Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Nyan

• Addicted
  • Nyan has no influence.
Quote from: DDM;865676
I've never associated numbers with those meanings.. is this a purely religious thing?

It states in the bible the significance of numerics and their relation. For example:

There are 21 Old Testament writers whose names appear in the Bible (3 x 7). The numeric value of their names is divisible by seven. Of these 21, seven are named in the New Testament: Moses, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Hosea and Joel. The numeric values of these names is 1554 (222 x 7). David's name is found 1134 times (162 x 7).

That kind of mathematical structure goes throughout the whole bible

You get crucified in here if your topic point relates solely to "facts" of a religious nature.

That's what annoys me. This place being mostly Atheists or some other religion,  I get "picked on" because people don't want to hear about my beliefs but will gladly flood the place with their science.

Reply #6200 Posted: January 09, 2009, 07:23:41 pm

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
  • Zhija has no influence.
Don't worry Acid, I'm catholic too. Sort of. My beliefs differ from everyone I have met though. I don't take the bible as a literal text and I accept many scientific findings like Evolution and stuff. I also have my own opinions on matters, but the reason no one will ever be converted to my way of thinking is that I have absolutely zero proof (With scientific community or with literal biblical text) that would convert either side to thinking this way.

It's almost a comfortable middle ground, and I had almost succeeded in keeping myself from posting due to my irregular beliefs (I can't speak on behalf of everyone) but sometimes, people need to know that the number 7 actually means "many".

Reply #6201 Posted: January 09, 2009, 09:02:51 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
  • UppityDuck has no influence.
lol@ 'their science'...it belongs to all of us!

It's amazing what you can do with numbers...a sort of paredolia if you will!

That's assuming that the decimal system (Base 10) was in use then, for that to 'work'

The first evidence of decimals in Europe is in a Spanish manuscript of 976 AD.

link

Greek Numerals

Hebrew Number system

The origins and history of the number system

Hmmm...so how does the Bible numerology work?

Reply #6202 Posted: January 09, 2009, 09:07:53 pm
A mere friend will agree with you, but a real friend will argue.

Russian Proverb

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: UppityDuck;865782
lol@ 'their science'...it belongs to all of us!

It's amazing what you can do with numbers...a sort of paredolia if you will!

That's assuming that the decimal system (Base 10) was in use then, for that to 'work'

link

Greek Numerals

Hebrew Number system

The origins and history of the number system

Hmmm...so how does the Bible numerology work?

base 10 dates back as far as 3100 BC in Egypt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number#The_first_use_of_numbers

Reply #6203 Posted: January 09, 2009, 11:45:11 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: A©idBµrn;865749
It states in the bible the significance of numerics and their relation. For example:

There are 21 Old Testament writers whose names appear in the Bible (3 x 7). The numeric value of their names is divisible by seven. Of these 21, seven are named in the New Testament: Moses, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Hosea and Joel. The numeric values of these names is 1554 (222 x 7). David's name is found 1134 times (162 x 7).

That sound's just like coincidence to me. David's name is found 1134 times? So what?

The bible is made up of many different books written by different authors at different times, many of them didn't even know each other.

Any kind of mathematical structure is just coincidence.

Reply #6204 Posted: January 09, 2009, 11:53:27 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Good, it wasn't an exhaustive list by any means!:asian:

So what influence did the Egyptians have in writing the Bible?
As far as I am aware, it was Hebrew (OT) and Greek(NT). See the links I supplied above to see their number systems: Hebrew was 'quasi-Decimal', and Greek was 'alphabetic'.

However, since bible prophecy is highly contestable, I am inclined to agree that it is coincidence.

Reply #6205 Posted: January 09, 2009, 11:55:20 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.

i dont get why people are so fascinated with numbers adding or multiplying into things. You can work out fancy number codes for basically anything you want to it doesnt make it some mystical text just good mathematics.

If you want to make something fit you can it doesnt make it special

That's what annoys me. This place being mostly Atheists or some other religion,  I get "picked on" because people don't want to hear about my beliefs but will gladly flood the place with their science.

feel free to tell us your beliefs but remember we are skeptics, its in our nature to scrutinize to find out the facts. If you just told us your beliefs and we accepted them as facts then whats the point? What will we have learned? Absolutely nothing.

Reply #6206 Posted: January 10, 2009, 12:22:22 am

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
their science.

Had to quote it again.
It's our science , it knows not race nor creed nor faith...:asian:

Reply #6207 Posted: January 10, 2009, 12:38:06 am

Russian Proverb

Offline DDM

• Addicted
  • DDM has no influence.

I do want to hear about your beliefs, anything learnt is a step toward higher knowledge. What i don't care for are crazy mathematic games concocted by religious zealots trying to prove that god almighty exists and that he sent them a sign that says 6 is bad but 7 is good.

