Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline cnvrt02

• Addicted
  • cnvrt02 has no influence.
Quote from: INmOTION;679701
Oh, you are on a whole new level of stupid tonight my friend. I was making a point you nonce, something you always fail to get. But because you always have trouble finding this I'll spell it out. I was trying to have him understand that he should practice what he preaches.

My beef was that he was using insults and mud slinging whilst in discussion, i saved it till i was out of the discussion.

I'm over it now anyway.

again, resorting to insults are we?

You all did. thus setting the standard, he just followed it.
Maybe you could follow your own advice as well.

Reply #4700 Posted: March 21, 2008, 01:51:07 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: cnvrt02;679703
again, resorting to insults are we?

You all did. thus setting the standard, he just followed it.
Maybe you could follow your own advice as well.

You're as thick as planks my son.

I'm not in discussion with you, i'm not trying to debate any type of topic with you nor am i trying to present anything.

I am simply, off the cuff just calling you stupid because you chimed in AFTER the discussion had ended.

And to set it straight, i, NOT ONCE, resorted to cheap insults whilst in discussion with psyche.

Reply #4701 Posted: March 21, 2008, 01:57:36 am

Offline cnvrt02

• Addicted
Quote from: INmOTION;679705
You're as thick as planks my son.

I'm not in discussion with you, i'm not trying to debate any type of topic with you nor am i trying to present anything.

I am simply, off the cuff just calling you stupid because you chimed in AFTER the discussion had ended.

And to set it straight, i, NOT ONCE, resorted to cheap insults whilst in discussion with psyche.

no, you did not but you do come off very condescending, hence my comment.

I am in no way siding with the person, but you are being a hypocrite to tell others to practice what they preach then insult them at the same time.

Reply #4702 Posted: March 21, 2008, 02:08:18 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Fuck it, I'm over it. I thought i could get through to you. You're an impenetrable force field that runs off ignorance and stupidity.

I'm expecting a trailer load of infractions and probably a stint in the cooler.

Reply #4703 Posted: March 21, 2008, 02:14:42 am

Offline cnvrt02

• Addicted
Quote from: INmOTION;679709
Fuck it, I'm over it. I thought i could get through to you. You're an impenetrable force field that runs off ignorance and stupidity.

I'm expecting a trailer load of infractions and probably a stint in the cooler.

..sigh :disappoin:violin:

Reply #4704 Posted: March 21, 2008, 02:26:43 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Arnifix;679453
Grim, would you care to ream Christian Schienche 101 here on his hilarious ideas about radiocarbon dating? I'm guessing that's up probably one of your alleys.

lol, you know, that section raised more alrm bells for me than any other in there, but since it's early morning and I only got up for a piss and a ciggy, I'll get back to it later today...but in short, we do have very good constraints on dating and age correlation, it's not all about carbon dating...fuck it, here's a starter: http://www.rafterradiocarbon.co.nz/  but because we are a small country with limited funding, you have to go to devil-worshipping countries like Australia to get the good stuff.....patience little flea

later :bigglasse

Reply #4705 Posted: March 21, 2008, 03:59:04 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Higher dimensions
[video]FAux8_vN-dU[/video]

Reply #4706 Posted: March 21, 2008, 09:19:38 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: psyche;679543
Arnifix is the one to blame as he incited it with the 'idiot' remarks.

I say that you are mentally deficient. You say that I have orange hair and am a homosexual. Even my insults are more intelligent than yours.

Please note, if you try to use science to prove that god is the most likely option, your throat will be full of me, because I will be jumping straight down your liehole. If I lie, misrepresent, or deliberately decieve you, you can do the same to me.

Reply #4707 Posted: March 21, 2008, 09:27:26 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Arnifix;679741
I say that you are mentally deficient. You say that I have orange hair and am a homosexual. Even my insults are more intelligent than yours.

Please note, if you try to use science to prove that god is the most likely option, your throat will be full of me, because I will be jumping straight down your liehole. If I lie, misrepresent, or deliberately decieve you, you can do the same to me.

