Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Arnifix;746851
I don't really think so. I'm sure someone else can put it more eloquently with the quotations and the references, but the concepts behind religion parallel some of the concepts behind science.

Both are in essence trying to determine what we are and why we exist, via different avenues of thought. Humans are natural storytellers, so when somebody said "why does the sunrise" the best storyteller would come up with a tale as to why. Some of these tales were passed down and eventually became the basis of their religion. Hence the term 'creation story'.

I'm not really talking about religion at all, or even story telling, sorry. I don't really know how to explain it.

Like:
What about the idea that people can "sense" something out there? If you took a brand new baby, isolated it and let it grow up with absolutely no influence from anything or anyone, would it still grow up and be able to sense that something or someone is out there? People now say they can sense something out there - I would say thats what happened to me, and thats why I am now a Christian person - so would people still sense things if they had nothing that influenced them and nothing to base that sensation on?

Like, aborigines, for example, prayed to Gods but they had no influence from western culture. Africans the same. South Americans the same. What if everyone is praying to the same God, but everyone just understands that God differently?

Reply #5275 Posted: July 01, 2008, 03:10:15 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;746111

I've said in this thread before, I think science and faith go hand in hand. I don't think teaching "faith-based" ideas in a science classroom is a good thing at all - ID is just that, a "faith-based" idea.

I don't know enough on the subject, but I've said before: if evolution exists - and it certainly appears to - then I see no reason why it couldn't have been used by God. THAT SAID, teaching the God aspect is for the religious studies class, teaching the science aspect is for the science class. The very idea that evolution, as a physical process, doesn't exist simply because "we [ID supporters] believe God created man" is no more than throwing the baby out with the bathwater (to borrow an old saying).

As an atheist I find this really admirable (though admittedly that's probably in part because I agree).  I wouldn't say the two intrinsicatlly go hand in hand (God and science) but I've never seen why they're mutually exclusive for the exact reasons Flea gives.  After all, don't ID'ists believe that a steam engine, for all that it exists in a universe created by God, runs on a set of principles and laws??

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;746878
I'm not really talking about religion at all, or even story telling, sorry. I don't really know how to explain it.

Like:
What about the idea that people can "sense" something out there? If you took a brand new baby, isolated it and let it grow up with absolutely no influence from anything or anyone, would it still grow up and be able to sense that something or someone is out there? People now say they can sense something out there - I would say thats what happened to me, and thats why I am now a Christian person - so would people still sense things if they had nothing that influenced them and nothing to base that sensation on?

Like, aborigines, for example, prayed to Gods but they had no influence from western culture. Africans the same. South Americans the same. What if everyone is praying to the same God, but everyone just understands that God differently?

The sense thing is a very hard argument to refute (not to say one has to accept it) AFAIK.  Though as far as the 'every culture has a sense of God' I'd just put that down to the human need to come up with some explantion of everything - a possible example of this is agrarian cultures tending to have Gods largely concerned with their issues (weather and so on). Plus the fact that one way or the other, we're amongst the only animals that realise we're going to die - which is a heavy burden to bear.

Reply #5276 Posted: July 01, 2008, 03:27:40 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;746814

It seems to me that the main argument FOR The existence of a God (not necessarily a Christian God) has been overlooked - the fact that every civilisation - from Europeans to Africans to Aborigines, who were largely undiscovered until a couple hundred years ago - has some kind of God and myths for how He created the world as part of their cultural heritage

This idea that there is something out there seems to have some validity to it - even in a "well, it is odd that every civilisation believed in a God at one point or another" kind of way - does it not?

God myths show a pretty clear development alongside the growth in our understanding the universe we live in. God(s) live in the cracks of our understanding.

I've been reading and thinking about the implications of quantum theory recently. Gazing into the abyss of what underpins reality can be very unsettling. Strangely enough there's room down there in the probabilistic quantum foam for an intelligence that would easily exceed any current requirements of godhood. I have a suspicion that if such a sentience were actually found, many people will still be looking for a god elsewhere.

Reply #5277 Posted: July 01, 2008, 03:33:11 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Alexo256

• Devoted Member
  • Alexo256 has no influence.
If I ever have kids i'm gonna call one of them Jesus and one of them Damien.

