Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: krasher;888223
What are your qualifications in micro biology and genetics cobra? Just because another man's science doesn't agree with yours doesn't mean it is wrong or he was high whilst studying.

Do you not see what you are doing? Do you not see how closed minded you appear?

science isn't like religion. You don't just have your own personal version where everything is right because you believe it to be.

Reply #6275 Posted: February 14, 2009, 12:05:38 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
What are your qualifications in micro biology and genetics cobra? Just because another man's science doesn't agree with yours doesn't mean it is wrong or he was high whilst studying.

My fiancée has degree in biology (who was shocked at how ill informed that post was) and who has done advanced papers in evolution, i have done a reasonable amount of reading on the subject.

It is not "my" science his doesn't agree with, it is "the" science that it doesn't agree with

Do you not see what you are doing? Do you not see how closed minded you appear?

to be honest, if my post appears closed minded to you it is more your ignorance towards science than anything else

Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;888228
science isn't like religion. You don't just have your own personal version where everything is right because you believe it to be.

if you are ever in wellington call me up for a high five

Reply #6276 Posted: February 14, 2009, 12:52:54 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Quote from: Bell;887541
IMO its because evolution has completely stopped in humans because the weakest link doesn't die out.

Without Medicine those people with serious genetic conditions at birth normally die before having children.
Now because we save everyone we can, people with defective genes survive to pass on bad genes to thier children who inturn pass it on.

I would argue that we are devolving, and lifestyle doesn't effect our genes.
Evolution is the process of an animal improving to suit its environment by passing on favourable genes while losing non-favourable traits through death.
We are encourging non-favourable genes to continue to spread throughout the gene pool through the use of medicine, thus becoming a "weaker" species.
This I completely agree with.

Quote from: Dante;887572
Actually - it's more accurate to describe that particular process as 'natural selection', and the term evolution describes the development of something over time, as a whole; Ie. the development of the Earth over time, the development of species over time, the development of the solar system over time, and so forth. Just to be somewhat pedantic...
Yeah, really just semantics.  Natural selection being the driving force behind organic evolution.

Quote from: Dante;887572
Oh well, that's life. If it's any constellation, there is still a whole raft of geneticists working on the Human Genome Project.. From what I understand they completed the mapping of the entire genome a few years ago and are now busily working on decoding and deconstructing it, identifying and attempting to eliminate certain mutations that result in genetically inherited deficiencies, or obtain data that can be utilized by medical professionals to better treat, or even cure a range of currently incurable diseases. (I wonder if they can find a cure to the common cold as well? :D)

That's just based on my limited knowledge on the subject, but it's pretty fascinating anyway. They are doing some amazing stuff.

It sounds great in theory, but one must also always keep in mind, that if there is one thing we should have learnt by now it is that messing around with nature can and indeed has had dire consequences.

Incidentally, have you seen a film called Gattaca?
 It's just a shame there's so many stupid people out there, mostly with fundamentalist religious beliefs. They lobby their arses off to try and stop things like stem cell research, when all they're doing is holding back progression, with no sensible reason.  (spiritual beliefs are not a sensible reason for anything at all in the real world).

Maybe they should work on isolating the "stupid" gene first, and see what can be done about that.

Edit: Way to contradict myself in a single post, kinda.

Reply #6277 Posted: February 14, 2009, 01:28:05 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;888228

I didn't say it was. But you can't say that science all backs itself. Science has been contradicting itself for years.

We skew stuff through our lenses of perception. This means that whilst reality is reality. Truth is truth etc, we still may never find it - science and religion both share the fact that they are interpreted via our senses which make them subjective. Sure science has tools of measurement, but the data still needs interpreting.

So, Cobra...what is 'The Science' that you speak of? The all knowing always right science? I didn't know it existed. Is it your invisible friend?

My understanding of science is that it acknowledges different theories and only calls fact what it has in fact proven.

Reply #6278 Posted: February 14, 2009, 01:34:52 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
  • UppityDuck has no influence.
Quote from: pix;887522

Genetically we all come from one original woman

That is bunkum...the term'Eve' is used for a population, not an individual

Quote from: pix;888150
A father with a degree in micro biology and genetics.

...but he didn't tell you to write that bunkum in the earlier post did he?

Reply #6279 Posted: February 14, 2009, 01:52:47 pm
A mere friend will agree with you, but a real friend will argue.

