Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;830570
but could you be convinced? - there are simple and natural reasons for your "spiritual experiences" - what we need is what would convince you that they were the result of something else

Fair comment.

That said, the kind of explanations that have been given at various times in this thread seem no more convincing than the explanation I already have. If someone could give me specific explanations - "it happens because of this, which is due to that, which then causes that" - then I might listen.

I could definitely be convinced - though I will say that I would probably be openly skeptical to begin with, and probably reject the explanation as a first response. But I would definitely consider it later.

Reply #5975 Posted: November 10, 2008, 01:31:13 pm

Offline Donkey

• Addicted
  • Donkey has no influence.
I think you guys have broken the religion thread.
191 pages but it won't let me look at page 191 :/
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2996/88738791ix0.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread
http://img20.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2130/53055792xg9.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

Reply #5976 Posted: November 10, 2008, 03:26:21 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;830587
Fair comment.

That said, the kind of explanations that have been given at various times in this thread seem no more convincing than the explanation I already have. If someone could give me specific explanations - "it happens because of this, which is due to that, which then causes that" - then I might listen.

I could definitely be convinced - though I will say that I would probably be openly skeptical to begin with, and probably reject the explanation as a first response. But I would definitely consider it later.

can you give us a example of one of your experiences so we can rationally explain it? :)

Reply #5977 Posted: November 10, 2008, 07:51:40 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;830587
Fair comment.

can you give us a example of one of your experiences so we can rationally explain it? :)

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;784881
You're right - its so hard that his existence is pretty much unanimously agreed upon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

also as per this comment which i missed.

in that same link is

"Nevertheless, historicity (jesus) is still regarded as effectively proven by almost all Biblical scholars and historians"

id hardly consider biblical scholars and historians as credible and unbias

Reply #5978 Posted: November 10, 2008, 07:55:36 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
There is a lot of evidence that King Arthur was real. Doesn't mean Merlin was real putting on his robe and wizard hat n shit.

Reply #5979 Posted: November 10, 2008, 09:35:48 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
I once read a book about mythical heroes and the common characteristics they all share, things like: Mother was a virgin, fathers a god etc and returns to claim kingdom after obscure teenage years and various other things (22 common points in all). Of these 22 points jesus ranks 2nd in the number fulfilled (20 out of the 22).

Most of the heroes in this book pre-date jesus (mostly greek and roman heroes) and I think this just goes to show that jesus is just another mythical hero that was constructed based on all the heroes before him

Reply #5980 Posted: November 10, 2008, 09:58:23 pm
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."

Offline [britishsteel]

• I Posted!
  • [britishsteel] has no influence.
Me myself, i'm an Odinist

Science will never prove that there never is a god, nor will it prove that there is.
So i chose the best religion ever really, its older than any form of christianity by about 400 years, and all you have to do is drink fight and fu**

Reply #5981 Posted: November 11, 2008, 05:25:40 am

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
I have nothing against fleas view that due to experiences he may have had he believes that there is more out there

so be it, he has faith thats cool

but at the end of the day no matter what those experiences were I GUARANTEE they were not specific enough to point towards a specific religion to follow

since it requires logic to choose a specific religion over another, religion opens itself up to logical examination

and under logical examination the belief in organised religion is illogical.

This is discovered when you put choice of religion into real life terms such as choosing an investment, choosing a school for your children or even choosing what to eat for dinner

people use logic for all decisions in life and yet will stray from that logic when they choose a religion. They will apply a different set of reasoning.

this isnt a problem if all you are doing is saying yes i believe there could be a god, but it is a problem when you say that hell exists, jesus rose from the dead and the holy trinity is real.

your basing this on a form of reasoning you would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use in life outside of religion.................very hypocritical

Reply #5982 Posted: November 11, 2008, 07:07:51 am

Codex

tbh it just sounds like one of the programs doing something it wasnt suppose to before it got deleted for an upgrade

matrix ftw.

Reply #5983 Posted: November 11, 2008, 07:46:32 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.

Reply #5984 Posted: November 11, 2008, 12:27:36 pm

Offline [tsw].Forsaken

• Just settled in
  • [tsw].Forsaken has no influence.
but how you define logic? is it "logical" for someone to sacrifice his life over a grenade to save your peeps on the humvee? is it logical for a group of guys to play with a baby and end up killing him/her? (just relating to what I saw on the news a while ago).

How do scientists go on about creating technology and scientific advances that might have an impact on how people kill themselves? Both in the cases when scientists actively work to create a weapon or just discover something that in the future is turned into something that kills people.

What kind of morals do apply to this? If you take a scientific approach you could end up saying that people might take a series of different moral approaches:

1) Utilitarian: maximize good minimize bad based on consequences
2) Divine Command: God tells you you shall not kill
3) Ethical relativism: good is defined by culture and history..eg cannibalism was good for the cultures that practiced it

etc etc

What happens is that all those moral approaches are not mutually exclusive and the decisions that people do will not follow a single string of theory but normally a complex combination of a lot of things coupled with stuff like "gut feeling", etc.

