Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
"We now return to our regular scheduled programming - The 'Cut The Bleeding Heart Crap FFS' Show with your host, the entire IconzArena community!"

Reply #4925 Posted: April 17, 2008, 04:15:27 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: psyche;699426
Yet you seem to think the Big Bang explains everything.

Pfft, you're as much of a joke as kill3r. Out of my intellectual depth? You can't even spell 'concepts' mate.

THis coming from someone who doesn't know the difference between Darwin and Dawkins.

That's all you know how to do is insult people, you can't come up with any intelligent arguments at all just like kill3r, it's unbelievably pathetic.

He probably learnt it from you.

This thread is a waste of my time, i'll let you guys get back to the usual boring old religion bashing since that's all you know how to do.

I have honestly lost count the amount of times you said you have given up on this thread due to that everyone here seems to be dumber than you.

Just shove off already and give it up for good.

Reply #4926 Posted: April 17, 2008, 04:30:29 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Yeah.

Stop arguing with him and let him go for crying out loud.

Reply #4927 Posted: April 17, 2008, 04:39:14 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;699268

l2quantum physics

Lawl, +rep.

Quote from: psyche;699414

I'll admit, i'm as confused what anyone else is, but I find it a bit disconcerting that some people seem to be relying only scientific knowledge to try and explain the existence of the universe, you have to admit that.. science came from somewhere, and I think the ultimate goal of science to try and explain the existence of everything using soley the rules of science... just isn't going to happen, I think it's a futile effort in all honesty and I hope the scientific community will some day realise this and start admitting that there are some things we can't realistically explain using the method of science... I have no problem with them trying of course, my problem is more with the saps like Kill3r and Cobra who are blinded and mislead by these modern neo-darwinist fanatical atheists who are preaching their own biased, miscontrued views that there is no purpose to anything, we exist by accident, "science will explain everything", and encouraged to express hatred towards religious people, anyone who believes in God or anyone who even mentions anything about the universe being designed or created, supposedly because it's 'holding back science', which is a crock of shit.

If it doesn't come from rational thought, but rather from a  'gutly' intuition that a God makes thigns easier, it's pretty much a pointless exercise in giving up onthe effort of finding out what happened and redirecting all your energies in trying to prove your baseless point.  The issue we hold is not against your conclusion, but the way you intellectually sell out and introduce a God because it's simpler.

Quote from: psyche;699414

The implications of a Darwinism-type belief on society, would mean we can wipe out entire races of "inferior" people and animals, and think nothing of it. Mass genocide? Sweet as. Sounds like a world run by Hitler, sounds like a world I would not want to live in.

I'm sorry, but hwo did we make the jump from evolution to genocide?  And in either case, isn't that more typically done in the name of one of the thousands of 'one true God's?  You've made the mistake (once again) of saying 'I don't like the conclusions, so I don't accept your answer - something you accuse others of, and deny you do.  Answer me this, do you like the fact that you're going to die, and if not, does your reaction to the fact make it any less true Psyche?

I only hope that people like kill3r, Cobra, ect. will realise that there is more to life than science, if you seek answers to our existence.. I would say science is quite probably the wrong place to look. But who knows, we all have our own beliefs and ideas, maybe one day one of them will be proven. Until then I am going to keep expanding my knowledge, and will continue to believe that life was created with some kind of purpose, mostly because it is the most plausible explanation in my mind and based on what I am learning, and because I have nothing to lose by leading a good life and believing in God, i'd take eternal bliss over non-existence any day thankyouverymuch.

There is a special place for rational thought and reasoning, about logical and even illogical emotive things.  The issue is when you place your intuitions and wishes in the same place as them.  Have them, by all means, we all do, but don't try and say that they are worthy of belief, or trump true reasoning, would you accept it if anyone did the same?

P.S. called you on being religious - which you've denied science knows how many times. Snap.

Yet you seem to think the Big Bang explains everything.