"Long before quantum mechanics the German philospher Husserl said that 'All perception is gamble'. Every type of bigotry, racism, sexism, predjudice. Every dogmatic ideology that allows people to kill other people with a clear conscience. Every stupid cult, every superstition, written religion, every kind of ignorance in the world all results from not realizing that our perceptions are gambles. We believe what we see then we believe our interpretation of it. We dont even know we are making an interpretation most of the time. We think 'This is reality'. In philosophy thats called 'naive realism, what I perceive as reality'"
Robert Anton Wilson

Reply #4708 Posted: March 21, 2008, 09:52:14 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
O.K. some links re:dating.

http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/wgmt/common/geochronology.html

http://geology.cr.usgs.gov/capabilities/gronemtrac/geochron/geochron.html

Take some time to read through this. The USGS (United States Geological Survey) is probably the preeminent geological research institution, not just because of the funding they receive (in fact, they are suffering the modern malaise of funding cuts in the fields of hazards and water, which is bizarre, as these are growth fields, if anything...anyway, I digress), but also because of the quality and quantity of their research.
And while we're visiting the USGS, this is a good resource for Science education:
http://education.usgs.gov/

Another good place to find information is ANU (Australian National University). They have a well respected dating lab with high tech equipment and good
Science:

http://rses.anu.edu.au/research/index.php?p=geochronology

And here: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/exhibits/geologictime.php
is a link to a site about Geologic Time, from the University of California Museum of Paleontology.

Radiocarbon is a good tool for dating and is widely used in New Zealand because a lot of our focus is on the Quaternary, which ties in nicely with the current focus on climate change.
The general public can quite often be mistaken in thinking that this technique is the only method availoable for use as a dating tool, and I must say that a lot of that 'propaganda' is promoted by Christian publications/disinformation, such as the link that was provided by psyche earlier.
I am always dubious of these sorts of sites, because I worry at the agenda, the disinformation and the lack of good Science being applied.
There are Scientists who are Christian, or many other faiths for that matter, but Christian Science is a misnomer, intended to mislead people and has nothing to do with Science proper, other than give it a bad name.

Now to the replies:

Quote from: psyche
So no, it is not at all similar to Earth, and the chance of life developing in that kind of habitat is extremely low if not negligible.

That is, of course, only if we are basing our understanding of Life on our knowledge of carbon-based life forms. There may well be other, alien life forms that are unrecognisable, or live outside the habitable zone for carbon-based life.

Let's say that we did discover life on another planet sometime in the future, what type of life do you think it would be? Do you think it would be a sentient, conscious lifeform capable of awareness and cognitive thought? Or would it just be some kind of basic organism? Would they develop emotions like humans have? What exactly are emotions? Are they just an aspect of evolution, or is there something more to it?

It's difficult to say. Again, this is based on our perception of Life, yet there...oh, see my reply above.

Even if they did find some basic living organism on another planet, I don't think that would disprove God, I'm sure there would be some purpose for those organisms to be there.

It wouldn't prove god, either. All it would prove is that Life exists elsewhere in the Multiverse. There doesn't need to be a purpose. chance is a good enough reason for existence. It is for us!

The problem I see with constantly citing scientific research and other 'discoveries' is that, how do you know your source is credible?

Generally speaking, peer-reviewed Scientific research is credible. Knee-jerk, revisionist research with an agenda to derail the Scientific approach is NOT credible.
Yes, Scientists sometimes make mistakes, but they admit them , or carry out more research to find out the cause of the mistake. (This is the basic reply, but it is a good idea to have an understanding of the scientific approach, and the nomenclature/ terminology, especially about terms such as 'Theory'.

There are some scientists who vehemently claim to know the precise age of the Earth, through the study of rocks and other minerals. The problem is their methods of examination aren't necessarily 100% accurate - the tools they use for 'dating' are flawed, and cannot predict the age of something past a certain amount of time, despite their claims that they can merely because it fits in with their explanation of evolution.

See the above links.

So I am inclined to not always take every bit of information I read on the internet or elsewhere at face value, and I am happy that I have the ability to think for myself and develop my own ideas rather than relying constantly on everything someone else says.