Reply #5278 Posted: July 01, 2008, 03:43:19 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;746697
Those are awesome dude - do you know if they are on t-shirts somewhere?
I'd love the one of the guitar-playing robot on a t-shirt :D

you are in luck my friend

http://wearscience.com/

Reply #5279 Posted: July 01, 2008, 05:56:11 pm

Offline Cecil_the_RAM

• Just settled in
  • Cecil_the_RAM has no influence.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;746916
God myths show a pretty clear development alongside the growth in our understanding the universe we live in. God(s) live in the cracks of our understanding.

I've been reading and thinking about the implications of quantum theory recently. Gazing into the abyss of what underpins reality can be very unsettling. Strangely enough there's room down there in the probabilistic quantum foam for an intelligence that would easily exceed any current requirements of godhood. I have a suspicion that if such a sentience were actually found, many people will still be looking for a god elsewhere.

Yes.  

I'd like to agree but can't download the Microsoft Big Word Language add in.

Reply #5280 Posted: July 01, 2008, 08:44:23 pm
Killing Spree !!!  Multikill !!!  RAMpage !!!

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Cecil_the_RAM;747174
Yes.  

I'd like to agree but can't download the Microsoft Big Word Language add in.

LOL. short version. If science ever finds a god, most people will continue to look for one.

Reply #5281 Posted: July 01, 2008, 09:28:25 pm

Offline Cecil_the_RAM

• Just settled in
  • Cecil_the_RAM has no influence.
Phew.  

Gonna set Brian Tamaki and his sect onto you.

Reply #5282 Posted: July 01, 2008, 09:36:05 pm
Killing Spree !!!  Multikill !!!  RAMpage !!!

Offline Alexo256

• Devoted Member
  • Alexo256 has no influence.

Reply #5283 Posted: July 01, 2008, 09:41:17 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;747015

Bro you are the man!
*ordering as we speak*

Reply #5284 Posted: July 01, 2008, 10:57:38 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;747015

Holy crap! W1N.   Thanks Killer! :sunnies:

Reply #5285 Posted: July 01, 2008, 11:44:48 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;746814
So, we have people who don't believe in God because they feel religion is a front for control and for political power. Some people don't believe in God because other ideas enthrall them. Some people don't believe in God, because God allows terrible things to happen.

So let me ask this:

If you take away the religious organisations.
If you take away the other ideas, scientific or otherwise.
If you take away the terrible things - murder, disaster, etc.
If you take away anything that might influence a persons decision to believe or not.

Why then would that person still feel that there is something out there?

It seems to me that the main argument FOR The existence of a God (not necessarily a Christian God) has been overlooked - the fact that every civilisation - from Europeans to Africans to Aborigines, who were largely undiscovered until a couple hundred years ago - has some kind of God and myths for how He created the world as part of their cultural heritage

This idea that there is something out there seems to have some validity to it - even in a "well, it is odd that every civilisation believed in a God at one point or another" kind of way - does it not?

This may sting a bit...

It seems you missed the most important reason why people do not believe in god in general, there is no real reason to believe. Man creates a reason.

So you wonder if man has a latent desire to believe in... what? Something? Yahweh? Allah? Nature? Something supernatural? A non meaningful word? A feeling? A creator? The universe? The unknown? An idea? A Higg's Boson? What exactly..?

What is "God"?

The term "God" doesn't really mean anything to anyone outside the definition of a specific religion. "God" is a theological noncognitivism, it has no real definition. No meaning at all.  It is religion that defines what "God" is. So if someone is ignorant of religions then "God" simply has no meaning.

Now to your main argument FOR The existence of a God, that humans form myths that describe supernatural forces or entities. All this really means is that humans endeavour to explain their experience of reality using whatever information they have available to them. This includes other humans.

If you ask me, the fact that all civilisations have not agreed on a single definition of "God" directly conflicts with your main argument.

But this is simplistic. Lets explore some civilisations myths. Lets compare Christianity to the Polynesian gods.

The basis of Christianity is a Good/Evil duality in which God is good and Satan is Evil. Man is inherently sinful or evil, but should try and be good. If you are good you go to heaven (if you accept Jesus, a.k.a. Yahweh), if not you go to hell. That's roughly it.

Thus the religion is based upon fear. Be good, accept god, or you'll burn in hell with Satan. But why is there a Good/Evil duality to begin with?

