Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
Quote from: dirtyape;719027
And that does not mean I "believe" in a multiverse, it means I can understand how one would function and how it would fit in with our current reality. You apparently cannot do this - even though it is quite plausible, albeit redundant, to consider the universe from a multiversal perspective.

It's actually really quite not plausible though. Go and dig up a thread called 'multiverse' that Ngati made and have a read of what I posted, and then tell me it's still plausible, and explain to me how you think it's plausible. I'm not saying it's impossible, just very unlikely in regards to some recent discoveries that have been made.

The truth is we do not know what the universe is, even though some assume that they are smart enough to know exactly what it is. All that really means is that these people are arrogant and conceited. And probably not as smart as they think they are - for intellectual dishonesty is equivalent to stupidity.

Wow, I didn't realise I was claiming to know exactly what the universe is, we don't even know what the 'dark energy' or 'anti-matter' is that makes up most of the universe and causes it to expand. What we do know is that the universe has not existed forever, and appears to have been created by something - a prediction we made thousands of years ago, coincidentally.

And some people are so rigid in there thinking that they cannot conceive the possibility of anything contrary to their own beliefs as being worthy of being discussed or understood.

Yeah, funny, that's the exact kind of arrogance that other people in this thread display on a regular basis.

Quote from: cobra;718274
im flattered - you have ignored me 2 or 3 times now

I've probably been purposefully ignoring you. Point out to me which posts you are referring to, or post them again, and I will respond best I can.

Reply #4975 Posted: May 19, 2008, 04:27:27 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: psyche;719216
science and philosophy outside of science can logically co-exist if you don't submit yourself to sheer ignorance.

Ever heard of the Philosophy of Science? This is different than the Philosophy (or Phenomenology) of Religion. Philosophy and Science can coexist peacefully, Religion and Science however....

Also interesting that Einstein came to a somewhat theistic conclusion about the universe in his last years, something ignored by the media in their latest miscontrued propoganda article. Einstein must be rolling in his grave.
It seems you have missed this post of mine (to be continued when I get home...) Here is the link for easy access,
http://forums.iconzarena.co.nz/showthread.php?t=27666&page=161

Yeah, exactly. If the physical constants did not exist at their precise values, basically nothing would exist. So the fact that the constants seem so precise and 'finely-tuned' seems to point to the universe having some kind of purpose.

See my linked post. It covers some of this.

So it seems the laws were designed or evolved in the first moments of the creation of the universe specifically with the intention for complex, intelligent, sentient beings like us to exist, doesn't it? Funny that eh!

Have you considered that we evolved according to those laws. In another (hypothetical) universe with different laws, we would be different.

and the Big Bang theory essentially (although perhaps not directly) says that there was NOTHING before the creation of the universe; zilch. zip. zero. nada. As I already pointed out, due to the fluctuation of time when it was first created there cannot have been ANYTHING before our universe.

Where does the creator fit into this?

There cannot be other instances of time outside outside of the time that began our universe, it makes no sense.

But a creator overlord makes perfect sense?

The simple fact is, anywhere we see intelligence, that intelligent must have been designed, or created.

Why is this a fact? Has it been conclusively proven?

Intelligence and order like what we observe in the universe today can not arise from nothing for no reason. Ie. a computer's Artificial Intelligence, is created by the intelligence of man. Therefore it is logical to assume that our intelligence must have a source.......Also see Richard Dawkins failed attemt at the 'Blind watchmaker' argument, which I can link to if you like.

That is failed reasoning. The Blind Watchmaker is a good analogy and is generally accepted. You portray a deep misunderstanding of evolution if you are positing the existence of a creator based on this.

If there were no purpose behind nature and evolution, complex beings like us wouldn't exist in the first place. See the C.S lewis quote in my last post about 'a universe without meaning would mean that we should never have discovered it has no meaning, for a universe without meaning would be a dark and empty universe'

C.S.Lewis was a deeply religious person and therefor had to make comments like this, for his own personal appeasement. I don't understand why a universe without meanig would be dark and empty? It can just as easily be filled with stars and galaxies etc.

What we do know is that the universe has not existed forever

Are you sure? We 'know' this do we? Maybe the universe in this phase but that doesn't discount the possibility of a prior universe.

Just my two cents worth.:sly:

Reply #4976 Posted: May 19, 2008, 05:00:45 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
so that youtube clip at 2:10.... "now I don't really beleive thats happened on this planet..."

why are you so retarded ?