Pfft, you're as much of a joke as kill3r. Out of my intellectual depth? You can't even spell 'concepts' mate. That's all you know how to do is insult people, you can't come up with any intelligent arguments at all just like kill3r, it's unbelievably pathetic.

This thread is a waste of my time, i'll let you guys get back to the usual boring old religion bashing since that's all you know how to do.

The big bang explains a lot, especially when married with someone who has "l2quantum physics".  

Also, IMO when Cobra makes arguments they are typically very intelligent and well formed .  Typos don't indercate aa lack of untelligance.

Reply #4928 Posted: April 17, 2008, 04:50:00 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!

The implications of a Darwinism-type belief on society, would mean we can wipe out entire races of "inferior" people and animals, and think nothing of it. Mass genocide? Sweet as. Sounds like a world run by Hitler, sounds like a world I would not want to live in.

I've never understood where the hell this argument comes from. it is way past strawman, and so far beyond fatuous, that a new word is almost needed.

If I wanted a moral code that implied you should wipe out lesser or unfavoured peoples wholesale, I'd start with the Bible.

Reply #4929 Posted: April 17, 2008, 04:51:19 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
Quote from: INmOTION;699458
THis coming from someone who doesn't know the difference between Darwin and Dawkins.

I don't know the difference between Richard Dawkins and Charles Darwin? Because I made a mistake and typed Charles Dawkins? Grow up.

I have honestly lost count the amount of times you said you have given up on this thread due to that everyone here seems to be dumber than you.

It's not that I think people are dumber than me, it's the fact that no-one seems to be willing to listen to, or discuss anything i'm talking about without falling back on the ol' 'science knows everything' catch-all argument. Quite honestly, it limits the discussion if no one is allowed to discuss ideas outside the field of science without being insulted for it, and so the discussion reverts to the same old religion-bashing routine which is boring, and I don't want to stick around for that.

Just shove off already and give it up for good.

Why the fuck should I? I have the freedom to post at this forum as much as anyone else. Atleast I actually add some worth to the discussion instead of just being a useless waste of space that does nothing but harass other users like yourself. If you have no interest in discussing these things, why bother posting in this thread at all!?

Quote from: philo-sofa;699474
If it doesn't come from rational thought, but rather from a  'gutly' intuition that a God makes thigns easier, it's pretty much a pointless exercise in giving up onthe effort of finding out what happened and redirecting all your energies in trying to prove your baseless point.  The issue we hold is not against your conclusion, but the way you intellectually sell out and introduce a God because it's simpler.

So where does this 'gutly intuition' even come from? Why do humans have such a connection to "God", even before we discovered the universe was created instead of infinite as some atheists of the time believed? Let me guess, you'll just say it's because of evolution, and it all just happened through the process of evolution and sheer coincidence. Some of the greatest scientific and philosophical minds have described God as the cause of existence, did they all come to that conclusion just because it "makes it simple" aswell?

It's not that it makes things "simple", as i've already explained it is the most plausible explanation in my mind, based on what I have learnt so far. I don't care if you disagree, I probably disagree with a lot of your Nietschze-inspired beliefs, and probably so do a lot of other people. But that's because no-one has the answers we seek, so we can only really go by our "gut instinct", and i'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I just enjoy discussing these things, but the discussion always seems to go downhill become someone has to bitch about instead of contributing to the discussion :disappoin

I'm sorry, but hwo did we make the jump from evolution to genocide?  And in either case, isn't that more typically done in the name of one of the thousands of 'one true God's?  You've made the mistake (once again) of saying 'I don't like the conclusions, so I don't accept your answer - something you accuse others of, and deny you do.  Answer me this, do you like the fact that you're going to die, and if not, does your reaction to the fact make it any less true Psyche?

To say that any of the biblical accounts justify killing other people is wrong. You know this, I know this, yet you choose to bring it up anyway. You should know the bible teaches to love and respect your fellow man, no matter what skin color or race they are. I don't know about other religions though, from what I know the Koran is a rather violence-inspired piece of literature, but not suprising considering their "prophet" Muhammed was a violent warlord.