Evil, darkness, fear, Satan. Is it a coincidence that darkness and fear are associated with evil? No. The people that developed this religion were living in an area which contained nocturnal predators. Throughout the development of their societies the night was something to fear for the very real reason that it could claim your life, or the lives of your loved ones.

These people feared the night, it was unknown and dangerous. This is prevalent throughout all the religions from that region. E.g. Set, the Egyptian god of night was an evil force, as was Pluto/Hades to the Romans/Greeks.

So Satan is a ultimately a metaphor for the fear of nocturnal predators. And Yahweh is the guy that keeps Satan at bay, among many other things of course, but this concept is the basis of the religion.

Now look at the polynesian gods, based on nature. And most importantly - no concept of Good/Evil forces. Why? Because Polynesians did not fear the night. There were no nocturnal predators. No reason to fear it. And so, they did not develop the Good/Evil duality into their myths the way that the Christians did.

Good/Evil is not right/wrong. Polynesians still had concepts of right and wrong, as these are the most basic requirements of any society. I just thought I would make that clear.

So... really... the fact that these completely separate belief systems exists in such completely different ways suggests to me that this common "God" you speak of is imaginary. Myth's are just a product of the environment.

In his ignorance man created Myths. Myths become religion.  Religion defines "God".  Ergo, man creates "God".  Not the other way around.

And that's pretty much all there is to it.

Reply #5286 Posted: July 01, 2008, 11:56:50 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: dirtyape;747313
It seems you missed the most important reason why people do not believe in god in general, there is no real reason to believe. Man creates a reason.

Again, you're focusing on the influence of religion in creating God.

My question was, why - when any influence, including religion, is absent - does mankind still seem to come to the conclusion that God exists?

Also, don't forget that widespread disbelief in God is a 20th/21st century trend. In centuries past there was an element of it, but for the most part belief in a God was the norm. For some reason, people like yourself seem to believe that science has replaced God, and I sincerely believe that is not the case at all.

Reply #5287 Posted: July 02, 2008, 09:38:39 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
I was wondering how you would react, would you attempt to disprove me, would you actually read the words I wrote and comprehend the meaning, or would you selectively ignore me and respond anyway.

Did you intentionally ignore the point that "God" (note the capital "G") is a theological noncognitism that means nothing sans a religious definition? How then can your argument be true unless religion is considered?

It seems to me that you think "God" is a natural thing to believe in, but how do you know? You have been indoctrinated by a religion. You have been exposed to it. You are biased. Off course it seems natural to you. This is part of the indoctrination. Do you realise this? Or do you absolve yourself, you do not need to analyse your own perspective? Actually, you do, because you believe in "God". (Whatever that is.)

Quote from: ThaFleastyler
My question was, why - when any influence, including religion, is absent - does mankind still seem to come to the conclusion that God exists?

Again - what is "God"?  

History proves that what you are saying is wrong. The Mayan's did not believe in "God". The Egyptians did not believe in "God". They believed in gods.

"God" and gods are two different things. Two separate concepts. A god is a supernatural deity. "God" is an undefined, noncognitism that means nothing. Yahweh is a god, a defined deity with specific characteristics. Yahweh is not "God" - because it has been defined by Judaism. Understand?

So they didn't believe in "God" at all.  Instead they believed in gods. They constructed reasons for things to happen in the absence of any other reason.

Perhaps you should really be asking, "Why - when all knowledge is absent - does a society of humans make shit up?"

The answer is pretty simple, mankind does not like blanks. Our brains don't like it. We need reasons. And it's not until some smart cunt says "Hey, why does fire burn?" that everyone goes, oh shit, fuck - we don't know! Lets make up some shit. That shit sounds believable to them, and gets passed on, people become indoctrinated with believing the shit. But eventually another smart cunt says "Hang on, that shit is wrong! Fire burns for these reasons..."

And sometimes those smart cunts end up finding out exactly how fire burns first hand... because society does not like to be wrong. (It makes them all appear stupid.)

So, back to your argument. You are meaning that if we remove all the things that actually define these entities, strip away all the details, and knowledge, possibly even mashing several entities together and comparing them to a single entity, then we can actually say that they are the same thing?

So two completely featureless things are identical...

Ummm....