Good to hear, still waiting to see it though.

If I am discussing something based on something I have read I don't feel the need to always cite my source of information unless I deem it necessary, why should I?

Intellectual property rights?
Credibility?
Plagiarism?

No matter how far into the future we predict, do you honestly think science will ever be able to explain the existence of the universe, of life, and reality?

Quite possibly. It is the best resource we have for understanding these matters. I can't wait for the results from the Large Hadron Collider, but I know I'm going to have to wait for a long time before they arrive, and I might not even be around. This longitudinal study approach, however, shouldn't stop the inquiry, just because it takes longer than a human lifetime.

I think it's adequate for an insult to be met with an insult in response

No, not at all. Why stoop? (Unless you stoop to conquer....damn, too much Sheridans):disappoin

whereas someone like Ngati can actually participate in the discussion and respond to arguments in a generally decent and intelligent manner rather than resorting to useless remarks that serve no purpose to the discussion whatsoever.

when I was younger we used to tickle trout in the Waihi River. It was amazing! There'd be like 15 of us all with our hands under rocks. I only got a couple, but they were good times.
Other times it was like snarfle lookle attardo fuck cunt.

Quote from: INmOTION
We have only pointed you out for this, and i believe it's only been me and Arnifix who have pulled you up on it

Yes, I've been slack there. Well done you guys.

I was going to suggest this earlier, that this topic could really do with it's own subforum. It's far too broad of a subject to constrain within one massive thread, and it gets a bit confusing discussing multiple different subjects at the same time.

I dunno, there is a bit of merit here, but I don't think it would get any better. I, for one, am enjoying this :rnr:

I am just going to ignore you from now on anyway since you never have anything decent or intelligible to contribute.

Dangerous. Ignorance is bliss, and too easy. I would much rather read all the shit along with the gold, as it helps me make up my mind.

Quote from: cnvrt02
No one has, all it has been about is a childish debate of "i am right, your wrong"

Learn to read. No, seriously, there are some good posts from both sides here which 'prohance' the debate, but there is so much shite as well. Maybe you only look at the shite?

Quote from: INmOTION
I was making a point you nonce

+1 for 'nonce". (when I can rep again...damn, too much!) I haven't heard that for ages!:heheh:

Quote from: Tiwaking!
We believe what we see then we believe our interpretation of it. We dont even know we are making an interpretation most of the time.

Nice quote.
Science is interpretation based on the available facts at the time, and is constantly self-regulating, updating and revising.
Religion is interpretation based on no facts and is constantly self-agrandising, obfuscating and revisionary.

Reply #4709 Posted: March 21, 2008, 10:14:16 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Thank you for that extensive post Ngati. I'd given up yelling at the wall.

I think you know deep inside that your effort will not have got through, but as God seems to have programmed sheer bloody minded persistence into our intelligently designed selves, you've kept trying. respect.

Reply #4710 Posted: March 21, 2008, 10:20:33 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Yes, that may well be, but I find it a good exercise to try and question myself and to follow lines of inquiry. Plus, I'm just plain interested in the topic, and my fiance isn't up yet so I'm bouncing around the house. This helps fill in time, if nothing else!

Reply #4711 Posted: March 21, 2008, 10:29:46 am

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
great post ngati, although i suspect it will be met by the otherside with the usual responses.

Reply #4712 Posted: March 21, 2008, 10:36:49 am

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
FUCK, I just typed up a huge response to your post Ngati, accidentally clicked on the Back button in my browser and lost it all :cussing:

anyone know if there's a way to retrieve the keystrokes from something i've already typed out? Like a keylogger or something?

edit: who's the sad pathetic cretin that actually gave me neg rep for this post? Thefleastyler im guessing? Get a life knobcheese.

Reply #4713 Posted: March 21, 2008, 12:56:22 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Yeah, good post Ngati.
Took me a minute to find the frickin Rep button :D

Reply #4714 Posted: March 21, 2008, 01:17:31 pm

Offline KiLL3r

lol when religion goes terribly, terribly astray

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1408/sickchristiand41b41lv0.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #4715 Posted: March 21, 2008, 01:30:48 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
I had to type this shit all over again,  so it's not as well thought out as my original post but whatever..