"Answer me this, do you like the fact that you're going to die, and if not, does your reaction to the fact make it any less true Psyche?

The physical body dies, this is known fact. But what of the mind, the so-called "soul"? The mind, and your own individual personality cannot be explained by science, it's all a big mystery. The brain can be explained, by the mind cannot be explained by science because the mind isn't physical, it isn't observable, therefore according to science it doesn't exist, yet it does.

It's possible that when the brain dies, the mind shuts down. But it's also equally possible that it does not, and something else happens. We can only speculate.

To answer your question: no, I do not look forward to dying. Why would I? I am enjoying life on earth thus far, but I think as I get older I will probably accept death without being afraid. Death is a natural part of life. I know something happens after you die, I don't know what... but I'm pretty sure you don't just "cease to exist"

There is a special place for rational thought and reasoning, about logical and even illogical emotive things.  The issue is when you place your intuitions and wishes in the same place as them.  Have them, by all means, we all do, but don't try and say that they are worthy of belief, or trump true reasoning, would you accept it if anyone did the same?

Why should we accept what ANYONE says? Why do you accept what Dawkins says? Why do you accept what the government says? Am I not as entitled to an opinion as everyone else? FFS...

P.S. called you on being religious - which you've denied science knows how many times. Snap.

Why would it matter if I was religious or not? Would that somehow make me inferior to you? Would it make me less worthy of participating in a discussion? I don't get it..

The big bang explains a lot, especially when married with someone who has "l2quantum physics".

The Big Bang theory doesn't say what banged, why it banged, or what was before it banged. How does quantum physics supposedly explain these mysteries? I know you can't explain what came before the Big Bang, so don't say you can. I could go and learn quantum physics, but it's not going do anything to solve the mysteries of the universe that we all seek..

Also, IMO when Cobra makes arguments they are typically very intelligent and well formed .  Typos don't indercate aa lack of untelligance.

You call his arguments intelligent? Meh, whatever. I don't see him actually discussing anything, just stuck with the usual, repetitive notion that somehow science explains everything, and not willing to think about anything outside that very limited frame of mind. Maybe he should l2philosophy?

Reply #4930 Posted: April 17, 2008, 05:40:44 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: psyche;699313
lol.. pathetic.

Your entire belief is in the Big Bang, but you don't even care to think what came before the Big Bang, what caused the Big Bang, or why? :sly:

Like I said, if you restrict yourself only to the limited contraints of science, you're never going to discover anything deeper than how certain things in the universe work. And that is, I think, a sad thing.

Learn to walk before you run.

Reply #4931 Posted: April 17, 2008, 05:48:09 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Hahahaha, you're a night at the theatre, psyche.

So, when are you actually going to bugger off? After the countless times you have told us you are going to do so?

Or are you expecting that you are going to get the last say whenever you pull out the old "waa waa, you guys don't understand my awesome thinking"?

You're a broken record being played on a broken record player.

And to be honest, psysche, i'm actually discussing a LOT more than you are. Haha.

Reply #4932 Posted: April 17, 2008, 06:37:27 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Let me preface this by saying that you are either very conveniently stupid, or you feel no need to be honest or actually answer anything anyone says.  I doubt you're stupid, you just feel backed into a corner, or convinced of the rightness of proving your point by whatever means is neccesary.  Come out and meet me in honestyville and I'll reciprocate, you must know that by now.

Anyways so as to forestall somewhat your desire to twist something like a politician and reintrepret the question I'll be as short as possible.

Quote from: psyche;699503
So where does this 'gutly intuition' even come from? Why do humans have such a connection to "God", even before we discovered the universe was created instead of infinite as some atheists of the time believed? Let me guess, you'll just say it's because of evolution, and it all just happened through the process of evolution and sheer coincidence. Some of the greatest scientific and philosophical minds have described God as the cause of existence, did they all come to that conclusion just because it "makes it simple" aswell?

