Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
If Einstein was right, and he understood the universe clearly, then he would not have failed at his unified theory.

Although he probably had some dumbshit ringing his doorbell to ask him about his religious beliefs right on the verge of cracking it.

There are no scientific theories now or ever that REQUIRE a god to exist. Actually it's really funny to think Einstein could have at any point just stopped &  said "god did it" and stopped his work.

Reply #5050 Posted: May 22, 2008, 03:18:57 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
"ever" is a bit presumptious in some ways. I do agree with you , but only in a pedantic way, based on the position that any entity described scientifically will cease to be a god.

Lets say that no scientific theories supported by the data we currently have, require the universe to be created i.e intentionally made by a sentient entity.

reply to edit: It's also possible for someone to firmly believe that some gods or other did it, but continue with scientific enquiry to figure out how.

Reply #5051 Posted: May 22, 2008, 03:25:11 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
I was going to say, since i've had my chance to rant about my views over the last few pages, let's hear some of your guy's views and beliefs instead; let's discuss the 'multiverse' theory or something else for a while, just preferably something more interesting than the usual religion-bashing; I'll try my best to respond with any criticism fairly.

anyway, bbl to respond to your posts Cobra/Blackheart..

Reply #5052 Posted: May 22, 2008, 03:30:10 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;721112
"ever" is a bit presumptious in some ways. I do agree with you , but only in a pedantic way, based on the position that any entity described scientifically will cease to be a god.

Lets say that no scientific theories supported by the data we currently have, require the universe to be created i.e intentionally made by a sentient entity.

reply to edit: It's also possible for someone to firmly believe that some gods or other did it, but continue with scientific enquiry to figure out how.

I think BH is thinking about it differently. No scientific theory now or ever requires a god because in that situation god would presumably function as a macguffin. And assuming that god is all-knowing etc, I'd expect being a macguffin would be well below him.

Reply #5053 Posted: May 22, 2008, 03:30:55 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Read this article - was very interesting.
Not sure how it applies to this thread, but at least its different to the same old bickering between psyche and everyone.

Space Euphoria: Do Our Brains Change When We Travel in Outer Space?

In February, 1971, Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell experienced the little understood phenomenon sometimes called the “Overview Effect”. He describes being completely engulfed by a profound sense of universal connectedness. Without warning, he says, a feeing of bliss, timelessness, and connectedness began to overwhelm him. He describes becoming instantly and profoundly aware that each of his constituent atoms were connected to the fragile planet he saw in the window and to every other atom in the Universe. He described experiencing an intense awareness that Earth, with its humans, other animal species, and systems were all one synergistic whole. He says the feeling that rushed over him was a sense of interconnected euphoria. He was not the first—nor the last—to experience this strange “cosmic connection”.

Rusty Schweikart experienced it on March 6th 1969 during a spacewalk outside his Apollo 9 vehicle: “When you go around the Earth in an hour and a half, you begin to recognize that your identity is with that whole thing. That makes a change…it comes through to you so powerfully that you’re the sensing element for Man.” Schweikart, similar to what Mitchell experienced, describes intuitively sensing that everything is profoundly connected.

Their experiences, along with dozens of other similar experiences described by other astronauts, intrigue scientists who study the brain. This “Overview Effect”, or acute awareness of all matter as synergistically connected, sounds somewhat similar to certain religious experiences described by Buddhist monks, for example. Where does it come from and why?

Andy Newberg, a neuroscientist/physician with a background in space medicine, is learning how to identify the markers of someone who has had the experience. “You can often tell when you’re with someone who has flown in space,” he says, “It’s palpable.” Andy scans brains for a living: praying nuns, transcendental mediators, and others in the act of focused states.

Newberg can pinpoint regions in subjects’ gray matter that correlate to these circumstances. Newberg is seriously looking at how to fly equipment that could study—in action—the brain functions of space travelers. If this Overview Effect is a real, physiological phenomenon—he wants to watch it happen.