Quite frankly, most everyone here is beyond that kind of limited reasoning.

Reply #6208 Posted: January 10, 2009, 12:39:41 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.

Reply #6209 Posted: January 10, 2009, 12:43:28 am

Offline DDM

• Addicted
  • DDM has no influence.
Yes! Watch the movie "Number 23" with Jim Carrey, it's an insightful piece about nutcases and their penchant for crazy ramblings on cursed numbers.

123go.

Reply #6210 Posted: January 10, 2009, 12:51:17 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.

i did some quick research and 1 in 7 numbers has 7 as a factor, coincidence or finally proof of god? - lets let all those non-believers use their eternity in hell to try and find the "science" behind that

more worrying is that David's name is found 1134 times (189 x 6) - why would god use a multiple of Satan's number in the bible?

Reply #6211 Posted: January 10, 2009, 12:58:46 am

Offline KiLL3r

Can any christian please answer this question for me.

Who am i?

- I was Born of a Virgin
- my birth was announced by angels.
- I was Born in a manger
- Visited by Three King
- stayed with my mother until the age of twelve
- Between the ages of twelve to thirty there is no record of my life
- At age thirty I was baptized
- By this baptism i was transformed into the beloved and only begotten Son of the Father, the Holy Spirit
- i had twelve followers
- i raised people from the dead
- i performed miracles such as healing the sick and walking on water
- i was crucified.
- i was buried and resurrected
- i came back to life after three days.

if you guess jesus your wrong

Reply #6212 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:03:08 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Probably find Dr Woohoo in there about that many.

Reply #6213 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:04:13 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;865966

- I was Born of a Virgin

No way.

Reply #6214 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:05:02 am

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Menial;865968
No way.

i know i almost didnt believe it either

Reply #6215 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:08:41 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted

Reply #6216 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:10:51 am

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Can any christian please answer this question for me.

Who am i?

- I was Born of a Virgin
- my birth was announced by angels.
- I was Born in a manger
- Visited by Three King
- stayed with my mother until the age of twelve
- Between the ages of twelve to thirty there is no record of my life
- At age thirty I was baptized
- By this baptism i was transformed into the beloved and only begotten Son of the Father, the Holy Spirit
- i had twelve followers
- i raised people from the dead
- i performed miracles such as healing the sick and walking on water
- i was crucified.
- i was buried and resurrected
- i came back to life after three days.

ARNIFIX!!! HA! There.

Oh wait on, hes still living with his mum isnt he. Bugger, rules him out. :spock:

Reply #6217 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:16:31 am
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.

Not necessarily.

I know where you're going with this, but since all of those facts were true of Jesus as well, a guess of 'Jesus' would be fairly accurate, would it not? :asian:

Reply #6218 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:21:34 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
The number seven is one of the common numbers used in myth and folk tales since the dawn of recorded history.

This was the first thing that popped up when I searched for "numbers in storytelling".

Anybody who has ever seriously studied speech, drama or theatre will be able to tell you this. Now hush with this bible madness.

PS. Killer, you're talking about Mithra(s), who apparently had seven horses. (At least I think you are)

PPS. Flea, not 100% sure on this, but iirc the three magi referenced in the bible were not kings, simply wise men, or even just old men, depending on how you want to translate it.

Bonus question, since it's apparently time for General Ignorance in this quiz: What animals were present at the birth of Jesus?

Reply #6219 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:27:34 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Slob®

• Just settled in
  • Slob® has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;865982

Bonus question, since it's apparently time for General Ignorance in this quiz: What animals were present at the birth of Jesus?

ummm a couple of sheep, a few lambs, a horse ..oh and his mum.

Reply #6220 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:42:44 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted

Reply #6221 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:47:11 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Menial;865994
Your Mum.

ym is your answer for everything.

Reply #6222 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:48:37 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Slob®

• Just settled in
  • Slob® has no influence.
my mum might be old but shes not that old gov.

theorectically his mum was present and she being human, is in fact an animal.

Reply #6223 Posted: January 10, 2009, 01:48:59 am

Offline Nyan

• Addicted
  • Nyan has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;865926
feel free to tell us your beliefs but remember we are skeptics, its in our nature to scrutinize to find out the facts. If you just told us your beliefs and we accepted them as facts then whats the point? What will we have learned? Absolutely nothing.

Thats quite the opposite. You poke fun at the person because they are of another religion. Isn't that just what you were doing 2 posts back.  Dont forget the wonders of how the universe started.

Also..Isn't atheism a Religion as well? Its having faith in the "fact" that god doesn't exist.

Reply #6224 Posted: January 10, 2009, 02:48:20 am