Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: psyche;719453
Considering he came up with THE most important scientific theory in history, no, I don't believe he talked nonsense. He was an incredibly intelligent guy, as many religious people - and religious scientists are.

The most important theory in history is a matter of opinion not fact. Big bang theory wouldn't rate in my top 10.

Are you saying this fellow deserves recognition equal to Planck, Einstein, Newton?

Newton has influenced more people than Jesus. Believe it.

If there is a 'God' that is the source of the universe, then we can attribute the existence of everything in the universe to God. So the most basic definition of God is that God is the source of everything.

Everything, except for God.

Well, actually we could exist to observe a universe that isn't so finely-tuned. Or atleast, some things could still exist, the point is not so much that the universe is finely-tuned but that is finely-tuned in a way that it is almost perfect.

Then how do you know that this observable universe is perfect?

Why use the word perfect to describe it?

Do you consider this perfection? Could god not make something better? Is this the limit of his perfection? I could imagine a better universe and I'm Human - wouldn't that be insulting to a Deity?

We can make intellectually-respectable assumptions or predictions based on what evidence is available. Because we cannot realistically find what was before the Big Bang using science, and it is ultimately unknowable (most likely, but definetely in our lifetime), is the reason why man chooses to adopt philosophies or speculate other ideas to try and explain our, admittedly quite extraordinary existence.

We? Who are you talking about? Who are you representing?

And you admit you are making assumptions now? (bolded)

Make no mistake - all assumptions about what occurred before the big bang are BLIND. Not "intellectually-respectable". ABSOLUTELY BLIND. I emphasized that because it's important. Event the laws of mathematics may have been different.

There is no evidence that can survive a singularity. Well none that I am aware of. Now would be a good time for you to say something intelligent that disproves me. Otherwise, you are wrong.

Once more just so that point really sinks in: BLIND ASSUMPTION.

Yeah, spot on. But that's not good enough for a curious creature like ourselves, I would rather die having a belief, that I consider to be respectable and viable based on what I have learnt in my life, than no belief whatsoever.

I know it's spot on, nice of you to agree with me. Because it seems from your other comments that you were not aware of this. For if you were, then surely you would realise that most of what you are saying is conjecture. Assumption. Guesswork. Not based on anything solid, tangible, or provable.

Solely the work of your imagination.

So why did you disagree with me when I said you were making assumptions?

You would still need to explain how physical matter could eternally exist without a cause, and furthermore physical matter outside of the constraint of time and matter that comprises this universe. Have you had a look at the 'Multiverse' thread yet?

Who said physical matter exists externally to anything? Strings exist within the braneworlds formed in 11 dimensional space.

Okay, perhaps a better description would be just that your soul is essentially who you are, it's what divides from you every other person, every other consciousness.

Still sounds like a brain... please identify the quality that a Soul has that the brain cannot possess.

There is so much we don't know about consciousness and the brain, we don't even know what dreams are really. In fact, it's possible that consciousness isn't even entirely linked to the brain, an example being some patients that have recalled experiences while their brain was shutdown and they had been declared clinically braindead. Aswell as some other weird cases.

Yes there is a lot to learn. But a lot has been learnt already. And a lot of what has been learnt may be wrong, or not completely true. But generally, and this is a biggy, most people who do not have brains do not have personalities, emotions, or any of the qualities you specified as belonging to the soul.

In fact "soul" was used to describe things which are now attributed to the brain during a period in our history when mankind thought the heart done all the thinking.

As in a period of anatomical stupidity.

Why is man the only creature on this planet that gained sentient consciousness and self-awareness?

Do you even know what sentience is? Cows are sentient. Dogs. Most mammals have feelings you know.

Self awareness is different. Self awareness is, as Penrose puts it, periods of consciousness at the electron level. Each electron achieves consciousness at a specific period, creatures with sufficiently large brains - and therefore more electrons within them - achieve consciousness more often.

Whales must be some seriously conscious mother fuckers.

Perhaps we are linked together by some kind of "cosmic consciousness" that we evolved from? Who knows. So many questions we can ask.

Quantum theory suggests this possibility. If such does exist it is well below the conscious level.

Reply #5000 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:45:53 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;719544
and you have the temerity to call me a dumbass!
It is not proven that the universe was created.

Yes it is. It's called the Big Bang theory. I would suggest looking it up.

Round is not the same as spherical!

