Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: discoducknz;722533
lol at 167 pages of crap.........

Obviously your shit doesn't stink.

Reply #5100 Posted: May 24, 2008, 07:59:10 pm

Offline Munc_her

• Devoted Member
  • Munc_her has no influence.
Anybody seen the iceman confessions Vid? Some guy that owed the mafia money couldnt pay so he was hired to kill him. The guy was praying and shouting for god to save him so the Iceman gave him 30 mins to pray to god to come down and save him, that never happend in 30 mins... so he killed him.

If thats not proof what is?

Reply #5101 Posted: May 24, 2008, 08:41:53 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Ok guys. Watch the Maori Channel now on TV. Extremely interesting re thread title but farkin sad.

Laters.

Reply #5102 Posted: May 24, 2008, 10:02:10 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Ok guys. Watch the Maori Channel now on TV. Extremely interesting re thread title but farkin sad. Islam. Oww those people. How!?

Laters.

Reply #5103 Posted: May 24, 2008, 10:31:52 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Munc_her;722550
Anybody seen the iceman confessions Vid? Some guy that owed the mafia money couldnt pay so he was hired to kill him. The guy was praying and shouting for god to save him so the Iceman gave him 30 mins to pray to god to come down and save him, that never happend in 30 mins... so he killed him.

If thats not proof what is?

God does not answer selfish prayers.
He should have been asking for forgiveness so he could enter the kingdom of God, Heaven.

Reply #5104 Posted: May 24, 2008, 10:54:42 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Ok Islam. yeah Im not Islamic but heck those people need to take a look outside the square imo! Just for the fact of helping each other out.

They preach death and war and killing the infidels at most of their 5 a day pray sessions, then pray that they know all that die on their side will go live with 'Allah', then when a young man basically forsakes his family, dies fighting the 'infidels' the woman slap themselves to bleeding over his grave. Not to mention them killing each other without hesitation. :(

This particular family in this doco is now bankrupt from the funeral from the oldest sons death! Makes me go hmmmm!?

Reply #5105 Posted: May 24, 2008, 11:13:27 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;722604
God does not answer selfish prayers.

God doesn't answer any prayers that would have an observable or measurable effect - much like how things that dont exist dont answer any prayers that would have an observable or measurable effect

Reply #5106 Posted: May 25, 2008, 01:06:09 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Oh I'm not religious, I'm just having flashbacks to bible time at primary school.
(public school, not private christian one).

No body likes a stuck up cunt, least of all god.
Concieted fuck: "You should save me because I'm worth it"
God: "ffs, this is heaven, not loreal paris. GTFO"

Reply #5107 Posted: May 25, 2008, 02:00:55 pm

Offline Pyromanik

yaaay, we're back to having a phantom page.

Reply #5108 Posted: May 25, 2008, 11:08:12 pm

Offline Raaskil

• Just settled in
  • Raaskil has no influence.
i overheard a conversation today.

two people were saying "GOD IS LAME!!!"

and a third butted in and said, "excuse me, i think god is great, perhaps you shouldnt express your opinions so loudly as to keep from offending people."

on of them said, " oh im sorry, ar you religious?"

she replied, "no, im christian"

ummmm. wut???

//edit science ftw

Reply #5109 Posted: May 27, 2008, 07:46:57 pm
=eVo=

Offline Captain.Keyes

• Just settled in
  • Captain.Keyes has no influence.
religious is following the same events over and over - religiously, such as muslims praying to mecca at certain times, and catholic mass.

Reply #5110 Posted: May 27, 2008, 08:10:44 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Raaskil;724296
on of them said, " oh im sorry, ar you religious?"

she replied, "no, im christian"

ummmm. wut???

A growing number of Christian people and Christian churches, including the church I go to, reject the "religion" tag, as it carries with it a number preconceptions - like forced participation, large amounts of dogma and tradition, as well as a man-made way of doing things.

"Faith" refers to a personal decision to believe in, or a personal relationship with, God. "Religion" refers to the method of how you interact with that God, not the belief in or the God itself.

If that makes sense.

For myself, I don't think that Christianity is - or at least, should be - overly "religious", which is to say that I don't think a persons practice of their faith should be defined by a crude group method; however I can understand people using the term to describe Christians.