Also the quotes you made, why do those people think atheists attack or rage against god? thats just wrong. religion is not god.

and the whole 'finely tuned constants' rubbish, it doesn't really matter what they were they had to be 'something' sure, something was always going to result from it, your making out that we'd either have what we have now or nothing else is possible. thats ludicrous.

Reply #4977 Posted: May 19, 2008, 05:43:36 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.

Reply #4978 Posted: May 19, 2008, 06:13:12 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Because morons on this forum are in a habit of being intellectually prejudiced, so it needs to be pointed out to them that a deeply religious person was responsible for arguably the most important discovery in scientifc history and that science and philosophy outside of science can logically co-exist if you don't submit yourself to sheer ignorance.

No, I don't think they are. I think you just choose to use this as an excuse to disregard their opinions by claiming they are prejudiced because they think you are wrong. I think they don't agree with you on the merits of what you say. I am tending to agree with them from what I've read of your assumptions.

Indeed. I wonder then if people at this forum would be interested in hearing George Lemaitre's views; or would they just disregard him as a religious nutter like they do everyone else. Also interesting that Einstein came to a somewhat theistic conclusion about the universe in his last years, something ignored by the media in their latest miscontrued propoganda article. Einstein must be rolling in his grave.

It depends if he talked sense or nonsense I believe. The problem with most religious folk is that they tend to attribute things to god... and god is a relative term depending on your beliefs. As there is no true proven definition of god then what value does attributing something to it have? Is god Yehwah? Allah? Budhah?

As there is no true answer to this question, just opinions, then by extension all arguments attributed to god are also invalidated.

Here you go. He also made similar claims in other interviews, that life on Earth must have been intelligently designed by alien beings from elsewhere in the universe.

I'll have to watch this later as I'm at work and/or cbf'd right now. If this is true then my view of Dawkin's the man will be degraded. But my view of most of what he says will be unaffected.

Yeah, exactly. If the physical constants did not exist at their precise values, basically nothing would exist. So the fact that the constants seem so precise and 'finely-tuned' seems to point to the universe having some kind of purpose.

I am beginning to fear that explaining this to you is futile.

Being "fine-tuned" is just an appearance. It appears this way because we could not see the universe in any other form - except for one that is fine tuned. If the universe were not fine tuned we would not be here to see it. That does not mean it was fine-tuned on purpose.

What you are saying is this: If you take a deck of cards, shuffle it, draw five cards, place cards back in the deck, reshuffle, rinse and repeat, then eventually when you draw a royal flush you have done so on purpose.

So it seems the laws were designed or evolved in the first moments of the creation of the universe specifically with the intention for complex, intelligent, sentient beings like us to exist, doesn't it? Funny that eh!

Intention? lol

Is it the intention of fire to burn?

Is it the intention of ice to melt?

Is it the intention of gravity to attract?

You breath superstition into science.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the question I asked. Try again.

You do not understand? You assume that the universe is designed for life - without first understanding what the universe is.

Yeah... this argument was created by atheists to try and explain why the physical constants are so perfectly tuned for the universe. Can you link to any scientific articles that support this theory? The idea that the finely-tuned constants that govern the universe are the inevitable result of infinite random constants from an infinite set of other universes is generally considered by most scientists to be absolute nonsense. Science fiction, pseudoscience at best - as Alan Guth says, "Anybody who doesn't accept the Big Bang is generally regarded by the scientific community as a crackpot." - and the Big Bang theory essentially (although perhaps not directly) says that there was NOTHING before the creation of the universe; zilch. zip. zero. nada. As I already pointed out, due to the fluctuation of time when it was first created there cannot have been ANYTHING before our universe. Nothing physical anyway. Time began with our universe, simple as that. Stephen Hawkings can further prove this in many of his theories.

Actually, this theory "the big bang" was first discovered by a religious fellow according to you. You see it is the big bang that says we cannot see what occurred prior to the singularity.

I am surprised you do not realise this. And honestly this draws your entire understanding of relativity into question.

You see a singularity is a "theorized" point in space-time of infinite curvature. If space-time curvature is infinite then you cannot make any observations beyond that point - because if light can not escape the gravity then no information can be communicated.

So, if we cannot make observations prior to the big bang how then can we say anything about it without making an assumption?

You are saying that time begun with the big bang - but how do you know this? How do you not know that time existed prior if you cannot see what was there before hand? You can observe dimensional unfolding in this universe, but that is this universe - this observable universe.

