Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Zig

• Just settled in
  • Zig has no influence.
Quote from: Iblis;904305
Romans 4:21 is about Abraham being fertile at 100 years old.

How does Abraham being persuaded that God will make him fertile at 100 years old translate to being able to validate religion in the face of scientific evidence?

Take it in context man...

God had promised Abraham that he would be the Father of a great nation. As the verse says, he was fully persuaded of this because of the things that had happened in his life. My point was not that Abraham was fertile...But rather that we are not meant to believe in something simply because it is convenient or 'nice', but rather we are called to believe based on evidence.

Paul says, when talking about eyewitness accounts he has recorded, "These things are given that you may believe." In other words, Christian beliefs are meant to be based on evidence.

Like I said though, read the books, and then talk.

Reply #6375 Posted: March 16, 2009, 12:52:55 am

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
  • Iblis has no influence.
Quote from: St!g;904309
Take it in context man...

God had promised Abraham that he would be the Father of a great nation. As the verse says, he was fully persuaded of this because of the things that had happened in his life. My point was not that Abraham was fertile...But rather that we are not meant to believe in something simply because it is convenient or 'nice', but rather we are called to believe based on evidence.

Paul says, when talking about eyewitness accounts he has recorded, "These things are given that you may believe." In other words, Christian beliefs are meant to be based on evidence.

Eyewitness testimony is not scientific evidence. It may get you a prosecution in a murder case, but only after your story has been corroborated by the police, and you have been grilled by the defence attorney. It is used solely as the basis of a conviction only when forensic evidence is nil.

Quote from: St!g;904309
Like I said though, read the books, and then talk.
Fair enough, I took a jab at you. I have read plenty of books, including the bible, and I am quite confident in my attempt to consider theology in an objective manner. The closest I can come is a god who does not care about our silly religions or our social affairs at all but instead is busy making new stars and black holes in the corners of the universe.

Reply #6376 Posted: March 16, 2009, 01:02:48 am

Offline Zig

• Just settled in
  • Zig has no influence.
Quote from: Iblis;904315
Eyewitness testimony is not scientific evidence. It may get you a prosecution in a murder case, but only after your story has been corroborated by the police, and you have been grilled by the defence attorney. It is used solely as the basis of a conviction only when forensic evidence is nil.

It is one type of evidence though and that's more what I am getting at. The point is that we are asked to analyze, not blindly believe.
[
Quote from: Iblis;904315

Fair enough, I took a jab at you. I have read plenty of books, including the bible, and I am quite confident in my attempt to consider theology in an objective manner. The closest I can come is a god who does not care about our silly religions or our social affairs at all but instead is busy making new stars and black holes in the corners of the universe.

Fair enough. I respect that, at least you have obviously given the topic some heavy thought, and that is admirable in itself.

Anyway, I'm struggling to keep my eyes open now and I have Uni tomorrow. I'm outa here.

Reply #6377 Posted: March 16, 2009, 01:11:35 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: St!g;904319
It is one type of evidence though and that's more what I am getting at. The point is that we are asked to analyze, not blindly believe.
[
Fair enough. I respect that, at least you have obviously given the topic some heavy thought, and that is admirable in itself.

Anyway, I'm struggling to keep my eyes open now and I have Uni tomorrow. I'm outa here.

Quoting from a book of moral fables is not evidence.  As far as I can follow your arguments , they seem to be on a par with claiming that travelling at speeds faster than the speed of light is possible because it says so in "Starship Trooper"

If I write " And then the flying spaghetti monster spoke, saying thou shalt not eat false pasta before me", In 2000 years time, that will not be evidence for the existence of the one true pasta god.

Biblical quotations are not any sort of evidence at all. If the Bible is a piece  of evidence for anything, it's the absurdity of the Xtian god

Reply #6378 Posted: March 16, 2009, 07:28:35 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: St!g;904287
You'll find that the 'mainstream' Bible translations (and I say that in the same broad sense I said for science) are very similar in their words (and almost identical in their meaning. The translations that are significantly different in their content are ones that don't use all the same scrolls for translating. For instance the King James Version was published in the early 1600's, and a large number of original scrolls have been rediscovered since then.

so, you will claim that christian belief has not changed since the early 1600's and will never change as there is a clear guide in what god wants us to do/think?

or - the case in which i am right - the bible can be interpreted in many ways and is constantly re-interpreted to suit what ever agenda a particular person want to put across?