Some of them came to argue for God through other reasons, but they stated actual reasons.  You don't.  That is a problem for you.  

It's not that it makes things "simple", as i've already explained it is the most plausible explanation in my mind, based on what I have learnt so far. I don't care if you disagree, I probably disagree with a lot of your Nietschze-inspired beliefs, and probably so do a lot of other people. But that's because no-one has the answers we seek, so we can only really go by our "gut instinct", and i'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I just enjoy discussing these things, but the discussion always seems to go downhill become someone has to bitch about instead of contributing to the discussion :disappoin

Ethics is ambiguous, trying to prove something is not.  The question is, is it the most plausible explanation, or have you just given up on an explanation and given in to a simple answer.  You've done the latter.

To say that any of the biblical accounts justify killing other people is wrong. You know this, I know this, yet you choose to bring it up anyway. You should know the bible teaches to love and respect your fellow man, no matter what skin color or race they are. I don't know about other religions though, from what I know the Koran is a rather violence-inspired piece of literature, but not suprising considering their "prophet" Muhammed was a violent warlord.

I never said that.  I asked you how evolution leads to genocide.  you failed to answer that.  

Separately I pointed out that religion has caused more genocides than evolution.  Look it up.  I was not commenting on the bible per se, jsut the fact that religions have caused more genocide than evolution, and that there as far as I'm aware is little link between evolution and genocide.

"Answer me this, do you like the fact that you're going to die, and if not, does your reaction to the fact make it any less true Psyche?

To answer your question: no, I do not look forward to dying. Why would I? I am enjoying life on earth thus far, but I think as I get older I will probably accept death without being afraid. Death is a natural part of life. I know something happens after you die, I don't know what... but I'm pretty sure you don't just "cease to exist"

You did not answer my question Psyche, and you know you didn't.  I asked whether your admitted slight reluctance to die changes the fact that you're going to die (at least physically).  Another argument that shows what I'm trying to say would be "does the fact that I find paedophilia repugnant change the fact that there is paedophilia?"  

Desire does not change fact.

This is the same structure of argument you used in your "I don't like the consequences of Evolution, so it's wrong" statement.  Which is quite a stupid wya to reason if you think about it.

Why should we accept what ANYONE says? Why do you accept what Dawkins says? Why do you accept what the government says? Am I not as entitled to an opinion as everyone else? FFS...

We have more impetus to accept what someone says if they explain it via clear logical reasoning.  When you fail to reason, yet try and give your agrument the impetus of a reasoned one, you are doing a bit of a fail thing.

I've never said you're entitled to your opinion.... FFS.  When you say you 'wish for' something it is not however in the same category as something that has come to appear likely due to reasoning.  You're entitled to your (gutly) opinions, but not to misrepresent them, which leads me to...

Why would it matter if I was religious or not? Would that somehow make me inferior to you? Would it make me less worthy of participating in a discussion? I don't get it..

No it wouldn't and if you pardon me you obviously do get it, yet choose to say I am disrespecting religion because it is convenient for you to do so.  The source of the argument is not important for me (i.e. a religious vs non-religious person).  However you said several times you were not religious - over and over again you lied.  So at the very least buddy... snap!!!

I do understand why you do this to a certain extent - I agrued agaisnt anti-religious positions in this thread for a while without stating I was an Atheist to prove the point that it was often dislike for religion, rather than the argument offered by the individual being disputed.

Also, to forestall - that was different because I never lied.  Aaaand, snap!! :D  I so knew you were religious, it was obvious you burnt with a desire to 'prove' religion.

The Big Bang theory doesn't say what banged, why it banged, or what was before it banged. How does quantum physics supposedly explain these mysteries? I know you can't explain what came before the Big Bang, so don't say you can. I could go and learn quantum physics, but it's not going do anything to solve the mysteries of the universe that we all seek..