Anything prior to the big bang is part of the unobservable universe, to which for all intensive purposes of modern physics - we assume did not happen because it can have no impact on this universe. This does not mean nothing exists, it means that whatever existed prior doesn't matter a fucken fat rats arse because it can't influence anything in any way what-so-ever.

But, make no mistake - if you say nothing existed before the big bang you are making an assumption.

And i am my own mother fucken reference - quote me on that!

I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that, assuming a theory of a multiverse were true, that a creator, or a first cause would still be necessary? Or is it your assumption that if it were true, it all came from nothing for no reason, or the 'multiverse' has always existed, or what...?

No not a first cause. In a multi-verse there is no first cause, there just is. Actually multi-verse models solve the infinite regression problem imo. I'm surprised more theists don't jump on the multi-versal band wagon, but I can only presume that they haven't explored the theological implications.

Yes, well, there has been very little scientific research on the soul or consciousness, so it's difficult to say either way. According to the scientific method it doesn't even exist, because it's not a physically observable phenomena (not in the traditional sense anyway)

Your soul is who you are, your personality, your mind, the consciousness that comprises of your emotions, experiences, dreams and memories.

There has been lots of research into consciousness. I tend to agree with most of Penroses hypothesis but mainly because I am not in a position to think of anything better.

As for the soul, you have actually just described the brain. So soul = brain to theists? And there has been tons of research into the brain obviously.

You say that scientists claim the soul does not exist, well - perhaps you should actually properly define it as something that is not actually known to be something else.

Fuck's sake - i'm not making any assumptions, we don't know exactly what was before the Big Bang, but we do know that time began with the Big Bang, and did not exist before. There cannot be other instances of time outside outside of the time that began our universe, it makes no sense.

No, no we don't. Actually we know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about anything prior to the big bang. This is your fundamental failure. You believe we do.

You assume time did not exist based on what?

The simple fact is, anywhere we see intelligence, that intelligent must have been designed, or created.  Intelligence and order like what we observe in the universe today can not arise from nothing for no reason. Ie. a computer's Artificial Intelligence, is created by the intelligence of man. Therefore it is logical to assume that our intelligence must have a source. Organisms which do not possess intelligence or sentience, and are simply a natural part of the maintenance of Earth or nature itself, are a different matter.

If I had a $ for every time some theist tried to use this argument...

The logical fallacy of using mankind's creation of sophisticated tools as proof of an intelligent creator... look buddy, this kind of thing might work on kids or idiots that don't know any better, but really you are using this argument on the wrong audience here.

A computers "artificial intelligence" is mankind exploiting nature and mathematics of this universe in order to achieve a goal. Computers are tools. They are not intelligent. And there is no evidence that they ever could become sentient. If you think they can then you are making an assumption based on science-fiction writers imaginations.

Essentially what you have said is that an intelligent god must exist because man can use rocks to beat things to death.

And as for the segregation of sentient life from the non-sentient, honestly, what the fuck. How do you derive this? Why is it like this? Is there any reasons? You're just making shit up to fit your views aren't you.

Reply #4979 Posted: May 19, 2008, 06:28:10 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
If there were no purpose behind nature and evolution, complex beings like us wouldn't exist in the first place. See the C.S lewis quote in my last post about 'a universe without meaning would mean that we should never have discovered it has no meaning, for a universe without meaning would be a dark and empty universe'

C.S. Lewis was a author of fictions? Do you seek wisdom in such sources? He was being poetic. Not factual. "For a universe without meaning would be a dark and empty universe" does not rate as a scientific explanation I'm afraid.

It is prose.

Yes. If inflation proves to be correct, which it pretty much is, then the universe will continue expanding forever.

It looks that way at the moment, but then people used to think the Earth was flat and the sun orbited us.

Quote from: psyche;719226
Wow, I didn't realise I was claiming to know exactly what the universe is, we don't even know what the 'dark energy' or 'anti-matter' is that makes up most of the universe and causes it to expand. What we do know is that the universe has not existed forever, and appears to have been created by something - a prediction we made thousands of years ago, coincidentally.

Well you are actually saying you know how the universe works. You make all these assumptions as if you know for a fact that they are true. Example - you claim to know that time did not exist before the big bang - and that's pretty major. That's pretty much limiting the possible ways the universe can work - and for what reason?

A guess?

