Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Arnifix;914684

Dramatic readings of Christian posts on message boards.

hahah gold

Reply #6650 Posted: March 31, 2009, 09:44:31 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
What do the the faithful here think of governments where religion is involved in the running of the country?

What are your views on this issue and religion

Reply #6651 Posted: April 09, 2009, 12:02:42 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: nick247;919344
What do the the faithful here think of governments where religion is involved in the running of the country?

Completely against.

Separation of church and state is key to ensuring a country is run without emotion factoring into things. At the end of the day, the country should be run in the best interests of all the people - not all the people are religious/faith-following people, hence the country should reflect that.

That said, the government and the law should always maintain a state where people are free to believe what they want (like in NZ).

Reply #6652 Posted: April 09, 2009, 01:56:19 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;919395
Completely against.

Separation of church and state is key to ensuring a country is run without emotion factoring into things. At the end of the day, the country should be run in the best interests of all the people - not all the people are religious/faith-following people, hence the country should reflect that.

That said, the government and the law should always maintain a state where people are free to believe what they want (like in NZ).

so you would also support getting rid of religious holidays? - it bugs me that i wont be able to buy things tomorrow because of other peoples silly superstitions

Reply #6653 Posted: April 09, 2009, 03:57:52 pm

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
  • Iblis has no influence.
Quote from: cobra;919454
so you would also support getting rid of religious holidays? - it bugs me that i wont be able to buy things tomorrow because of other peoples silly superstitions

Which one? The Easter Bunny or the Bastard Jewish Zombie?

Reply #6654 Posted: April 09, 2009, 05:55:02 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Iblis;919487
Which one? The Easter Bunny or the Bastard Jewish Zombie?

keep the bunny ditch the zombie. at least the bunny have something positive to offer without any strings attached

Reply #6655 Posted: April 09, 2009, 08:42:32 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;919454

I think the holidays should be kept, but businesses should be allowed to decide themselves whether to trade or not. You're right; its a pain in the friggin arse that I can't buy a steak for dinner on Good Friday. That said, I think that if the holiday stays, then businesses should be allowed to decide if they wish to observe the holiday (to avoid breaching contract on any of those annoying clauses like "you must operate this many hours per week" etc).

*completely serious post, btw

Reply #6656 Posted: April 09, 2009, 11:47:52 pm

Offline Cake

• Just settled in
  • Cake has no influence.
Remember those days when you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays!?  It^ will change in time.

Reply #6657 Posted: April 09, 2009, 11:52:46 pm
chocolate carrot

:Shifty:

Offline Cake

• Just settled in
  • Cake has no influence.
Remember those days when you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays!?  It^ will change in time.

Reply #6658 Posted: April 10, 2009, 01:43:35 am
chocolate carrot

:Shifty:

Offline TeamWang

• Just settled in
  • TeamWang has no influence.
You mean when the Christians irrational war on evolution is over and we all have no choice but to believe that our one true source of happiness is his love, and our lord, Jesus Christ?

Reply #6659 Posted: April 10, 2009, 01:55:27 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;919613
I think the holidays should be kept, but businesses should be allowed to decide themselves whether to trade or not. You're right; its a pain in the friggin arse that I can't buy a steak for dinner on Good Friday. That said, I think that if the holiday stays, then businesses should be allowed to decide if they wish to observe the holiday (to avoid breaching contract on any of those annoying clauses like "you must operate this many hours per week" etc).

I think a few public holidays when everyone has the day off each year are a great idea.  I don't think businesses should be prevented from opening, but I do think they should be required to pay staff significantly higher wages. If that makes it unprofitable then they can stay closed.

Easter, Xmas etc have no religious significance for me, but they are still very important times to me, Xmas in particular. I don't need to have an imaginary friend to have special days, when friends and family are all free to get together and remember that there is more to life than commerce

Reply #6660 Posted: April 10, 2009, 03:01:53 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
All you need for a special day is a hip flask of strong liquor and a transient hobo, Woohoo.

Reply #6661 Posted: April 10, 2009, 11:33:03 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;919613

Christian Apologist to the rescue. Let's see, we keep the holiday, despite the fact that it is christian-based and barely observed, yet allow businesses to operate on said holiday under their own choosing, completely negating the  entire purpose for the holiday in the first place. If you're alluding to workers' rights for mandatory holidays(which you didn't make clear), revamp the entire system, scrap the christian denominated holidays, and democratically supplant them with chosen dates and operational limitations.

Reply #6662 Posted: April 10, 2009, 06:37:07 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Arnifix;919737
All you need for a special day is a hip flask of strong liquor and a transient hobo, Woohoo.

Oh dear.

It turns out that I AM the transient hobo. I drank the strong liquor which is effectively dividing by zero and I'm disappearing up my own ar....