You probably shouldn't have bothered going to the effort of explaining the carbon dating thing, I'm not all that in it interested to be honest, I was just trying to use it as an example (probably a bad one) But working in the field of Geology, of course you are going to be adamant that the tools you use are completely accurate, or maintain that appearance when I've heard lots of evidence to the contrary (credible or not, hard to say) Mind you I don't doubt that Earth is millions of years old, the thing that gets me is how some scientists claim to know exactly how the planet was back then, exactly what the landscape/climate was and exactly how everything happened, and ALL of this information from some friggin' rocks and a few other scraps of evidence?! :eek: Come on, we all know that a lot of it is guesswork, estimation and speculation... that's the kind of thing that pisses me off is some scientists trying to force their biased beliefs and explanations on people when in reality they have very little knowledge of how everything happened.

I'm curious, you say you know of a few scientists who are also religious. Do you know any personally, in your field of work? If you do - what's your view on that? Do you think people can logically believe in God and respect science aswell? If not, why?

Quote from: Ngati_Grim;679751
That is, of course, only if we are basing our understanding of Life on our knowledge of carbon-based life forms. There may well be other, alien life forms that are unrecognisable, or live outside the habitable zone for carbon-based life.

If that's the case why hasn't life developed on any of the many planets around us? Some of them have somewhat habitable landscapes for life to develop, yet they are completely barren. I suppose they haven't been fully explored, but still you'd think we would have found something by now. Also it still leaves the question of exactly how any life would even develop in the first place on one of these other planets, that life would still need to have been developed from some kind of cell consisting of DNA/RNA wouldn't it? Otherwise how the hell would it develop from anything? So where would that cell come from, how would it get there and how would it develop into life?

It's difficult to say. Again, this is based on our perception of Life, yet there...oh, see my reply above.

Our perception of life is the only perception of life. Do we not already have non-carbon based lifeforms on Earth?

It wouldn't prove god, either. All it would prove is that Life exists elsewhere in the Multiverse. There doesn't need to be a purpose. chance is a good enough reason for existence. It is for us!

Well, it wouldn't disprove or prove God. Nothing can really, that's what faith is for I guess.

Don't you mean the universe? I didn't realise you had knowledge of universes outside of our own. Amazing.

And chance is why everything exists? I see. So in your mind everything is just one huge random set of coincidences? So the first cell that provided all life just HAPPENED to come to be on Earth, a planet with perfectly adapted conditions for live to survive that just HAPPENS to have a moon and sun that provides a period of night (vital for developement of species) and day (photosynthesis, vital for all plant life to thrive), that cell of DNA/RNA just HAPPENED to know exactly how to develop into life, the Big Bang just HAPPENED to be a random event that shat out an explosion of stars and planets, dark energy and matter for some completely random reason.

Yup, I can definately see how it is believable that the existence of everything comes down to chance.

Generally speaking, peer-reviewed Scientific research is credible. Knee-jerk, revisionist research with an agenda to derail the Scientific approach is NOT credible.
Yes, Scientists sometimes make mistakes, but they admit them , or carry out more research to find out the cause of the mistake. (This is the basic reply, but it is a good idea to have an understanding of the scientific approach, and the nomenclature/ terminology, especially about terms such as 'Theory'.

I disagree. Some scientists have their have their heads stuck so far up their asses that they refuse to admit when there are mistakes or inconsistencies in their work unless someone proves them wrong. Some of them, mind you, not all. I'm sure the majority of scientists realise there are some mysteries to life that cannot be logically explained (the ones that don't have their heads permanently lodged in their preverbial rectums)

Sometimes it's difficult to determine which research isn't done by someone with an agenda (scientists can have agendas too you realise, not just religious people)

I don't really care what the technical jargon term for the definition of 'scientific theory' is - it's estimation and speculation based on evidence, right? BASED on evidence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash science like some people in this thread bash religion, I'm just a bit more cautious about what I accept as fact and what I accept as purely speculation.