Quote from: psyche;719226
Yeah, funny, that's the exact kind of arrogance that other people in this thread display on a regular basis.

But not you?

Reply #4980 Posted: May 19, 2008, 06:28:46 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Reply #4981 Posted: May 19, 2008, 06:38:42 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
No!

Keep this thread open!
It's good that we are discussing (or trying to) this topic and I like the exercise!

I know we aren't all going to agree, but it's a meaty subject.

If you don't like this thread, gtfo imo, but don't close it!

Reply #4982 Posted: May 19, 2008, 06:48:49 pm

Offline detonator7

• Just settled in
  • detonator7 has no influence.
Quote from: dirtyape;719338
but then people used to think the Earth was flat

and at that same time the bible said it was round. Isiah 40:22 "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth"

Reply #4983 Posted: May 19, 2008, 07:48:48 pm
Silverstone SST-KL02B | Corsair HX-520W | Intel E8400 | Asus ATI EAH4850 | Supertalent DDR2 4GB | Asus P5Q PRO | Samsung DVD Drive | 640GB  1TB HDD

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: detonator7;719412
and at that same time the bible said it was round. Isiah 40:22 "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth"

you realise circles can be flat? circle and round have totally different meanings.

btw 8.30 tonight on history channel is "life after people" i recommend as very good tv

Reply #4984 Posted: May 19, 2008, 08:21:42 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: detonator7;719412

The problem is the scriptures are full of lots of symbolism, and unfortunately some make the mistake of interpreting it literally, when it is written in a way that would relate to and be understandable primarily to the people of the time - we can still understand it, we just have to look at it a bit differently. It's still pretty incredible that some of the predictions the Bible made all those years ago turned out to be true, including the most important one; that the universe was created. Coincidences? perhaps...

I just started reading the bible not too long, enjoying it so far, the first passages of Genesis are incredibly powerful. Very simple, but powerful nonetheless;  and it's full of so much useful wisdom that could potentially make this world a better place to be if they were only given more recognition by the everyday man.

Reply #4985 Posted: May 19, 2008, 08:46:48 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: dirtyape;719337
It depends if he talked sense or nonsense I believe. The problem with most religious folk is that they tend to attribute things to god... and god is a relative term depending on your beliefs. As there is no true proven definition of god then what value does attributing something to it have? Is god Yehwah? Allah? Budhah?

Considering he came up with THE most important scientific theory in history, no, I don't believe he talked nonsense. He was an incredibly intelligent guy, as many religious people - and religious scientists are.

If there is a 'God' that is the source of the universe, then we can attribute the existence of everything in the universe to God. So the most basic definition of God is that God is the source of everything.

I'll have to watch this later as I'm at work and/or cbf'd right now. If this is true then my view of Dawkin's the man will be degraded. But my view of most of what he says will be unaffected.

I don't mind him, he's a bit of a joke to me though - he has some decent arguments, but then he says some absolute crap aswell. He really is a 'fanatical atheist', thankfully I choose to pay attention to more rational, openminded thinkers rather than fanatically biased individuals, in the same way that I wouldn't pay attention to a fanatically over-the-top religious person.

Being "fine-tuned" is just an appearance. It appears this way because we could not see the universe in any other form - except for one that is fine tuned. If the universe were not fine tuned we would not be here to see it. That does not mean it was fine-tuned on purpose.

What you are saying is this: If you take a deck of cards, shuffle it, draw five cards, place cards back in the deck, reshuffle, rinse and repeat, then eventually when you draw a royal flush you have done so on purpose. .

Well, actually we could exist to observe a universe that isn't so finely-tuned. Or atleast, some things could still exist, the point is not so much that the universe is finely-tuned but that is finely-tuned in a way that it is almost perfect.

So, if we cannot make observations prior to the big bang how then can we say anything about it without making an assumption?

We can make intellectually-respectable assumptions or predictions based on what evidence is available. Because we cannot realistically find what was before the Big Bang using science, and it is ultimately unknowable (most likely, but definetely in our lifetime), is the reason why man chooses to adopt philosophies or speculate other ideas to try and explain our, admittedly quite extraordinary existence.

Anything prior to the big bang is part of the unobservable universe, to which for all intensive purposes of modern physics - we assume did not happen because it can have no impact on this universe. This does not mean nothing exists, it means that whatever existed prior doesn't matter a fucken fat rats arse because it can't influence anything in any way what-so-ever.