Full read:
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/05/space-euphoria.html

Reply #5054 Posted: May 22, 2008, 03:44:59 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: psyche;720869
Oooh I see, I have a 'retarded world view', so George Lemaitre, Einstein, Gregor Mendel, Newton - they were all retards man, 'cause Cobra said so.

Strawman argument. Cobra made no reference to any of those people, it is you saying this not him. You are putting words into his mouth and then discrediting his argument using those conjured words.

Dishonesty. Shame.

Quote from: psyche;720869
How am I misquoting scientists? If a scientist doesn't want their quote to be used they shouldn't make the statement in the first place. Funny that accuse me of misquoting scientists, but you don't accuse Ngati of misquoting Einstein. Hmm, wonder why...

Oh dear, where to begin...

1. Misrepresenting big bang theory as being proven, i.e. being the actual truth and not a possible truth.
Ngati Grim: "It is not proven that the universe was created."  <-- correct
Psyche: "Yes it is. It's called the Big Bang theory. I would suggest looking it up." <-- fail

2. Misrepresenting Richard Dawkins by misquoting him.
Psyche: "Recently, Richard Dawkins claimed that all life on Earth, originated from a one-cell organism that was delivered to the planet by intelligent alien beings." <-- fail
Blackheart: "so that youtube clip at 2:10.... 'now I don't really beleive thats happened on this planet...' " <-- Correct

3. Denying the evidence of Zoological studies into sentience and self awareness.
Ngati Grim: "How do you know this? Elephants exhibit self-awareness, Cetaceans exhibit self-awareness and sentient consciousness...." <-- correct
Psyche: "Oh no they do not, numerous tests have been done regarding this. Place an elephant in front of a mirror and it doesn't know what the fuck it's looking at. That's not self-awareness. We are the only truly self-aware, conscious-aware, morally-aware beings on this planet." <-- fail

Ref:
Monkeys, apes, mirrors and minds: The evolution of self-awareness in primates

Quote:
"To date, only humans, orangutans and chimpanzees have passed objective tests of mirror-recognition."

4. Misrepresenting Relativity and the Big Bang Theory (my personal favorite).
Psyche: "We already KNOW that TIME itself began with our universe, so how the fuck could anything physical have existed eternally outside of our universe? Whatever that 'force' is that existed outside the constrains of time logically then must have been 'supernatural', not physical." <-- incorrect
dirtyape: "No we don't, you're making an assumption. We know that observable time begun with the universe. We know NOTHING about what occurred before that, and whether time existed or not." <-- correct
Psyche: "Fuck's sake - i'm not making any assumptions, we don't know exactly what was before the Big Bang, but we do know that time began with the Big Bang, and did not exist before. There cannot be other instances of time outside outside of the time that began our universe, it makes no sense." <-- fail

Ref:
Big Bang Wiki
Gravitational Singularity Wiki

Quote:
Extrapolation of the expansion of the universe backwards in time using general relativity yields an infinite density and temperature at a finite time in the past.[20] This singularity signals the breakdown of general relativity.

Quote from: psyche;720865
Also, I came across this hilarious article at a website called PositiveAtheism, by a guy claiming the entire Big Bang theory is a conspiracy cooked up by religious people to try and trick scientists, and that George Lemaitre brainwashed Einstein into believing him.

Gold.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/huascar.htm

So do you think this guy speaks for all atheists?

Shall I start quoting all the batshit crazy theists? Shall I presume that they are speaking on your behalf?

Perhaps you should read http://fstdt.com (Fundies Say The Darndest Things).

Quote from: psyche;720874
Dawkins just reminds me again of the quote, "It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists"

This also applies to you, you believe the atheist reality (non-existence of deities) does not exist, yet you fight to prove it wrong.

Anyway, this quote paints Ghandi as a fool for not understanding the human desire to stand up for your beliefs.

Easy, because a lot of scientists that mention God get treated with skepticism by some other scientists and it can also risk their career. There was an article that I was going to post that talks about the numerous scientists that deliberately do not talk about God or their true beliefs publically in fear of it risking their scientific career, but I can't find the article atm.. Were it not for Einstein and other scientists help promoting George Lemaitre's theory, we might not have ever known about the beginning of the universe.. (many were too stubborn to accept his proposal because of his religious belief)

And now we can add Conspiracy Theorist to your list of achievements. Congrats.