It's not? Ok, my mistake, but you know what I meant.

Earth doesn't rest upon a formless void.

Probably a misaccurate quote on my behalf, but yes it does. It doesn't rest on top the back of a Giant Floating Cosmic Turtle, does it?

Why does there have to be a reason?
Why does it have to make sense?

Because if the universe didn't make sense, NOTHING WOULD MAKE SENSE.

What makes 'god' any more valid than the flying spaghetti monster etc?[/QUOTE]

Because the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a made-up analogy by a delusional atheist, whereas the word "God" is the word we use for the theoretical cause of physical existence. If you can't figure that out, then you fail at life. Einstein thought it was a valid term to use, Stephen Hawkings finds it a valid term to use, are you smarter than Einstein and Hawkings and everyone else that mentions God?

Reply #5001 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:51:20 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: dirtyape;719546
The most important theory in history is a matter of opinion not fact. Big bang theory wouldn't rate in my top 10.

Are you saying this fellow deserves recognition equal to Planck, Einstein, Newton?

Of course!!

Quote from: dirtyape;719546
Newton has influenced more people than Jesus. Believe it.

Newton also believed in God!

Although the laws of motion and universal gravitation became Newton's best-known discoveries, he warned against using them to view the universe as a mere machine, as if akin to a great clock. He said, "Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion. God governs all things and knows all that is or can be done."

Anyway, I've had enough for tonight. Will respond tomorrow maybe.

Reply #5002 Posted: May 19, 2008, 10:55:43 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: psyche;719457
What the hell does his occupation have to do with his belief about life? Of course it doesn't rate as a scientific explanation, it's a philosophical argument >_<

I was discussing science and you started discussing philosophy so I explained the context in which the C.S. Lewis statement should be taken by someone else reading the thread.

The shape of the universe is flat; it's been proven. Cosmic inflation predicts that the universe will continue expanding forever.

Yes and in another 100 years men may be laughing at how we thought the universe was flat.

We know that time did not exist before the Big Bang, because it has been scientifically proven that time as we know it began with the Big Bang - what is so difficult for you to grasp about that? Of course, speculating that we could scientifically find out what was before the Big Bang and before spacetime began is probably ultimately pointless.

I am having trouble understanding you because you are making no sense. Earlier you said you agree we cannot predict before the BB, and now you say there is no time before the BB. That is a prediction.

You have regressed into making blind assumptions again.

And you are actually referring to observable time when you say "Time as we know it" above.

Physics is limited to make observations from within it's own observable universe. You cannot see beyond a singularity.

There may have existed some state 'prior' to the Big Bang, but it is a state not described by its location in time or space. This state preceded the existence of our time and space.

to quote Stephen Hawkings:

But there is definitely no time in this state? So how many dimensions were there? Only 3? 2? 1?? 0?

I try to remain open-minded. That's why i'm agnostic. Can't say the same for most others in this thread.

You are not agnostic. You believe in intelligent design. That means you believe there is an intelligent designer. That is not agnostic.

You are a theist. Actually, you sound more like a Deist. But I'm not sure yet.

Reply #5003 Posted: May 19, 2008, 11:35:44 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: psyche;719549
Newton also believed in God!

And if Newton had existed in ancient Egypt he would have believed in Amen-Ra. If he was Greek he would have believed in Zeus. If he was Maori, he would have believed in Rangi.

Hitler also believed in God! He influenced a lot of people too...

Reply #5004 Posted: May 19, 2008, 11:44:22 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: psyche;719548
Probably a misaccurate quote on my behalf, but yes it does. It doesn't rest on top the back of a Giant Floating Cosmic Turtle, does it?

Actually, yes it does.
You just can't see it because god doesn't want you to.

Reply #5005 Posted: May 20, 2008, 12:02:23 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: psyche;719511
If you can't think of anything intelligent to say, resort to petty insults instead!

I guess Einstein and Lemaitre were loons according to you too? Good going numbnuts.

lol

Reply #5006 Posted: May 21, 2008, 09:29:40 pm

Offline bobziolla

• Addicted
  • bobziolla has no influence.

Reply #5007 Posted: May 21, 2008, 09:31:08 pm
One cool cat :orange:

Offline SittingDuck

• Addicted
  • SittingDuck has no influence.
Quote from: bobziolla;720768
oh my thats rather funny.