What if we apply the same logic to fruit. Apples are fruit. Oranges are fruit. Ergo, apples are oranges? No.

And don't make out I do not understand what it is you are saying, please, give me some credit to understand simple concepts.

Quote from: ThaFleastyler
Also, don't forget that widespread disbelief in God is a 20th/21st century trend. In centuries past there was an element of it, but for the most part belief in a God was the norm. For some reason, people like yourself seem to believe that science has replaced God, and I sincerely believe that is not the case at all.

Yes, science effectively killed the requirement for a "God" myth. This doesn't mean that "God" does not exist though, it just means that we can describe our observable universe with requiring it. Something that mankind has never been able to do, until the 20/21st century.

And your sincerest beliefs are still nothing but an opinion.

But hey lets not forget Myths still exist in modern society. The biggest myth of the 20/21st century is Aliens. Do you believe in them? Most atheists/agnostics probably do. Why? Seems logical? "God" seemed logical too.

If you want to continue this, I suggest you tell me exactly what "God" is.

Reply #5288 Posted: July 02, 2008, 02:03:17 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;746179
Just curious, but why do you hope there is a god?

Me, I hope there isn't lol!

ah, so the truth comes out - you are biased towards your beliefs. Good to see you can atleast admit it as I could. ;)

Quote from: Arnifix;746180
I have to agree. If there is a god, he is the biggest fucking troll ever. Honestly, I think most of us have felt a little bit of glee when trolling some moron, but this dude trolls entire fucking nations until they kill each other.

That's pretty troll.

It comes back to the problem of free will. If there is a God that created all existence as we know it - it was obviously intended for us to have free will and not adhere to some deterministic rules or laws besides the physical laws of the universe - take away free will and the ability to do what would be considered bad things - we would essentially become the equivalent of mindless ants in a ant colony or something - with a divine being constantly intervening to micromanage everything we do would never learn from our mistakes, never develop as a species; the evil and bad things in the world sucks, but would you rather live without free will? Basically, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I would rather have us write the story of our lives ourselves than have God write the story for us. And that seems to be how the universe has been set up.

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;746878

Like:
What about the idea that people can "sense" something out there? If you took a brand new baby, isolated it and let it grow up with absolutely no influence from anything or anyone, would it still grow up and be able to sense that something or someone is out there?

I know what you mean, I think even the staunchest of atheists have that feeling but they just seem to ascribe it to something else for some reason.

although Einstein might not be the best person to quote in defense of religion - I think it can be best summed up by this quote:

"To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull facilities can comprehend only in the most primitive forms--this knowledge, this feeling, is at the center of true religiousness. In this sense, and in this sense only, I belong to the ranks of the devoutly religious men." - Albert Einstein

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;747384
Again, you're focusing on the influence of religion in creating God.

I have noticed this too - apparently some of the poorest and most poverty-stricken countries still tend to be quite 'religious' people, suprisingly - but if not God in the conventional sense, atleast something that seems similar to what it represents (ie. some cultures might have a deep appreciation for the beauty and order in nature and the universe, but don't have the conventional concept of God that you and I do - or maybe they do? Hard to say..)

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;747384
For some reason, people like yourself seem to believe that science has replaced God, and I sincerely believe that is not the case at all.

Also agree.

Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;746916

Ironically, Max Planck, the founder of quantum theory, was apparently a deeply religious man aswell. Though i'm sure that means nothing to you, as usual.

Reply #5289 Posted: July 02, 2008, 02:05:35 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: dirtyape;747572
"God" and gods are two different things. Two separate concepts. A god is a supernatural deity. "God" is an undefined, noncognitism that means nothing. Yahweh is a god, a defined deity with specific characteristics. Yahweh is not "God" - because it has been defined by Judaism. Understand?

Sorry ape, perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough.
What I'm getting at is that civilisations have always felt something was out there. Not necessarily a Christian "God", as I pointed out earlier, but something.

I'm kind of disappointed because I was trying to open discussion of the existence of something, without it being tied to a religious definition, but sadly all who have responded have simply gone on the same old anti-religion diatribes as per usual, no offence.

Don't any of you guys believe in anything?
Have you completely discounted the existence of anything because of science?

(and please don't apply your impressions of any existing religiously-affialiated God or "gods" when answering ;) )

In terms of our own humanity, "We just are." is a terribly depressing answer to the question of "Why?"