Good to hear, still waiting to see it though.

Are you kidding me? You're just being a twat now. I've offered plenty of my own ideas in this thread to be discussed, and I just get shunned and flamed for it so excuse me for not being so encouraged to share my ideas. Atleast I have the ability to think freely instead of following science blindly like some people in this thread (bah, bah kill3r baaah, bah cobra baaaahh)

Intellectual property rights?
Credibility?
Plagiarism?

I give a shit? This is a bloody internet forum man.

Quite possibly. It is the best resource we have for understanding these matters. I can't wait for the results from the Large Hadron Collider, but I know I'm going to have to wait for a long time before they arrive, and I might not even be around. This longitudinal study approach, however, shouldn't stop the inquiry, just because it takes longer than a human lifetime.

lol, so you actually genuinely really believe that scientists might eventually find the answers to the existence of the universe, life and reality? I'll be waiting to hear that one, should be a doooozy

I dunno, there is a bit of merit here, but I don't think it would get any better. I, for one, am enjoying this :rnr:

What's so enjoyable about it? :/

I think it has more than a bit of merit, there's too far too many different topics of discussion to cram into one big like this, and the title of the thread 'Religion VS Science: The ultimate battle'.. quite honestly, is retarded and seems to denote a sense of hostility imo

Dangerous. Ignorance is bliss, and too easy. I would much rather read all the shit along with the gold, as it helps me make up my mind.

Yeah well reading kill3r's posts make me feel like stabbing a rusty fork into my brain, so in this instance ignorance is preferable.

Nice quote.
Science is interpretation based on the available facts at the time, and is constantly self-regulating, updating and revising.
Religion is interpretation based on no facts and is constantly self-agrandising, obfuscating and revisionary.

For me it still comes back to science, all it's laws and everything it studies and seeks to learn, had to come from somewhere right? So I guess you could say, 'it came from the effect of the Big Bang' or something - but it's as if there is something that wanted this all to work, y'know? Or I guess it's your opinion that it's all just a huge coincidence of random events.

I just find the latter to be too unbelievable, even in comparison to the alternatives.

Quote from: KiLL3r;677594
you need to read some books and not get all your answers from wikipedia :disappoin

You need to learn when to stop being a noobie. Obviously I have a bit more knowledge than you as evidenced by your lack of ability to respond to any arguments coherently. There's nothing really wrong with using wikipedia as a source of information either, as the articles are generally a collection of excerpts from and links to various credible sources of information.

Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;679752
Thank you for that extensive post Ngati. I'd given up yelling at the wall.

So what exactly are you, or anyone else for that matter, telling me that is meant to be so damn convincing? Spell it out for me because I sure as hell can't see it.

Reply #4716 Posted: March 21, 2008, 03:50:22 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline KiLL3r

once again everything you said is just what "you think"

you started off well but then you started commenting on how scientist are on what you think rather than facts.

you dont seem to get it though for some reason i doubt science will ever be able to explain :laff:

Reply #4717 Posted: March 21, 2008, 03:54:45 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
I will reply to your post psyche, but at the moment I just want to relax and enjoy the rest of the day. You bring up some interesting points of discussion that I would like to address.
Thanks, at least, for taking the time to repost your reply.
Enjoy your evening, everyone. :sunnies:

Reply #4718 Posted: March 21, 2008, 06:01:39 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Btw, I think this pretty much sums up the non-carbon form of life thing you're talking about:

Carbon is great molecular glue—there’s no doubt about it. Just add water and you’ve got life. Well, maybe it’s not quite that simple, but carbon and water do seem to be a winning combo, at least on planet Earth. That may be why we’ve been limiting ourselves in our search for . The carbon/water combo has worked so well for our own conditions, that we simply can’t imagine anything else supporting life.

Currently, our search for extra-terrestrial life forms has been focused on planets similar to ours. The perplexing idea exists, however, that what would be death to us on Earth, may be life to other beings. What we’re looking for may not lie in our version of the “sweet spot”.

