Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
psyche does one thing really well. In fact he wins at it.

He keeps this thread amusing and he keeps you guys replying. I mean heck - he even got me to bother writing this now....

Other than that...just more of the same imo. There have been flashes of worthwhile conversation...but the psyche has drowned them. Possibly not unprovoked, but still, can't fight fire with fire.

/ramble

Reply #4875 Posted: March 26, 2008, 10:02:05 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quantity over quality? I hear that's how the best debates are won.

Reply #4876 Posted: March 26, 2008, 10:16:37 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline cnvrt02

• Addicted
  • cnvrt02 has no influence.
i really don't know why you lot bother with this thread, why don't you make a thread about the chicken or the egg eh?

i assume it would solve alot more than this thread ever could.

Reply #4877 Posted: March 26, 2008, 10:38:03 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: cnvrt02;682885
i really don't know why you lot bother with this thread, why don't you make a thread about the chicken or the egg eh?

i assume it would solve alot more than this thread ever could.

And what exactly do you think this thread is trying to solve ? It's a discussion, a place in which points of a chosen topic are discussed, there is no end result.

It's not the Geneva Convention.

Reply #4878 Posted: March 26, 2008, 10:40:23 pm

Offline cnvrt02

• Addicted
  • cnvrt02 has no influence.
Quote from: INmOTION;682888
And what exactly do you think this thread is trying to solve ? It's a discussion, a place in which points of a chosen topic are discussed, there is no end result.

It's not the Geneva Convention.

A discussion would be a civil conversation, where as both sides are open minded and can talk like they are not fresh out of high school.

This thread is a just a fucking flame fest.

p.s not directed at you inmoition, as you seem to be able to have a civil conversation with out attacking someone, well in this thread anyway.

Reply #4879 Posted: March 26, 2008, 10:56:27 pm

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: NZJeebs;682601

Just as an aside, how many of you have read the bible or any other religious texts?

I haven't read the book from cover to cover, I mean have you ever held a nice Authorized King James version? It weighs a ton. (just a side note, authorized does not mean authentic)

Quote from: psyche;682676
there is a lot of historical evidence surrounding the Bible, and the recountings are from real people in our history, and since it is written by so many people all telling the same thing, I don't think it would be fair to instantly dismiss it as a bunch of crazy loons writing fictional stories for shits and giggles.

We have a very mysterious ancient history, and unless you were actually there I don't think it would be good to critisize any of it.

Also, if anything else, one of the good things about the Bible from what i've seen is that the scriptures are very good and wise teachings of character, morals, love of your fellow man, respect and appreciation of nature, ect. ect. and so forth. To be honest, if more people followed the teachings of the Bible the world would be a much happier place.

Not trying to convince you or anything, but yeah just remember it is an ancient, sacred book with a lot of deep meaning to it (both literal and non-literal) and historical evidence to support a lot of it, so it would probably be a bit more wise to respect it rather than critisize it, mainly because you have no basis with which to critisize it.

The Torah and its offspring are the books that without doubt should be criticized, poked at and questioned. Everything that history mentions the bible does not mention and everything that the bible mentions, history does not mention. It's like the stories in these books just fell out of the sky straight off another planet. King David and his son king Solomon, the most celebrated monarchs of that time, with power, gold and land, with armies and weapons, and not to mention an endless supply of ladies ta-boot. Yet no historical writings?(other then the bible) or archaeological evidence for these two super weights. How can this be?

It is true that some of the teachings in the bible although originally pagan of cause, will guide a person who is looking for help but the problem is that it is jam packed with danger for the mind, soul and body, thus the constant stream of religious fanatics not only in our time but right throughout history.

Quote from: psyche;682720

Also the story of David & Goliath was in the city of Babylon wasn't it?

Another plagiarzed story coming straight off an Egyptian papyrus, look into it. The story may have been used by biblical scribes to add to and enhance David's traits.

Quote from: KiLL3r;682708
the bible is terrible at recounting history accurately. On friday night i watched the history channel show "Riddles of the bible"

I've seen that series. Shit like that will sow some bad seeds no matter where you stand.

Quote from: Ngati_Grim;682759
I am, also, a thinking, creative, empathic human being who questions his own existence and seeks knowledge.

I like that. To question your own existence will eventually put you face to face with a truth what ever it may be and it could so well be something you will not accept or find hard to face. That's if you are truely seeking.

Reply #4880 Posted: March 27, 2008, 02:17:36 am
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;682433
Newton also famously said "I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me", knowing that he didn't have all the answers. No-one does.

There is a clear and distinct difference between believng you are correct and respecting others' opinions. Turning around and saying someones post is "shit" or referring to people as ignorant morons is nothing more than an attack designed to infuriate them - which is an action detrimental to the fair rules of discussion. Thats all I'm trying to point out. Had you gone about this differently, by backing up your points and conceding when/where necessary, this discussion would be thriving right now.