Science evaluates on the merits of ones findings, not some prejudice against ones belief system.

The irony is that historically things were precisely the opposite of what you suggest. In fact atheists were murdered by theists quite frequently. Denying god was considered in the same light as witchcraft.

"There is no god? Burn him!" Believe it.

How is some of the greatest minds in our history that believed in God as the cause of the universe not a decent argument to use? You are saying that I am a retard for thinking that the universe was created, you are also saying that these many scientists are/were retards aswell.

This clumsy attempt to use this straw man argument only serves to discredit you further. Aristotle believed in Zeus. Was he then a retard? Because by your logic, he was. Your logic. Not ours - yours.

You are also speaking from authority and it does not make a point any more correct. What if some of the greatest minds were religious? These people are considered great minds because of their scientific achievements, not because of their creed.

A great artist is not necessarily a great writer.

And as I expected you didn't reply to any of my other posts. You are very predictable.

Reply #5055 Posted: May 22, 2008, 03:48:13 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
nice post ape,

arni/woohoo when i said "ever" I meant historically, I'm not into predicting the future. and also meant widely accepted theories, not intelligent design flights of fancy pants.

Reply #5056 Posted: May 22, 2008, 04:03:17 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: dirtyape;721128
Strawman argument. Cobra made no reference to any of those people, it is you saying this not him. You are putting words into his mouth and then discrediting his argument using those conjured words.

Cobra was claiming that I am retard for thinking the universe was created. If he seriously believes i'm a retard for thinking that, then he thinks everyone else who believes the universe was created with purpose is a retard; which include people like Einstein, Lemaitre, Newton ect ect.

1. Misrepresenting big bang theory as being proven, i.e. being the actual truth and not a possible truth.
Ngati Grim: "It is not proven that the universe was created."  <-- correct
Psyche: "Yes it is. It's called the Big Bang theory. I would suggest looking it up." <-- fail

The Big Bang theory is all but proven. As more and more new evidence mounts, all of it is pointing to a finite universe that evolved from a point of singularity some billion years ago and is steadily expanding today. Alan Guth: "Anyone who doesn't accept the Big Bang theory is essentially considered by the community as a crackpot." And the Big Bang theory is essentially the creation of the universe, it's the 'coming into being' of all physical existence as we know it.

2. Misrepresenting Richard Dawkins by misquoting him.
Psyche: "Recently, Richard Dawkins claimed that all life on Earth, originated from a one-cell organism that was delivered to the planet by intelligent alien beings." <-- fail
Blackheart: "so that youtube clip at 2:10.... 'now I don't really beleive thats happened on this planet...' " <-- Correct

Did you see this post that I quoted a couple of pages ago?

"It could be that at some earlier time somewhere in the universe a civilization evolved by, probably, some kind of Darwinian means to a very, very high level of technology and designed a form of life that they seeded onto, perhaps, this planet," "Now that is a possibility, and an intriguing possibility."

- Richard Dawkins.

Mr. Mathis said Mr. Dawkins' observation was amusing. "If it's a space alien, it's 'an intriguing possibility.' If it's God, you're delusional," he said. "That pretty much sums up the debate."

Coincidentally, this is exactly what the Raëlians believe.

Rael presents us with a third option: that all life on earth was created by advanced scientists from another world.

These are the Raëlians:

3. Denying the evidence of Zoological studies into sentience and self awareness.

Quote:
"To date, only humans, orangutans and chimpanzees have passed objective tests of mirror-recognition."

Oh wow. I guess we should start dressing up chimps and allowing them a fair education aswell and the right to vote eh?

[4. Misrepresenting Relativity and the Big Bang Theory (my personal favorite).

That is exactly right. We don't know exactly what was before the Big Bang, and we may never know, but we do know that spacetime BEGAN with the universe.