Quantum physics says that the big bang could bang due to uncertainty in the exact state of the universe prior to banding.  In the same way you can't be exactly sure of the energy of a particle at any given time, the universe was 'unsure' about the exact energy in itself prior to the big bang.  Result?  A Big Bang.  Yes this does explain how the big bang could have occured.

You call his arguments intelligent? Meh, whatever. I don't see him actually discussing anything, just stuck with the usual, repetitive notion that somehow science explains everything, and not willing to think about anything outside that very limited frame of mind. Maybe he should l2philosophy?

Cobra is undoubtedly a very strident Atheist, far more so than me, at least in his opinion of Theism.  I respectfully disagree with his stance on that, whilst admittedly sharing a certain empathy for it.  However his stridency does not change the fact that his arguments are well thought out and logical.

Reply #4933 Posted: April 18, 2008, 01:24:53 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: psyche;699225
Interesting video anyway. WATCH IT FOOLS.

I neg repped you for this post, because it is so wrong in so many ways. I'm at work, just finishing lunch, so I don't have time to reply yet, but I will try to get onto it over the next few days, starting with the misrepresentation of Einsteinian philosophy, through to first cause etc etc...

Reply #4934 Posted: April 21, 2008, 01:20:58 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Psyche, I will not discredit.

Fundamentally in terms of the human psyche, I do believe he is on the ball.

I rarely cross anyone that is against the concrete path that science has set.

One thing, Psyche, you can not argue against what science has observed, this is a truth but on the same path there are many truths.

Reply #4935 Posted: April 22, 2008, 05:27:39 am
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Psyche
Without the physical laws and constants that govern the universe, we would not exist. If any one of those well-defined laws had been even 1% different from their current values, we would not exist.

This is commonly 'spouted' by the intelligent design advocates, but in fact it is fundamentally wrong. Sounds like you're parroting Hugh Ross, who is an intelligent design lecturer and astronomer. Now, I've included astronomer because it's very important when one investigates what he says:"If the Earth were one half of one percent closer to the sun, water on Earth would boil off. If the Earth were one half of one percent further from the sun, all the water would freeze." (on The John Ankerberg Show) However, the distance of Earth to the sun varies by more than one half of one percent throughout the year.

Einstein said "God doesn't play dice." and Newton said that he was "..doing no more than explaining how God ordered the universe." These great scientific minds had no problem incorporating philosophy into their studies, why should anyone else? Should we stop referring to anything Newton or Einstein said, simply because they dared to think outside the box, and think outside the contraints of science?

Einstein was proven wrong. This is essentially the Bohr-Einstein debate. Bohr fathered quantum mechanics and claimed that the behaviour of subatomic particles was often chaotic and unpredictable. It is now proven fact that subatomic particles do behave in unpredictable and random ways and thus that "god" does pay dice.

"It was of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as science can reveal it."
Albert Einstein, in his biography Albert Einstein: The Human Side

"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it."
Ibid.

"It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere...Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
Albert Einstein in: "Religion and Science" New York Times Magazine, Nov. 9, 1930.

Dawkins himself lives his life by an almost 'religious-type' belief, and that is Darwinism. He has taken the ideas of Darwin, someone just as confused about the world as most other people, and spun them into an almost 'doctrine' set of beliefs.

It is common to get Darwinism confused with the Theory of Evolution. Sure, evolution is built upon Darwinian Theory, but not just, and has advanced since the time of Darwin.
"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose objections are based not on reasoning but on doctrinaire adherence to religious principles."
James Watson (Co-discoverer of DNA's structure).

"Evolution, as such, is no longer a theory for a modern author. It is as much a fact as that the earth revolves around the sun."
Ernst Mayr. Harvard Science Educator.

The Creationist/Intelligent Design misunderstanding of the term 'theory' just serves to reflect their total estrangement from the scientific community. There is Cell Theory, which explains the structure and function of cells. Yet no one questions the existence of cells; or Atomic Theory, or Gravitational Theory, yet these are not questioned, yet Evolutionary Theory, whose evidence is just as robust, is questioned. Take the evolution of the eye, for example. As Carl Sagan said: "What is impossible in a hundred years, may be inevitable in a billion." The human eye took almost four billion years to evolve.

