Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
I've referred to "Kissing Hanks arse" a few times, but never seen it posted here, so I thought i'd add the link. Apologies if you've all seen it before

Kissing Hanks Arse

Reply #4950 Posted: April 24, 2008, 05:40:51 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
These aren't my words, they're from another forum I subscribe to. But I thought they were pretty good, anyway:

"... it must be frustrating for the proponents of creationism to watch their best shots fall short, time after time after time.

To avoid further embarrassment, I propose a solution. A simple (and not very original) test any creationist or believer in intelligent design can apply to see whether his latest 'proof' of the workings of the Divine Hand actually is proof, or just another bit of wishful thinking.

The Way to Prove God Did It
What GDI* proponents need, if they're ever going to make any headway in this argument is something that goes like:

1. The theory of evolution and speciation by natural selection, though widely accepted, has never been able satisfactorily to explain the following phenomenon...
   2. This is because... (scientifically valid argument here)
   3. Instead, we contend that the phenomenon can best be explained as the result of Divine Fiat, because... (another scientifically valid argument here).
   4. This can be tested by means of the following experiment... (Exhaustive description of experiment, including an explanation of how it addresses the problem. Note that the experiment will have to be ingeniously designed to eliminate all other explanations for the phenomenon apart from GDI).
   5. If our hypothesis is true -- and only if it is true -- the following results may be expected from the experiment.
   6. We ran the experiment. Here are the results. They tally well with our expectations (see #5 above).
   7. Therefore we conclude that GDI.
   8. We invite others to assess our arguments, repeat our experiment, and verify the results for themselves.

If creationists can come up with something like that, then they may expect to be taken seriously in science. So far, they're not even close. Nobody -- not one single individual among all the writhing, pullulating hordes of creationism -- ever has, so far.

*God Did It"

LOL at 'Kissing Hank's Arse"...good one!

Reply #4951 Posted: April 30, 2008, 09:45:34 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080513122249.m3ds3b6j&show_article=1

A nice article about a letter from Einstein to Philosopher Eric Gutkind, in 1954.

One quote: "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."

Go Einstein.
I'm reading my way through a book called 'The Atheist Reader' by Christopher Hitchens. It's a good overview/collection of Atheist-leaning writings thoughout history, and good for those who want a bit more perspective than 'the greatest story ever told' (a remarkably shameless bit of self-endorsement by those who think they believe).

Oh, and I've just got 'the Quotable Atheist' so expect some good quotes soon.

And yeah, I don't want this thread to die, just yet!

Reply #4952 Posted: May 14, 2008, 09:58:09 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Some of you guys may be pleased to know that this thread has in fact made me consider my faith more seriously. Like, I know in my heart that God exists (please, no smart-arse remarks on this), but asked myself: why do Christians and other religions believe what they believe about Him? So to try and answer that question I'm reading a book on basic theology.

I also just finished reading 'The Year of Living Biblically' by AJ Jacobs; its a non-fiction following Jacobs' attempt to live according to the bible for 12 months - at the start he's a secular-living agnostic. I won't give away what happens incase anyone wants to read it, but I will say that I was surprised given some of his comments throughout the remainder of the book too.

I am very keen to have a crack at the Dawkins book as well at some point. Will keep you posted on this.

Reply #4953 Posted: May 14, 2008, 12:11:30 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
I would start with "The Atheist Universe" by David Mills, it is a gentler entry point as Dawkins can be quite abrasive at times, to his detriment.

However, I like the way he sticks his neck out, puts his hand up, and says "Here I am, I'm not going to go away"!

But, good on you, Flea, for questioning. I don't know what answers you will get, but it's an important thing for people to do.

May you see the light!  :sunnies:

Reply #4954 Posted: May 14, 2008, 12:20:26 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!

Reply #4955 Posted: May 14, 2008, 04:58:12 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;715936
Some of you guys may be pleased to know that this thread has in fact made me consider my faith more seriously. Like, I know in my heart that God exists (please, no smart-arse remarks on this), but asked myself: why do Christians and other religions believe what they believe about Him? So to try and answer that question I'm reading a book on basic theology.

I also just finished reading 'The Year of Living Biblically' by AJ Jacobs; its a non-fiction following Jacobs' attempt to live according to the bible for 12 months - at the start he's a secular-living agnostic. I won't give away what happens incase anyone wants to read it, but I will say that I was surprised given some of his comments throughout the remainder of the book too.

I am very keen to have a crack at the Dawkins book as well at some point. Will keep you posted on this.

Congrats dude, I find that it is the belief in religion that is detestable, not the belief in god. The two are not one. Good on ya.

Reply #4956 Posted: May 14, 2008, 05:04:08 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: psyche;699327
No it won't, because if it did make perfect sense then it would already be accepted as proven fact, when it is not.  Otherwise no-one in the world would even believe in God, would they? If we already knew how the existence of everything could come from nothing by completely naturalistic means? Think about it.

Oh I am amused...