Reply #5290 Posted: July 02, 2008, 03:49:11 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: psyche;747574

Ironically, Max Planck, the founder of quantum theory, was apparently a deeply religious man aswell. Though i'm sure that means nothing to you, as usual.

*sigh* You just have to make yourself look stupid with the unnecessary dig don't you. For the record my father is a deeply religious man. I've had to live my whole adult life balancing my respect and love for a great man with the fact that we fundamentally disagree about spiritual issues.

It's that, more than any other single factor, that has shown me that various belief systems are peoples way of making sense of an uncaring and meaningless universe. From my daily life it's apparent most people, whether they have formal religious beliefs or not, know that, and it is only a small minority who have the delusion that their subjective spiritual philosophy has some sort of objective reality.

For those reasons, the religious beliefs or otherwise of individual scientists are irrelevant to me. Religious beliefs are largely cultural and social artifacts ( i.e which particular god or gods you believe are the real ones will be strongly influenced by what the people who raised you thought ), and a good scientist will be aware of, and work to minimise the preconceptions that such cultural baggage causes. A good scientists work will stand or fall against the clearly defined criteria of the scientific method on its own merits.

You didn't really respond to my point. Quantum mechanics has significant room for sentiences that fit, well tbh grossly exceed, all the requirements of godhood. eg the universe itself may be sentient.

My point, and opinion, is that it is likely that if science found an entity that fit any of the current human definitions of a god, it would effectively not be one any longer, and (a) further supernatural entity or entities would still be posited by humans. In many ways if you can detect or measure a god then it isn't one any longer.

Hypothetical question for you, and others who share a firm belief in some supernatural deity.

Lets assume physicists make contact with an entity through their investigation of the universe at a quantum level. It turns out that the universe is a physical manifestation of this sentience, and that we are part of and created by this entity. The entity is effectively omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, by virtue of the fact that it IS the universe. The entity makes clear that you do live after death, in that each consciousness that results from its internal processes are absorbed into it once the physical carrier of the consciousness ends.

By any criteria you can find in any religious or spiritual  tract written by humans, this entity is God with a seriously capital G.

Upon learning this, would you think that any search for god and meaning was over? No further need for religion, worship or concerns with the after life and our souls?

Do you think all religions would shut up shop?

Personally I think we'd still have significant chunks of the population  claiming that it's all bullshit because it contradicts the bible, but I'm interested to know how those with religious beliefs think they'd react.

Reply #5291 Posted: July 02, 2008, 04:04:26 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;747624

In terms of our own humanity, "We just are." is a terribly depressing answer to the question of "Why?"

And therein lies the root of people wanting something "more" . Psyche makes the same kinds of statements. You don't "like" that there's no evidence of some higher purpose or meaning to our existence, therefore there must be one.

Reply #5292 Posted: July 02, 2008, 04:07:38 pm

Offline Virtuality

• Addicted
  • Virtuality has no influence.
I feel that there's something out there too, and why shouldn't there be?

At the end of the day, god is, in truth, nothing more than an imaginary friend for adults.

Reply #5293 Posted: July 02, 2008, 04:21:21 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.

(and please don't apply your impressions of any existing religiously-affialiated God or "gods" when answering ;) )

In short, nope, though it's not science, so much as it's good friend basic logic that's led me to believe as I do.

Longer answer would be "how far do we go with this and what do we mean when we say is'anything' out there?".  But assuming you mean something or anything greater that would make it a little more meaningful, then.. no, not really.

Yes, it is a bit depressing, but there ya go.

Reply #5294 Posted: July 02, 2008, 04:46:25 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Flea: I believe in people sometimes, when I'm not being reminded that they're all fucking jackasses.

I also believe in cheese, because it is delicious.

Reply #5295 Posted: July 02, 2008, 05:10:51 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;747643
And therein lies the root of people wanting something "more" . Psyche makes the same kinds of statements. You don't "like" that there's no evidence of some higher purpose or meaning to our existence, therefore there must be one.

The difference of course being that my comment is my opinion, of which I am entitled. I do not offer it as any form of proof of the existence of God.

Let me rephrase:
It depresses me personally to think that "We just are." is an answer to the question of "Why?"