Reply #6379 Posted: March 16, 2009, 08:18:56 am

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
  • UppityDuck has no influence.
Quote from: St!g;904296
There is no doubt that Jesus was a real person.

Firstly, thanks for your replies. Don't be dissuaded from continuing!

I must take issue with this though. I'm at work so I can't reply in depth, but this has been covered earlier in this thread (many times!). I'll see what I can dig up and get back to you!
The closest candidate is Yeshua Ben Joseph.....but there certainly is doubt about the historicity of Jesus.

Reply #6380 Posted: March 16, 2009, 09:33:39 am
A mere friend will agree with you, but a real friend will argue.

Russian Proverb

Offline Zig

• Just settled in
  • Zig has no influence.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;904337
Quoting from a book of moral fables is not evidence.  As far as I can follow your arguments , they seem to be on a par with claiming that travelling at speeds faster than the speed of light is possible because it says so in "Starship Trooper"

If I write " And then the flying spaghetti monster spoke, saying thou shalt not eat false pasta before me", In 2000 years time, that will not be evidence for the existence of the one true pasta god.

Biblical quotations are not any sort of evidence at all. If the Bible is a piece  of evidence for anything, it's the absurdity of the Xtian god

Actually the Bible is completely historically accurate (and seeing as that is how we are using it, as a chronology of Israel and early Christianity), it is a perfectly appropriate piece of evidence.

Whether you believe in the underlying principles is another matter....But that's not what I'm pushing here so...

Quote from: cobra;904348
so, you will claim that christian belief has not changed since the early 1600's and will never change as there is a clear guide in what god wants us to do/think?

or - the case in which i am right - the bible can be interpreted in many ways and is constantly re-interpreted to suit what ever agenda a particular person want to put across?

The King James was missing historical details and some finer points of theolog, due to the missing scrolls, but the core message remains the same, and has done so for 2000 years.

If you really want substantial and complete answers I suggest you go read a book by a Professor of Theology. If you don't actually want answers, then you're just trolling in which case there is no point in me posting anyway...

EDIT: Sorry Duck, kinda lost Net connection. I'll pull out what I'm referring to when I get home tonight (if I get home...lol)

EDIT: See this for starters. Not what I was talking about but it does a reasonable job of summarizing a few good points.

Reply #6381 Posted: March 16, 2009, 10:39:41 am

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Link

Not exactly relevant, but still useful:
Link

Hmmm, that Ngati-Grim was handy at times! ;)

Quote from: St!g;904426
Actually the Bible is completely historically accurate (and seeing as that is how we are using it, as a chronology of Israel and early Christianity), it is a perfectly appropriate piece of evidence.

I'm sorry, but I must take issue with the above bolded statement. Can I say 'Genesis' at this point?...or the Noachian Flood?, or myriad other episodes. Allegory perhaps, but complete historical accuracy is not the case!

Reply #6382 Posted: March 16, 2009, 11:27:00 am

Russian Proverb

Offline Zig

• Just settled in
  • Zig has no influence.
Quote from: UppityDuck;904462
Link

Not exactly relevant, but still useful:
Link

Hmmm, that Ngati-Grim was handy at times! ;)

I'm sorry, but I must take issue with the above bolded statement. Can I say 'Genesis' at this point?...or the Noachian Flood?, or myriad other episodes. Allegory perhaps, but complete historical accuracy is not the case!

Will read through those as soon as I get a chance.

Ok so you got me there. Some of those events may be considered metaphors rather than complete historical recordings. I should have really said that the New Testament is historically accurate...My mistake.

EDIT: Just had a read through, and I'll look a bit into it later, but...it just all seems a tad far-fetched....now I can see that Christianity seems far-fetched also...So bear with me and I'll think about it more.

Can you honestly see the Romans making up a God and writing scrolls in the vain hope that the Jewish people would fall for it? Why didn't they just go to War again, they'd done it enough times before...

