Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!

Reply #6325 Posted: March 10, 2009, 12:04:16 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;901099
I hate failing tests :(

did you get some of your morals in line with the bible? unlucky....

Reply #6326 Posted: March 10, 2009, 08:16:49 am

Offline bobziolla

• Addicted
  • bobziolla has no influence.
im good at failing things, but seriously, 69% in line with the bible? gtfo

Reply #6327 Posted: March 10, 2009, 09:05:03 am
One cool cat :orange:

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.

Reply #6328 Posted: March 10, 2009, 09:15:43 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: cobra;901177
did you get some of your morals in line with the bible? unlucky....

I got 0%. I never got 0% in a test before *sigh*

Reply #6329 Posted: March 10, 2009, 12:00:28 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
  • UppityDuck has no influence.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;901287
I got 0%. I never got 0% in a test before *sigh*

Neither, but I'm actually kinda glad that I 'failed' this one and I suspect that you probably are too.

Reply #6330 Posted: March 10, 2009, 12:06:30 pm
A mere friend will agree with you, but a real friend will argue.

Russian Proverb

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
YEAH FUCKN YEAH!!!!!!!!
:rnr::rnr::rnr::rnr::rnr::rnr::rnr:

Reply #6331 Posted: March 10, 2009, 12:45:02 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.
an interesting read in the herald online

A belief in God is deeply embedded in the human brain, which is programmed for religious experiences, according to a United States study.

Scientists searching for the neural "God spot", which is supposed to control religious belief, believe several areas of the brain form the biological foundations of religious belief.

The researchers said their findings supported the idea that the brain had evolved to be sensitive to any form of belief that improved the chances of survival, which could explain why a belief in God and the supernatural became so widespread in human evolutionary history.

full read here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10560954

Reply #6332 Posted: March 11, 2009, 07:26:56 am

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
In reply to that I'll quote this by someone else from another forum:

Ahh! The throngs of biological reductionism!

Seriously though, in a population where danger is in no short supply, and whose members might become easily emotionally subject to the prospect of failure, being able to put faith into a deliberate lie might have put members at a fitness-reproductive advantage over the rest of the population, whereby they would act courageously in the face of seemingly unavoidable calamities.

In modern times, this experience is being exploited as a social phenomenon in order to mobilize individuals for purposes of moral uniformity, which depending on the rigid structure of said society, is necessary for its stable replication. Why the society came to a scenario that favors rigid social institutions is beyond me, but it might have something to do with the allocation of resources in times of stress. Obviously, if we lived in Utopia there would be no quarrels over what type of food we eat (Hinduism and their bovine gods), with whom we socialize and ultimately procreate (segregation in southern U.S. in the 1950's, etc.) and what else. Resource scarcity is one thing, but there might be other, more deeply layered forms of social selective pressures, which while unique end up invariably being tied to limits of food production.

Where religion might prevent young adults from having sex, and forcing them to a commit to a life-long marriage before hand, it might be because resources are scarce and caring for additional children would be too burdensome on their families. Spirituality, in turn, is the physiological manifestation in the brain of such a willingness to submit to popular rhetoric, or a suppression of the parietal lobe, which entails a decline in the value of self-identity and selfishness, the purpose of which is to approach an equilibrium stable strategy when considering the outcomes of all possible social actions. In this case, while it might not seem good for the individual, it's often beneficial for the population as a whole. What we might be observing with rebellious youth today could in fact be a discrepancy between a need to uphold redundant religious institutions and an actual lack of consequence for failing to adhere to them, especially in a modern society, which has all the resources and more to care for, for example, children fathered by a a young boy.

Reply #6333 Posted: March 11, 2009, 08:35:22 am

Russian Proverb

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
I have just read an article about a Bishop in Brazil who has excommunicated a nine year old girl, her mother and the two doctors who performed the operation on her, but not the girls step father...

Here's the story. The stepfather rapes the girl, she gets pregnant with twins. The doctors realize that she will probably die if she goes to term so they perform an abortion.

This is seriously fucked up, you would think after all the scandals that have rocked the Church over the last decade it would be more thoughtful over issues like this. The order for excommunication came from a Cardinal at the Vatican. Do these crusty old cunts ever get out and mingle with people? When was the last time he even meet a 9 year old girl? And as for the stepfather he can just go to Church on Sunday and repent.

Another nail in the coffin for the Church.