Reply #5296 Posted: July 02, 2008, 05:37:57 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;747640
Hypothetical question for you, and others who share a firm belief in some supernatural deity.

Lets assume physicists make contact with an entity through their investigation of the universe at a quantum level. It turns out that the universe is a physical manifestation of this sentience, and that we are part of and created by this entity. The entity is effectively omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, by virtue of the fact that it IS the universe. The entity makes clear that you do live after death, in that each consciousness that results from its internal processes are absorbed into it once the physical carrier of the consciousness ends.

By any criteria you can find in any religious or spiritual  tract written by humans, this entity is God with a seriously capital G.

Upon learning this, would you think that any search for god and meaning was over? No further need for religion, worship or concerns with the after life and our souls?

Do you think all religions would shut up shop?

Personally I think we'd still have significant chunks of the population  claiming that it's all bullshit because it contradicts the bible, but I'm interested to know how those with religious beliefs think they'd react.

Therein lies the difference between "faith" and "religion".

The "religion"-based reaction would be either for (if such an entity aligned with the collective beliefs of said religion) or against (if such an entity did not).

The "faith"-based reaction would be, "I knew it! I frickin knew it!" and would accept that perhaps the previous perception of such an entity could be incorrect.

I'd like to think I would be in that second group.

Of course, if such an entity made him/her/itself known as such, then there would be no disputing whether such an entity existed - religious nuts could say argue all they want, but the fact of the entities existence would ultimately disprove them; kinda like if a religious nut tried arguing that a tomato was not red but yellow with purple dots. Humans, being such as they are, would for the most part end the search, believing they had found "God" - but still some would continue the search, saying "no, there must be more".

Take for example, germs. There are nutjobs out there who would tell you that germs do not exist - "I can't see them, so they aren't there" or words to that effect - and despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, they will still stand by and maintain there opinion. Point being that someone, somewhere, will have a different opinion or perspective or viewpoint, no matter how radical or crazy it might be.

Reply #5297 Posted: July 02, 2008, 05:50:05 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Sorry ape, perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough.
What I'm getting at is that civilisations have always felt something was out there. Not necessarily a Christian "God", as I pointed out earlier, but something.

I'm kind of disappointed because I was trying to open discussion of the existence of something, without it being tied to a religious definition, but sadly all who have responded have simply gone on the same old anti-religion diatribes as per usual, no offence.

Yes, I know what you mean, you were very clear. Perhaps I am not.

Your idea is not new to me. This argument has been used many times to try and justify "God".  It is the argument of a common divinity, argumentum ad populum.

Let me just prove that I do understand what you are saying.

You are talking about reducing the massive number of historical deities down to a single "Something" principle which proves (?) that an undefined "Something" is "Out there" (exists?).  

This "Something" principle is all based on the idea that historically mankind has typically believed in "Somethings", and it asserts that this proves that a common "Something" principle is prevalent through mankind's history.

It can be described like this - everyone that has ever believed in "Something" was really believing in the same "Something" - providing you remove all the details that that person attributes to "Something".

Afterall - if mankind has typically believed in "Somethings", surely "Something" exists. They can't all be wrong.

Civilisations didn't always think "Something" was out there, they thought that Zeus was out there. Or Shiva. Or Allah. Or Quetzalcoatl. Or Amon-Ra. Or Jupiter. Or any other number of deities. This is my point. Civilisations believe in clearly defined deities. And they believed in them for very specific reasons. They sacrificed cows for a good harvest. They sacrificed virgins to stop volcanoes erupting. Whatever they done, they done it for a reason.

And they were all wrong.

Now, the principle tries to build upon this massive historical fail train and say that despite the apparent fact that man has been wrong about these "Somethings" being "Out there" every single time, the fact that so many have thought that "Somethings" are "Out there" must really mean that "Something" is really "Out there".

But, under logical examination, I hope you see that this is really just an argumentum ad populum. And all it proves is that men can believe all kinds of things if they do not know any better.

But hey, what the hell do I know huh?

Reply #5298 Posted: July 02, 2008, 06:11:47 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
It didn't hurt like hell :D

I don't agree with you either though.
My own experience indicates (to me, at least) that there is a God.

Hope you don't mind ;)

Reply #5299 Posted: July 02, 2008, 07:19:22 pm