Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
  • Iblis has no influence.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;913398
Quote from: Tiwaking!;913394
The greatest achievement is selflessness.
The greatest worth is self-mastery.
The greatest quality is seeking to serve others.
The greatest precept is continual awareness.
The greatest medicine is the emptiness of everything.
The greatest action is not conforming with the worlds ways.
The greatest magic is transmuting the passions.
The greatest generosity is non-attachment.
The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.
The greatest patience is humility.
The greatest effort is not concerned with results.
The greatest meditation is a mind that lets go.
The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances.

Atisha (11th century Tibetan Buddhist master)

A worthy personal code

Ideological fluff. It's all psychobabble designed to speak to species-preservation instinct hardwired into us for dealing with large scale trauma.
Guess what organisation looks for these qualities:

Commitment(Selflessness)
Maturity
Sacrifice
Listening
Patience
Tranquility and "Unflappability"
Intelligence and Insight
Caution and Prudence
Truthfulness and Counsel
Ability to Observe and Analyze
Ability to Act

Reply #6625 Posted: March 29, 2009, 07:52:12 pm

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
Quote from: Iblis;913435

Commitment(Selflessness)
Maturity
Sacrifice
Listening
Patience
Intelligence and Insight
Caution and Prudence
Truthfulness and Counsel
Ability to Act

Hint:

Reply #6626 Posted: March 29, 2009, 07:58:11 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Iblis;913437
Hint:

That's not a hint.

That's a smack on the back of the head.

Reply #6627 Posted: March 29, 2009, 09:15:07 pm

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
Quote from: Zarkov;913492
That's not a hint.

That's a smack on the back of the head.

You have to deal in rhetoric sometimes. Also, I ripped those straight from the Al-Qaeda training manual right he... online.

Reply #6628 Posted: March 29, 2009, 09:26:45 pm

Offline WhiteRabbit

• Just settled in
  • WhiteRabbit has no influence.
Quote from: Iblis;913437
Hint:

Goldman Sachs ?

Reply #6629 Posted: March 29, 2009, 09:29:50 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Quote from: Iblis;913499
You have to deal in rhetoric sometimes. Also, I ripped those straight from the Al-Qaeda training manual right he... online.

My guess was gonna be your wife's NZ Dating profile. http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2854/shiftyg.gif
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #6630 Posted: March 29, 2009, 09:41:49 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: WhiteRabbit;913502
Goldman Sachs ?

Urrr. I think Goldman Sachs fail on the
Truthfulness and Counsel

Criteria

Reply #6631 Posted: March 29, 2009, 09:45:06 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Iblis;913435
Ideological fluff. It's all psychobabble designed to speak to species-preservation instinct hardwired into us for dealing with large scale trauma.

Commitment(Selflessness)
Maturity
Sacrifice
Listening
Patience
Intelligence and Insight
Caution and Prudence
Truthfulness and Counsel
Ability to Act

All personal codes are ideological fluff. It takes the individual applying them to give them meaning. I personally don't buy into about half of the ones I responded to, but there are several there that are useful perspectives. I can easily visualise someone living a rewarding and happy life by adhering to them.

A big chunk of my personal moral code is indistinguishable from much of christian and other religious teaching. That doesn't make me religious.

BTW you could list numerous schools of thought that meet the list you made.

Reply #6632 Posted: March 29, 2009, 11:34:15 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;913555
BTW you could list numerous schools of thought that meet the list you made.
Indeed. I was discussing it with some other people and I bet using synonyms it's only a step away from anything like the Girl Scout charter all the way to a revolutionary guerrilla group manifesto.

The idea behind me using the Al-Qaeda training manual to illustrate my point is that almost all religions claim exclusive insight into human virtue, using superlative abstracts to inflate an artificial mysticism to captivate people's attention. They do this to hook into people's natural instinct to improve their own social consciousness in the interest of improving the conditions for the future of their species. Yet it is essentially neurolinguistic programming; it's true mechanism being obscenely transparent, and it ends up having no more divine providence than the astrology column in your newspaper does. The people read it, few even make a sliver of effort to achieve such a high standard, yet everyone identifies with it.

Reply #6633 Posted: March 30, 2009, 12:45:26 am

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
BTW, if anyone is thinking it, I refuse to let this thread die until it is either locked, I become worm food, or every person who has posted in this thread to argue that some kind of intervening supernatural landlord does exist shows their cards to be a bluff. I'm not just an atheist; I'm an incredibly stubborn antitheist, and despite the fact that I will no doubt eventually be referred to as hypocritically righteous or driven by an ideology that I put my "faith" in, I do not rest until the defenders of religion can produce a basis for the legitimacy of religion without separating it from its historical absurdity or its contradicting nature with itself. Every pro-religious argument I've ever seen gets reduced to the individual's need to slather existence with the compulsive human desire to project its own image and perspective into the explanation for everything. We still haven't collectively reached the intellectual marker where we can understand things are just how they are, and that our self-awareness is just an amusing byproduct of our evolutionary ability to analyse and anticipate our environment based on pattern recognition.

Reply #6634 Posted: March 30, 2009, 01:31:00 am

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.