It is definitely worth considering that other options do exist besides water and carbon. Alternative biochemists speculate that there are several atoms and solvents that could potentially spawn life. It is also worth considering that because humans are carbon-based beings, who do their lab work under conditions on planet Earth, we may be a bit biased towards carbon thinking.

Not everyone is a “carbon chauvinist”, however. So far, scientists have already hypothesized several interesting alternatives to carbon. Various elements become more stable and capable of forming complex molecules when under strange (from a human perspective) thermal and atmospheric conditions. For example, silicone-based chemicals would be more stable than equivalent hydrocarbons in a sulphuric-acid-rich setting, which has been noted in some extraterrestrial environments.

Even counter-intuitive elements such as arsenic may be capable of supporting life under the right conditions. Even on Earth some marine algae incorporate arsenic into complex organic molecules such as arsenosugars and arsenobetaines. Several other small life forms use arsenic to generate energy and facilitate growth. Chlorine and sulfur are also possible elemental replacements for carbon. Sulfur is capably of forming long-chain molecules like carbon. Some terrestrial bacteria have already been discovered to survive on sulfur rather than oxygen, by reducing sulfur to hydrogen sulfide.

Nitrogen and phosphorus could also potentially form biochemical molecules. Phosphorus is similar to carbon in that it can form long chain molecules on its own, which would conceivably allow for formation of complex macromolecules. When combined with nitrogen, it can create quite a wide range of molecules, including rings.

So what about water? Isn’t at least water essential to life? Not necessarily. Ammonia, for example, has many of the same properties as water. An ammonia or ammonia-water mixture, stays liquid at much colder temperatures than plain water. Such biochemistries may exist outside the conventional water-based "habitability zone". One exciting example of such a location would be Saturn's largest moon Titan.

Hydrogen fluoride methanol, hydrogen sulfide, hydrogen chloride, and formamide have all been suggested as suitable solvents that could theoretically support alternative biochemistry. All of these “water replacements” have pros and cons when considered in our terrestrial environment. What needs to be considered is that with a radically different environment, comes radically different reactions. Water and carbon might be the very last things capable of supporting life in some extreme planetary conditions. In any case, it is not beyond the realm of feasibility that our first encounter with extra-terrestrial life will not be a solely carbon-based occasion.
 Source

[size=10]THE ALIENS ARE OUT THERE.[/size]

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7633/alienspn5.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Quote from: Tiwaking!;678019
I cant wait for the Romulans to recieve my telepathic signals and save me from this moronic cesspit called 'Earth'. Then I'll finally have one of the tools necessary to render the existence of God moot

uh-oh, a trekkie geek.... better not get you started on aliens

Reply #4719 Posted: March 21, 2008, 07:12:55 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Some interesting reading material about abiogenesis and the origin of life, shows just how unlikely the probability of life existing elsewhere in our universe actually is. I've taken some key excerpts from the article as it's really long.

as much as I hate to quote Dawkins...

The problem of the early evolution of life and the unfounded optimism of scientists was well put by Dawkins.  He concluded that Earth’s chemistry was different on our early, lifeless, planet, and that at this time there existed

...no life, no biology, only physics and chemistry, and the details of the Earth’s chemistry were very different.  Most, though not all, of the informed speculation begins in what has been called the primeval soup, a weak broth of simple organic chemicals in the sea.  Nobody knows how it happened but, somehow, without violating the laws of physics and chemistry, a molecule arose that just happened to have the property of self-copying—a replicator.  This may seem like a big stroke of luck... Freakish or not, this kind of luck does happen... [and] it had to happen only once... What is more, as far as we know, it may have happened on only one planet out of a billion billion planets in the universe.  Of course many people think that it actually happened on lots and lots of planets, but we only have evidence that it happened on one planet, after a lapse of half a billion to a billion years.  So the sort of lucky event we are looking at could be so wildly improbable that the chances of its happening, somewhere in the universe, could be as low as one in a billion billion billion in any one year.  If it did happen on only one planet, anywhere in the universe, that planet has to be our planet—because here we are talking about it (Dawkins, 1996, pp. 282–283, emphasis in original).