Yeah, spot on. But that's not good enough for a curious creature like ourselves, I would rather die having a belief, that I consider to be respectable and viable based on what I have learnt in my life, than no belief whatsoever.

No not a first cause. In a multi-verse there is no first cause, there just is. Actually multi-verse models solve the infinite regression problem imo. I'm surprised more theists don't jump on the multi-versal band wagon, but I can only presume that they haven't explored the theological implications.

You would still need to explain how physical matter could eternally exist without a cause, and furthermore physical matter outside of the constraint of time and matter that comprises this universe. Have you had a look at the 'Multiverse' thread yet?

As for the soul, you have actually just described the brain. So soul = brain to theists? And there has been tons of research into the brain obviously

You say that scientists claim the soul does not exist, well - perhaps you should actually properly define it as something that is not actually known to be something else.

Okay, perhaps a better description would be just that your soul is essentially who you are, it's what divides from you every other person, every other consciousness.

There is so much we don't know about consciousness and the brain, we don't even know what dreams are really. In fact, it's possible that consciousness isn't even entirely linked to the brain, an example being some patients that have recalled experiences while their brain was shutdown and they had been declared clinically braindead. Aswell as some other weird cases.

Why is man the only creature on this planet that gained sentient consciousness and self-awareness?

Perhaps we are linked together by some kind of "cosmic consciousness" that we evolved from? Who knows. So many questions we can ask.

uuh, i'll respond to your other comments later maybe, need a break from typing.. :/

Reply #4986 Posted: May 19, 2008, 08:49:08 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;719254
Ever heard of the Philosophy of Science? This is different than the Philosophy (or Phenomenology) of Religion. Philosophy and Science can coexist peacefully, Religion and Science however....

Why can't religion and science co-exist? Science attempts to explain the how, religion (and) philoshopy attempt to explain the why. I know religion has no place in scientific study, but we already know religion is not directly related to science, does not mean an intelligent person can not be religious and accept science at the same time :/

Do you think you could have come up with a coherent argument to explain why George Lemaitre logicially could not have believed in God and accepted his scientific findings at the same time?

It seems you have missed this post of mine (to be continued when I get home...) Here is the link for easy access,
http://forums.iconzarena.co.nz/showthread.php?t=27666&page=161

Man you're dense. The article you linked to is quoting Einstein before he had even heard of the Big Bang theory. After the theory was proposed to him he completely changed his mind about some of his views, which is more accurately expressed in the quote that I posted. If Einstein had such a hatred for religion and theism in his later years, I doubt he would have gone to such effort to promote the scientifc theory of a Catholic priest.

Geez, do you take every old tabloid article you read at face value?

Have you considered that we evolved according to those laws. In another(hypothetical) universe with different laws, we would be different.

Yes, everything evolved according to the laws. But if the laws were not as exact as they are, nothing would evolve.

C.S.Lewis was a deeply religious person and therefor had to make comments like this, for his own personal appeasement. I don't understand why a universe without meanig would be dark and empty? It can just as easily be filled with stars and galaxies etc.

Err, actually he was an atheist, and was trying to come up with an argument for atheism being an intellectually-acceptable position for him to continue living by, but in failing to do so turned to religion.

Read the quote again. If you can't understand it, well, that's your problem...

Are you sure? We 'know' this do we? Maybe the universe in this phase but that doesn't discount the possibility of a prior universe.

Yes, we do. Otherwise the Big Bang would not be the most widely accepted scientific theory for the beginning of the universe, and instead the Steady State theory or another theory would be more widely accepted.

C.S. Lewis was a author of fictions? Do you seek wisdom in such sources? He was being poetic. Not factual. "For a universe without meaning would be a dark and empty universe" does not rate as a scientific explanation I'm afraid.

What the hell does his occupation have to do with his belief about life? Of course it doesn't rate as a scientific explanation, it's a philosophical argument >_<

It looks that way at the moment, but then people used to think the Earth was flat and the sun orbited us.

The shape of the universe is flat; it's been proven. Cosmic inflation predicts that the universe will continue expanding forever.

The research is published in the journal Nature and in an accompanying commentary, Wayne Hu, of the US School of Natural Sciences, New Jersey, said: "The Boomerang result supports a flat Universe. A perfectly flat Universe will keep on expanding forever, because there is not enough matter to make it recollapse in a 'Big Crunch'."