Some things in life don't follow a 100% scientific logical approach when done, even when the things itself are related to science.

Thats why you can't explain everything in life just with science.

Also, keep in mind that in all my posts I haven't gone saying BELIEVE IN CHRIST OR YOU SHALL GO TO HELL!!!!!! All I have said is that you need something else to fulfill a better understanding of your own, to meet the needs of your material self, your mind and spirit. Hence I have only quoted philosophers and scientists who reach the conclusion that there is "something" or "someone" else besides all the "science".

In this sense I'm not saying that you should all be catholic. I respect all religions and I think that if you were to choose one it would be something that just feels right with what you are and who you are.

I just find it really difficult to understand how people don't realize, from the beauty of nature to how life develops, that there is "more than meets the eye" in a way that everything does not exist and continues to exist and develop just based on random chance. If nothing existed before, how did randomness even managed to work.

Then, there comes the whole idea of you guys with the rules of different religions. Remember that:

a) In all religions, scientific communities, everywhere, you will find extremists.
b) All things now are transmitted and explained by people, hence different understandings might arise.

So yeah, why so many religions? From my point of view simply because many people, with different approaches and cultures realized that "something else" that is beyond science and logical understanding. The forms might change but normally the essence stays the same.

Now, I'm not gonna explain other religions because I'm not extremely informed on them but I can tell you about catholicism. The 10 commandments and stuff...RULES!!!! OMG OH NO!!!! RLY??? YA RLY??? IMA CHARGIN MY LAZEEEERRRZZ!!!! SHOOP THA WOOOP!!!!

Those commandments can just be translated into general wellbeing stuff.
Come on, don't kill (general human wellbeing), don't envy others (good communities), respect people and parents (family stuff), believe in God (OMG!!! RUN TO THE HILLS!!!!!) can actually be understood as have faith in what you believe, stand your ground and have an opinion. etc etc.

So yeah, I just ask you guys to take a step back and see the essence of some things and not just concentrate 100% on the form, and analyze the human being as a complete being, not just matter. Matter doesn't define the "I" when it comes to understanding who you are. You need to include at the same time your animal, conscience and metaphysical (YEAH, NO METH!!! lol that comment cracked me up :D ) natures into your understanding of your own self.

Peace out!

Reply #5985 Posted: November 11, 2008, 12:49:15 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: (oga).Forsaken;831224

How do scientists go on about creating technology and scientific advances that might have an impact on how people kill themselves? Both in the cases when scientists actively work to create a weapon or just discover something that in the future is turned into something that kills people.

Scientist find the knowledge and create the tools - politicians use the tools to kill people

Reply #5986 Posted: November 11, 2008, 01:15:56 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: (oga).Forsaken;831224
The 10 commandments and stuff...RULES!!!! OMG OH NO!!!! RLY??? YA RLY??? IMA CHARGIN MY LAZEEEERRRZZ!!!! SHOOP THA WOOOP!!!!

1. "I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery. You shall have no other gods before Me..."

Seems like a grasp for power over other religions.

2. "Do not make an image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above..."

Don't hate on my art

3. "Do not swear falsely by the name of the LORD..."

Don't hate on my speech

4. "Remember  the Sabbath day and keep it holy"
I am not wasting my weekend praying

5. "Honor your father and your mother..."

Common decency, my mother and father helped me alot I dont need religion to tell me this

6. "Do not murder"

We wouldn't get anywhere as a society if we all went around murdering people would we, this is common sense I don't need holy guidence to figure this one out.

7. "Do not commit adultery."

Personal choice, if you wanna sleep around so be it, just be careful.

8. "Do not steal."

See #6

9. "Do not bear false witness against your neighbor"

See #6

10. "Do not covet your neighbor's wife"

Women have a mind of thier own, you can't really "steal" a wife off someone if the wife is unhappy and finds someone more suitable than thier wife beating husband so be it.
On the other hand forcefully trying to split a happy couple apart doesn't seem like a morale thing todo, this depends on the situation a blanket rule here is stupid.

Heres the 1 Commandment of Bell.

1. Have empthy for you fellow (wo)man.
Before you do anything that could have effect on someone else think to yourself, "if someone was to do this to me would I be happy about it?"
and in some grey areas think "Do the benefits to me really justify the cost to the other person, am I being overly selfish?"
This covers cases like breaking up with someone if you are unhappy with your relationship you need to do whats right for you, the previous point about not doing anything which would make someone unhappy doesn't work here.

So no 10 commandments for me thanks, im living by the "Rule of Bell" (TM)

Reply #5987 Posted: November 11, 2008, 01:25:20 pm

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
Quote from: Bell;831261

Heres the 1 Commandment of Bell.