Yes Sir Bob, quite... Spot of Tea now Chap?

Reply #5008 Posted: May 21, 2008, 09:32:24 pm

Offline bobziolla

• Addicted
  • bobziolla has no influence.

Reply #5009 Posted: May 21, 2008, 09:33:42 pm
One cool cat :orange:

Offline SittingDuck

• Addicted
  • SittingDuck has no influence.
Why Don't mind if i do, -eats crumpet-... Why i do believe these are just simply the best crumpets i have ever devoured, you must let me know thy secret Bob

Reply #5010 Posted: May 21, 2008, 09:38:03 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;720766
lol

Good lord... quoting Richard Dawkins with an evil-looking demon thingie in your sig. Scaaary. What, are you a satanist now? You really have stooped to the bottom of the failure pit haven't you Killer..

Richard Dawkins... The same guy that rants about fairy's and unicorns, and thinks that life on Earth being intelligently designed by advanced alien beings is an "intriguing possibility".

Atheists: mankinds biggest joke.

What I was actually referring to was the hypocrisy of Zarkov calling me a loon yet failing to offer any kind of coherent argument to this discussion whatsoever, much like you aswell! Why am I a loon Zarkov? Is it because you know i'm actually making some very good points and it pisses you off and makes you insecure? Grace us with your immense wisdom, if you will. I'm also well aware of the hypocrisy of some weird fucker pretending to be a cat on the internet having the nerve to call me a loon. Come on - what kind of guy has such an obsession with cats? That's not a man, that's a girly-man!

Reply #5011 Posted: May 22, 2008, 12:48:32 am

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: Pyromanik;719598
Actually, yes it does.
You just can't see it because god doesn't want you to.

You're not an idiot because of bad genes, it's because God doesn't like you ;)

Reply #5012 Posted: May 22, 2008, 12:55:01 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: psyche;720860
Good lord... quoting Richard Dawkins with an evil-looking demon thingie in your sig. Scary. You really have stooped to the bottom of the failure pit haven't you Killer..

The same guy that rants about fairy's and unicorns, and thinks that life on Earth being intelligently designed by advanced  alien beings is an "intriguing possibility".

no offence - but you are one of the most ignorant people i have ever come across - all you do is misquote scientists and you have not added anything of value to this discussion - yes we all know you have your retarded world view - all that proves is that you are a retard - you are not smart enough to understand concepts so you should leave this thread to the adults

Reply #5013 Posted: May 22, 2008, 01:02:32 am

Offline psyche

• Just settled in

One of the frequent attacks that Dawkins levies against religion- in particular Christianity, the religion he was brought up in- is that it inhibits and stultifies intellectual progress. Certainly the Vatican has had a rather withering view of scientists for most of the past two hundred years and at times has proved slow to wake up to wonders of the cosmos that scientists have uncovered during that time. However….

Consider the following three discoveries:
(a)   The Big Bang Theory
(b)  Hubble’s Law
(c)  The Laws of Genetic Succession.

The Big Bang Theory:
The first proponent of the Big Bang Theory was a Belgian man called George Lemaitre. One of the most revered astrophysicists of his time, Lemaitre had put forward his theory of how the Universe began as early as 1931. Lemaitre’s theory was subsequently confirmed by the discovery of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR) which showed that the level of background microwave radiation was the same everywhere in the universe and therefore must have had a common point of origin.

Hubble’s Law:
Most of us have probably heard of Hubble because the world’s most famous telescope was named after him. Edwin Hubble, however is better known for the law which has forever become associated with his name: Hubble’s Law. This law states that the redshift in light coming from distant galaxies is proportional to their distance. By applying this law astronomers can gauge the distance between objects such as galaxies and stars. However although accredited with the discovery back in 1929 it was in fact George Lemaitre who discovered the law first and who had published his paper on it in 1927. As such it is Lemaitre who can be accredited with laying down one of the fundamental principles of cosmology. Incidentally Hubble’s - or, to give credit where credit is due- Lemaitre’s law has been invoked to prove time and again that the universe is expanding at an increasingly higher rate.

The Laws of Genetic Succession:
The year 1865- Having spent a number of years cross-breeding various kinds of garden peas a gentleman called Gregor Mendel eventually formulated the foundational laws of what was to become the field of modern genetics from which men like Richard Dawkins would weave their rainbows! Thanks to Mendel and his successors in the field we now have the Human Genome Project which has undertaken to map out every human gene with a view to understanding how, for example, hereditary diseases are transmitted.