Now I know this is not view of the vast majority of Catholic folk, but you should be protesting against this  sort of shit. Not in my name etc

Reply #6334 Posted: March 12, 2009, 09:51:50 am

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: runing;902455
Another nail in the coffin for the Church.

They gotta be almost done nailing that bad boy shut by now...

Reply #6335 Posted: March 12, 2009, 06:05:22 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
I totally understand your anger at this, and I am in full agreeance.

The key bit for me:
Quote from: runing;902455
The order for excommunication came from a Cardinal at the Vatican.

Really, God - without the negative input,  and associated rules/dogma, of man - is all about love and compassion, and clearly this instance displays neither. Thus, the problem is that men have put their rules and judgments above what God is really about.

Your statement that this is "another nail in the coffin of the church" is right on the money; but thats not to say its another nail in the coffin of God.

If that makes sense.

As has been the case all through this thread, hatred towards God is really hatred towards what man has allowed God to represent. This is one of those times, I guess.

Reply #6336 Posted: March 12, 2009, 09:48:46 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;902892
As has been the case all through this thread, hatred towards God is really hatred towards what man has allowed God to represent. This is one of those times, I guess.

Could I not hate god for what he has allowed man to represent him as?

Reply #6337 Posted: March 12, 2009, 11:00:12 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.

The key bit for me:

Really, God - without the negative input,  and associated rules/dogma, of man - is all about love and compassion, and clearly this instance displays neither. Thus, the problem is that men have put their rules and judgments above what God is really about.

sorry but i believe that it is your human input that has created a god that is about love and compassion....

you are human and you are flawed, you cant be trusted to say what god is and is not

Reply #6338 Posted: March 13, 2009, 12:09:52 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: nick247;902994
sorry but i believe that it is your human input that has created a god that is about love and compassion....

you are human and you are flawed, you cant be trusted to say what god is and is not

If he can't say who or what his god is, or isn't, then who can? There's no indication who or what gods are, outside the words and actions of the people who believe they exist.

As someone who has a god fleastyler is the only person qualified to talk about him.

Reply #6339 Posted: March 13, 2009, 07:35:34 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member

tbh i hate god as much as i hate leprechauns, which is not at all as they are both human constructs - god is only what man represents of him

This is hate towards human actions justified by men who claim they are justified by god

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion."  Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate in Physics

Reply #6340 Posted: March 13, 2009, 07:40:59 am

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.

Really, God - without the negative input,  and associated rules/dogma, of man - is all about love and compassion

then why does he continue to do nothing despite all the terrible things that happen in our world on a daily basis.

surely if he is omnipotent and omniscient then he knows what is going on and could stop it anytime.

that fact that he chooses to do nothing must make you question his so called "love and compassion"?

Reply #6341 Posted: March 13, 2009, 08:10:10 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: KiLL3r;903052
then why does he continue to do nothing despite all the terrible things that happen in our world on a daily basis.

Free will.
Humans always got a choice... 'he' can't do shit about that.

Reply #6342 Posted: March 13, 2009, 06:20:24 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;903429
Free will.
Humans always got a choice... 'he' can't do shit about that.

Saul.

Reply #6343 Posted: March 13, 2009, 08:19:36 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: KiLL3r;903052

that fact that he chooses to do nothing must make you question his so called "love and compassion"?

part of christianity is rewarding people who dont question, flea will be giving him self a self high five for ignoring any challenging questions. blind faith and all

Reply #6344 Posted: March 13, 2009, 08:58:43 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
I think Flea doesn't mind asking himself challenging questions. Why else would he post here knowing people like you are set fast in your beliefs and have complete disdain for all things religious.

I used to like this thread, but now it is just a bunch of atheists giving each other reach arounds and hassling the 2-3 christians  who are brave enough to post their reasons for having religion in their lives.

Reply #6345 Posted: March 15, 2009, 08:39:29 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Belief in a god doesn't make you brave.

Reply #6346 Posted: March 15, 2009, 09:17:00 am

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
....nor, conversely, lack of a belief in god.

Reply #6347 Posted: March 15, 2009, 09:37:18 am

Russian Proverb

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: UppityDuck;903928
....nor, conversely, lack of a belief in god.

Well it some what does, no fear of death/afterlife or how you want to put it.

Have to be kinda brave for that.

Reply #6348 Posted: March 15, 2009, 10:00:36 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.

Reply #6349 Posted: March 15, 2009, 10:22:07 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.