But I know it's a fairly big issue hanging in the balance, so I'll give it due thought.

Reply #6383 Posted: March 16, 2009, 12:41:28 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member

Whether you believe in the underlying principles is another matter....But that's not what I'm pushing here so...

The King James was missing historical details and some finer points of theolog, due to the missing scrolls, but the core message remains the same, and has done so for 2000 years.

If you really want substantial and complete answers I suggest you go read a book by a Professor of Theology. If you don't actually want answers, then you're just trolling in which case there is no point in me posting anyway...

EDIT: Sorry Duck, kinda lost Net connection. I'll pull out what I'm referring to when I get home tonight (if I get home...lol)

EDIT: See this for starters. Not what I was talking about but it does a reasonable job of summarizing a few good points.

im still waiting on all the science that people dont agree on, unless you were just trolling and making stuff up.....

the case is not so much about if there a dude call jesus about those times - more the fact that the myths attributed to him are ripped off, by unimaginative writers, from earlier myths - which surely is a strong indicator that all the magic that jesus "did" is just lies - it would be a huge coincidence otherwise.

can you answer why - if as you claim that there is a clear document what god wants, there is no unity amongst the churches in what they claim is gods will? the fact that there is not unity doesn't make sense if what you are claiming is true

also - you dont find it strange that "god" is using a book to communicate with man, which is pretty identical to the way a made up god would communicate - not using some of his magic and doing all those tricks he apparently used to do as documented in the historically accurate bible

Reply #6384 Posted: March 16, 2009, 01:26:13 pm

Offline Zig

• Just settled in
  • Zig has no influence.
Quote from: cobra;904559
im still waiting on all the science that people dont agree on, unless you were just trolling and making stuff up.....
Yea, I forgot about that, there's too many posts, and I have a short attention span.

Just off the top of my head though, there's all sorts of 'fringe sciences' that fit under the blanket of Science, but often aren't welcomed by the scientific community. Particularly in Atomic physics, several theories that I've read off trying to debunk The Theory of Relativity (among others) using all sorts of weird methods, like Pascall's Triangle, Flux Theory, etc.

All stuff that is difficult if not impossible to disprove, and usually vice versa.
can you answer why - if as you claim that there is a clear document what god wants, there is no unity amongst the churches in what they claim is gods will? the fact that there is not unity doesn't make sense if what you are claiming is true
Dude I've said it enough times, he gave us free choice, so if anything, a lack of unity only reinforces the point (unfortunately). Just because God is all powerful does not mean he is going to force the world into conformity...
also - you dont find it strange that "god" is using a book to communicate with man, which is pretty identical to the way a made up god would communicate - not using some of his magic and doing all those tricks he apparently used to do as documented in the historically accurate bible
There is actually theology behind this, but I don't all that much about it tbh, so I'm not going to embarrass myself with it.

Secondly...you can't dismiss a worldview based on it's convenience...

Go read a book....

Reply #6385 Posted: March 16, 2009, 02:23:25 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Quote from: St!g;904517
I should have really said that the New Testament is historically accurate...My mistake.

Is 'Revelations' part of the New Testament?

Textual Reliability / Accuracy Of The New Testament

Fact—The New Testament is the Most Historically Accurate Book Ever Written

The first link is serious, the second  (while proclaiming to be serious) is shonky!

Quote from: St!g;904604
Dude I've said it enough times, he gave us free choice, so if anything, a lack of unity only reinforces the point (unfortunately). Just because God is all powerful does not mean he is going to force the world into conformity

I don't buy it.
Why isn't God an interventionist any more?
Saul?
Saul?
Saul?

Reply #6386 Posted: March 16, 2009, 02:47:35 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline Zig

• Just settled in
  • Zig has no influence.
Quote from: UppityDuck;904621
Is 'Revelations' part of the New Testament?

Sure it is, but I'd put it more in the category of prophecy/(allegory?), hard to catergorize something as historically correct when it is mainly a prophecy that hasn't come to pass....

Agreed that the second website looks to have a few weak ideas.

Quote from: UppityDuck;904621

I don't buy it.
Why isn't God an interventionist any more?
Saul?
Saul?
Saul?

Who's to say he isn't?