And this is where the Church comes in…You see neither Lemaitre nor Mendel could afford to spend as much time in their chosen pursuits as they would have possibly liked. Like Albert Einstein, who worked as a patent clerk during the day and worked on this theory of general relativity at night, Lemaitre and Mendel also held down steady day-time jobs. When he wasn’t dabbling in astrophysics, Lemaitre heard confessionals and said mass in his capacity as a Roman Catholic Priest! For his part Mendel prayed in silence in his monastery as an Augustinian monk!

In other words three of the most important finds in science owe their initial discovery to men of God. Incidentally both of these men remained men of the cloth until their dying day. What’s more their Church assisted them in their scientific endeavours and even promoted them : Lemaitre was promoted to monsignor in 1960 by Pope John XX111while Mendel was appointed chief abbot of his monastery following his discovery.

Are men like Lemaitre and Mendel to be called “delusional” as Sir Richard Dawkins would call them simply because they believed in God? Did their faith prevent them from asking the most profound questions a human mind can ask regarding the very nature of the Cosmos and the life flowing within it? Did not both men find a happy co-existence between two apparently disparate frames of reference namely religion and science?

Even if Einstein didn’t have established faith systems in mind when he would mention the word “religion” it is perhaps fitting that we quote him here: “religion without science is lame and science without religion is blind”. (Italics added) For men like Lemaitre and Mendel, awe-inspiring mystery was not meant to be left mysterious- it was meant to be explored. They did not believe that to have faith meant that one had to have blinkers on. Their faith in reason went hand in hand with a faith in a higher power.

Also, I came across this hilarious article at a website called PositiveAtheism, by a guy claiming the entire Big Bang theory is a conspiracy cooked up by religious people to try and trick scientists, and that George Lemaitre brainwashed Einstein into believing him.

The impasse between the Big Bang and the steady-state theory was broken when Hubble found out that the universe is in expansion. Einstein was shocked by the expanding universe demonstrated by the findings of Edwin Hubble. Lemaître saw this as a great opportunity and rushed to California. In the early 1930s, as reported by Timothy Ferris (The Whole Shebang, 1997), in a lecture in the library of Mt. Wilson observatory offices, Lemaître declared solemnly to an audience which included Einstein: "In the beginning of everything we had fireworks of unimaginable beauty. Then there was the explosion followed by the filling of heavens with smoke. We come to late to do more than to visualize the splendor of creation's' birthday." Not even Moses would be so eloquent. Lemaître's oratory was so brilliant that even Einstein became convinced by this new version of the biblical cosmology.

Unbelievingly, after resisting for a long time, Einstein, and most of the scientific establishment, capitulated to the idea of the Big Bang by the influence of no less than a monk: George Lemaître.

This Catholic monk succeeded in infiltrating into the secular science the preposterous idea of a Biblical universe being created out of nothing. By who? By God, naturally! Congratulations to Abée Lemaître. Once more religion defeated science. Not for long, we hope!

Gold.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/huascar.htm

Reply #5014 Posted: May 22, 2008, 01:04:12 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: psyche;720860

You claim to be an agnostic, so surely atheists are no more of a joke than theists, since you sit between them.

You do realise that the accepted word of the christian god says liars are sinful?

Reply #5015 Posted: May 22, 2008, 01:05:29 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: cobra;720864
no offence - but you are one of the most ignorant people i have ever come across - all you do is misquote scientists and you have not added anything of value to this discussion - yes we all know you have your retarded world view - all that proves is that you are a retard - you are not smart enough to understand concepts so you should leave this thread to the adults

Bahaha, all that shows is that you can't come up with any coherents arguments so you'll just try and diss me to make me look bad instead. Truly pathetic.

Oooh I see, I have a 'retarded world view', so George Lemaitre, Einstein, Gregor Mendel, Newton - they were all retards man, 'cause Cobra said so.

These guys are all retards too, because Cobra fuckin' said so:

Simon C. Morriss
Francis Collins
Kenneth R. Miller
Robert t. Bakker
Peter Grunberg
Galileo Galilei
Sir Francis Bacon

Nicholas Copernicus
Johannes Kepler
Robert Boyle
Michael Faraday
William Thomson Kelvin
Max Planck
Henry F. Schaefer
Allan Sandage
Sir Robert Boyd
Carlos Chagas Filho
Kurt Gödel
William Buckland
Blaise Pascal
René Descartes

I love atheists like you, I don't even have to argue to make you look bad and your arguments look weak, you practically do it yourself!