Russian Proverb

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Quote from: krasher;888260
I didn't say it was. But you can't say that science all backs itself. Science has been contradicting itself for years.

We skew stuff through our lenses of perception. This means that whilst reality is reality. Truth is truth etc, we still may never find it - science and religion both share the fact that they are interpreted via our senses which make them subjective. Sure science has tools of measurement, but the data still needs interpreting.

So, Cobra...what is 'The Science' that you speak of? The all knowing always right science? I didn't know it existed. Is it your invisible friend?

My understanding of science is that it acknowledges different theories and only calls fact what it has in fact proven.
It sounds like you're trying to compare widely observed physical phenomena (aka 'science') with myth (aka 'Religion'), and saying they both have equal merit in the real world? lol?

"Science" progresses, it's goal being the "how and why".  

"Religion" just gives up on parts of it's chosen myth when they become too ridiculous to believe, it's goal being a warm blanket for those who need answers to the questions practical observation has yet to answer, those afraid of death, and most of all, those that need social control.

Reply #6280 Posted: February 14, 2009, 01:59:58 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!

You're making the mistake most people make, of mixing up data (facts) with interpretation (theories).

If data is reasonably debatable, it isn't scientific data. If interpretation isn't debatable it isn't scientific interpretation.

The statements pix posted are so unsupported by the body of evidence supporting evolution that I still don't know what evidence he based his statements on, which is why I haven't rebutted them.

In particular his evolution makes no sense statement is absurd. Even anti evolution arguments themselves have evolved in the last 100 years. In some ways the principle of evolution ( that which succeeds replaces that which fails) is fundamental to the way the whole universe functions. What would be bizarre would be if life was exempt from such a universal occurrence.

Reply #6281 Posted: February 14, 2009, 02:12:55 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;888273
You're making the mistake most people make, of mixing up data (facts) with interpretation (theories).

No, I didn't. I thought my post was clear about the difference. The difference was my point. This misunderstanding proves my point.

What is written is fact.
What is says is only a matter of opinion.

Reply #6282 Posted: February 14, 2009, 02:46:58 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: krasher;888285
What is written is fact.

Krasher is a hosepipe.

Reply #6283 Posted: February 14, 2009, 02:50:23 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member

wow - you talking about invisible friends, I hope you took a swig from the irony cup before you typed that

I can not teach you science - if you are truly interested you should learn yourself, but your fragile world view would need to evolve for you to gain a good understanding.

'the science' that i refered to, and please note the ' ', i put around it was the science of evolution. You, once again, are ignorant of science which is causing your confusion

you don't have an understanding of science.

just because science is a constantly evolving world view mean that any interpretation is correct, the edges of science tend to be the parts debated, not the foundations of evolution that tend to only not be accepted by religious people who have a non-scientific agenda -  the post i slammed for being incorrect displayed a fundamental lack of understanding of evolutionary biology and offered no facts or evidence to back it up.

Reply #6284 Posted: February 14, 2009, 03:09:23 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted

An oldie but a goodie:

Karl Popper: Science as falsification

1. It is easy to obtain confirmations, or verifications, for nearly every theory — if we look for confirmations.

2. Confirmations should count only if they are the result of risky predictions; that is to say, if, unenlightened by the theory in question, we should have expected an event which was incompatible with the theory — an event which would have refuted the theory.

3. Every "good" scientific theory is a prohibition: it forbids certain things to happen. The more a theory forbids, the better it is.

4. A theory which is not refutable by any conceivable event is non-scientific. Irrefutability is not a virtue of a theory (as people often think) but a vice.

5. Every genuine test of a theory is an attempt to falsify it, or to refute it. Testability is falsifiability; but there are degrees of testability: some theories are more testable, more exposed to refutation, than others; they take, as it were, greater risks.

6. Confirming evidence should not count except when it is the result of a genuine test of the theory; and this means that it can be presented as a serious but unsuccessful attempt to falsify the theory. (I now speak in such cases of "corroborating evidence.")

7. Some genuinely testable theories, when found to be false, are still upheld by their admirers — for example by introducing ad hoc some auxiliary assumption, or by reinterpreting the theory ad hoc in such a way that it escapes refutation. Such a procedure is always possible, but it rescues the theory from refutation only at the price of destroying, or at least lowering, its scientific status. (I later described such a rescuing operation as a "conventionalist twist" or a "conventionalist stratagem.")