So mankind has always had access to this knowledge? And this knowledge is available to everyone? And there is no organisations advising the uneducated masses with incorrect conflicting information - without evidence?

Funny thing, you know what this guy has said is actually correct. Because if it did make perfect sense then no-one would believe in Allah or Yehwah or whatever deity is proclaimed to be creator. And this is actually happening. As people become educated their beliefs in mystical religions are surrendered for reason and logic.

It is, and has been, one of organised religions main objectives to keep the proletariat stupid precisely for this reason.

Quote from: psyche;699327
Ask any scientist in the world today how the existence of everything could have come from nothing, and I guarantee they will say "I don't know." or they might give some kind of theory, but it's just that, a theory, based on speculation and guesswork.

Sorry, but who said there was nothing before the big bang?

That's quite an impressive strawman you've built there. Perhaps you would like to direct us to one credible cosmologist that says there was nothing before the big bang. I won't hold my breath.

What science actually says regarding events prior to the big bang is that they are currently considered unobservable. This does not mean that there was nothing, it means that whatever there was cannot possibly be derived from observation from our current perspective.

It is the uneducated and the religious fanatics that use this strawman argument to try and persuade people who don't know any better that science is full of shit. Looks like it worked on you eh.

Science doesn't pretend to know the origin of the universe for sure, now can your religion say the same?

Reply #4957 Posted: May 14, 2008, 06:04:02 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
the local paper has for the past few months daily posted letter from fanatic wackjobs. yesterday was one of the worst though, it began with

"I will say it again. The judgment of almighty god has once again come to South East Asia"

pretty much everyday this idiot writes a letter to the editor, anyone else get the same thing in their local paper?

Reply #4958 Posted: May 14, 2008, 06:06:31 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;715942
But, good on you, Flea, for questioning. I don't know what answers you will get, but it's an important thing for people to do.

May you see the light!  :sunnies:

As I say, I'm not trying to read myself out of my faith. As dirtyape says, the belief in a religion is different than a belief in God. But I think its good to question what you believe. I think when you stop questioning stuff you can go stale, and I don't plan on letting that happen ;)

Reply #4959 Posted: May 15, 2008, 09:29:47 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: KiLL3r;716132
pretty much everyday this idiot writes a letter to the editor, anyone else get the same thing in their local paper?

Salient (Vic Uni paper) has had some good ones recently about Christians who feel discriminated against. Hilarious stuff.

Reply #4960 Posted: May 15, 2008, 09:35:13 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.

Reply #4961 Posted: May 15, 2008, 09:47:45 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline SmiLinSniPeR

• Addicted
  • SmiLinSniPeR has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;716480
As I say, I'm not trying to read myself out of my faith. As dirtyape says, the belief in a religion is different than a belief in God. But I think its good to question what you believe. I think when you stop questioning stuff you can go stale, and I don't plan on letting that happen ;)

Post that ALL religious people should read!

I myself dont go to church or subscribe to a religion but i do believe there is a god of some sort.

I like to think that when i die it's not the end but just a mere stop in time before i move onto the next thing in my existence both spiritual and or physical.

Reply #4962 Posted: May 15, 2008, 09:55:48 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: psyche;699339
Think about this; how can everything NATURAL spontaneously arise from NON-NATURAL, ie. nothing? It would have to have had the involvement of something supernatural, logically.

Without a definition of 'Natural' you cannot define what is and what is not 'Natural'. For example: Due to the number and frequency of their existence, the creation of black holes could be considered 'natural'. Compare this to the incredibly low chance of inorganic matter spontaneously becoming organic life then organic life could be considered 'unnatural'

Therefore: The universe was created to spawn the creation of black holes

This is the exact same logic you are using to promote the creation of Hulk God: Because X exists, Y must also Exist
Quote from: psyche;699414
I've got a few crazy thoughts running around in my mind about our existence too, I was thinking the other night.. what if the universe is one gigantic science experiment, our universe is but a bubble in some huge cosmological laboratory and we are being studied by supernatural/otherwordly beings. Now that's a pretty out there idea :eek:

That would be a horrible horrible universe to live in, where you have no control over anything and the very foundation of your existence is held in a constant state of unbalance all at the whim of an ambiguous overlord who's intentions are impossible to predict.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;699475
I've never understood where the hell this argument comes from. it is way past strawman, and so far beyond fatuous, that a new word is almost needed.

+Rep for using the word 'Fatuous'
Quote from: psyche;699503
I don't care if you disagree, I probably disagree with a lot of your Nietschze-inspired beliefs

Interesting. If someone who is isolated comes to the same conclusions as Nietsche, does that mean they were inspired by Nietsche? In the same way, if someone comes to the same conclusion about God as someone inspired by another, does that mean they were inspired by God?
Quote from: KiLL3r;699512
Learn to walk before you run.

I dont think he's learned to crawl yet
Quote from: philo-sofa;702175
I've been over them both with Psyche, but he declines to engage on them.