See if this gives you a better understanding:

However, the big bang was not what we consider to be a conventional explosion. Instead, the model is of the expansion of space. the 'explosion' is one filling space with all of the particles, rushing away from one another. What existed prior to this event is completely unknown, and at present is a matter of pure speculation.
The big bang did not occur at any point in time or space. The big bang created time and space. The singularity did not appear in time or space, but everything, space, time, energy and matter, began inside the singularity. Particles of matter and antimatter began rushing apart from one another, creating time and space as they moved through the vacuum where nothing existed before.

This also applies to you, you believe the atheist reality (non-existence of deities) does not exist, yet you fight to prove it wrong.

I don't really fight to prove it wrong, like I said atheism is a bit of a joke to me, I just don't take it any of it very seriously because I can't find much of any merit in any atheistic ideas about the universe. If people can seriously believe that the existence of everything that we know came from nothing for absolutely no reason or purpose, that is their intellectual failing, not mine.

Anyway, this quote paints Ghandi as a fool for not understanding the human desire to stand up for your beliefs.

Wait, Ghandi didn't stand up for his beliefs? GHANDHI?

And now we can add Conspiracy Theorist to your list of achievements. Congrats.

Science evaluates on the merits of ones findings, not some prejudice against ones belief system.

The irony is that historically things were precisely the opposite of what you suggest. In fact atheists were murdered by theists quite frequently. Denying god was considered in the same light as witchcraft.

It is actually true that many scientists don't speak publically about their beliefs due to risking their career. If I could find the article you would see it is very common due to the stigma of religious connotations in scientific study.

Lots of fucked up shit happened in medieval times. I was talking about present-day time, not thousands of years ago.

This clumsy attempt to use this straw man argument only serves to discredit you further. Aristotle believed in Zeus. Was he then a retard? Because by your logic, he was. Your logic. Not ours - yours.

Nope, he wasn't a retard. He believed in a 'higher power' as the most plausible explanation of existence as we know it, he just happened to call it "Zeus".

You are also speaking from authority and it does not make a point any more correct. What if some of the greatest minds were religious? These people are considered great minds because of their scientific achievements, not because of their creed.

Actually they are probably considered great minds based on their merits in their scientific study and outside it. To say they were only considered great minds solely because of their scientific discoveries is a bit ignorant, and insulting to their memory.

And as I expected you didn't reply to any of my other posts. You are very predictable.

Haven't had a chance yet, I need to do a bit of research before I can come up with a decent reply to some of your posts (if at all)

Reply #5057 Posted: May 22, 2008, 04:28:15 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
very nice posts flea and ape.

I think some people just have a hard time believing that they are not here for any specific purpose, that they are here purely by chance. But once they stop believing they have a divine purpose they can then truly understand everything around them did not come from a supernatural entity.

Reply #5058 Posted: May 22, 2008, 05:49:58 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;721125
Read this article - was very interesting.
Not sure how it applies to this thread, but at least its different to the same old bickering between psyche and everyone.

Full read:
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/05/space-euphoria.html

Very cool article, it's my opinion that this "cosmic connection" comes from the fact that we are connected to the universe, in more ways than one.

I believe I have experienced this feeling also, but it was more of a "connection" with nature than the whole universe.

Quote from: KiLL3r;721206
very nice posts flea and ape.

I think some people just have a hard time believing that they are not here for any specific purpose, that they are here purely by chance. But once they stop believing they have a divine purpose they can then truly understand everything around them did not come from a supernatural entity.

My post isn't good though, oh no way that just isn't possible!!

The majority of scientists are/were of the opinion that anyone who believes the universe is a product of mere chance is absolutely deluding themselves. Including Einstein, and I wholeheartedly agree with them.

What exactly makes you believe the universe could be the product of mere chance? Please explain.

Reply #5059 Posted: May 22, 2008, 05:59:24 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: psyche;721214
themselves. Including Einstein, and I wholeheartedly agree with them.

What exactly makes you believe the universe could be the product of mere chance? Please explain.

Everything happens by chance. just look at our history. Look at dinosaurs if they hadnt of been killed off by an asteroid do you still think we would be the dominant species?