One can sum up all this by saying that the criterion of the scientific status of a theory is its falsifiability, or refutability, or testability.

Intelligent Design?
Natural History magazine

An interesting read. Especially Eugenie Scott (one of my 'champions').

Reply #6285 Posted: February 14, 2009, 03:25:49 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Intelligent Design huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracunculiasis

tell me what sort of intelligent designer creates a creature like this that can only live in HUMANS?

Basically if you get the eggs for these things inside of you the only way to get them out once they hatch is to wait for them to painfully climb their way out.

And where do they come out?

The former US President Jimmy Carter stumbled across a crying woman who appeared to be cradling a baby to her right breast. He stepped forward to talk to her -- but he reeled back when he realised a three-foot-long worm was inching its way out of her nipple, at the centre of an engorged purpling breast. It was one of eleven guinea worms taking a month or more to crawl out of the young woman's body that summer. One was burrowing out from her vagina. The woman couldn't speak; she could only howl.

Reply #6286 Posted: February 14, 2009, 04:09:34 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
No, not Intelligent Design...Eugenie Scott...she's the crux

Reply #6287 Posted: February 14, 2009, 08:09:13 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: krasher;888285
No, I didn't. I thought my post was clear about the difference. The difference was my point. This misunderstanding proves my point.

What is written is fact.
What is says is only a matter of opinion.

"opinion" based on evidence (facts) carries a lot more weight than opinion based solely on belief and hearsay.

Anyone who wishes to make a scientific claim must provide data (fact) that can be reproduced by anyone else independently. They must then provide a chain of reasoning from that data to support their conclusions. Other scientists are free to argue those conclusions, but they must argue from the data.

In some cases the data is so clear, and is so well supported by a range of independently gained data that any reasonable debate is relegated to the details and edges. Gravity, relativity, evolution, conservation of momentum, etc are all proven in the sense that no reasonable objection can be raised. No general case can be proved absolutely, but if that wasn't the case, it wouldn't be science.

The whole point of the scientific method is to minimise subjectivity

In religion your opinion has to be backed by whichever book your particular group agrees is special, or in some cases even just claiming your particular god told you is good enough. In other words religion is totally subjective, unless the individual believes, their god doesn't exist.

To understand the objective universe, science is the best tool we have, religion one of the worst. Of course its also true that when trying to understand spiritual matters religion is a very good tool, with science being of limited use.

The reason I get drawn into these debates, is when those of a religious bent insist on using their religious beliefs to refute scientific understanding. Science doesn't even try and enter into the theology thing. God is not falsifiable so science is just not interested. Lets keep the 2 separate.

So the religious guy who thought the earth was 4000 years old was wrong. Big deal. The concept that the earth is 4000 years old is absurd, unless of course we are all in a virtual reality in which case we could well have only been here for 5 minutes, however long that is in the reality this simulation is based in, unless of course it's also embedded in its own simulation ad infinitum.

Strangely enough the above whimsy is more likely than the christian god existing. I can create a rational speculation to reach the above state, whereas the christian god, based on nothing more than the writings and stated beliefs of his followers, is a paradoxical absurdity.

I don't have a problem with gods. If you have one, that's fine. I just hate it when people want to try and do science with them

Reply #6288 Posted: February 15, 2009, 03:00:32 am

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;888553
The concept that the earth is 4000 years old is absurd, unless of course we are all in a virtual reality in which case we could well have only been here for 5 minutes, however long that is in the reality this simulation is based in, unless of course it's also embedded in its own simulation ad infinitum.

You might be interested in this then!

Our world may be a giant hologram

Reply #6289 Posted: February 15, 2009, 09:09:33 am

Russian Proverb

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: UppityDuck;888576
You might be interested in this then!

Our world may be a giant hologram

Ahhh yes I read that a while back. The concept that the universe has a finite pixel size so to speak is fascinating.  

It appears we really may be eddies in the space time continuum. Douglas Adams proved to be a prophetic genius yet again

Reply #6290 Posted: February 15, 2009, 06:42:26 pm

Offline broncos

• Addicted
  • broncos has no influence.

Reply #6291 Posted: February 28, 2009, 10:39:26 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

hmm. Things that go bump in the night. Wouldn't that be more paranormal than religious?