I opted out of the Hadron Collider thread until Psyche had been removed as he already demonstrated a lack of understanding on the subject. Testing people with three or four questions can save hours and days of having to wade through baseless arguments.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;702190
Definitely. The measurable universe only "exists" in that energy is not evenly distributed. if all the mass/energy in the universe was evenly distributed it would no longer exist in the sense that it would be impossible to measure ( and there'd be no-one to measure it).

Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;702370
Think of an infinite n-dimensional sheet...

Easier to understand if you restrict n to 11, which is why Stephen Hawkings does so. Proof of higher dimensions than 11 makes no difference to a base number of 11, since they can only be influenced/detected as an interaction of 11 dimensions. Also: Infinite is too ambiguous a term to use in the case of M-Theory. Chaotically Undefined would be more appropriate.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;702370
Because of the way the big bang is described, we think of it in terms of an explosion, i.e a rapid expansion of energy from a  single point. a point = 0 dimensions. That's how our brains work.

Exactly. The Big 'Bang' would be most likely be The Big Collapse as the...urr...'harmonics' between ....infinitely curved.....Einstein-Bose condensate broke down. Actually, I have no way to explain the process without math.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;702422
The waterwheel idea is kinda right, as long as you factor in that the waterwheel itself is made from differences in energy.

The hunt for the grand unified theory of everything is fascinating. You can see conceptually how all the little bits and pieces tie in together. I can't wait till it all falls into place. I have a suspicion that once it is known it will seem almost trivial.

Don't forget we're talking concepts here. Trying to find human ways to describe a reality that goes far deeper than we can see.

Thats because reality is much stranger than fact. The Grand Unified Theory is hampered by the fact that a glass you drink out of is, in fact, eleven glasses stack inside one another then smashed to pieces and confined to a cylindrical area exactly the same size as the cup, but unable to collapse into the center(empty space you drink out of) due to the forces holding most of the material being pushed away(outwards) because the strong nuclear force is just enough to keep otherwise coexisting dimensions from interacting in the same timespace.

Yet somehow the tea in my cup always tastes nice

Reply #4963 Posted: May 17, 2008, 12:17:39 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;716489
Einstein thought religion was childish.

Do you just go around the internet searching for shitty articles that mention anything about portraying religion in a bad light - and if so, do you have any idea how pathetic that is? Or did you just get this from GP?

Nonetheless, the article does NOT represent an accurate description of Einstein's views before his death. Yeah sure, he wasn't religious (or is that all this is about? Insulting religions because that's all you pathetic pleb's know how to do?) but he realised, as any intelligent person would, that there must be a deeper purpose behind the existence of the universe.

Not long after Einstein was trying to prove his "cosmological constant" that would make his idea of an infinite universe possible, when George Lemaître - the inventor of the Big Bang theory (and coincidentally, a Catholic priest and scientist for you ignorant idiots that think religion and science can't logically co-exist) had found the errors in Einstein's work, and then proposed the "primeval atom" theory to him, Einstein's views drastically changed, he admitted he had been wrong about an eternal universe and done everything in his power to support and endorse George Lemaître's theory (which is what is now known as 'the Big Bang', a term sarcastically coined by Fred Hoyle)

Both Friedman and Lemaître had found that the universe must be expanding. Lemaître went further than Friedman, since he concluded that an initial "creation-like" event must have occurred. This is the Big Bang theory as we know it today, and this is why he is credited with its discovery.

Einstein at first dismissed Friedman and then (privately) Lemaître out of hand, saying that not all mathematics leads to correct theories. After Hubble's discovery was published, Einstein quickly and publicly endorsed Lemaître's theory, helping both the theory and priest get fast recognition.

So Einstein went from having a dislike of religions, to admitting his mistakes and completely supporting and endorsing the scientific theory of a Catholic priest. What a good dude.

Most cosmologists and astrophysicists today agree that the big-bang model of the origin of the universe is accurate. Ever since Einstein published his theory of general relativity, more and more of those scientists have also acknowledged, however reluctantly, that a universe with a beginning is very strong evidence for the existence of a "beginner." After all, a beginning demands a cause. And a cause demands a being that can create the cause-perhaps an infinite being, but certainly a being beyond time and space.

Einstein recognized that his theory implied a creator of some type. After Hubble demonstrated in 1929 that some 40 galaxies were indeed receding from one another as the theory predicted, Einstein begrudgingly accepted the "necessity of a beginning" and "the presence of a superior power."

Doubting the authenticity of the last quote, I had to look it up, but sure enough a statement to that effect was made by Einstein in his last years:

"That deep emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."

--  Albert Einstein

Although it's fair to say Einstein did not believe in a "personal" God. In any case, i'm not sure why Einstein's opinions on religion should matter to anyone; they were just that, his opinions.

Reply #4964 Posted: May 17, 2008, 03:10:37 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;702053
This is commonly 'spouted' by the intelligent design advocates, but in fact it is fundamentally wrong. Sounds like you're parroting Hugh Ross, who is an intelligent design lecturer and astronomer. Now, I've included astronomer because it's very important blah blah blah blah blah

Are you kidding me? 'Spouted' by Intelligent Design advocates? The fine-tuned physical constants that govern the universe is COMMON KNOWLEDGE. If anyone of those physical constants had been even a tiny bit different, no planets would exist, no stars would exist, no carbon-based lifeforms would exist (and these physical constants were around before carbon-based lifeforms probably even existed in the universe)

So WHO or WHAT designed those laws?