Well you are actually saying you know how the universe works. You make all these assumptions as if you know for a fact that they are true. Example - you claim to know that time did not exist before the big bang - and that's pretty major. That's pretty much limiting the possible ways the universe can work - and for what reason?

We know that time did not exist before the Big Bang, because it has been scientifically proven that time as we know it began with the Big Bang - what is so difficult for you to grasp about that? Of course, speculating that we could scientifically find out what was before the Big Bang and before spacetime began is probably ultimately pointless.

There may have existed some state 'prior' to the Big Bang, but it is a state not described by its location in time or space. This state preceded the existence of our time and space.

to quote Stephen Hawkings:

The no boundary proposal, has profound implications for the role of God in the affairs of the universe. It is now generally accepted, that the universe evolves according to well defined laws. These laws may have been ordained by God, but it seems that He does not intervene in the universe, to break the laws. However, until recently, it was thought that these laws did not apply to the beginning of the universe. It would be up to God to wind up the clockwork, and set the universe going, in any way He wanted. Thus, the present state of the universe, would be the result of God's choice of the initial conditions. The situation would be very different, however, if something like the no boundary proposal were correct. In that case, the laws of physics would hold, even at the beginning of the universe. So God would not have the freedom to choose the initial conditions. Of course, God would still be free to choose the laws that the universe obeyed. However, this may not be much of a choice. There may only be a small number of laws, which are self consistent, and which lead to complicated beings, like ourselves, who can ask the question: What is the nature of God? Even if there is only one, unique set of possible laws, it is only a set of equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations, and makes a universe for them to govern. Is the ultimate unified theory so compelling, that it brings about its own existence. Although Science may solve the problem of ~how the universe began, it can not answer the question: why does the universe bother to exist? Maybe only God can answer that.

But not you?

I try to remain open-minded. That's why i'm agnostic. Can't say the same for most others in this thread.

SCIENCE EXPLAINS EVERYTHING, INVISIBLE PINK UNICORN FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER NATURAL SELECTION ECT. RELIGIOUS PEOPLE SUCK LOL.

I am hoping that by discussing this stuff and sharing my views (which tend to be primarily theistic, I admit) it will get people thinking and we could move past the stage of ridiculous Flying Spaghetti Monster analogies and hopefully start discussing other interesting ideas which don't get talked about very often because some can't progress past the unrealistic notion that science explains everything.  I don't mind discussing multiverse theories and what-not but I will remain adamant that it is not really plausible because no-one has yet to convince me otherwise.

Reply #4987 Posted: May 19, 2008, 08:50:54 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: psyche;719452
The problem is the scriptures are full of lots of symbolism, and unfortunately some make the mistake of interpreting it literally, when it is written in a way that would relate to and be understandable primarily to the people of the time - we can still understand it, we just have to look at it a bit differently. It's still pretty incredible that some of the predictions the Bible made all those years ago turned out to be true, including the most important one; that the universe was created. Coincidences? perhaps...

I just started reading the bible not too long, enjoying it so far, the first passages of Genesis are incredibly powerful. Very simple, but powerful nonetheless;  and it's full of so much useful wisdom that could potentially make this world a better place to be if they were only given more recognition by the everyday man.

People were just as smart when the bible was penned as they are today. The only thing that has changed is the amount of knowledge. Most of the subjects in the bible are simple common sense, and some people like to over sell how awesome it is.

Please, share some of this "useful wisdom" with us so that we may comment on exactly how useful it is.

Reply #4988 Posted: May 19, 2008, 09:56:26 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
You're all arguing with a loon.

Reply #4989 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:02:39 pm

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Ease up with the heavy language Cat, or I'll have to report you.

Reply #4990 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:04:53 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: psyche;719452
It's still pretty incredible that some of the predictions the Bible made all those years ago turned out to be true, including the most important one; that the universe was created. Coincidences? perhaps...

Predictions? Which ones?

True? Are you absolutely sure you've got that right?

Quote from: psyche;719453
If there is a 'God' that is the source of the universe, then we can attribute the existence of everything in the universe to God. So the most basic definition of God is that God is the source of everything.

That is a big 'if'!

thankfully I choose to pay attention to more rational, openminded thinkers rather than fanatically biased individuals, in the same way that I wouldn't pay attention to a fanatically over-the-top religious person.

That may well be the way you think of yourself, but you haven't displayed this.

Well, actually we could exist to observe a universe that isn't so finely-tuned. Or atleast, some things could still exist, the point is not so much that the universe is finely-tuned but that is finely-tuned in a way that it is almost perfect.