Of course not, but by mere chance that asteroid hit the earth and wiped them out giving humanity free reign to become the dominant species.

So the same applies to the universe. Sure we don't know what caused it but chances are it was an accident, it definitely wasn't caused by a supernatural being with an intelligent design. Why create dinosaurs and wipe them out?

Explain to me how intelligent design explains extinction?

Reply #5060 Posted: May 22, 2008, 06:18:36 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;721229
Everything happens by chance. just look at our history. Look at dinosaurs if they hadnt of been killed off by an asteroid do you still think we would be the dominant species?

Of course not, but by mere chance that asteroid hit the earth and wiped them out giving humanity free reign to become the dominant species.

So the same applies to the universe. Sure we don't know what caused it but chances are it was an accident, it definitely wasn't caused by a supernatural being with an intelligent design. Why create dinosaurs and wipe them out?

Explain to me how intelligent design explains extinction?

I'm not really sure what dinosaurs have anything to do with it. Sure, there is randomness in the universe today but to say that you believe the universe is just one big "cosmic accident" is pretty silly. Again i'm trying to find an article that relates to this, but I can't find it at the moment.

Sure you have a good point if we are talking about a God that created the entire universe only specifically for us with only us (humans) in mind, but personally I don't think that is a realistic belief (well it could be I guess, considering how unbelievably unique Earth is compared to most other planets)

And no, everything does not happen by only chance. Is it chance that the fine-tuned physical constants that govern everything in the universe turned out so perfectly aswell?

The statistical improbability of the universe and all physical existence coming into existence from nothing by mere CHANCE, is extremely high. You still haven't really explained how you believe the universe could have come from nothing or just always existed by chance or randomness alone.

Reply #5061 Posted: May 22, 2008, 06:30:21 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: psyche;721234

And no, everything does not happen by only chance. Is it chance that the fine-tuned physical constants that govern everything in the universe turned out so perfectly aswell?

Whats to say they are perfect?

How do we know they arnt screwed up and if they were perfect we'd all be able to fly and live 1000's of years without aging?

Also maybe the reason they do suit us perfectly is because we evolved. Im sure if they were different in some way we could have ended up looking totally different.

i thought you didnt believe everything scientist say but now your using them to back your arguments :confused:

Reply #5062 Posted: May 22, 2008, 06:38:04 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;721239
Whats to say they are perfect?

How do we know they arnt screwed up and if they were perfect we'd all be able to fly and live 1000's of years without aging?

Also maybe the reason they do suit us perfectly is because we evolved. Im sure if they were different in some way we could have ended up looking totally different.

i thought you didnt believe everything scientist say but now your using them to back your arguments :confused:

Well, because if they were different we would either be crushed by immense gravity and thus wiped out forever, or we wouldn't even exist, or no stars and planets could exist if the physical constants were even a tiny bit different.

We evolved according to the laws, the laws didn't evolve according to us.

I don't believe most of what some scientists say, like Richard Dawkins for example. I choose to pay attention to the more rational-thinking intellectuals. I'm not sure what made you think I don't believe anything scientists say; I think you are still stuck with this illogical idea that somehow religion and philosophy are in direct conflict with science. This is simply not the case, don't let the whole stupid 'Intelligent design. VS evolution' debate warring over in the United States at the moment fool you - I made this mistake not long ago aswell.

Reply #5063 Posted: May 22, 2008, 06:45:42 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: psyche;721154
Cobra was claiming that I am retard for thinking the universe was created. If he seriously believes i'm a retard for thinking that, then he thinks everyone else who believes the universe was created with purpose is a retard; which include people like Einstein, Lemaitre, Newton ect ect.

I don't really think anyone needs to claim you are a retard, your comments are enough to establish this as a observable truth. Not for your belief in creation, but for the way you go about justifying it.

And yes Newton, Einstein, or any other person justified creation in the manner in which you do then they too would be considered retards. But they did not, did they, they were much more eloquent.

Heaven forbid, some even addressed the subject objectively.