The Creationist/Intelligent Design misunderstanding of the term 'theory' just serves to reflect their total estrangement from the scientific community. There is Cell Theory, which explains the structure and function of cells. Yet no one questions the existence of cells; or Atomic Theory, or Gravitational Theory, yet these are not questioned, yet Evolutionary Theory, whose evidence is just as robust, is questioned. Take the evolution of the eye, for example. As Carl Sagan said: "What is impossible in a hundred years, may be inevitable in a billion." The human eye took almost four billion years to evolve.

Again you are deluding yourself. The majority of intelligent people that believe in God also accept evolution - the inventor of the Big Bang theory was a religious priest for crying out loud. The 'Father of Modern Genetics', Gregor Mendel, was a deeply religious scientist. It is not hard to accept that nature, and all natural processes including evolution may be product of God's creation. The difference is, one belief says that the evolution of the universe and life has purpose and meaning; whilst the other belief says that the universe has no meaning or purpose whatsoever.

Tell me then, if the universe seems to have been designed for life to evolve and inhabit it (in the first moments of the Big Bang when the structure and uniformity of the physical constants were locked into place) - which belief is more rational? If the universe is a product of chaotic randomness with no purpose, then why is the universe itself not completely random, chaotic and unintelligible to beings like us? If there is no purpose to the existence of the universe, why does the universe bother to exist at all?

The only people who have any kind of agenda to reject the theory of evolution would be Young Earth Creationists, whom interpret certain passages of the Bible literally.

You have been called on this. It is concerning that in one moment you will deny your beliefs and the next try to defend them. This is an inconsistency which give me (at least) concern about the validity and sincerity of your statements.

I honestly don't give a flying fuck what you think my beliefs are. I'm not currently religious, but some kind of 'supremely intelligent force or being' that set the existence of everything that encompasses physical reality into motion - is still the most plausible explanation for the existence of the universe no matter what other crazy theory you pull out of your ass to try and justify this amazing universe we live in.

Also, how can your be so cocksure about eternal bliss. You may well (according to the doctrine) be going to eternal damnation for your denial. That's not eternal bliss, sounds more like eternal blisters. There is no evidence that the 'soul' isn't tied into consciousness. Once we lose consciousness, the soul is essentially void.

First you say that there is no evidence that the soul isn't tied to consciousness, then you try to claim that once we lose consciousness the soul is void. Yup, that makes sense and I can see that you have definately thought that one out very carefully.

There is a good argument about First Cause, basically that if God could have existed forever, why couldn't physical matter.

I have already posted a very good article in your 'Multiverse' thread that you never responded to, which explains why infinite physical matter eternally existing is impossible.

We already KNOW that TIME itself began with our universe, so how the fuck could anything physical have existed eternally outside of our universe? Whatever that 'force' is that existed outside the constrains of time logically then must have been 'supernatural', not physical.

The non-supernatural assumption is far less difficult than assuming the position of a Creator (including all miracles).

There are so many people who would disagree with you (excluding the miracles part)

Ultimately, the idea of an infinite universe or a finite universe are both quite absurd. But the idea of an infinite universe or infinite set of multiverses is just signifcantly more improbable than the alternative.  

Besides, it has recently been discovered that the universe is 'flat' - which made way for a new discovery, that the universe will continue expanding forever, never declining back into a "Big Crunch" or any other theory for the ultimate end of the universe. In essense, this makes your idea of an infinitely "expanding and contracting" universe impossible, sorry to say.

Another discovery that has strong religious undertones - perhaps the only one that can decide when the universe should end is God.

The Big Bang is just one moment in the cycle of the Universe.

lol. According to you, right?

Through extrapolation, science can successfully describe an elemental pre-Big Bang universe.It long-winded and involves conservation of Mass-Energy which essentially illustrates that it doesn't arise ex nihilo.

HOW? Explain to me carefully how you think this is possible, and then I will explain to you carefully why it is impossible, and generally regarded by most scientists and philosophers to be impossible. Quantum theory and all that crap is nonsense, there is absolutely no decent and plausible scientific theory that could explain any kind of existence before the Big Bang.

Mass and Energy can both change their forms, but when all factors are considered and combined, mass-energy cannot be created or destroyed: the total amount of mass-energy in the universe remains constant. Careful empirical observations have completely confirmed this Law. Thus, the conclusion that the universe always existed, even in the singularity which became the Big Bang. Therefore the notion that the universe was created out of nothing is theological rather than scientific. The universe always existed, but as we see it today it had a 'beginning' in the Big Bang. Comprende?

No, not Comprende.

The Law of Conservation of Energy are physical constants that were a PRODUCT of the Big Bang, they did not exist before the Big Bang - where did you get that retarded idea from?