Reply #6292 Posted: February 28, 2009, 11:56:34 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;896273
hmm. Things that go bump in the night. Wouldn't that be more paranormal than religious?

It could also be carelessness, wear and tear, or myopia!

The latest New Scientist has an interesting wee article on how to spot a hidden religious agenda.

AS A book reviews editor at New Scientist, I often come across so-called science books which after a few pages reveal themselves to be harbouring ulterior motives. I have learned to recognise clues that the author is pushing a religious agenda. As creationists in the US continue to lose court battles over attempts to have intelligent design taught as science in federally funded schools, their strategy has been forced to... well, evolve. That means ensuring that references to pseudoscientific concepts like ID are more heavily veiled. So I thought I'd share a few tips for spotting what may be religion in science's clothing........It is crucial to the public's intellectual health to know when science really is science. Those with a religious agenda will continue to disguise their true views in their effort to win supporters, so please read between the lines.

Reply #6293 Posted: March 01, 2009, 12:01:59 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Found this during my daily browse. Thought it was worth sharing:

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp132/uppityduck/Creationism.gif
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #6294 Posted: March 08, 2009, 10:49:43 am

Russian Proverb

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
  • Dante has no influence.
Is anyone here even a so-called creationist?

Hey Uppityduck, care for a debate? (to get this thread a bit more lively again) If you agree to it, then since you brought it up the first topic can be: "Is God an imaginary friend for adults"

You can put forth your arguments, and I shall rebut, if you like...

Reply #6295 Posted: March 08, 2009, 01:40:15 pm

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
Is anyone here even a so-called creationist?

Hey Uppityduck, care for a debate? (to get this thread a bit more lively again) If you agree to it, then since you brought it up the first topic can be: "Is God an imaginary friend for adults"

You can put forth your arguments, and I shall rebut, if you like...

Reply #6296 Posted: March 08, 2009, 01:43:24 pm

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
Is anyone here even a so-called "Creatonist"?

I think Werner Von Braun, the foremost prominent rocket engineer of the 20th century, made a rather poignant remark when he said:

"It is in scientific honesty that I endorse the presentation of alternative theories for the origin of the universe, life and man in the science classroom. It would be an error to overlook the possibility that the universe was planned rather than happening by chance."

Don't get me wrong, I don't think children should be taught a literal biblical interpretation as a theory for anything because that would be ludicrous, however on the other hand I don't think they should be given the false impression that the theory of evolution is the be all and end all to all explanations for everything, because it is not - yet that is the agenda that some atheist spokespeople are no doubt trying to push.

Reply #6297 Posted: March 08, 2009, 01:53:09 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Upon surrendering with his rocket team to the Americans in 1945: "We knew that we had created a new means of warfare, and the question as to what nation, to what victorious nation we were willing to entrust this brainchild of ours was a moral decision more than anything else. We wanted to see the world spared another conflict such as Germany had just been through, and we felt that only by surrendering such a weapon to people who are guided by the Bible could such an assurance to the world be best secured."
source

He also said this, and the bolded words are quite disturbing, especially if you have any understanding of the Bible.

Of course, there is the possibility as you say, but it is not a necessity and therefore, in my opinion, is superfluous.

Of course, the Theory of Evolution isn't the be all and end all. At this point in time it is the best and most testable theory for how life evolved. It doesn't pretend to be the unifying explanation for everything, the formation of the Planets, the Big Bang, or even how Life arrived on Earth

Reply #6298 Posted: March 08, 2009, 02:21:18 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Dante;900145
Is anyone here even a so-called "Creatonist"?

I think Werner Von Braun, the foremost prominent rocket engineer of the 20th engineer, made a rather poignant remark when he said:

"It is in scientific honesty that I endorse the presentation of alternative theories for the origin of the universe, life and man in the science classroom. It would be an error to overlook the possibility that the universe was planned rather than happening by chance."

Don't get me wrong, I don't think children should be taught a literal biblical interpretation as a theory for anything because that would be ludicrous, however on the other hand I don't think they should be given the false impression that the theory of evolution is the be all and end all to all explanations for everything, because it is not - yet that is the agenda that some atheist spokespeople are no doubt trying to push.

are there any alternative theories - because the universe getting magiced in by a spacemonster isn't really a theory

Reply #6299 Posted: March 08, 2009, 02:23:03 pm