He 'intervened' very very rarely during the Bible and only when that person was going to play a key part in his plans (if he wanted Saul to write half the NT for him and at that stage Saul was still stoning Christians, I'm not suprised he intervened :P ).

Assuming he had a big plan for someone today and he really wanted to get their attention...I'm not going to second guess God. If you know what I mean...But yea who knows....Complex subject.

Reply #6387 Posted: March 16, 2009, 03:20:03 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.

As I understand it, there probably isn't 100% concurrence among scientists of a particular field as to the validity of any field of science, is there?

For example, do 100% of physicists believe the exact same - as in, down to the dots over the 'i' - chain of events and list of factors that compounded to create the Big Bang? I don't think so. Does every physicist come to the exact same conclusions about every discovery? Is there even a concise, completely-agree-upon set of rules that govern even basic physics?

Maybe it would be easier if you just showed us some science that is 100% conclusively, by-everyone-and-his-dog agree upon, and we can go from there?

In fact, lets play a fun game - how about the 'atheists' here start providing some proof that God definitively does not exist, other than just spitting the same-ole "Christianz are fagz" rhetoric, filled with mindless speculation regurgitated from Richard Dawkins, and based around using logic to explain something which - by the admission of anyone practicing it who is honest about it - cannot be explained logically. Anyone keen?

Maybe I should make a set of rules and an investigation process for you guys to follow, since you seem to appreciate the scientific method.

Reply #6388 Posted: March 16, 2009, 03:52:35 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
By the way:
Quote from: cobra;904101
you claim god speaks to you

I'm still waiting for you to present a post where I said I believe God speaks directly to me.

Kinda like you waiting for the other guy right ... :chuckle:

Reply #6389 Posted: March 16, 2009, 03:57:31 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!

Not only is there little to no independent evidence for anything more than the broadest historical details  ( i.e there were Jews, and the Romans did occupy them, that sort of level), the bible is not even internally consistent, let alone corroborated by independent records.

Jesus is a myth. it's conceivable that there was a single historical figure around that time, but the components of the Jesus story were used in many other myths from around the time and earlier. The most likely reality is that the  Jesus story of the Bible is a synthesis of a number of existing myths and legends from the time.

BTW the repeated request to check with theology professors etc is patronising. I am very knowledgeable about this area, more so than I want to be tbh, since I had it stuffed down my throat for the first 17 years of my life. It was the complete inability of theology professors, priests and other religious people to provide any sort of rational explanation for the glaring paradoxes, inaccuracies, and outright lies in the bible that got me away from mindless belief in the first place.

I appreciate you believe the statements you make, but in the absence of any sort of corroboration beyond self referential biblical quoting, you'll pardon me if I give you no more credence than I gave any other learned theologian who was unable to provide reasoned and supported answers to my quite straighforward questions.

Reply #6390 Posted: March 16, 2009, 03:58:16 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;904665
In fact, lets play a fun game - how about the 'atheists' here start providing some proof that God definitively does not exist, other than just spitting the same-ole "Christianz are fagz" rhetoric, filled with mindless speculation regurgitated from Richard Dawkins, and based around using logic to explain something which - by the admission of anyone practicing it who is honest about it - cannot be explained logically. Anyone keen?

Impossible game. Can you definitively prove that Harry Potter and Voldemort  didn't exist?

I believe that there is an alien race living on the dark side of the moon. They broadcast a ray that makes all susceptible people believe that there is a god responsible for their lives so that when they invade us they'll have a human army ready. Can you definitively prove this is not true?

Well then, as you imply that means they must be sitting up there waiting.

Tell me flea, what are the conditions under which you would consider the existence of god disproved? What could happen or bit of knowledge could there possibly be that would make you consider god disproved?

That's why science isn't interested in god, he is non falsifiable.

Your post shows a continuing ignorance of what science is about and how it functions. You come across as intelligent and Duck and others have repeatedly explained this stuff ( check the stuff on Popper that duck has posted previously.). I'm a little bewildered at your continuing  misunderstanding.

Reply #6391 Posted: March 16, 2009, 04:12:43 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
My post is really aimed at Cobra, who is making the same mistake (imo) by continuing to imply God is disproved.