1. Have empthy for you fellow (wo)man.
Before you do anything that could have effect on someone else think to yourself, "if someone was to do this to me would I be happy about it?"
and in some grey areas think "Do the benefits to me really justify the cost to the other person, am I being overly selfish?"
This covers cases like breaking up with someone if you are unhappy with your relationship you need to do whats right for you, the previous point about not doing anything which would make someone unhappy doesn't work here.

So no 10 commandments for me thanks, im living by the "Rule of Bell" (TM)

Sounds a lot like "Do unto others as you would have done to you", which is also tought from the bible.

Reply #5988 Posted: November 11, 2008, 02:45:48 pm

Offline mish

• Addicted
  • mish has no influence.
Except better detailed?
Sign me up thanks.

Reply #5989 Posted: November 11, 2008, 02:50:59 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Scunner;831312
Sounds a lot like "Do unto others as you would have done to you", which is also tought from the bible.

Yes it is in the bible but it also just plain common sense, the bible didn't invent this type of thinking.
And the bible doesn't include my second part of it because sometimes you have to do unto other what you wouldn't want done to you. Nobody likes being dumped.

Reply #5990 Posted: November 11, 2008, 03:06:57 pm

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
Quote from: Bell;831343
Yes it is in the bible but it also just plain common sense, the bible didn't invent this type of thinking.
And the bible doesn't include my second part of it because sometimes you have to do unto other what you wouldn't want done to you. Nobody likes being dumped.

But maybe its common sense that has been instilled into us from lessons taught from the bible.

Reply #5991 Posted: November 11, 2008, 03:27:48 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Scunner;831365
But maybe its common sense that has been instilled into us from lessons taught from the bible.

No, that's just wrong. These ideas were around long before the bible. Snore.

Reply #5992 Posted: November 11, 2008, 03:29:03 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Arnifix wins, this is problem some of people, they believe thier religion invented morales which is a load of crap.
Especially since Christianity come into exsistence relatively late as far as religion goes.
Pagans had morales.
Even animals show traits that humans would class as morales.

Reply #5993 Posted: November 11, 2008, 03:29:06 pm

Offline littlebear

• I Posted!
  • littlebear has no influence.
   I’m from Australia, I couldn’t find Region 4 DVDs. I purchased some DVD's from UK. They won't play on my DVD player so I used DVD Shrink to get a copy with REGION FREE. But last week, I find one prefect online website http://www.dvdsetshop.com, which has R1, R2, and the most important is R4, which I am looking for a long time. I have bought one box set star trek, the next generation, it arrived yesterday, so good, without any problem, and I don't need to use DVD shrink any more

Reply #5994 Posted: November 11, 2008, 04:17:56 pm

Offline mish

• Addicted
  • mish has no influence.
You're from Australia?
That explains it.

Reply #5995 Posted: November 11, 2008, 04:25:58 pm

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
hahaha lol etc etc
The complications are endless... in a circus.

Reply #5996 Posted: November 11, 2008, 05:59:47 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;831367
Arnifix wins, this is problem some of people, they believe thier religion invented morales which is a load of crap.
Especially since Christianity come into exsistence relatively late as far as religion goes.
Pagans had morales.
Even animals show traits that humans would class as morales.

I'm not religious, I was just arguing because your first post was seemingly writing off the rules in the Bible or the Bible itself as pointless because they were just copying what we already knew to be common sense (ignoring the "I am the only God" ones). Then you stated your "Rule of Bell (TM)" (just quoting, not being pompous ;) ) which is just a long version of another rule stated in the Bible.

The rules and morales presented in the Bible are probably taken from what people knew to be common sense but the Bible isn't wrong for repeating them.

Reply #5997 Posted: November 11, 2008, 09:33:57 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Scunner;831690
I'm not religious, I was just arguing because your first post was seemingly writing off the rules in the Bible or the Bible itself as pointless because they were just copying what we already knew to be common sense (ignoring the "I am the only God" ones). Then you stated your "Rule of Bell (TM)" (just quoting, not being pompous ;) ) which is just a long version of another rule stated in the Bible.

The rules and morales presented in the Bible are probably taken from what people knew to be common sense but the Bible isn't wrong for repeating them.

Most of the rules I live my life by would fit well with Jesus' teachings in the Bible. Just because I think the supernatural angle is a load of garbage doesn't invalidate some of the moral tenets in the NT

Reply #5998 Posted: November 11, 2008, 10:07:57 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
bells argument is that the bible takes common sense and adds extra stuff that is irrelevent

we dont NEED the bible to live our life by

and who do you trust to tell you how to live your life?

a book that may be the base for the suppression of a rival group in society designed as part of a strategy to increase power for a select few

or your own sense of morality designed from common sense about what is best for you and those around you

Reply #5999 Posted: November 11, 2008, 11:02:57 pm