Reply #6635 Posted: March 30, 2009, 03:13:41 am
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Iblis;913584
Indeed. I was discussing it with some other people and I bet using synonyms it's only a step away from anything like the Girl Scout charter all the way to a revolutionary guerrilla group manifesto.

The idea behind me using the Al-Qaeda training manual to illustrate my point is that almost all religions claim exclusive insight into human virtue, using superlative abstracts to inflate an artificial mysticism to captivate people's attention. They do this to hook into people's natural instinct to improve their own social consciousness in the interest of improving the conditions for the future of their species. Yet it is essentially neurolinguistic programming; it's true mechanism being obscenely transparent, and it ends up having no more divine providence than the astrology column in your newspaper does. The people read it, few even make a sliver of effort to achieve such a high standard, yet everyone identifies with it.

Ahh. I see your problem. I don't regard the varying belief systems etc to be exclusive or incompatible. They're all the outcome of human thought on morals and ethics and so provide a useful resource. That's part of the reason  that a study of religions is so useful, not as part of a search for some mythical "truth", but as an insight into millenia of human thinking on ethics and social codes.

BTW you use "linguistic programming" as if its somehow a trivial or banal process, yet language is at the very heart of sentience. Self programming is, IMO anyway, a worthy pursuit.

BTW I love how you describe self awareness as an amusing byproduct of evolution. I'd regard it as a glorious byproduct, one which is possibly unique in the universe.

Sentience, and the process of it arising through evolution, doesn't qualify for the use of the words like merely, especially when used in contrast to the quite unimaginative and petty gods we invent with it.

Reply #6636 Posted: March 30, 2009, 05:24:41 am

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
Quote from: mattnz;913602
You're self righteous

Probably. Prone to human fallibility myself, I think I can at least say that I'm among the most educated of the self-righteous and don't back up my claims with fairy tales passed down like family heirlooms.

Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;913607
Ahh. I see your problem. I don't regard the varying belief systems etc to be exclusive or incompatible. They're all the outcome of human thought on morals and ethics and so provide a useful resource. That's part of the reason  that a study of religions is so useful, not as part of a search for some mythical "truth", but as an insight into millenia of human thinking on ethics and social codes.

I'd agree, but I'd say learning from the mistakes is far more progressive than learning from empty claims. For example, slavery is condoned in the bible, even in the new testament.

BTW you use "linguistic programming" as if its somehow a trivial or banal process, yet language is at the very heart of sentience. Self programming is, IMO anyway, a worthy pursuit.

It is insidious when it is used to control a layman, which is what a lot of religions do in my opinion.

BTW I love how you describe self awareness as an amusing byproduct of evolution. I'd regard it as a glorious byproduct, one which is possibly unique in the universe.

Sentience, and the process of it arising through evolution, doesn't qualify for the use of the words like merely, especially when used in contrast to the quite unimaginative and petty gods we invent with it.

I don't disagree here. I chose the word 'amusing' because it provides as much grief through our rampant imaginations and gullibility as also it is a fantastic gift which I am grateful to have and use for my own pursuits.

Reply #6637 Posted: March 30, 2009, 05:52:42 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
<3 Iblis

Im really enjoying reading your posts dood.

Reply #6638 Posted: March 30, 2009, 06:32:07 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.

There is evidence that along with us and some apes, Dolphins and Elephants are self-aware.

Reply #6639 Posted: March 30, 2009, 07:28:06 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Bell;914067
There is evidence that along with us and some apes, Dolphins and Elephants are self-aware.

humans are apes

Reply #6640 Posted: March 30, 2009, 07:51:40 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: cobra;914078
humans are apes

*facepalm

In this thread? Really? Come on man you should know better...

Reply #6641 Posted: March 30, 2009, 07:53:19 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Wouldn't it be grand if they could gain language and join us.

Reply #6642 Posted: March 30, 2009, 08:16:53 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;914097
Wouldn't it be grand if they could gain language and join us.

Playing poker with a dolphin would be weird.

Reply #6643 Posted: March 30, 2009, 08:27:26 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: Arnifix;914102
Playing poker with a dolphin would be weird.

Note to self: Buy plastic cards

Reply #6644 Posted: March 30, 2009, 10:06:01 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.

Anyone who doubts most higher level animals are self aware has either never owned a dog, or lacks the insight to observe it.

Reply #6645 Posted: March 30, 2009, 10:27:38 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
[video]qO9IPoAdct8[/video]

Dramatic readings of Christian posts on message boards.

Reply #6646 Posted: March 31, 2009, 07:50:16 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline darkFOX

• Just settled in
  • darkFOX has no influence.
... Is this thread glitching for anyone else?

Reply #6647 Posted: March 31, 2009, 08:02:52 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Quote from: Zarathrustra;914151
Anyone who doubts most higher level animals are self aware has either never owned a dog, or lacks the insight to observe it.

Dog? I'm far from convinced.

Reply #6648 Posted: March 31, 2009, 09:10:59 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;914734
Dog? I'm far from convinced.

Zara is dyslexic.

It sometimes confuses things.

Reply #6649 Posted: March 31, 2009, 09:43:56 pm