I'm not religious.

and because I have nothing to lose by leading a good life and believing in God, i'd take eternal bliss over non-existence any day thankyouverymuch.

It's possible that when the brain dies, the mind shuts down. But it's also equally possible that it does not, and something else happens. We can only speculate.

You have been called on this. It is concerning that in one moment you will deny your beliefs and the next try to defend them. This is an inconsistency which give me (at least) concern about the validity and sincerity of your statements.
Also, how can your be so cocksure about eternal bliss. You may well (according to the doctrine) be going to eternal damnation for your denial. That's not eternal bliss, sounds more like eternal blisters. There is no evidence that the 'soul' isn't tied into consciousness. Once we lose consciousness, the soul is essentially void.
"Although the time of death is approaching me, I am not afraid of dying and going to Hell or (what would be considerably worse) going to the popularized version of Heaven. I expect death to be nothingness and, for removing me from all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism."
Isaac Asimov "On Religiosity" in Free Inquiry.

Your entire belief is in the Big Bang, but you don't even care to think what came before the Big Bang, what caused the Big Bang, or why?

Quote from: philo_sofa
Quantum physics says that the big bang could bang due to uncertainty in the exact state of the universe prior to banding. In the same way you can't be exactly sure of the energy of a particle at any given time, the universe was 'unsure' about the exact energy in itself prior to the big bang. Result? A Big Bang. Yes this does explain how the big bang could have occured.

There is a good argument about First Cause, basically that if God could have existed forever, why couldn't physical matter. The non-supernatural assumption is far less difficult than assuming the position of a Creator (including all miracles).The Big Bang is just one moment in the cycle of the Universe. Through extrapolation, science can successfully describe an elemental pre-Big Bang universe.It long-winded and involves conservation of Mass-Energy which essentially illustrates that it doesn't arise ex nihilo.
Mass and Energy can both change their forms, but when all factors are considered and combined, mass-energy cannot be created or destroyed: the total amount of mass-energy in the universe remains constant. Careful empirical observations have completely confirmed this Law. Thus, the conclusion that the universe always existed, even in the singularity which became the Big Bang. Therefore the notion that the universe was created out of nothing is theological rather than scientific. The universe always existed, but as we see it today it had a 'beginning' in the Big Bang. Comprende?

Otherwise no-one in the world would even believe in God, would they?

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible."
Lord Bertrand Russell in "Christian Ethics", from Marriage and Morals.

Ask any scientist in the world today how the existence of everything could have come from nothing, and I guarantee they will say "I don't know." or they might give some kind of theory, but it's just that, a theory, based on speculation and guesswork.

See above, but also realise that the 'guesswork' is based on experimentation and observation. It isn't just a 'thought experiment' or a philosophical musing.

I guess the point i'm trying to make is, you shouldn't do yourself the injustice of limiting yourself soley to the pursuit of scientific knowledge, when there are so many other sources of limitless knowledge available to us, including your own advanced, thinking, contemplating mind.

Our mind is not a source of limitless knowledge. Please qualify this if you disagree. As Carl Sagan said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
As for myself, I'm not just limited to Scientific knowledge. I read widely around philosophical and religious issues as well as scientific literature. However, I consider I can discern the bullshit reasonably well, and science really is a candle in the dark!

Reply #4936 Posted: April 22, 2008, 10:38:55 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
but still, when I look at things more closely I can't help but come back to the whole 'God' thing, it does make a lot of sense and makes the puzzle of our existence fit together almost perfectly.

Could you please explain how it makes a lot of sense? I have yet to see a decent explanation whereby it makes sense so I would appreciate it if you could enlighten me.
At the stage I'm at, scientific theory, including evolution and the Big Bang makes a whole lot more sense than a supernatural power. Ockham's Razor anyone?