The first step in evolution was the development of simple self-copying molecules consisting of carbon dioxide, water and other inorganic compounds.  No one has proven that a simple self-copying molecule can self-generate a compound such as DNA.  Nor has anyone been able to create one in a laboratory or even on paper.  The hypothetical weak “primeval soup” was not like soups experienced by humans but was highly diluted, likely close to pure water.

The process is described as life having originated spontaneously from organic compounds in the oceans of the primitive Earth.  The proposal assumes that primitive oceans contained large quantities of simple organic compounds that reacted to form structures of greater and greater complexity, until there arose a structure that we would call living.  In other words, the first living organism developed by means of a series of nonbiological steps, none of which would be highly improbably on the basis of what is know today.  This theory, [was] first set forth clearly by A.I. Oparin (1938) ... (Newman, 1967, p. 662).

An astounding number of speculations, models, theories and controversies still surround every aspect of the origin of life problem (Lahav 1999).  Although some early scientists proposed that “organic life ... is eternal,” most realized it must have come “into existence at a certain period in the past” (Haeckel, 1905, p. 339).  It now is acknowledged that the first living organism could not have arisen directly from inorganic matter (water, carbon dioxide, and other inorganic nutrients) even as a result of some extraordinary event.  Before the explosive growth of our knowledge of the cell during the last 30 years, it was known that “the simplest bacteria are extremely complex, and the chances of their arising directly from inorganic materials, with no steps in between, are too remote to consider seriously.” (Newman, 1967, p. 662).  Most major discoveries about cell biology and molecular biology have been made since then.

For the close followers of Darwin..

Darwin evidentially recognized how serious the abiogenesis problem was for his theory, and once even conceded that all existing terrestrial life must have descended from some primitive life form that was called into life “by the Creator” (1900, p. 316).  But to admit, as Darwin did, the possibility of one or a few creations is to open the door to the possibility of many or even thousands!  If God made one animal type, He also could have made two or many thousands of different types.  No contemporary hypothesis today has provided a viable explanation as to how the abiogenesis origin of life could occur by naturalistic means.  The problems are so serious that the majority of evolutionists today tend to shun the whole subject of abiogenesis.

Jerry Bergman has seven degrees, including in biology, psychology, and evaluation and research, from Wayne State University, in Detroit, Bowling Green State University in Ohio, and Medical College of Ohio in Toledo. He currently teaches biology, microbiology, biochemistry, and human anatomy at the college level and is a research associate involved in research in the area of cancer genetics.  He has published widely in both popular and scientific journals

More

lots more interesting info in this article for those that card to read :)

Reply #4720 Posted: March 21, 2008, 11:54:48 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Some interesting reading material about abiogenesis and the origin of life, shows just how unlikely the probability of life existing elsewhere in our universe actually is. I've taken some key excerpts from the article as it's considerably long.

as much as I hate to quote Richard Dawkins...

The problem of the early evolution of life and the unfounded optimism of scientists was well put by Dawkins.  He concluded that Earth’s chemistry was different on our early, lifeless, planet, and that at this time there existed

...no life, no biology, only physics and chemistry, and the details of the Earth’s chemistry were very different.  Most, though not all, of the informed speculation begins in what has been called the primeval soup, a weak broth of simple organic chemicals in the sea.  Nobody knows how it happened but, somehow, without violating the laws of physics and chemistry, a molecule arose that just happened to have the property of self-copying—a replicator.  This may seem like a big stroke of luck... Freakish or not, this kind of luck does happen... [and] it had to happen only once... What is more, as far as we know, it may have happened on only one planet out of a billion billion planets in the universe.  Of course many people think that it actually happened on lots and lots of planets, but we only have evidence that it happened on one planet, after a lapse of half a billion to a billion years.  So the sort of lucky event we are looking at could be so wildly improbable that the chances of its happening, somewhere in the universe, could be as low as one in a billion billion billion in any one year.  If it did happen on only one planet, anywhere in the universe, that planet has to be our planet—because here we are talking about it (Dawkins, 1996, pp. 282–283, emphasis in original).