The Big Bang theory is all but proven. As more and more new evidence mounts, all of it is pointing to a finite universe that evolved from a point of singularity some billion years ago and is steadily expanding today. Alan Guth: "Anyone who doesn't accept the Big Bang theory is essentially considered by the community as a crackpot." And the Big Bang theory is essentially the creation of the universe, it's the 'coming into being' of all physical existence as we know it.

All but proven? Like Newtons laws of motion?

Or like relativity? Quantum mechanics?

Big Bang theory relies on other theories, so until we have a unified theory the big bang is not "all but proven".

I don't think you even understand what a scientific theory really is.

Did you see this post that I quoted a couple of pages ago?

Did you see the word "could" in Dawkins statement? Do you know what "could" means? It does not mean "did".

Another misrepresentation.

And yes, aliens could have seeded earth. But there is no evidence to suggest this actually occurred.

Oh wow. I guess we should start dressing up chimps and allowing them a fair education aswell and the right to vote eh?

Judging by the comment above it appears as if someone already has.

That is exactly right. We don't know exactly what was before the Big Bang, and we may never know, but we do know that spacetime BEGAN with the universe.

More paradoxical bullshit. If you can't know anything about what occurred before the big bang then how can you say time did not exist?

See if this gives you a better understanding:

Good grief. What was that supposed to prove? That you are condescending as well as obnoxious?

Is this so hard to grasp. Observable space-time was created in the big bang, as above, but because it started with a singularity then no predictions can be made about anything beyond that point. Therefore it is impossible to say if space-time also existed prior to the big bang.

It cannot be said any plainer.

But you think we can predict that no space-time existed before the big bang - right?

Tell me, what observation did you make that allowed you to know that no space-time existed prior to the big bang?

I don't really fight to prove it wrong, like I said atheism is a bit of a joke to me, I just don't take it any of it very seriously because I can't find much of any merit in any atheistic ideas about the universe. If people can seriously believe that the existence of everything that we know came from nothing for absolutely no reason or purpose, that is their intellectual failing, not mine.

So you are prejudiced and ignorant?

Wait, Ghandi didn't stand up for his beliefs? GHANDHI?

Okay, i'll let you have that one. I made a spelling mistake - hey it happens. I can accept my failures.

Can you?

It is actually true that many scientists don't speak publically about their beliefs due to risking their career. If I could find the article you would see it is very common due to the stigma of religious connotations in scientific study.

Or, perhaps religious scientists are just shit at their jobs?

I met a religious theoretical physicist, his name was Bojan. He was on the Orkut forums. He tried to prove that the sun went around the Earth by constructing a non-inertial frame of reference where the earth was stationary.

Most physicists would consider this a bit of a joke, I mean I could construct a  non-inertial frame of reference on my cock and that would make it the centre of the universe as well.

Yet to him it seemed to provide solace that the bible was not incorrect.

Awesome.

Lots of fucked up shit happened in medieval times. I was talking about present-day time, not thousands of years ago.

Yes, and most of it caused by ignorance and hatred originating in religion.

Nope, he wasn't a retard. He believed in a 'higher power' as the most plausible explanation of existence as we know it, he just happened to call it "Zeus".

I don't think you quite understand Greek mythology,

Quote from: Greek creation
In the beginning there was an empty darkness. The only thing in this void was Nyx, a bird with black wings. With the wind she laid a golden egg and for ages she sat upon this egg. Finally life began to stir in the egg and out of it rose Eros, the god of love. One half of the shell rose into the air and became the sky and the other became the Earth. Eros named the sky Uranus and the Earth he named Gaia. Then Eros made them fall in love.

Actually they are probably considered great minds based on their merits in their scientific study and outside it. To say they were only considered great minds solely because of their scientific discoveries is a bit ignorant, and insulting to their memory.

Primarily they are remembered for their scientific achievements. Not their creed.

Haven't had a chance yet, I need to do a bit of research before I can come up with a decent reply to some of your posts (if at all)

Don't bother, it will likely be useless drivel anyway.

Reply #5064 Posted: May 22, 2008, 08:36:55 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
uh oh, someone's getting frustrated :eek: You seem to be clutching at straws a bit with your responses now aren't you?