Almost perfect for us to have evolved, but it still doesn't need the existence of a creator. Ockham's Razor.

I would rather die having a belief, that I consider to be respectable and viable based on what I have learnt in my life, than no belief whatsoever.

I choose to believe science over religion. Religion really isn't viable unless you want a way to control people through fear and ignorance.
But that's just me. Maybe I prefer fact over fiction?

Why is man the only creature on this planet that gained sentient consciousness and self-awareness?

How do you know this? Elephants exhibit self-awareness, Cetaceans exhibit self-awareness and sentient consciousness....

Quote from: psyche;719457
Man you're dense.

^There's the psyche we know and love. I was waiting for the insults, thought  s/he wouldn't be able to contain him/herself for long!

Yes, everything evolved according to the laws. But if the laws were not as exact as they are, nothing would evolve.

And you call me dense? How do you know this?

I try to remain open-minded. That's why i'm agnostic. Can't say the same for most others in this thread.

Yep, you're so open-minded it echoes in there!

I am hoping that by discussing this stuff and sharing my views (which tend to be primarily theistic, I admit) it will get people thinking and we could move past the stage of ridiculous Flying Spaghetti Monster analogies and hopefully start discussing other interesting ideas which don't get talked about very often because some can't progress past the unrealistic notion that science explains everything.  I don't mind discussing multiverse theories and what-not but I will remain adamant that it is not really plausible because no-one has yet to convince me otherwise.

But the flying spaghetti monster is just as plausible as the judao-christian god, or allah, or thor or zeus. Can you disprove the existence of any of these? Because from where I'm sitting you only accept one creator and this invalidates the other gods.....but why? why not worship zeus, or shiva? They had creation myths too, you might like those also.

Err, actually he was an atheist, and was trying to come up with an argument for atheism being an intellectually-acceptable position for him to continue living by, but in failing to do so turned to religion.

Read the quote again. If you can't understand it, well, that's your problem...

This was about C.S. Lewis. He was religious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis

http://www.cslewis.org/

But then, you probably missed the subtlety in his Narnia chronicles as well.
So he turned his back on atheism...shame...still doesn't mean that he was right by choosing religion (specifically christianity). Also, scientific knowledge has progressed since then. Religious knowledge appears to be stagnant and circular.

Reply #4991 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:04:56 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: Zarkov;719507
You're all arguing with a loon.

If you can't think of anything intelligent to say, resort to petty insults instead!

I guess Einstein and Lemaitre were loons according to you too? Good going numbnuts.

Reply #4992 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:06:44 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: psyche;719511
If you can't think of anything intelligent to say, resort to petty insults instead!

Interesting, especially given the timbre of some of your replies:

It's morons like you that make this forum shit.

I think that's an absolute crock of shit, and you're a delusional brainwashed atheist nutter.

What a loser, waste of space

he's a gigantic noobie.

And I'm sick of you people acting like a bunch of cocks for no reason, so fuck all of you

you dumb fucks

That's what YOU believe ya fucking dipshit

Nah, see, it's because you're just acting like a pompous know-it-all dickhead now, you might think you know it all but you don't know shit.

You really are a fucking moron aren't you?

That'll about do it :bounce:

Also, could you please give links when quoting others as it makes it easier to find the source?

Thanks

Reply #4993 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:22:17 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;719509
Predictions? Which ones?

True? Are you absolutely sure you've got that right?

I'm not going to get into a bible debate, because i'm not religious and I haven't even read the entire bible, so I can't defend it.

But one of the most important predictions, obviously, that the universe was CREATED instead of just always existing. That the earth is round (spherical) before it could even be scientifically proven. That earth rests atop a formless void - that life is in the blood, not in the brain as scientists thought for a long time, there are many things.

Almost perfect for us to have evolved, but it still doesn't need the existence of a creator. Ockham's Razor.

Yeah, instead they came from nothing, from nothing, for absolutely no fucking reason at all. Makes perfect sense.

I choose to believe science over religion. Religion really isn't viable unless you want a way to control people through fear and ignorance.
But that's just me. Maybe I prefer fact over fiction?

Maybe you just prefer being an ignorant dumbass instead of an open-minded intellectual capable of grasping reality in more ways than one?

How do you know this? Elephants exhibit self-awareness, Cetaceans exhibit self-awareness and sentient consciousness....

