Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

• GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...

Reply #6525 Posted: March 20, 2009, 11:01:39 am

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Lol @ the little dude surfing :rnr:

Reply #6526 Posted: March 20, 2009, 11:06:36 am
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Wholey fuckin woah's!
What and Epoch picture!

Reply #6527 Posted: March 20, 2009, 11:32:37 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!
long time reader first time poster (in this epicness anyway)

i had to lol at this

An Atheist in the woods

An atheist was walking through the woods.

"What majestic trees!"

"What powerful rivers!"

"What beautiful animals!"

He said to himself.

As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him.  He turned to look to see a 7-foot grizzly bear charging towards him.

The man ran as fast as he could up the path.  He looked over his shoulder and saw that the bear was closing in on him. He looked over his shoulder again, and the bear was even cl ose! r. He t ripped and fell on the ground.  He rolled over to pick himself up but saw that the bear was right on top of him, reaching for him with his left and raising his right paw to strike him.

At that instant the Atheist cried out, "Oh my God!"

Time Stopped.

The bear froze.

The forest was silent.

As a bright ! light s hone upon the man, a voice came out of the sky.  "You deny my existence for all these years, teach others I don't exist, and even credit creation to a
cosmic accident.  Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament?  Am I to count you as a believer?"

The atheist looked directly into the light and said, "It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Christian now, but perhaps you could make the BEAR a Christian?"

"Very Well", said the voice.

The light went out.  The sounds of the forest resumed.

And the bear dropped his right paw, brought both paws together, bowed his head &spoke:

"Lord bless this food, which I am about to receive from thy bounty through Christ our Lord, Amen."

Reply #6528 Posted: March 22, 2009, 10:32:22 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
So...

You're telling me, Christians can turn into bears?

We're fucked.

Reply #6529 Posted: March 22, 2009, 10:43:07 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: ™swindLe..;909005
So...

You're telling me, Christians can turn into bears?

We're fucked.

Not really, both are endangered species (and with good reason).

Reply #6530 Posted: March 22, 2009, 10:47:59 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
I'd like to see some serious fucken retribution rained down from above on those dicks who insist on posting massive pictures without resizing them. :finger:

Reply #6531 Posted: March 23, 2009, 06:55:43 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: cashcrew;908995
long time reader first time poster (in this epicness anyway)

i had to lol at this

An Atheist in the woods

An atheist was walking through the woods.

"What majestic trees!"

"What powerful rivers!"

"What beautiful animals!"

He said to himself.

As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him.  He turned to look to see a 7-foot grizzly bear charging towards him.

The man ran as fast as he could up the path.  He looked over his shoulder and saw that the bear was closing in on him. He looked over his shoulder again, and the bear was even cl ose! r. He t ripped and fell on the ground.  He rolled over to pick himself up but saw that the bear was right on top of him, reaching for him with his left and raising his right paw to strike him.

At that instant the Atheist cried out, "Oh my God!"

Time Stopped.

The bear froze.

The forest was silent.

As a bright ! light s hone upon the man, a voice came out of the sky.  "You deny my existence for all these years, teach others I don't exist, and even credit creation to a
cosmic accident.  Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament?  Am I to count you as a believer?"

The atheist looked directly into the light and said, "It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Christian now, but perhaps you could make the BEAR a Christian?"

"Very Well", said the voice.

The light went out.  The sounds of the forest resumed.

And the bear dropped his right paw, brought both paws together, bowed his head &spoke:

"Lord bless this food, which I am about to receive from thy bounty through Christ our Lord, Amen."

and the point of this hypothetical situation is?

Reply #6532 Posted: March 23, 2009, 08:17:28 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;909103

i think the point is that if there was a god there would be concrete evidence because the christian god is angry and petty and would kill atheists with bears

Reply #6533 Posted: March 23, 2009, 08:34:39 am

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
  • UppityDuck has no influence.

I think it's something to do with the "There's no Atheists in foxholes" scenario. It illustrates the pervasiveness of religious language in our Society. Crikey, it's damned difficult to not inadvertently use them.

lol Pyro, that was an EPOCH picture indeed!

Reply #6534 Posted: March 23, 2009, 08:51:44 am
A mere friend will agree with you, but a real friend will argue.

Russian Proverb

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.

Reply #6535 Posted: March 23, 2009, 08:55:39 am

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;909119
I think it was a joke

Yes, it was....

Reply #6536 Posted: March 23, 2009, 08:59:58 am

Russian Proverb

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Bell;909119
I think it was a joke

Quote from: UppityDuck;909123
Yes, it was....

At least someone got it ... :D

Reply #6537 Posted: March 23, 2009, 10:15:19 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Righto, so this thread has brought up many of the negative aspects of Hardcore Christianity and its past wrongs.
Anyone willing to now discuss Islam.

I read the book Infidel in the weekend ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infidel_(book) )

Which pretty was a fairly damning account of what is it like to grow up in a hardcore islamic nation/family.
This women suggests that left wing people are actually being to forgiving with some of the sects of this religion and that just saying "oh people are free to believe in whatever they want" is not a solution.

If you allow hardcore Islamic people the freedom to practise thier ideals you are condemming the majority of the women under those religions to lives of torment.

Reply #6538 Posted: March 23, 2009, 12:07:50 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Bell;909231
Righto, so this thread has brought up many of the negative aspects of Hardcore Christianity and its past wrongs.
Anyone willing to now discuss Islam.