Reply #5111 Posted: May 27, 2008, 08:58:52 pm

Offline Raaskil

• Just settled in
  • Raaskil has no influence.
ahhh kk just thought she was an idiot. :chuckle:

Reply #5112 Posted: May 28, 2008, 06:54:40 pm
=eVo=

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;724359
A growing number of Christian people and Christian churches, including the church I go to, reject the "religion" tag, as it carries with it a number preconceptions - like forced participation, large amounts of dogma and tradition, as well as a man-made way of doing things.

"Faith" refers to a personal decision to believe in, or a personal relationship with, God. "Religion" refers to the method of how you interact with that God, not the belief in or the God itself.

If that makes sense.

For myself, I don't think that Christianity is - or at least, should be - overly "religious", which is to say that I don't think a persons practice of their faith should be defined by a crude group method; however I can understand people using the term to describe Christians.

While I agree that your interpretation is a better way to go about it Flea, it seems far more likely to me that she was just an idiot.

Merriam-Webster defines "religious" as follows:
1: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity
2: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances
3 a: scrupulously and conscientiously faithful

Reply #5113 Posted: May 28, 2008, 07:25:33 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;724359

If that makes sense.

religion is belief based on faith so saying christianity isnt religious because you identify it with faith is wrong.

Reply #5114 Posted: May 28, 2008, 08:37:30 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;724922
religion is belief based on faith so saying christianity isnt religious because you identify it with faith is wrong.

Wtf?

Ironically, atheism is a faith-based belief aswell. So is atheism a religion also? It certainly seems like it.

Quote from: Raaskil;724851
ahhh kk just thought she was an idiot. :chuckle:

More irony.

Reply #5115 Posted: May 28, 2008, 09:07:39 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: psyche;724938
Wtf?

Ironically, atheism is a faith-based belief aswell. So is atheism a religion also? It certainly seems like it.

More irony.

atheism is faith!? faith in what lol

Jeez psyche we've already been through this discussion

remember the pixies at the end my garden. please do try to keep and and lets stop repeating ourselves.

do you have faith there are no pixies at the end of my garden?
do you have faith that Muhammad doesnt exist or Buddha or Ganesh?

if so then you must belong to the religious group of non pixies at the end of my garden believers.

Shit pretty much anything you dont believe in must be a religious group based on your faith based beliefs that they dont exist

Reply #5116 Posted: May 28, 2008, 09:18:16 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Oh look, it's a deluded Dawkins nutter. I suppose you believe aliens designed life on Earth aswell? Pfffft. Try coming up with a more coherent argument than just raving about fairy's and pixies, it gives absolutely no credibility to your arguments whatsoever ;)

Reply #5117 Posted: May 28, 2008, 09:24:35 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Oh look, it's a deluded Dawkins nutter. I suppose you believe aliens designed life on Earth aswell? Pfffft.

Try coming up with a more coherent argument than just raving about fairy's and pixies, it gives absolutely no credibility to your arguments whatsoever ;)

Reply #5118 Posted: May 28, 2008, 09:30:04 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: psyche;724950
Oh look, it's a deluded Dawkins nutter. I suppose you believe aliens designed life on Earth aswell? Pfffft.

thats right resort to insults when you have nothing intelligent to reply with.

try taking your own advice

Quote from: psyche;720991
Really though, I don't like this, I don't like trading insults, I wish we could have this discussion without all the bullshit unnecessary conflict that some people purposefully try to create.

Quote from: psyche;724953
Try coming up with a more coherent argument than just raving about fairy's and pixies, it gives absolutely no credibility to your arguments whatsoever ;)

More coherent argument?

trying reading it. i know you have problems thinking for yourself but try looking a little harder

Reply #5119 Posted: May 28, 2008, 09:30:43 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r;724954

Yes, well considering you are using 'pixies at the end of your garden' as an argument for atheism not requiring faith, am I not far from the truth? I dunno, you may not use insults directly but you seem to go out of your way to deride religion and particulary Christianity - is that not a form of insult aswell? (just cleverly disguised insult, methinks)

See, i'm past the point of being 'nice'. It's alright for others to throw insults in my direction but as soon as you receive one you get on your high horse and have a moan about it? I already offered my idea for a practical solution to this problem on the previous page, yet it was completely ignored.