Reply #6663 Posted: April 10, 2009, 06:47:05 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Iblis;919907
Christian Apologist to the rescue. Let's see, we keep the holiday, despite the fact that it is christian-based and barely observed, yet allow businesses to operate on said holiday under their own choosing, completely negating the  entire purpose for the holiday in the first place. If you're alluding to workers' rights for mandatory holidays(which you didn't make clear), revamp the entire system, scrap the christian denominated holidays, and democratically supplant them with chosen dates and operational limitations.

So you're saying:
Instead of having optional holidays that mean something to at least some people, just have mandatory holidays that mean nothing to anyone?

You know, in India, the holiday of Ramadam (sic) is celebrated by almost everyone, yet business carries on as usual to accomodate tourists and the few locals who do not celebrate Ramadam, under pretty much the same optional method. I say, give shopkeepers and staff the option - if a business owner wants to open for the holiday, he has to staff it only with those people who are happy to, and have optionally chosen to, work the holiday; if he wants to observe the holiday, go him.

And if you want more pointless days off, quit your job :P haha

Reply #6664 Posted: April 10, 2009, 11:28:23 pm

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

• GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...
and what if your boss is a prick?

it's one weekend, i'm not religious, i dont care that easter comemerates the first jewish zombie, i just appreciate not have to work the weekend

Reply #6665 Posted: April 10, 2009, 11:34:47 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;920011
So you're saying:
Instead of having optional holidays that mean something to at least some people, just have mandatory holidays that mean nothing to anyone?

No, he said supplant them with days democratically chosen, implying that they would mean something to most people.
I'm assuming, that if it was chosen, religious holidays may retain their status. But here's me confused, didn't we already democratically select those?

Reply #6666 Posted: April 10, 2009, 11:42:40 pm

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
So you're saying:
Time off means a lot to people. I've watched people getting cabin fever all this week.

You know, in India, the holiday of Ramadam (sic) is celebrated by almost everyone, yet business carries on as usual to accomodate tourists and the few locals who do not celebrate Ramadam, under pretty much the same optional method.
I've been in Turkey during Ramadan. Business carries on as normal not to "accommodate the tourists", but because not working on a religious holiday is more of a Judeo-Christian conception. Should Ramadan be a holiday in NZ? We have a growing muslim population. Or do you want only your christian holidays to be official?

I say, give shopkeepers and staff the option - if a business owner wants to open for the holiday, he has to staff it only with those people who are happy to, and have optionally chosen to, work the holiday; if he wants to observe the holiday, go him.
And if you want more pointless days off, quit your job :P haha
Looks like you answered it for me. Employees should not get religious holidays off. If they don't want to work, they can quit. Should I choose a religion so I can get a day off work?

Reply #6667 Posted: April 11, 2009, 01:08:07 am

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/bunnyjesus2.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #6668 Posted: April 11, 2009, 08:11:19 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
haha my sister was talking to me about this jesus/church thing she wants to do to save kids who get abducted and taken into slavery.

I sighed and said "sounds like africa"

she said "it's uganda actually"

I am however at this point going to admit that youthgroup has been really good for her, sure she believes in the whole god thing but at the end of the day she's in a safe enviroment with lots of friends and she wants to grow up to be a youth worker and already helps heaps in the community.

I'll up date you in 20 years....

Reply #6669 Posted: April 11, 2009, 08:24:40 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
I went to see if they'd sell me a beer at the pub yesterday afternoon, being open and all...  They told me I had to buy a meal for them to be able to serve me alcohol on "Good Friday".

Fucking RIDICULOUS archaic laws.

Reply #6670 Posted: April 11, 2009, 08:33:19 am

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
  • UppityDuck has no influence.
Quote from: GhostOfGallipol;920012
i dont care that easter comemerates the first jewish zombie

There were other  Jewish 'zombies' before the one that these holidays commemorate, but you're probably too busy fighting the forces of evil to bother checking that out.

Reply #6671 Posted: April 11, 2009, 09:24:35 am
A mere friend will agree with you, but a real friend will argue.

Russian Proverb

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: UppityDuck;920056
There were other  Jewish 'zombies' before the one that these holidays commemorate, but you're probably too busy fighting the forces of evil to bother checking that out.

I thought Lazarus was first!

Reply #6672 Posted: April 11, 2009, 09:37:37 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Iblis;920027
Should Ramadan be a holiday in NZ? We have a growing muslim population. Or do you want only your christian holidays to be official?

the wost thing NZ could possibly do is acknowledge islam for anything

Reply #6673 Posted: April 11, 2009, 09:49:03 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Zarathrustra;920053
I went to see if they'd sell me a beer at the pub yesterday afternoon, being open and all...  They told me I had to buy a meal for them to be able to serve me alcohol on "Good Friday".

Fucking RIDICULOUS archaic laws.

Bro, they offered to sell you food. I couldn't even get that.

Reply #6674 Posted: April 11, 2009, 09:50:30 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.