Reply #5065 Posted: May 22, 2008, 08:49:35 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: psyche;721346
uh oh, someone's getting frustrated :eek: You seem to be clutching at straws a bit with your responses now aren't you?

no i just can't be bothered wasting time with you now, if you don't get it you don't get it.

Truth is you call yourself agnostic but you are not. An agnostic would consider both the scientific and the theist perspectives. You do not. To you creation was the act of a creator. Therefore all your views are skewed to that perspective.

To an agnostic the universe could be created by an "intelligent" designer. I am aware of some very convincing arguements that says that it could.

But an agnostic also looks at the possibility that our existence occurs in just one of many infinite possible universes. This explanation is backed with mathematics. And if the universe could talk, mathematics would be it's language.

So really... which is it?

Reply #5066 Posted: May 22, 2008, 09:04:02 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
I probably should have posted this earlier, while I did say I am agnostic I lean closer to theism probably because atheistic ideas/beliefs make very little sense to me.

Who cares anyway? It's just a label. All labels serve to do is divide people from each other more than we already are.

Quote from: dirtyape;721365
no i just can't be bothered wasting time with you now, if you don't get it you don't get it.

Sorry you feel that way, if you really don't want to continue the discussion with me then that's fine, I won't waste my time either. I think there's a few things that you 'don't get' either.

Quote from: dirtyape;721365

But an agnostic also looks at the possibility that our existence occurs in just one of many infinite possible universes. This explanation is backed with mathematics. And if the universe could talk, mathematics would be it's language.

Not really an accurate description of agnosticism either.. not all agnostics think that 'our existence occurs in just one of many infinite possible universes' or even consider the possiblity, being an agnostic is more about not making any assumptions or predictions about the ultimate truth of life and the universe, whatever that may be.

Agnosticism is a perfectly respectable and tenable philosophical position; it is not dogmatic and makes no pronouncements about the ultimate truths of the universe. It remains open to evidence and persuasion; lacking faith, it nevertheless does not deride faith. Atheism, on the other hand, is as unyielding and dogmatic about religious belief as true believers are about heathens. It tries to use reason to demolish a structure that is not built upon reason.

Reply #5067 Posted: May 22, 2008, 09:17:12 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;719590
You are not agnostic. You believe in intelligent design. That means you believe there is an intelligent designer. That is not agnostic.

You are a theist. Actually, you sound more like a Deist. But I'm not sure yet.

Interesting how we both came to the same conclusion about Psyche dirtyape
Quote from: Tiwaking!;670536
Then this makes you a DEIST not a THEIST. You believe in A divinity, but not a specific one. This distinction is very important when trying to discuss matters of faith with others

Quote from: psyche;720991
I know a good solution to this problem, but then no-one seems to listen to me anyway so fuck it.

Circular arguments are not good solutions. Your pseudosciencientific explanations are also baseless
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;721048
Psyche, I don't know if you noticed, but its pretty much you against this entire community

Emphasis mine. The whole community is against you. It is quite unprecedented for that to happen
+rep for the Snatch quote
Quote from: psyche;721061
It's only because the majority of this community are idiots intent on making the 'new guy' look bad

Actually your rabid drooling, frothy mouth-foaming attempts to assert yourself make you look bad. The massive amounts of spouted hypocrisy speak for themselves

And they didnt stop there. Many Theists were burnt as heretics. Martin Luther was only lucky to escape because Jan Hus had been burnt the previous year so Luther took precautions
Coincidentally, this is exactly what the Raëlians believe.

So? What about Rastafarians or Baha'i? If you limit the search to only Atheist religions, what about Discordians?
Quote from: dirtyape;721334
I don't really think anyone needs to claim you are a retard, your comments are enough to establish this as a observable truth.

This was the first conclusion I drew. The next was religious stance. The last will be mental ability
Quote from: psyche;721377
Who cares anyway? It's just a label. All labels serve to do is divide people from each other more than we already are.

Without division, we are nothing and everything. Like Einstein-Bose condensate!