Under general relativity, there is no 'before the Big Bang'. The problem is that time is itself a part of the universe and is affected by matter and energy. Because of the huge densities just after the Big Bang, time itself is warped in such a way that it cannot go back before that event. It is somewhat like asking what is north of the north pole.

The conservation of matter and energy states that the total amount of mass and energy at one time is the same at any other time. Notice how time is a crucial part of this statement. To even talk about conservation laws, you have to have time.

The upshot is that the Big Bang did not break the conservation laws because time itself is part of the universe and started at the Big Bang and because the conservation laws need to have time in their statements.

As for myself, I'm not just limited to Scientific knowledge. I read widely around philosophical and religious issues as well as scientific literature. However, I consider I can discern the bullshit reasonably well, and science really is a candle in the dark!

I'm not sure you can discern the bullshit reasonably well as evidence by some of the utter misinformed crap you post. Science may be a candle in the dark, but without philosophy science will never explain anything more interesting than the HOW.

I'm a bit more open to some atheistic ideas these days though, I quite like the idea that if the theory of "multiverses" were true, I might get the chance to experience life on a completely different planet in a completely different universe, but unfortunately there is a ton of evidence to the contrary that I can't ignore which points out the impossibility of this "sci-fi fantasy". I have to say though, fanatical atheists like you are just a joke to me now. I can't take any of you seriously anymore - they come up with all kinds of batshit-crazy ideas about the universe, any kind of idea that excludes a Creator, no matter how absurd or implausible, simply because they do not want to admit to the very real possibilty that our universe was created.

I understand though that there are some people who just don't like the idea that our universe was created, and try to avoid it at all costs - so I don't get too bent out of shape about it anymore. I still have to have a bit of a chuckle at how utterly deluded some of them are though

Quote from: Tiwaking!;717941

I dont think he's learned to crawl yet

Don't respond to any of my posts douchebag.

Reply #4965 Posted: May 17, 2008, 03:12:09 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Lastly, since you seemed to permeate your post with irrelevant quotes for some reason Ngati, let's take a look at some interesting quotes about atheism:

Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist. --C. S. Lewis

It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists. --Mohandas Gandhi

The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful, and has nobody to thank.--Dante Gabriel Rossetti

If there were no God, there would be no atheists. --G.K. Chesterton

I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.--Abraham Lincoln

To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, "I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge" --Ravi Zacharias

A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion. --Francis Bacon

God is not discoverable or demonstrable by purely scientific means, unfortunately for the scientifically minded. But that really proves nothing. It simply means that the wrong instruments are being used for the job. - J.B. Phillips

If we were to judge nature by common sense or likelihood, we wouldn't believe the world existed. --Annie Dillard

Without God man has no reference point to define himself. 20th century philosophy manifests the chaos of man seeking to understand himself as a creature with dignity while having no reference point for that dignity. --R. C. Sproul

Even in ordinary speech we call a person unreasonable whose outlook is narrow, who is conscious of one thing only at a time, and who is consequently the prey of his own caprice, whilst we describe a person as reasonable whose outlook is comprehensive, who is capable of looking at more than one side of a question and of grasping a number of details as parts of a whole." ~ G. Dawes Hicks

My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? If the whole show was bad and senseless from A to Z, so to speak, why did I, who was supposed to be part of the show, find myself in such violent reaction against it? A man feels wet when he falls into water, because man is not a water animal: a fish would not feel wet. Of course, I could have given up my idea of justice by saying that it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if I did that, then my argument against God collapsed too--for the argument depended on saying that the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my private fancies. Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist--in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless--I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality--namely my idea of justice--was full of sense. Consequently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.--C.S. Lewis

A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol. --Deitrich Bonhoeffer

You think you are too intelligent to believe in God. I am not like you. --Napoleon Bonaparte

Still, even the most admirable of atheists is nothing more than a moral parasite, living his life based on borrowed ethics. This is why, when pressed, the atheist will often attempt to hide his lack of conviction in his own beliefs behind some poorly formulated utilitarianism, or argue that he acts out of altruistic self-interest. But this is only post-facto rationalization, not reason or rational behavior. -Vox Day

Humanism or atheism is a wonderful philosophy of life as long as you are big, strong, and between the ages of eighteen and thirty-five. But watch out if you are in a lifeboat and there are others who are younger, bigger, or smarter. --William Murray

Recently, Richard Dawkins claimed that all life on Earth, originated from a one-cell organism that was delivered to the planet by intelligent alien beings.

The great Richard Dawkins ladies and gentlemen!

[video]eaGgpGLxLQw[/video]

Reply #4966 Posted: May 17, 2008, 03:15:41 pm

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: Tiwaking!;717941
Hardon Collider

Also, the ignore tool is amazing.

Reply #4967 Posted: May 17, 2008, 03:22:29 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: Arnifix;718050

Sure, if you can't come up with any intelligent argument in response to someone, it is certainly easier just to ignore them.