Reply #6392 Posted: March 16, 2009, 04:14:44 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;904696
My post is really aimed at Cobra, who is making the same mistake (imo) by continuing to imply God is disproved.

To a lazy scientist he is :) A number of specific gods are falsifiable, just look for a claim and if it doesn't happen then scratch that one, but there's no way you can disprove the general concept of gods any more than you can disprove the concept of fairies.

I've noted before that personally I also think gods are non provable, as the need for faith is inherent in the definition. If you prove the existence of a god, they just become some super advanced entity.

In times of idle speculation I've often wondered what the response would be if some unequivocal message arrived saying " Hi I'm Tharg, I created all of you and the universe you live in as a school project. This is just a warning that the science fair finishes in 1 fnarg, at which time I'll be switching the display off and you'll all cease to exist. Don't worry, that's a billion years in your time"

Would all the religious people go "Wow god is an alien schoolkid"? I have a suspicion the answer is no,  they'd continue to cling on to whatever god concept they personally had, and god would be redefined to exclude the unfortunate student whose project got out of hand

Reply #6393 Posted: March 16, 2009, 04:27:20 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;904706
In times of idle speculation I've often wondered what the response would be if some unequivocal message arrived saying " Hi I'm Tharg, I created all of you and the universe you live in as a school project. This is just a warning that the science fair finishes in 1 fnarg, at which time I'll be switching the display off and you'll all cease to exist. Don't worry, that's a billion years in your time"

I'd start taking Class B drugs, to be honest :D

I might go back and re-read those links you mentioned - any chance you could point them out to me (or Duck, could you perhaps?)

Reply #6394 Posted: March 16, 2009, 04:46:53 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
ffs, what do you guys get paid for? Sit arount creating walls of text?

So basically what everyone, bar a couple, is saying is that religion is less scientifically accurate than science, therefore it is inferior? And since that majority so insist on viewing everything with respect to science, the couple of defenders of religion are then roped into doing the same?

WD everyone. You scientists should be well up with the circular reasoning, which I suppose is how this thread has gone on for over 200 pages.

Reply #6395 Posted: March 16, 2009, 05:22:18 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Thanks for your thoughtful and insightful post.
If you don't like it, you don't have to participate.

Some of us are actually are actually, despite the best efforts of some, trying to engage in 'dialogue'/'multilogue' because this is an interesting subject.

Hardly walls of text, unless what you are used to equates to the equivalent of a picturebook :asian:

Reply #6396 Posted: March 16, 2009, 06:18:57 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;904665

have you read any dawkins? thought not, he has several excellent books on evolution that pre-date god delusion

you can not prove things dont dont exist - burden of proof lies with people trying to prove things do exist

i have provided that prayer experiment that was a good example that prayer has no impact on sick people and there have been many posts pointing towards the magic attributed to jesus being made up

but be honest flea, you would find absolute and undeniable proof that there was no god as easy to ignore as the rest of the evidence you ignore, there are non so blind as those who will not see

but to be fair - i would be willing to try anything to experience your god, is there anything that can be done so i can "see the light"

Reply #6397 Posted: March 16, 2009, 06:19:33 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: mattnz;904754
ffs, what do you guys get paid for? Sit arount creating walls of text?

So basically what everyone, bar a couple, is saying is that religion is less scientifically accurate than science, therefore it is inferior? And since that majority so insist on viewing everything with respect to science, the couple of defenders of religion are then roped into doing the same?

WD everyone. You scientists should be well up with the circular reasoning, which I suppose is how this thread has gone on for over 200 pages.

nah - i was trying to understand how an all powerful god can fail at getting his point across - the christians are trying to argue that science is as vague as the bible

Reply #6398 Posted: March 16, 2009, 06:20:58 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;904668
By the way:

I'm still waiting for you to present a post where I said I believe God speaks directly to me.

Kinda like you waiting for the other guy right ... :chuckle:

as much fun as it was trawling through all the posts:

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;781542
..... and I heard an audible voice that I couldn't attribute to anything other than God (if you want, I'll share the whole story, even though I'm sure I already have somewhere).....

Reply #6399 Posted: March 16, 2009, 06:25:03 pm