I only hope that people like kill3r, Cobra, ect. will realise that there is more to life than science

I'm an etc I feel, given the timbre of your previous replies to my posts.
Yes, of course there is more to life than Science. It's just that, for me, there is no room for a god.

Quote from: Dr_Woohoo
If I wanted a moral code that implied you should wipe out lesser or unfavoured peoples wholesale, I'd start with the Bible.

I concur

Some of the greatest scientific and philosophical minds have described God as the cause of existence, did they all come to that conclusion just because it "makes it simple" aswell?

Please!
A lot of those 'minds' I feel, were living in times where it was dangerous to speak out against religion.
And as for the likes of Einstein, Hawking etc, they have had their words twisted and hijacked by the religios.
"So long as the universe had a beginning, we could suppose it had a creator. But if the universe is really completely self-contained, having no boundary or edge, it would have neither beginning or end: it would simply be. What place, then, for a creator?"
Stephen Hawking. A Brief History of Time. p 141

Thanks also to "Atheist Universe" by David Mills. A good read for anyone interested in uncovering the hypocrisy of Intelligent Design.

I look forward to the debate continuing.

Reply #4937 Posted: April 22, 2008, 01:05:13 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
im not reading all that, every one is picking on me for no reason and you are an idiot for not having the same world view as me

there you go grim - saved you the wait

Reply #4938 Posted: April 22, 2008, 01:24:52 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;702053
This is commonly 'spouted' by the intelligent design advocates, but in fact it is fundamentally wrong. Sounds like you're parroting Hugh Ross, who is an intelligent design lecturer and astronomer. Now, I've included astronomer because it's very important when one investigates what he says:"If the Earth were one half of one percent closer to the sun, water on Earth would boil off. If the Earth were one half of one percent further from the sun, all the water would freeze." (on The John Ankerberg Show) However, the distance of Earth to the sun varies by more than one half of one percent throughout the year.

He's likely referring to the Goldilocks argument - the idea that the actual physical laws of the universe, rather than the exact setup of our solar system, is special. The latter of course is somewhat cut down by the Weak Antrhopic principle and there being a hundred trillion or so solar systems available.   In terms of the former there are however two replies (the Antropic Principle not being immediately applicable), one's purely logical, the isother based upon the existence of a multiverse.  I've bene over them both with Psyche, but he declines to engage on them.

"Although the time of death is approaching me, I am not afraid of dying and going to Hell or (what would be considerably worse) going to the popularized version of Heaven. I expect death to be nothingness and, for removing me from all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism."
Isaac Asimov "On Religiosity" in Free Inquiry.

Man it always cuts me up when I read his last book - the thoughts and experiences he gives his alter ego Seldon just before he dies, all written in a book Asimov finished a scant few days before his own passing away. Shucks....

The Big Bang is just one moment in the cycle of the Universe. Through extrapolation, science can successfully describe an elemental pre-Big Bang universe.It long-winded and involves conservation of Mass-Energy which essentially illustrates that it doesn't arise ex nihilo.
Mass and Energy can both change their forms, but when all factors are considered and combined, mass-energy cannot be created or destroyed: the total amount of mass-energy in the universe remains constant. Careful empirical observations have completely confirmed this Law. Thus, the conclusion that the universe always existed, even in the singularity which became the Big Bang. Therefore the notion that the universe was created out of nothing is theological rather than scientific. The universe always existed, but as we see it today it had a 'beginning' in the Big Bang. Comprende?

Isn't it a net zero energy system in a non quantum sense?  Just trying to get a proper grip on it.

Reply #4939 Posted: April 22, 2008, 01:41:20 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: philo-sofa;702175
Isn't it a net zero energy system in a non quantum sense? Just trying to get a proper grip on it.

Definitely. The measurable universe only "exists" in that energy is not evenly distributed. if all the mass/energy in the universe was evenly distributed it would no longer exist in the sense that it would be impossible to measure ( and there'd be no-one to measure it).