Oh no they do not, numerous tests have been done regarding this. Place an elephant in front of a mirror and it doesn't know what the fuck it's looking at. That's not self-awareness. We are the only truly self-aware, conscious-aware, morally-aware beings on this planet.

^There's the psyche we know and love. I was waiting for the insults, thought  s/he wouldn't be able to contain him/herself for long!

Maybe try actually reading my posts next time then.

But the flying spaghetti monster is just as plausible as the judao-christian god, or allah, or thor or zeus. Can you disprove the existence of any of these? Because from where I'm sitting you only accept one creator and this invalidates the other gods.....but why? why not worship zeus, or shiva? They had creation myths too, you might like those also.

Bringing up Flying Spaghetti Monsters and other crap only shows how absolutely deluded you are and incapable of forming any coherent argument - we're not talking about your little fantasies, we're talking about the first cause for the existence of the universe - if you want to limit yourself to talking about fairy's and bullshit which have absolutely no relevance to the existence of everything then go read some fucking fantasy books. If you had tried to talk to people like Einstein or Lemaitre about this shit they would laughed in your face like the muppet that you are.

This was about C.S. Lewis. He was religious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis

http://www.cslewis.org/

But then, you probably missed the subtlety in his Narnia chronicles as well.
So he turned his back on atheism...shame...still doesn't mean that he was right by choosing religion (specifically christianity). Also, scientific knowledge has progressed since then. Religious knowledge appears to be stagnant and circular.

There is a very good reason why atheism is still largely a minority in every country in the world my friend, it's because: atheism is shit.

Reply #4994 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:29:02 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;719519
Interesting, especially given the timbre of some of your replies:

Yeah, doesn't matter about all the shit that I get for no fucking reason though eh?

Reply #4995 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:30:46 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!

Reply #4996 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:36:09 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: Black Heart;719285
so that youtube clip at 2:10.... "now I don't really beleive thats happened on this planet..."

"It could be that at some earlier time somewhere in the universe a civilization evolved by, probably, some kind of Darwinian means to a very, very high level of technology and designed a form of life that they seeded onto, perhaps, this planet,"  "Now that is a possibility, and an intriguing possibility."

- Richard Dawkins.

Mr. Mathis said Mr. Dawkins' observation was amusing. "If it's a space alien, it's 'an intriguing possibility.' If it's God, you're delusional," he said. "That pretty much sums up the debate."

Also the quotes you made, why do those people think atheists attack or rage against god? thats just wrong. religion is not god.

What? No sense make you.

and the whole 'finely tuned constants' rubbish, it doesn't really matter what they were they had to be 'something' sure, something was always going to result from it, your making out that we'd either have what we have now or nothing else is possible. thats ludicrous.

It's not ludicrous, that's the universe we live in. It might be crazy and unbelievable, but yes without the "finely-tuned" physical constants, nothing could exist. No complex life atleast, and no planets or stars.

Reply #4997 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:39:07 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: Zarkov;719532
Haha.

Joke's on you buddy, I just completely owned you and you fail at coming up with any response except 'haha'? Now kindly STFU and save yourself from any further embarrasement.

Cats are shit too.

Reply #4998 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:42:55 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: psyche;719526
But one of the most important predictions, obviously, that the universe was CREATED instead of just always existing. That the earth is round (spherical) before it could even be scientifically proven. That earth rests atop a formless void - that life is in the blood, not in the brain as scientists thought for a long time, there are many things.

and you have the temerity to call me a dumbass!
It is not proven that the universe was created.
Round is not the same as spherical!
Earth doesn't rest upon a formless void.

Yeah, instead they came from nothing, from nothing, for absolutely no fucking reason at all. Makes perfect sense.

Why does there have to be a reason?
Why does it have to make sense?

Maybe you just prefer being an ignorant dumbass instead of an open-minded intellectual capable of grasping reality in more ways than one?

I lol'd

Bringing up Flying Spaghetti Monsters and other crap only shows how absolutely deluded you are and incapable of forming any coherent argument - we're not talking about your little fantasies, we're talking about the first cause for the existence of the universe - if you want to limit yourself to talking about fairy's and bullshit which have absolutely no relevance to the existence of everything then go read some fucking fantasy books. If you had tried to talk to people like Einstein or Lemaitre about this shit they would laughed in your face like the muppet that you are.

What makes 'god' any more valid than the flying spaghetti monster etc?

Reply #4999 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:43:38 pm