More coherent argument?

trying reading it. i know you have problems thinking for yourself but try looking a little harder

I did read it. It's just more crap from Richard Dawkins - the man that thinks aliens being the cause of all intelligent life is a 'more intriguing possibility' than God - the funny thing is, I don't think you even understand or analyze his arguments at all, or make any attempt to question them. Pixies and fairy's? Get the fuck out with that shit and go back to reading your Harry Potter books kid.

Why, of all people in this world, do you hold Richard Dawkins opinion in such high regard? There are many people in this world significantly more knowledgeable than that twat.

Reply #5120 Posted: May 28, 2008, 09:59:11 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in

Yes, well considering you are using 'pixies at the end of your garden' as an argument for atheism not requiring faith, am I not far from the truth? I dunno, you may not use insults directly but you seem to go out of your way to deride religion and particulary Christianity - is that not a form of insult aswell? (just cleverly disguised insult, methinks)

See, i'm past the point of being 'nice'. It's alright for others to throw insults in my direction but as soon as you receive one you get on your high horse and have a moan about it? I already offered my idea for a practical solution to this problem on the previous page, yet it was completely ignored.

More coherent argument?

I did read it. It's just more crap from Richard Dawkins - the man that thinks aliens being the cause of all intelligent life is a 'more intriguing possibility' than God - the funny thing is, I don't think you even understand or analyze his arguments at all, or make any attempt to question them. Pixies and fairy's? Get the fuck out with that shit and go back to reading your Harry Potter books kid.

Why, of all people in this world, do you hold Richard Dawkins opinion in such high regard? There are many people in this world significantly more knowledgeable than that twat.

Reply #5121 Posted: May 28, 2008, 10:02:10 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: psyche;721817
But the fact that he accuses me of not being intelligent and not knowing what the fuck i'm talking about severely pisses me off considering there are a fair few things I have corrected him about.

Have you ever considered that you may be wrong about certain things? It seems to me that you will not consider such an occurrence is possible. It's like you have blinkers on.

Quote from: psyche;721817
NO I am not scientifically minded DirtyApe and thus is probably the reason I am not capable of providing better, more thorough explanations as what some people might be; did the fact that some philosophers didn't work in the field of science prevent them from understanding scientific concepts and theories? No it did not.

No, but hopefully such people would not presume that their knowledge of the subject was infallible. Hopefully they would realise that their knowledge of the subject is not complete. And hopefully they would listen to the opinions of others whose knowledge of said field is perhaps equal or more advanced.

Quote from: psyche;724938

Atheism is based on the absence of religious faith in light of contradictory evidence, but also without knowing the full picture. It is therefore essentially faith based, but an honest form of faith, based on tangible and observable phenomenon.

Atheism presumes there is no god, without knowing this for a fact, and it is therefore a form of faith.

There are many forms of atheism though, and you cannot define them all in blanket statements.

Quote from: KiLL3r;724946
atheism is faith!? faith in what lol

Faith in the non-existence of God.

Denying the existence of something without having definitive evidence is still making an assumption is it not? Even a mountain of apparent ironclad evidence can be washed aside with a single statement of truth.

To me it seems that the only honest approach to the subject is to reserve decision making and to maintain an open mind. At least partially open.

Reply #5122 Posted: May 28, 2008, 10:07:24 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: dirtyape;724981
Have you ever considered that you may be wrong about certain things? It seems to me that you will not consider such an occurrence is possible. It's like you have blinkers on.

Of course i've considered it, i'm just fairly convinced that i'm not wrong about certain things. It's almost like I have a "gut instinct" that there is something more meaningful behind life and the universe beyond what we only perceive in our physical existence that cannot be explained simply by sway of opinion, or how I was raised, or anything like that. Gut instincts have turned out to be wrong before though I guess..

I'm also fairly sure that i'm right about it not being possible for time to have existed before the universe aswell; but I can't back that up with anything solid just at the moment so I won't be ignorant enough to claim that I know it for a fact (Ok? happy? :D)

Reply #5123 Posted: May 28, 2008, 10:25:50 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: psyche;724973

I did read it. It's just more crap from Richard Dawkins

actually i have never seen dawkins mention anything like this.

Reply #5124 Posted: May 28, 2008, 10:45:26 pm