We're all eddies in the space/time continuum ;)

Reply #4940 Posted: April 22, 2008, 02:01:03 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: philo-sofa
Isn't it a net zero energy system in a non quantum sense?  Just trying to get a proper grip on it.

I believe that is so....I'm having a hard time getting my head around the minutiae...there are some big minds out there!

oh, wait...Woohoo is good at rendering it down...nice one bro

Reply #4941 Posted: April 22, 2008, 02:08:35 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;702197
I believe that is so....I'm having a hard time getting my head around the minutiae...there are some big minds out there!

oh, wait...Woohoo is good at rendering it down...nice one bro

I'm just wondering then how conservation of mass-energy implies a state prior to the big bang?

Reply #4942 Posted: April 22, 2008, 03:47:25 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: philo-sofa;702296
I'm just wondering then how conservation of mass-energy implies a state prior to the big bang?

Good question. i'll try to find out more....dammit I have to go away for work again so it may be a few days...no, it WILL be a few days :(

Reply #4943 Posted: April 22, 2008, 04:00:50 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: philo-sofa;702296

Thing of an infinite n-dimensional sheet...

brain hurts.....

Because of the way the big bang is described, we think of it in terms of an explosion, i.e a rapid expansion of energy from a  single point. a point = 0 dimensions. That's how our brains work.

A more accurate way of looking at it is to think of the universe being all the energy there is. Visualise it as a sheet if it helps. The sheet is disturbed somehow, or perhaps always in a state of flux. the ripples and distortions of the sheet are what we are able to measure as mass/energy.

The implication of the law of conservation is that the universe i.e the totality of mass/energy neither starts nor ends, the big bang was an event in the mass/energy totality (I am sure someone has a good name for it, but I don't know what it is) that we can't measure beyond.  

That's still muddy I know, but is not easy to explain.

I still think the best description is that we're eddies in the timespace continuum ;)

Reply #4944 Posted: April 22, 2008, 04:54:39 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;702370
Thing of an infinite n-dimensional sheet...

brain hurts.....

Because of the way the big bang is described, we think of it in terms of an explosion, i.e a rapid expansion of energy from a  single point. a point = 0 dimensions. That's how our brains work.

A more accurate way of looking at it is to think of the universe being all the energy there is. Visualise it as a sheet if it helps. The sheet is disturbed somehow, or perhaps always in a state of flux. the ripples and distortions of the sheet are what we are able to measure as mass/energy.

The implication of the law of conservation is that the universe i.e the totality of mass/energy neither starts nor ends, the big bang was an event in the mass/energy totality (I am sure someone has a good name for it, but I don't know what it is) that we can't measure beyond.  

That's still muddy I know, but is not easy to explain.

I still think the best description is that we're eddies in the timespace continuum ;)

Actually dude that was a damnned grade A explanation, thanks! :)  So life is not just a waterwheel turning in the middle of differential energy levels; on a larger scale the energy gradient itself rides on, and is created by, a temporary ripple on a surface?

Reply #4945 Posted: April 22, 2008, 05:06:54 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

The waterwheel idea is kinda right, as long as you factor in that the waterwheel itself is made from differences in energy.

The hunt for the grand unified theory of everything is fascinating. You can see conceptually how all the little bits and pieces tie in together. I can't wait till it all falls into place. I have a suspicion that once it is known it will seem almost trivial.

Don't forget we're talking concepts here. Trying to find human ways to describe a reality that goes far deeper than we can see.

Reply #4946 Posted: April 22, 2008, 06:01:45 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;702422

Don't forget we're talking concepts here. Trying to find human ways to describe a reality that goes far deeper than we can see.

Yup.....

Reply #4947 Posted: April 22, 2008, 06:46:22 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;702422

The waterwheel idea is kinda right, as long as you factor in that the waterwheel itself is made from differences in energy.

Yup...

Reply #4948 Posted: April 22, 2008, 06:48:25 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.

Reply #4949 Posted: April 24, 2008, 12:42:57 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.