Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;745987
i do use the expressions dear god and god bless - English language is filled with old sayings that have lost connection with there original meaning, but i dont believe in any superstitious creatures

But if you don't believe in God, why cry out to him forhelp against people who DO believe in God? It makes no sense. Though your assertion that old sayings are still in use, despite losing their meaning is certainly correct - but "Dear God no" could be classed as blasphemy by those who believe in God, and thus would never have been used sincerely by Christians, OR in passing by non-Christians who would have been afraid to be seen as blasphemous in the ultra-religious times of years gone by. Thus, irony imo.

Why not just write "omg" or "zomg" - they do the same thing.

Quote from: cobra;745987
I guess you are pro your religion trying to brainwash children with lies?

First of all, that is not my "religion". ID is a theory promoted by ultra-fundamentalist versions of my "religion".

I've said in this thread before, I think science and faith go hand in hand. I don't think teaching "faith-based" ideas in a science classroom is a good thing at all - ID is just that, a "faith-based" idea.

I don't know enough on the subject, but I've said before: if evolution exists - and it certainly appears to - then I see no reason why it couldn't have been used by God. THAT SAID, teaching the God aspect is for the religious studies class, teaching the science aspect is for the science class. The very idea that evolution, as a physical process, doesn't exist simply because "we [ID supporters] believe God created man" is no more than throwing the baby out with the bathwater (to borrow an old saying).

Reply #5250 Posted: June 30, 2008, 09:37:05 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;746111
The very idea that evolution, as a physical process, doesn't exist simply because "we [ID supporters] believe God created man" is no more than throwing the baby out with the bathwater (to borrow an old saying).

Science shows us that evolution DOES exist and that we do not need a 'God' for this to happen.

You're right though. ID has no place in a Science classroom (except, maybe, as an example of how to engage in bad 'science').

And personally, I am trying to purge the lexicon of religious saying from my vocabulary. It's a big ask because of the role religion has played in History, and Society: even something as seemingly benign as 'goodness me' has religious overtones. Some days I feel like Sisyphus!

Reply #5251 Posted: June 30, 2008, 10:02:06 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Hope there is a God or that sort of thing. But lately Im doubting it.

But on a positive I honestly believe in the 'angels on your shoulder' type of thing, do too many bad or un-nice things and they slowly go away, leaving you with bad luck and general BS in your day to day life until you start doing some good and they come back. Dunno what its called but that happens to me, its weird, so I have hope for something somewhere....if anything.
Cheers.

Reply #5252 Posted: June 30, 2008, 11:31:47 am
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline DDM

• Addicted
  • DDM has no influence.
Sounds more like karma to me

I love earl.

Reply #5253 Posted: June 30, 2008, 11:46:10 am

Offline Virtuality

• Addicted
  • Virtuality has no influence.
Tell you what, when I die, if I go to heaven and see the Christian's God I'll commit suicide in the after life.

Reply #5254 Posted: June 30, 2008, 12:08:49 pm

Offline mish

• Addicted
  • mish has no influence.
Quote from: Virtuality;746173
Tell you what, when I die, if I go to heaven and see the Christian's God I'll commit suicide in the after life.

That's wrong on so many levels, but +1 for fighting the system!111one.

Reply #5255 Posted: June 30, 2008, 12:10:42 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;746111
But if you don't believe in God, why cry out to him forhelp against people who DO believe in God? It makes no sense. Though your assertion that old sayings are still in use, despite losing their meaning is certainly correct - but "Dear God no" could be classed as blasphemy by those who believe in God, and thus would never have been used sincerely by Christians, OR in passing by non-Christians who would have been afraid to be seen as blasphemous in the ultra-religious times of years gone by. Thus, irony imo.

Why not just write "omg" or "zomg" - they do the same thing.

The way I think about situations like this is that I am using the taboo of blasphemy to punctuate and accent. So while "Jesus fucking Christ" does not offend me, nor many of the people I say it to, it is a generally agreed upon concept that this is a Bad Thing to say. Also, when a nonbeliever like Cobra or myself uses religious terminology I consider that to be rather rude to those who do believe. We are essentially saying "Jesus Christ is a synonym for fuck." Which isn't exactly polite.

I guess you could say that it's not irony because we are saying it ironically?

Reply #5256 Posted: June 30, 2008, 12:20:06 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Chillipepper;746164
Hope there is a God or that sort of thing. But lately Im doubting it.

Just curious, but why do you hope there is a god?

Me, I hope there isn't lol!

Reply #5257 Posted: June 30, 2008, 12:27:47 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;746179
Just curious, but why do you hope there is a god?

Me, I hope there isn't lol!

I have to agree. If there is a god, he is the biggest fucking troll ever. Honestly, I think most of us have felt a little bit of glee when trolling some moron, but this dude trolls entire fucking nations until they kill each other.

That's pretty troll.

Reply #5258 Posted: June 30, 2008, 12:32:51 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline mish

• Addicted
  • mish has no influence.
^
Not even godless can match that.

Reply #5259 Posted: June 30, 2008, 12:54:26 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Quote from: DDM;746168
Sounds more like karma to me

So.. is karma linked to religion...?