Reply #4968 Posted: May 17, 2008, 03:41:05 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: psyche;718063
Sure, if you can't come up with any intelligent argument in response to someone, it is certainly easier just to ignore them.

im flattered - you have ignored me 2 or 3 times now

Reply #4969 Posted: May 18, 2008, 12:52:12 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: psyche;718042
Although it's fair to say Einstein did not believe in a "personal" God. In any case, i'm not sure why Einstein's opinions on religion should matter to anyone; they were just that, his opinions.

Yet the tone of your posts suggest you consider your opinions on whether some sort of creator is necessary for the universe, to be truth
I have already posted a very good article in your 'Multiverse' thread that you never responded to, which explains why infinite physical matter eternally existing is impossible.

Yet an infinite supernatural entity eternally existing is essential?

Reply #4970 Posted: May 18, 2008, 02:47:41 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Arnifix;718050

Cant ignore him. If I ignore him, he wins.

However: I can read what he says, interpret it and ask questions which leads to original fallacy. In this case, since I've been asked kindly to not reply to absurd claims, it would be better if I just made factual statements and wait for a response.

"the road to Auschwitz was built by hate but paved with indifference" - Sir Ian Kershaw

Reply #4971 Posted: May 18, 2008, 09:26:03 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
So Einstein went from having a dislike of religions, to admitting his mistakes and completely supporting and endorsing the scientific theory of a Catholic priest. What a good dude.

All this proves is that Einstein evaluated the theory on it's merits - not on it's source. What does it matter where a theory comes from unless you are in the habit of being intellectually prejudiced?

He was intelligent. People like to hear what intelligent people have to say. They tend to have informed perspectives.

Quote from: psyche;718046
Recently, Richard Dawkins claimed that all life on Earth, originated from a one-cell organism that was delivered to the planet by intelligent alien beings.

Proof? Oh, that's right - who needs proof huh?

Quote from: psyche;718043
Are you kidding me? 'Spouted' by Intelligent Design advocates? The fine-tuned physical constants that govern the universe is COMMON KNOWLEDGE. If anyone of those physical constants had been even a tiny bit different, no planets would exist, no stars would exist, no carbon-based lifeforms would exist (and these physical constants were around before carbon-based lifeforms probably even existed in the universe)

So WHO or WHAT designed those laws?

And if those constants were not valued as they are then you would not be around to ask the question of who set them.

Why is the anthropic principle so hard for religious people to grasp? The universe exists as it does because if it didn't exist this way then you would not exist either! You can only exist in a universe with these parameters.

Therefore it is a ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that the universal constants should exist in this manner.

Again you are deluding yourself. The majority of intelligent people that believe in God also accept evolution - the inventor of the Big Bang theory was a religious priest for crying out loud. The 'Father of Modern Genetics', Gregor Mendel, was a deeply religious scientist. It is not hard to accept that nature, and all natural processes including evolution may be product of God's creation. The difference is, one belief says that the evolution of the universe and life has purpose and meaning; whilst the other belief says that the universe has no meaning or purpose whatsoever.

Tell me then, if the universe seems to have been designed for life to evolve and inhabit it (in the first moments of the Big Bang when the structure and uniformity of the physical constants were locked into place) - which belief is more rational? If the universe is a product of chaotic randomness with no purpose, then why is the universe itself not completely random, chaotic and unintelligible to beings like us? If there is no purpose to the existence of the universe, why does the universe bother to exist at all?

Simple, if it didn't exist as it does you would not exist to ponder why it exists at all. The fact that you exist only proves that the universe is capable of existing in such a way that allows you to exist, nothing more.

I think you are missing something fundamental. And I think that is that you appear to think that the observable universe is actually the entire universe. You believe there is no possibility of the universe existing in any other state other than what you see around you. And therefore the universe must be intelligently designed for how else would such a cosmic coincidence occur?

If you replace the single observable universe with infinite universes of differing permutations of cosmic constants than our universe occurring becomes an inevitability.

I honestly don't give a flying fuck what you think my beliefs are. I'm not currently religious, but some kind of 'supremely intelligent force or being' that set the existence of everything that encompasses physical reality into motion - is still the most plausible explanation for the existence of the universe no matter what other crazy theory you pull out of your ass to try and justify this amazing universe we live in.

Anthropic principle.

And to think I actually constructed a "bat-shit crazy" hypothesis that adequately describes gods existence in a multi-verse model. What's more, my hypothesis is a certainty. Good thing you religious types don't like this Multi-verse stuff, as my hypothesis pretty much claims that a "god" must exist in a multi-verse.

First you say that there is no evidence that the soul isn't tied to consciousness, then you try to claim that once we lose consciousness the soul is void. Yup, that makes sense and I can see that you have definately thought that one out very carefully.

Ummm, those two things actually correlate. If there is no proof the soul isn't tied to consciousness (i.e. the soul may be tied to consciousness) then losing consciousness would mean the soul was void.

What is this soul thing anyway? Define please.

