Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: - NicK -
There are those in Christianity who believe that the world existed for a long time before the advent of man (probably believing thus because of the apparent discrepancy between the times put forward for the beginning of the earth). This is referred to as the 'pre-Adamite' world.

Genesis states that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." However it is sometimes translated to "...Now the earth became formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep...." This version implies a world before the creation of man and all the creatures we know today. Perhaps this world had it's own creatures; perhaps dinosaurs were of that world, not ours. It also speaks of it being submerged and being made formless, or worn down. It could have been that Noah's was not the only flood God inflicted upon this rock. If the water wore down the earth 'til it was formless, would that not have created a great deal of sediment? This story also provides creationism with a very flexible timeline, as it makes creation of present life unrelated to the formation of the earth itself.

Keep in mind the above is pure conjecture.

that could actually "fit" with my reality providing that the earth became dark and formless after a cataclysmic event such as a asteroid strike which started an iceage which would reduce the species of earth down to acceptable population levels to allow for evolution to occur.

Maybe this is how it happened, and religion is mankinds way of "chinese whispering" the event.

Reply #475 Posted: April 25, 2006, 09:52:34 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Space Monkey
Plus, where would enough water come from in order to flood the world?

an asteroid hitting the ocean would make a pretty big flood.

Reply #476 Posted: April 25, 2006, 09:54:29 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: - NicK -
There are those in Christianity who believe that the world existed for a long time before the advent of man (probably believing thus because of the apparent discrepancy between the times put forward for the beginning of the earth). This is referred to as the 'pre-Adamite' world.

Genesis states that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." However it is sometimes translated to "...Now the earth became formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep...." This version implies a world before the creation of man and all the creatures we know today. Perhaps this world had it's own creatures; perhaps dinosaurs were of that world, not ours. It also speaks of it being submerged and being made formless, or worn down. It could have been that Noah's was not the only flood God inflicted upon this rock. If the water wore down the earth 'til it was formless, would that not have created a great deal of sediment? This story also provides creationism with a very flexible timeline, as it makes creation of present life unrelated to the formation of the earth itself.

Keep in mind the above is pure conjecture.

Nick, bro, it's an interesting idea, but it'll never go down. Creationists like JayKay won't even believe the more reasonable creation theories that are readily avaliable. They believe what they believe based on their own interpretation of the bible/brainwashing. Nothing we can do about it.

Though I hadn't heard of this theory before. All the Old-Earth creation theories that I've dealt with pretty much skipped over the whole Eden portion of the bible as being a "moral" story, though it's more just a way to control women imho.

Reply #477 Posted: April 26, 2006, 06:00:13 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Most religions are about controlling people, women especially.

It may not be why  they started, but it's how they turned out.

Christian marriage is a good example.

It's been watered down now, but it's mostly about male property rights.

Reply #478 Posted: April 26, 2006, 06:15:13 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Zarkov
Most religions are about controlling people, women especially.

It may not be why  they started, but it's how they turned out.

Christian marriage is a good example.

It's been watered down now, but it's mostly about male property rights.

Did you get dewormed today or something?

I know that, I was more mentioning it specifically.

Reply #479 Posted: April 26, 2006, 08:43:43 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
  • laurasaur has no influence.

Reply #480 Posted: April 30, 2006, 01:53:28 pm
:violin:

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
Quote from: laurasaur
http://www.dailysixer.com/godbanana.shtml

You believe that rubbish? seriously? your that brainwashed?

ZOMG!!! carrots are shaped for easier eating to! and they have green bits ontop so we can see them!!!! OMG!!!! oh and peas! they are round so we can scoop them up to eat!!!!

Reply #481 Posted: April 30, 2006, 02:25:32 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

Reply #482 Posted: April 30, 2006, 02:25:44 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Bananas fit in our hand is not proof of intelligent design. Suggesting it is so is a rather simplistic explanation to the development of the banana imo, i can only assume you were posting that as a laugh.

Also, people that believe in a religion will always use the religion to explain things because to their brain there is no other possible alternative. The brain literally is physically unable to comprehend the alternative. I'll post more on this later.

Reply #483 Posted: April 30, 2006, 03:22:55 pm

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
oh..my..goodness lol i was posting that as a joke!!
ROFL!!
hahahahah

Reply #484 Posted: April 30, 2006, 06:18:50 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
"It has a point at the top for ease of entry". Nuff said.

Quote from: laurasaur
oh..my..goodness lol i was posting that as a joke!!
ROFL!!
hahahahah

You have to say when it's a joke. Nobody can tell anymore.  :007:

Reply #485 Posted: April 30, 2006, 06:47:32 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I knew it was a joke.