Thanks mate :D

flea - we dont agree but i like you

maybe the beer talking

Reply #4881 Posted: March 27, 2008, 03:59:06 am

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: cnvrt02;682904
A discussion would be a civil conversation, where as both sides are open minded and can talk like they are not fresh out of high school.

This thread is a just a fucking flame fest.

p.s not directed at you inmoition, as you seem to be able to have a civil conversation with out attacking someone, well in this thread anyway.

i wouldnt expect you to understand this discussion since it requires people to think.

Reply #4882 Posted: March 27, 2008, 07:58:58 am

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;683058
i wouldnt expect you to understand this discussion since it requires people to think.

I think you just proved that he is actually right in this case.

Reply #4883 Posted: March 27, 2008, 09:13:11 am
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline GoatSlayer

• Devoted Member
  • GoatSlayer has no influence.
Quote from: krasher;683089
I think you just proved that he is actually right in this case.

Don't disagree with Killer, he might put you on his ignore list! And on that note prehaps he should check the relationship between the words "ignore" and "ignorant"

Reply #4884 Posted: March 27, 2008, 01:12:44 pm

Q: What is a gentleman?
A: A man who can play the accordion, but doesn\'t.

Offline KiLL3r

what! people defending cnvrt oh wait they have an agenda nvm :)

Reply #4885 Posted: March 27, 2008, 05:48:49 pm

Offline GoatSlayer

• Devoted Member
  • GoatSlayer has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;683455
what! people defending cnvrt oh wait they have an agenda nvm :)

What agenda?

Reply #4886 Posted: March 28, 2008, 01:37:28 am

Q: What is a gentleman?
A: A man who can play the accordion, but doesn\'t.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Business Owners, Customers, Unicorns Upset Over Controversial Billboard

"When you condemn all religions and say they are a fairytale that is wrong," said Rich Stormes, a nearby business owner.

The billboard went up a week before Easter and business at the restaurant went down. "Easter Sunday is usually a busy good day," said John Russel, an employee at Straub's. "Easter Sunday business was down by two thirds."

MediaNet said it had no idea the sign was there and someone put it up illegally in the middle of the night.

The billboard rents for $1,400 a month. If an anti-religious group paid to rent it legitimately there is no telling how long it would have been up.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/782/15734259oy2.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #4887 Posted: March 30, 2008, 09:01:59 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.

Reply #4888 Posted: April 02, 2008, 12:09:35 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
One day we will find the little green martians and UFO's on Mars, eh Ngati !

Reply #4889 Posted: April 02, 2008, 12:52:40 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: psyche;687343

more chance of that then finding god - at least mars exists

Reply #4890 Posted: April 02, 2008, 01:12:41 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: psyche;687343

No, not an H.G. Wellsian vision, but one that is entirely possible if you remove the little green men and UFOs bit. The point being that there may have been primitive life on Mars at some stage. We are only just upping the ante re: exploration of Mars so it may take some time, but I reckon, given enough time, that there may well be some evidence of Life in the Multiverse, outside of Earth.

Reply #4891 Posted: April 02, 2008, 01:25:29 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;687303
But it's only research, not gospel, so beware

If its not gospel I can't read it, sorry.

j/k :D

Reply #4892 Posted: April 02, 2008, 01:31:16 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
So where are we now I left this thread 100 pages ago so im abit behind.
Has everyone reached a middle ground and become content in thier and others beliefs?

Reply #4893 Posted: April 02, 2008, 02:00:30 pm

Offline DDM

• Addicted
  • DDM has no influence.
About 60 pages of this is psyche quoting wikipedia and crazy religious people then abusing people who have alternate views.

Reply #4894 Posted: April 02, 2008, 02:08:20 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
Quote from: DDM;687392
About 60 pages of this is psyche quoting wikipedia and crazy religious people then abusing people who have alternate views.

It's morons like you that make this forum shit.

Reply #4895 Posted: April 02, 2008, 02:11:54 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;687366
If its not gospel I can't read it, sorry.

j/k :D

See, Flea's got the idea. We may not always agree, but we can disagree with humour, or without trading insult. Nice one....you give this thread hope! :sunnies:

whereas:
Quote from: psyche

this is just typical of the timbre of reply we have grown to expect. :finger:

Reply #4896 Posted: April 02, 2008, 03:14:22 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!

Reply #4897 Posted: April 02, 2008, 11:35:28 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: psyche;687394

sometimes i wonder if you aren't in fact an idiot but just taking the piss - have you ever read your own posts?

any one read about those crazy christians in russia - i hope no one has a credit card or uses bar codes if they want to go to heaven

Reply #4898 Posted: April 03, 2008, 01:45:43 am

Offline KiLL3r

http://christiannews.co.nz/

for some reason the admins here wont allow any of my comments :disappoin

Reply #4899 Posted: April 16, 2008, 07:54:05 pm