We already KNOW that TIME itself began with our universe, so how the fuck could anything physical have existed eternally outside of our universe? Whatever that 'force' is that existed outside the constrains of time logically then must have been 'supernatural', not physical.

No we don't, you're making an assumption. We know that observable time begun with the universe. We know NOTHING about what occurred before that, and whether time existed or not.

There are so many people who would disagree with you (excluding the miracles part)

Ultimately, the idea of an infinite universe or a finite universe are both quite absurd. But the idea of an infinite universe or infinite set of multiverses is just signifcantly more improbable than the alternative.  

Why?

And why is the idea that complex organisms cannot exist naturally unless they are created by an infinitely more complex creator is much more probable?

Besides, it has recently been discovered that the universe is 'flat' - which made way for a new discovery, that the universe will continue expanding forever, never declining back into a "Big Crunch" or any other theory for the ultimate end of the universe. In essense, this makes your idea of an infinitely "expanding and contracting" universe impossible, sorry to say.

"Discovered" was it? As in it is an absolute fact huh? lol. Sorry I shouldn't laugh, but really dude do you think cosmologists regard such things as being absolute truths?

The Law of Conservation of Energy are physical constants that were a PRODUCT of the Big Bang, they did not exist before the Big Bang - where did you get that retarded idea from?

Please explain how you know this. Can you see beyond the big bang can you? You do know what a singularity is huh?

It is retarded to say anything about the state of the universe prior to the big bang unless you are saying "fuck knows".

I'm a bit more open to some atheistic ideas these days though, I quite like the idea that if the theory of "multiverses" were true, I might get the chance to experience life on a completely different planet in a completely different universe, but unfortunately there is a ton of evidence to the contrary that I can't ignore which points out the impossibility of this "sci-fi fantasy". I have to say though, fanatical atheists like you are just a joke to me now. I can't take any of you seriously anymore - they come up with all kinds of batshit-crazy ideas about the universe, any kind of idea that excludes a Creator, no matter how absurd or implausible, simply because they do not want to admit to the very real possibilty that our universe was created.

"You" will never experience anything other than your current existence even in a multiverse model of the universe. Your comments about sci-fi fantasy and batshit-crazy seems to say more about your prejudices of these concepts more than anything.

And that does not mean I "believe" in a multiverse, it means I can understand how one would function and how it would fit in with our current reality. You apparently cannot do this - even though it is quite plausible, albeit redundant, to consider the universe from a multiversal perspective.

The truth is we do not know what the universe is, even though some assume that they are smart enough to know exactly what it is. All that really means is that these people are arrogant and conceited. And probably not as smart as they think they are - for intellectual dishonesty is equivalent to stupidity.

I understand though that there are some people who just don't like the idea that our universe was created, and try to avoid it at all costs - so I don't get too bent out of shape about it anymore. I still have to have a bit of a chuckle at how utterly deluded some of them are though

And some people are so rigid in there thinking that they cannot conceive the possibility of anything contrary to their own beliefs as being worthy of being discussed or understood.

Don't respond to any of my posts douchebag.

Go back to church child, and learn some manners.

Reply #4972 Posted: May 19, 2008, 12:41:44 pm

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: Tiwaking!;718688
Cant ignore him. If I ignore him, he wins.

"the road to Auschwitz was built by hate but paved with indifference" - Sir Ian Kershaw

"I can't sleep now! People are WRONG on the INTERNET!"

Also, that quote is pretty goddamn good.

Reply #4973 Posted: May 19, 2008, 01:45:29 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: dirtyape;719027
All this proves is that Einstein evaluated the theory on it's merits - not on it's source. What does it matter where a theory comes from unless you are in the habit of being intellectually prejudiced?

Because morons on this forum are in a habit of being intellectually prejudiced, so it needs to be pointed out to them that a deeply religious person was responsible for arguably the most important discovery in scientifc history and that science and philosophy outside of science can logically co-exist if you don't submit yourself to sheer ignorance.

He was intelligent. People like to hear what intelligent people have to say. They tend to have informed perspectives.

Indeed. I wonder then if people at this forum would be interested in hearing George Lemaitre's views; or would they just disregard him as a religious nutter like they do everyone else. Also interesting that Einstein came to a somewhat theistic conclusion about the universe in his last years, something ignored by the media in their latest miscontrued propoganda article. Einstein must be rolling in his grave.

Proof? Oh, that's right - who needs proof huh?

Here you go. He also made similar claims in other interviews, that life on Earth must have been intelligently designed by alien beings from elsewhere in the universe.

[video]kNu8F01BD9k[/video]

And if those constants were not valued as they are then you would not be around to ask the question of who set them.

Yeah, exactly. If the physical constants did not exist at their precise values, basically nothing would exist. So the fact that the constants seem so precise and 'finely-tuned' seems to point to the universe having some kind of purpose.

Why is the anthropic principle so hard for religious people to grasp? The universe exists as it does because if it didn't exist this way then you would not exist either! You can only exist in a universe with these parameters.