Reply #5260 Posted: June 30, 2008, 03:53:17 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Arnifix;746177
We are essentially saying "Jesus Christ is a synonym for fuck." Which isn't exactly polite.

ZOUNDS!

Reply #5261 Posted: June 30, 2008, 04:05:09 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Cecil_the_RAM

• Just settled in
  • Cecil_the_RAM has no influence.
Jebus - did this thread not die!

Reply #5262 Posted: June 30, 2008, 10:49:46 pm
Killing Spree !!!  Multikill !!!  RAMpage !!!

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Its risen again.

I like Skins.

Reply #5263 Posted: June 30, 2008, 11:22:41 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Alexo256

• Devoted Member
  • Alexo256 has no influence.

Reply #5264 Posted: June 30, 2008, 11:30:12 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z150/Rehab_010/7a0b.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #5265 Posted: June 30, 2008, 11:37:01 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Alexo256;746597
PRAISE SCIENCE!

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/8600/babefactoryrb9.gif

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5567/nukehuggerls7.gif

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3616/germwranglerfl5.gif

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4043/cheersyr8.gif

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5302/kisstheclonersz0.gif

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2500/sciencerobotwv5.gif

Reply #5266 Posted: July 01, 2008, 08:01:28 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;746673
science pics

Those are awesome dude - do you know if they are on t-shirts somewhere?
I'd love the one of the guitar-playing robot on a t-shirt :D

Reply #5267 Posted: July 01, 2008, 09:32:14 am

Offline Virtuality

• Addicted
  • Virtuality has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;746177
We are essentially saying "Jesus Christ is a synonym for fuck."

That's because...

It IS a synonym for 'fuck'. I don't say it myself, I say "god damn" a lot though without thinking or even realizing it half the time. I don't much like your christian god anyway. Catholicism seems like nothing more than a front for political power exercised by hypocrites like those in the Vatican and the pope. They without right to do so declare new testaments, who do they think they are, an envoy of 'god'? They even say being rich is a sin when a single tapestry from their building could cure half the world of poverty (intended exaggeration, get the point). Kind of reminds me of the mystics (forgot what they're actually called) in 300.

I can't fathom how the Vatican or pope maintains power, it is honestly worse than letting the nazis have it. The crimes of the Catholics is greater than that of the nazis yet they pronounce themselves as such without any shame.

Reply #5268 Posted: July 01, 2008, 11:25:15 am

Offline darkwalker79

• I Posted!
  • darkwalker79 has no influence.
this is an iteresting thread, personally i think religion is a fascard men with power use to make $$$$$ please you tube/google the planent nibiru and the anunaki. i have perhaps just saved your life, send your dollars now lol.

Reply #5269 Posted: July 01, 2008, 11:28:18 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: darkwalker79;746750
tplease you tube/google the planent nibiru and the anunaki. i have perhaps just saved your life, send your dollars now lol.

The Sumerian creation myths are interesting, but they hold no more credence than other Creation myths.

Reply #5270 Posted: July 01, 2008, 11:54:37 am

Offline darkwalker79

• I Posted!
creationism and darwinism both hold certain flaw3s, yes perhaps the summerians tablets were misinterpreted, but the fact is there is a rather large planet coming this way as detected by nasa's iras in 1992,  im glad to see some1 has been reasearching this topic aswell.

Reply #5271 Posted: July 01, 2008, 11:59:02 am

Offline darkwalker79

• I Posted!
perhaps also the egyption myan and dear i say aborigini ancestral hyrogliphs were also misinterpreted, but doesn it make more sense than some ficticious character creating all we know in 6 days. it also answers the question "what is our pupose"  perhaps im in too deep but come 2012 ill be holidaying in the mountains.

Reply #5272 Posted: July 01, 2008, 12:08:01 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
So, we have people who don't believe in God because they feel religion is a front for control and for political power. Some people don't believe in God because other ideas enthrall them. Some people don't believe in God, because God allows terrible things to happen.

So let me ask this:

If you take away the religious organisations.
If you take away the other ideas, scientific or otherwise.
If you take away the terrible things - murder, disaster, etc.
If you take away anything that might influence a persons decision to believe or not.

Why then would that person still feel that there is something out there?

It seems to me that the main argument FOR The existence of a God (not necessarily a Christian God) has been overlooked - the fact that every civilisation - from Europeans to Africans to Aborigines, who were largely undiscovered until a couple hundred years ago - has some kind of God and myths for how He created the world as part of their cultural heritage

This idea that there is something out there seems to have some validity to it - even in a "well, it is odd that every civilisation believed in a God at one point or another" kind of way - does it not?

Reply #5273 Posted: July 01, 2008, 01:05:51 pm

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;746814
This idea that there is something out there seems to have some validity to it - even in a "well, it is odd that every civilisation believed in a God at one point or another" kind of way - does it not?

I don't really think so. I'm sure someone else can put it more eloquently with the quotations and the references, but the concepts behind religion parallel some of the concepts behind science.

Both are in essence trying to determine what we are and why we exist, via different avenues of thought. Humans are natural storytellers, so when somebody said "why does the sunrise" the best storyteller would come up with a tale as to why. Some of these tales were passed down and eventually became the basis of their religion. Hence the term 'creation story'.

Reply #5274 Posted: July 01, 2008, 02:40:22 pm