How am I misquoting scientists? If a scientist doesn't want their quote to be used they shouldn't make the statement in the first place. Funny that accuse me of misquoting scientists, but you don't accuse Ngati of misquoting Einstein. Hmm, wonder why...

Reply #5016 Posted: May 22, 2008, 01:15:22 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: psyche;720869
Bahaha, all that shows is that you can't come up with any coherents arguments so you'll just try and diss me to make me look bad instead. Truly pathetic.

Oooh I see, I have a 'retarded world view', so George Lemaitre, Einstein, Gregor Mendel, Newton - they were all retards man, 'cause Cobra said so.

These guys are all retards too, because Cobra fuckin' said so:

Simon C. Morriss
Francis Collins
Kenneth R. Miller
Robert t. Bakker
Peter Grunberg
Galileo Galilei
Sir Francis BaconNicholas Copernicus
Johannes Kepler
Robert Boyle
Michael Faraday
William Thomson Kelvin
Max Planck

I love atheists like you, I don't even have to argue to make you look bad and your arguments look weak, you practically do it yourself!

you dont understand my arguments and your world view isn't the same as those scientists you listed - but good to see you keep your ego in check

Reply #5017 Posted: May 22, 2008, 01:18:11 am

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: cobra;720871
you dont understand my arguments and your world view isn't the same as those scientists you listed - but good to see you keep your ego in check

How do you know I don't understand your arguments? If I don't understand them it's probably because they are full of shit. But let's hear them.

How do you know what my world view is and that it isn't the same, or atleast similar to the beliefs of those scientists? You probably didn't even read any of the links. Are you implying that, because I recognize the immense intelligence of these scientists and that there also must have been some very good reasons that such intelligent people also believed in a higher power, that makes me a retard?

No sorry, the only retards are the little minority group of deluded Dawkins-sheep-followers that constantly rant about fairy's and unicorns and evil Christian people.

Reply #5018 Posted: May 22, 2008, 01:37:56 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: psyche;720872
How do you know I don't understand your arguments? If I don't understand them it's probably because they are full of shit. But let's hear them.

How do you know what my world view is and that it isn't the same, or atleast similar to the beliefs of those scientists? You probably didn't even read any of the links. Are you implying that, because I recognize the immense intelligence of these scientists and that there also must have been some very good reasons that such intelligent people also believed in a higher power, that makes me a retard?

No sorry, the only retards are the little minority group of deluded Dawkins-sheep-followers that constantly rant about fairy's and unicorns and evil Christian people.

i know you dont understand my arguments because i use my reading

you claimed you were agnostic also your are stupid and ignorant, no even close to the level of those scientists

have you read any of Dawkins books?, you know he has books other than the god delusion? Books highly recommended by Professors in Biology?

You use intelligent people believing in God as an argument (a lot of the time misquoting and misrepresenting their world view or ignoring historical context) then why are christian nobel prize winners in science a minority?

Reply #5019 Posted: May 22, 2008, 01:58:21 am

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: cobra;720873
i know you dont understand my arguments because i use my reading

you claimed you were agnostic also your are stupid and ignorant, no even close to the level of those scientists

I don't even know what the fuck you just said

have you read any of Dawkins books?, you know he has books other than the god delusion? Books highly recommended by Professors in Biology?

I have read many of Dawkins arguments and essays ect. aswell as the refutes to his arguments. Who cares about biology? I would be more interested in the opinions of physicists, astronomers, cosmologists and philosophers when it comes to the subject of God; not biologists. But unfortunately i'm not really interested in the views of fanatically-biased atheists, I am happy to research ideas from more rational thinking atheists, but not Dawkins.

Dawkins just reminds me again of the quote, "It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists"

You use intelligent people believing in God as an argument (a lot of the time misquoting and misrepresenting their world view or ignoring historical context) then why are christian nobel prize winners in science a minority?