So it seems the laws were designed or evolved in the first moments of the creation of the universe specifically with the intention for complex, intelligent, sentient beings like us to exist, doesn't it? Funny that eh!

Simple, if it didn't exist as it does you would not exist to ponder why it exists at all. The fact that you exist only proves that the universe is capable of existing in such a way that allows you to exist, nothing more.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the question I asked. Try again.

I think you are missing something fundamental. And I think that is that you appear to think that the observable universe is actually the entire universe. You believe there is no possibility of the universe existing in any other state other than what you see around you. And therefore the universe must be intelligently designed for how else would such a cosmic coincidence occur?

If you replace the single observable universe with infinite universes of differing permutations of cosmic constants than our universe occurring becomes an inevitability.

Yeah... this argument was created by atheists to try and explain why the physical constants are so perfectly tuned for the universe. Can you link to any scientific articles that support this theory? The idea that the finely-tuned constants that govern the universe are the inevitable result of infinite random constants from an infinite set of other universes is generally considered by most scientists to be absolute nonsense. Science fiction, pseudoscience at best - as Alan Guth says, "Anybody who doesn't accept the Big Bang is generally regarded by the scientific community as a crackpot." - and the Big Bang theory essentially (although perhaps not directly) says that there was NOTHING before the creation of the universe; zilch. zip. zero. nada. As I already pointed out, due to the fluctuation of time when it was first created there cannot have been ANYTHING before our universe. Nothing physical anyway. Time began with our universe, simple as that. Stephen Hawkings can further prove this in many of his theories.

And to think I actually constructed a "bat-shit crazy" hypothesis that adequately describes gods existence in a multi-verse model. What's more, my hypothesis is a certainty. Good thing you religious types don't like this Multi-verse stuff, as my hypothesis pretty much claims that a "god" must exist in a multi-verse.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that, assuming a theory of a multiverse were true, that a creator, or a first cause would still be necessary? Or is it your assumption that if it were true, it all came from nothing for no reason, or the 'multiverse' has always existed, or what...?

Ummm, those two things actually correlate. If there is no proof the soul isn't tied to consciousness (i.e. the soul may be tied to consciousness) then losing consciousness would mean the soul was void.

What is this soul thing anyway? Define please.

Yes, well, there has been very little scientific research on the soul or consciousness, so it's difficult to say either way. According to the scientific method it doesn't even exist, because it's not a physically observable phenomena (not in the traditional sense anyway)

Your soul is who you are, your personality, your mind, the consciousness that comprises of your emotions, experiences, dreams and memories.

No we don't, you're making an assumption. We know that observable time begun with the universe. We know NOTHING about what occurred before that, and whether time existed or not.

Fuck's sake - i'm not making any assumptions, we don't know exactly what was before the Big Bang, but we do know that time began with the Big Bang, and did not exist before. There cannot be other instances of time outside outside of the time that began our universe, it makes no sense.

And why is the idea that complex organisms cannot exist naturally unless they are created by an infinitely more complex creator is much more probable?

The simple fact is, anywhere we see intelligence, that intelligent must have been designed, or created.  Intelligence and order like what we observe in the universe today can not arise from nothing for no reason. Ie. a computer's Artificial Intelligence, is created by the intelligence of man. Therefore it is logical to assume that our intelligence must have a source. Organisms which do not possess intelligence or sentience, and are simply a natural part of the maintenance of Earth or nature itself, are a different matter.

Also see Richard Dawkins failed attemt at the 'Blind watchmaker' argument, which I can link to if you like.

If there were no purpose behind nature and evolution, complex beings like us wouldn't exist in the first place. See the C.S lewis quote in my last post about 'a universe without meaning would mean that we should never have discovered it has no meaning, for a universe without meaning would be a dark and empty universe'

"Discovered" was it? As in it is an absolute fact huh? lol. Sorry I shouldn't laugh, but really dude do you think cosmologists regard such things as being absolute truths?

Yes. If inflation proves to be correct, which it pretty much is, then the universe will continue expanding forever.

Scientific opinion has moved towards a flat Universe and the latest data confirm this with greater certainty than ever before.

Another result of the study is the prediction that the Universe will continue its steady expansion, which started at the Big Bang, and will not collapse into a "Big Crunch".

"It's a tremendously exciting result - and one that will mean rewriting the text books on the history of the Universe," said one of the research team, Professor Peter Ade at Queen Mary College, University of London.

The research is published in the journal Nature and in an accompanying commentary, Wayne Hu, of the US School of Natural Sciences, New Jersey, said: "The Boomerang result supports a flat Universe. A perfectly flat Universe will keep on expanding forever, because there is not enough matter to make it recollapse in a 'Big Crunch'."

The research backs the inflation theory of the Universe put forward in 1980, which suggests that the whole of the cosmos expanded from a single tiny point at the Big Bang. At that time, and for a short while after, space was curved because it was confined in a small region. However, the Universe's expansion has been so great that space has now been stretched to the point that it is essentially flat.

Reply #4974 Posted: May 19, 2008, 04:19:15 pm