I read the book Infidel in the weekend ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infidel_(book) )

Which pretty much a fairly damning account of what is it like to grow up in a hardcore islamic nation/family.
This women suggests that left wing people are actually being to forgiving which this religion and that just saying "oh people are free to believe in whatever they want" are making matters worse.

If you allow hardcore Islamic people the freedom to practise thier ideals you are condemming the majority of the women under those relgions to lives of torment.

Islam is little different from christianity. The major difference is political in that there is no separation of church and state in many islamic nations. History shows us pretty clearly that when Christianity got to exercise the same degree of control over populations, the outcome was much the same.

So at the core , the issue is not Islam, but the concept of nationhood, and the philosophy that national sovereignty outweighs human  abuses.

Reply #6539 Posted: March 23, 2009, 12:14:02 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!

its a joke - could you not tell by the bear's happy face?  this thread is way too serious - even the powers above whatever you may call it had a little lol.

Reply #6540 Posted: March 23, 2009, 01:01:53 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;909233
So at the core , the issue is not Islam, but the concept of nationhood, and the philosophy that national sovereignty outweighs human  abuses.

I Agree to an extent but the problem still occurs in western countries where there are large Islamic populations, Women are being beaten constantly in those countries due to islamic teachings but the state cannot prosecute/protect these women because the women are taught that complaining is un-islamic and if they run from thier husbands thier families will disown them and to these people family is everything.

How do you protect a women who thinks that her husband ( A man who in most cases was picked by her family not her ) has the islamic right to have sex with her and beat her whenever he wants?
Because of PCness noone seems perpared to say this sorta stuff is inherently wrong.

Reply #6541 Posted: March 23, 2009, 01:16:35 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Quote from: cashcrew;909268
even the powers above whatever you may call it had a little lol.

Admins?

Sometimes serious is good though! This thread seems like the place for serious!

Reply #6542 Posted: March 23, 2009, 01:29:44 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
A good idea, Duck, but it was like this:

"Why'd the chicken cross the road?
To get to the other side. Rofl"

"So what is the spiritual meaning of this comment?"

"It's a joke, dude."

... its fair to say some people could lighten up a little bit.

Reply #6543 Posted: March 23, 2009, 01:43:30 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: GhostOfGallipol;907599

Let's post a massive picture and fuck up the thread.

That Geological time spiral reminds me of this thread, except that the Geological time spiral actually went somewhere.

Reply #6544 Posted: March 23, 2009, 01:44:46 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Bell;909284
I Agree to an extent but the problem still occurs in western countries where there are large Islamic populations, Women are being beaten constantly in those countries due to islamic teachings but the state cannot prosecute/protect these women because the women are taught that complaining is un-islamic and if they run from thier husbands thier families will disown them and to these people family is everything.

How do you protect a women who thinks that her husband ( A man who in most cases was picked by her family not her ) has the islamic right to have sex with her and beat her whenever he wants?
Because of PCness noone seems perpared to say this sorta stuff is inherently wrong.

Hmm men beating women and treating wives as possession. Glad that doesn't happen in NZ.

Now I've done this before and will repeat. Can you point me to a specific case of someone defending the right of these thugs to beat their wives because of their religion?

Reply #6545 Posted: March 23, 2009, 01:47:29 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: Spacemonkey;909307
Let's post a massive picture and fuck up the thread.

That Geological time spiral reminds me of this thread, except that the Geological time spiral actually went somewhere.

lets quote a massive picture and fuck up the thread. ;)

Anyone who expects this thread to go anywhere is an idiot. It's an ongoing discussion to explore ideas. It's rare that two such fundamentally distinct world views can intersect like this. Usual spammage and inflammatory extremism, but worth sifting.

Reply #6546 Posted: March 23, 2009, 01:54:28 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;909306
A good idea, Duck, but it was like this:

"Why'd the chicken cross the road?
To get to the other side. Rofl"

"So what is the spiritual meaning of this comment?"

"It's a joke, dude."

... its fair to say some people could lighten up a little bit.

Yes, it was a joke....however, it illustrates the insidious nature of religion and tries to maintain the myth of there being no atheists in foxholes as well as the all-pervasiveness of religiously-biased language in our culture.
I find it much like a lot of the ID crowd's 'arguments'. Seemingly harmless on the surface until it undergoes critical evaluation.

Conversely, some people could 'seriousen-up' a little :rnr:

;)

Reply #6547 Posted: March 23, 2009, 02:19:42 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;909309
Hmm men beating women and treating wives as possession. Glad that doesn't happen in NZ.

Now I've done this before and will repeat. Can you point me to a specific case of someone defending the right of these thugs to beat their wives because of their religion?

By "someone" do you mean a western person, a non-western person, an islamic leader in a western country, an islamic leader in a non-western country, a western politician or a non-western politician?

Or can I pick whoever I want? cause that seems too easy :P

For instance I found this in about 30seconds

[video]iWGA8i6scYY[/video]

Reply #6548 Posted: March 23, 2009, 02:22:45 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: UppityDuck;909353
Conversely, some people could 'seriousen-up' a little :rnr:

I guess. But it's one joke in a thread of 200 pages.

Though I will say:
Religion vs Science = serious business.

:D

Reply #6549 Posted: March 23, 2009, 03:58:53 pm