Reply #5068 Posted: May 22, 2008, 09:51:58 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Tiwaking, out of all the people that post in this thread, your posts are always by far the stupidest. Didn't I already tell you NOT to reply to my posts? All you do is respond with a load of misinformed, miscontrued bullshit. Have you ever noticed why I only seem to respond to other people's arguments and never yours? It's because you don't OFFER any coherent arguments apart from trying to constantly criticize me with absolutely no basis for your criticism. Minuscule is the mind that accuses someone of being a hypocrite yet is unable to even explain why one is a hypocrite - that's the most arrogant form of hypocrisy possible!

Yes we know you are scientifically-minded (or atleast pretend to be) Congrat-u-fucking-lations. And while you limit yourself solely to the pursuit of nothing else but scientific knowledge, never even thinking about anything other than the how the universe works; everyone else who is wise will pursue knowledge in all areas and become more enlightened about the universe than you will ever be. Don't respond to my posts. Thank you.

Reply #5069 Posted: May 22, 2008, 10:03:24 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!

Reply #5070 Posted: May 22, 2008, 10:05:04 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: psyche;721234
The statistical improbability of the universe and all physical existence coming into existence from nothing by mere CHANCE, is extremely high. You still haven't really explained how you believe the universe could have come from nothing or just always existed by chance or randomness alone.

conditional probability - what is the chance of the universe existing, given that it exists - 100%

it doesn't matter if it the smallest probability imaginable

Reply #5071 Posted: May 23, 2008, 12:25:59 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: psyche;721435
Tiwaking, out of all the people that post in this thread, your posts are always by far the stupidest. Didn't I already tell you NOT to reply to my posts? All you do is respond with a load of misinformed, miscontrued bullshit. Have you ever noticed why I only seem to respond to other people's arguments and never yours? It's because you don't OFFER any coherent arguments apart from trying to constantly criticize me with absolutely no basis for your criticism. Minuscule is the mind that accuses someone of being a hypocrite yet is unable to even explain why one is a hypocrite - that's the most arrogant form of hypocrisy possible!

Yes we know you are scientifically-minded (or atleast pretend to be) Congrat-u-fucking-lations. And while you limit yourself solely to the pursuit of nothing else but scientific knowledge, never even thinking about anything other than the how the universe works; everyone else who is wise will pursue knowledge in all areas and become more enlightened about the universe than you will ever be. Don't respond to my posts. Thank you.

Excellent

Conclusion 3 reached: You are a psychopath. This was the last piece of evidence required

Reply #5072 Posted: May 23, 2008, 09:44:31 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted

Labels serve differentiate between things which are recognisably different, e.g. Cats and Dogs. If we didn't use labels we may as well just have one word to describe everything that exists.

If we are going to use a single word then I propose the word flange, as it will amuse me.

Sorry you feel that way, if you really don't want to continue the discussion with me then that's fine, I won't waste my time either. I think there's a few things that you 'don't get' either.

I can not understand the rants of a mind that has forgone logic and reason for madness. You make no sense. You repeat the same things over and over despite being shown the error in your logic.

You try to use science to justify your assumptions, but don't really understand the science fully, you only understand the little bits and pieces that you select in order to make your jigsaw pieces fit. Fuck the rest, you just ignore them.

I think you have a mental disorder. You should probably spend some of you time looking into that.

Not really an accurate description of agnosticism either.. not all agnostics think that 'our existence occurs in just one of many infinite possible universes' or even consider the possiblity, being an agnostic is more about not making any assumptions or predictions about the ultimate truth of life and the universe, whatever that may be.

Agnostics consider all possibilities which was the point i was making, using examples. I should have guessed that it would sail over your head.

And now you know what agnosticism is - do you still consider yourself agnostic?

Because the correct "label" that everyone else will use to describe you is Deist - whether you agree with them or not.

Reply #5073 Posted: May 23, 2008, 10:36:51 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Tiwaking!;721420
Interesting how we both came to the same conclusion about Psyche dirtyape

Yeah, I have no doubt about it now.

Reply #5074 Posted: May 23, 2008, 10:41:24 am