All you other guys are just dumb.

Reply #486 Posted: April 30, 2006, 07:09:24 pm

Offline laurasaur

• Addicted
lol omg, i think i let jonny post on my account too much :(

Reply #487 Posted: April 30, 2006, 07:09:42 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
i did say "i can only assume you are posting that as a laugh"

but i still intend to have a mini rant about brainwashing when i get the time.

Reply #488 Posted: April 30, 2006, 09:03:56 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
the funny thing is even though its funny after all i have read from you guys i wouldnt be surprised when you watch it you 'oh yeah'

Reply #489 Posted: April 30, 2006, 09:15:31 pm

Offline Arnifix

Recently, these forums have given me many good laughs, so I thought I'd add something to the rofflepot.
Penn and Teller google video on Creationism

Reply #490 Posted: September 09, 2006, 09:13:16 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Watched it right through, but was distracted by how fat religious people are.

God created them in his image.

Laura's not fat.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

Reply #491 Posted: September 09, 2006, 10:02:03 pm

Offline Arnifix

They're the kind of people who'd be offended when you told them that Jesus was an arab.

Anyway Z-cat/Ming, what're you doin' lurking about at this time of night? I would've thought it was long past time for Zarkov to retire to his basket and Ming to his harem of lusty space babes.

Reply #492 Posted: September 09, 2006, 10:03:42 pm

From http://forums.iconzarena.co.nz/showthread.php?t=15097&page=2

I have read the entire Revelation chapter, I quite enjoyed it, exciting stuff, but I hardly think that any of the events prophesied will be coming true in the near future.

I believed that 2000 years ago a man named Jesus walked the Earth, and he was a pretty good guy, also pretty important, and I myself believe he was divine in someway and could perform miracles and did rise from the dead, but I highy doubt he will be seeing him again any time soon.

Then again it could also be possible that Jesus came from the future, and what people observed as miracles were just the effect of the futuristic technology that Jesus brought back with him.

I am comfortable with what I believe in and have no need to try to convince other people of my beliefs, I think everyone needs to work out on their own what they believe in.

Reply #493 Posted: September 11, 2006, 08:46:58 pm

Quote from: Boob Johnson

The very fact that more than 300 prophecies were written about Jesus coming (the first time) and were all (obviously now) true. Some were written HUNDREDS of years prior.

I believe those prophecies, because I believe in Jesus, not that I would call myself a Christian, because I think many Christians are crazy and would rather not be associated with them.

However no where in Revelation (if they are the prophecies you are referring to) can I find any indication of them coming true any time soon, of course that only my interpretation.

Reply #494 Posted: September 11, 2006, 08:54:08 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Simon_NZ
sediment build up etc, plate movement etc

FFS Simon, the dinosaurs there isnt proof against creationalist theory, the remains were put there to test our belief :rolleyes:

Reply #495 Posted: September 11, 2006, 09:26:11 pm

Offline robbyx

• Addicted
  • robbyx has no influence.
If there is a god , hes an insane psyhcopath,what the hell sort of god would create
an animal like a tiger that has to rip another living creature limb from limb
just in order to survive, is this how god gets his jollies ?
what about famine, floods and other natuaral disasters
man has nothing to do with these things, its all gods handy work.
by starving some poor little black kid to death what lesson is he trying to teach
us, that hes a cruel vindictive asshole ....lesson learned.
No, religon is for weak minded fools who cant handle the reality of mortality
they need something to believe in to explain the absurdity of life.
they just cant handle the fact that one day you will just ...die
and that will be it , no after life, no heaven no nothing.
tough fact to live with but get over it coz thats the way it is.
btw if there is a god and i ever meet him....i will kick his face in
and take over the running of the universe coz from what i have seen so far
hes farkn crapand an evil sadistic piece of shit . ...whew rant over now

Reply #496 Posted: September 11, 2006, 10:46:03 pm

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: robbyx
badly formatted paragraph from hell

If there is a god he'd make you use more punctuation.

Reply #497 Posted: September 11, 2006, 10:49:10 pm

Quote from: robbyx
Load of bullshit

God didn't starve poor little black kids to death, humans did as a result of over grazing the land and over populating the Earth beyond it's capacity.

Natural disasters are natural, sure it sucks if you get killed by one, but shit happens, it's not Gods way of punishing us, it's just a natural disaster.

If God exists, you can't blame him for all bad stuff that happens.

Reply #498 Posted: September 11, 2006, 10:59:10 pm

Offline robbyx

• Addicted
  • robbyx has no influence.
yea i know mate , ranting makes me lose all sense of punctuation

Reply #499 Posted: September 11, 2006, 10:59:37 pm