The first step in evolution was the development of simple self-copying molecules consisting of carbon dioxide, water and other inorganic compounds.  No one has proven that a simple self-copying molecule can self-generate a compound such as DNA.  Nor has anyone been able to create one in a laboratory or even on paper.  The hypothetical weak “primeval soup” was not like soups experienced by humans but was highly diluted, likely close to pure water.

The process is described as life having originated spontaneously from organic compounds in the oceans of the primitive Earth.  The proposal assumes that primitive oceans contained large quantities of simple organic compounds that reacted to form structures of greater and greater complexity, until there arose a structure that we would call living.  In other words, the first living organism developed by means of a series of nonbiological steps, none of which would be highly improbably on the basis of what is know today.  This theory, [was] first set forth clearly by A.I. Oparin (1938) ... (Newman, 1967, p. 662).

An astounding number of speculations, models, theories and controversies still surround every aspect of the origin of life problem (Lahav 1999).  Although some early scientists proposed that “organic life ... is eternal,” most realized it must have come “into existence at a certain period in the past” (Haeckel, 1905, p. 339).  It now is acknowledged that the first living organism could not have arisen directly from inorganic matter (water, carbon dioxide, and other inorganic nutrients) even as a result of some extraordinary event.  Before the explosive growth of our knowledge of the cell during the last 30 years, it was known that “the simplest bacteria are extremely complex, and the chances of their arising directly from inorganic materials, with no steps in between, are too remote to consider seriously.” (Newman, 1967, p. 662).

For the close followers of Darwin..

Darwin evidentially recognized how serious the abiogenesis problem was for his theory, and once even conceded that all existing terrestrial life must have descended from some primitive life form that was called into life “by the Creator” (1900, p. 316).  But to admit, as Darwin did, the possibility of one or a few creations is to open the door to the possibility of many or even thousands!  If God made one animal type, He also could have made two or many thousands of different types.  No contemporary hypothesis today has provided a viable explanation as to how the abiogenesis origin of life could occur by naturalistic means.  The problems are so serious that the majority of evolutionists today tend to shun the whole subject of abiogenesis.

Jerry Bergman has seven degrees, including in biology, psychology, and evaluation and research, from Wayne State University, in Detroit, Bowling Green State University in Ohio, and Medical College of Ohio in Toledo. He currently teaches biology, microbiology, biochemistry, and human anatomy at the college level and is a research associate involved in research in the area of cancer genetics.  He has published widely in both popular and scientific journals

More (references at bottom of page)

lots more interesting info in this article for those that care to read :)

Reply #4721 Posted: March 21, 2008, 11:57:13 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
look science doesn't have the answer to the beginning of life, so yea you'll find scientists telling you why they don't, what the issues they don't understand are.

guess what you don't either.
it's not terrribly hard to pick apart a story about clay / ribs apples & talking snakes.

unless of course you'd rather provide no details and satisfy your own mind with "god did it"

and everything you've typed was covered at least once, including carbon/radio dating. probably 100 pages ago.

heres a question, assuming you beleive the creation stories, was the garden of eden a perfect paradise?, emphasis on perfect.

Reply #4722 Posted: March 22, 2008, 01:02:47 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
genitals covered with fig leaves? hardly perfect.

Reply #4723 Posted: March 22, 2008, 11:59:39 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
I'm curious, you say you know of a few scientists who are also religious. Do you know any personally, in your field of work? If you do - what's your view on that? Do you think people can logically believe in God and respect science aswell? If not, why?

Science has nothing to say about God. The scientific method is nothing more than a way to measure reality as independently of our own subjective fantasies as possible.

Assume an entity created this universe as an experiment and set initial conditions (the physical laws the objective universe functions under) to see what happened, then left it to run, evolution and all. That is completely compatible with the objective universe as revealed by the scientific method.

A micromanaging god who made humans and watches all they do, and rewards and punishes them with some unmeasurable and mystical life after death, based on whether they behave according to the tenets of some crappily written and highly contradictory old book from a few thousand years ago...

Now that dribble is incompatible with the objective universe and the scientific method

Reply #4724 Posted: March 23, 2008, 10:01:29 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here