely rule it out but it's pretty damn unlikely :/ I think that no matter how far man would eventually be able to explore into space, and explore new planets, we would never find any  life 'out there' in the universe, and definately not how it is here.. and that's the way it's meant to be.

plus there are a couple that are close to earths classification.

Which ones are those? terrestrial planets but still nothing like Earth

remember all thats needed for life is water

No, it's a lot more complicated than that, if that were the case scientists would have succeeded in creating life in a laboratory by now, they haven't... Read abiogenesis. All of it.

That plus the fact that Earth just happens to have all the other essential needs for survival of life, photosythensis from the Sun, not too close and not too far but the perfect distance from the Sun, gravity, atmosphere, oxygen ect. ect. and so forth..

/edit

evolution in action! :D

[video]bioXmOsNE8M[/video]

Reply #4620 Posted: March 17, 2008, 12:07:00 am

Offline KiLL3r

you need to read some books and not get all your answers from wikipedia :disappoin

Reply #4621 Posted: March 17, 2008, 08:06:44 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
there is a band of orbit around a lot of stars that could hold planets capable of supporting life like ours, but we're not very good at detecting planets because they don't emit light.
Additionally we can only look for life like our own, when quite possibly theres life that exists without the conditions we need to survive.

scientists haven't created life, so what ?

If your trying to say this is some kind of evidence against science, and therefore strengthens a case for creation, then all your doing is setting yourself up for a fall, science is continually advancing. Sorry, if all the answers aren't just sitting there ready for you at birth, but humanity dicked around following religious doctrine throughout it's history and progress has been slow.

Reply #4622 Posted: March 17, 2008, 08:31:36 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Black Heart;677600
but humanity dicked around following religious doctrine throughout it's history and progress has been slow.

Klericul Yrir - Spokesman for God
[video]_SeiBpNk9Kg[/video]

Reply #4623 Posted: March 17, 2008, 08:57:11 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
I think the majority of us were already aware of what Earth's size was in comparison to other planets and stars - what's so amazing about that?

Actually, what's NOT amazing about that? It blows me away! Gives me a sense of perspective and wonder (but not religious awe, I'm afraid!).

What's more interesting is the actual size of the universe itself,

How big is it again?

and the fact that out of all these millions of planets Earth is the only one known to support life and the only planet with a really habitable landscape... seems like a very extreme 'coincidence'

Known being the keyword, which then makes a mockery of the word coincidence in this context, if, as it looks, you are trying to imply some sort of I.D?

I think you may have a point ;)

Shitney Brears? wtf???

Yeah, KNOWN planets, within our observable distance, and no it doesn't completely rule it out but it's pretty damn unlikely

Why is it unlikely?

I think that no matter how far man would eventually be able to explore into space, and explore new planets, we would never find any life 'out there' in the universe, and definately not how it is here.. and that's the way it's meant to be.

Well, the last bit I am inclined to slightly agree with. Our concept of Life is based entirely on our knowledge (of course) but there could well be silica-based, methane-based, iron-based, or other such life forms, and they may not be recognisable to us.
The first bit though is bunkum and supposition. We may well find Life, or it may well be too far away given our position at the periphery of the Milky Way.

That plus the fact that Earth just happens to have all the other essential needs for survival of life, photosythensis from the Sun, not too close and not too far but the perfect distance from the Sun, gravity, atmosphere, oxygen ect. ect. and so forth..

1: I'm not sure what electro convulsive therapy has to do with it, though it does sound a bit "Frankensteinien".
2: See above. What you listed are some of the requirements for OUR understanding of Life, here, on this speck of a planet.

Reply #4624 Posted: March 17, 2008, 09:51:23 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.