Easy, because a lot of scientists that mention God get treated with skepticism by some other scientists and it can also risk their career. There was an article that I was going to post that talks about the numerous scientists that deliberately do not talk about God or their true beliefs publically in fear of it risking their scientific career, but I can't find the article atm.. Were it not for Einstein and other scientists help promoting George Lemaitre's theory, we might not have ever known about the beginning of the universe.. (many were too stubborn to accept his proposal because of his religious belief)

How is some of the greatest minds in our history that believed in God as the cause of the universe not a decent argument to use? You are saying that I am a retard for thinking that the universe was created, you are also saying that these many scientists are/were retards aswell.

You keep saying that im misquoting scientists, but how? You don't seem to be able to explain how I am misquoting scientists. In fact the quotes I have been posting are very relevant, you are just too stubborn and bull-headed to see it. Ngati misquoted Einstein, and I corrected him by posting a more relevant quote. So if you want to piss and moan about someone miquoting scientists go piss and moan to Ngati...

Reply #5020 Posted: May 22, 2008, 02:18:41 am

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
lololol

seriously thou psyche you are a living joke. your beliefs change every time they are proven wrong but instead of accepting it your beliefs become even more outlandish and ridiculous.

please, PLEASE read back through your own posts in the last few pages and realise how ignorant you really are.

you claim to have studied all this from reading books but i doubt you have read anything other than wikipedia. Ive even pulled you up on it before in this thread where you used direct copy and paste quotes to make yourself look smart.

Im sure someday when you stop taking those pills and smoking that grass that addles your brain that you will understand what we are trying to tell you but for some reason i doubt that is very likely, infact it may already be too late.

Reply #5021 Posted: May 22, 2008, 08:01:32 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: psyche;720874
How is some of the greatest minds in our history that believed in God as the cause of the universe not a decent argument to use? You are saying that I am a retard for thinking that the universe was created, you are also saying that these many scientists are/were retards aswell.

Everybody, stay perfectly still!!!

His vision is based on movement!

Reply #5022 Posted: May 22, 2008, 09:14:44 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: psyche;720874

Also, this statement is a blatant argument ad populum - an 'argument of the many' or an 'argument from authority' which states that just because a lot of people think its true, doesn't necessarily make it true. A large number of people believe in the existence of intelligent life on other planets, but it doesn't make it true.

Similarly, saying that great minds from throughout history believed in God, so thus it must be true that there is a possibility God exists, is an argument ad populum, though on a smaller scale. I think I speak for most of us when I say that just because Rene Descartes believed in God, doesn't mean I'm now convinced there is a possibility God exists; similarly, just because Richard Dawkins says God does not exist, doesn't mean I'm now convinced there is a possibility he doesn't.

Reply #5023 Posted: May 22, 2008, 09:22:51 am

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;720884
lololol

seriously thou psyche you are a living joke. your beliefs change every time they are proven wrong but instead of accepting it your beliefs become even more outlandish and ridiculous.

please, PLEASE read back through your own posts in the last few pages and realise how ignorant you really are.

you claim to have studied all this from reading books but i doubt you have read anything other than wikipedia. Ive even pulled you up on it before in this thread where you used direct copy and paste quotes to make yourself look smart.

Im sure someday when you stop taking those pills and smoking that grass that addles your brain that you will understand what we are trying to tell you but for some reason i doubt that is very likely, infact it may already be too late.

This is the BEST response you can come up with? I claimed to have studied this all from books? What the fuck? When did I claim that? What books have you read? Harry Potter? I think it's been clearly established by now that I have read more material related to these subjects and have signicantly more knowledge than what you do too.

What exactly are you trying to tell me eh Killer? You haven't been trying to tell me shit, all you do is come in and have a fat cry about me all the time because that is all your capable of - that is the extent of your intelligence and imagination when it comes to this topic, isn't it? What's wrong with copying and pasting quotes if they support what I am saying? THAT'S WHAT THE INTERNET IS FOR YOU INBRED MONKEY.

You can't even defend your own atheism. You're a sheep, following the flock like a brainless moron. I've noticed you don't seem to be participating in the discussion anymore, aside from insulting me - why is this?  I have read all of my posts throroughly, I know exactly what I am saying and I know exactly the arguments I am using. Can you say the same? All you do is pick some random shit quote from Richard Dawkins, slap it in your sig, and all of a sudden this is supposed to make you a badass atheist? Wow.

Wipe your mouth man, you've got some shit dribbling out of it.

Reply #5024 Posted: May 22, 2008, 12:17:43 pm