Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: KiLL3r;993011
only way i can see humans surviving longer than the dinosaurs is intergalactic travel. This world simply cannot sustain us for that long.

I think we're probably see humans landing on mars in our lifetime.

It won't be easy, but once humans have spread out to a few planets, it will have become exponentially more difficult for all of us to be destroyed by one cataclysmic event.

Reply #7000 Posted: October 01, 2009, 08:19:19 am

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;993415
I think we're probably see humans landing on mars in our lifetime.

It won't be easy, but once humans have spread out to a few planets, it will have become exponentially more difficult for all of us to be destroyed by one cataclysmic event.

big difference between landing on mars and colonizing it

Reply #7001 Posted: October 01, 2009, 08:24:49 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
They would have to be self sufficient colonies too, remember. Otherwise when Earth pops like a balloon full of farts the colonies slowly wither and die.

Reply #7002 Posted: October 01, 2009, 08:27:57 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Arnifix;993420
They would have to be self sufficient colonies too, remember. Otherwise when Earth pops like a balloon full of farts the colonies slowly wither and die.

They'll have to be somewhat self sufficient to begin with. A round trip to Mars takes around 3 years, with half that on the planet itself.

Short of taking everything with them, they'll have to develop technologies to make use of the natural resources on Mars. Which include water ice and carbon dioxide, two of the ingredients plants require to grow.

Reply #7003 Posted: October 07, 2009, 09:48:51 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;992848
What makes you say that? Why do so many people believe the worlds going to end so soon.

Humans are far more adaptable then dinosaurs were.

Take a good look at a chicken and then say that.

Reply #7004 Posted: October 07, 2009, 04:42:56 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
^ lol Z  _b

Quote from: Spacemonkey;996922
They'll have to be somewhat self sufficient to begin with. A round trip to Mars takes around 3 years, with half that on the planet itself.

Try 39 days (80-odd days round trip) 0.o

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/Ngati_Grim/adastravasimr.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Plasma Rocket Could Travel to Mars in 39 Days

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/Ngati_Grim/5i756utrf.jpg

Reply #7005 Posted: October 07, 2009, 04:50:51 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline nzr_hotsexgary

• Just settled in
  • nzr_hotsexgary has no influence.
Quote from: Scunner;992763
inb4cobrasaysreligiouspropagandaoragenda

My uneducated opinion would be because the Devil is not supposed to be nice at all. So while he might encourage you into acts agaisnt the curches wishes while you are on earth, he'll then be the evil dick that he is and enjoy punishing you for it when you get to hell.

^^ Summary of every religion, except replace the words "my uneducated opinion" with "god says"

Reply #7006 Posted: November 16, 2009, 08:01:07 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
You know how i know god doesn't exist?

No dedis in mw2.

Reply #7007 Posted: November 16, 2009, 08:07:35 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline liquidpain

• Devoted Member
  • liquidpain has no influence.
Quote from: Zarkov;997237
Take a good look at a chicken and then say that.

Please inform me about the chicken. I like chickens.

Reply #7008 Posted: November 16, 2009, 08:17:28 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: swindLe..;1020396
You know how i know god doesn't exist?

No dedis in mw2.

I thought that would be proof that he does exist

Reply #7009 Posted: November 17, 2009, 02:01:02 am
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: liquidpain;1020401
Please inform me about the chicken. I like chickens.

Chickens are highly evolved velociraptors, except for their brains which are  the size of a pea and stuck somewhere in the jurassic period.

A bit like bobziolla really.

Reply #7010 Posted: November 17, 2009, 05:41:11 pm

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
much like dolphins whom around the same time evolved from a land mammal with legs (they still have remnant legs inside their bodies, as do snakes)

Reply #7011 Posted: November 17, 2009, 05:52:55 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
....except that Cetaceans evolved from the Paleocene which was after Dinosaurs became extinct.

Reply #7012 Posted: November 17, 2009, 06:02:05 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

Quote from: Nostargate;1020973
much like dolphins whom around the same time evolved from a land mammal with legs (they still have remnant legs inside their bodies, as do snakes)

No.

Nothing like that at all.

Reply #7013 Posted: November 17, 2009, 06:27:12 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!

Reply #7014 Posted: November 17, 2009, 06:55:37 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted

Reply #7015 Posted: November 17, 2009, 06:57:58 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1021047
Evolution of a neutron star

Go Science :rnr:

The most fascinating thing about neutron stars is the fact that they are abit of a misnomer because they are no longer stars, they are inert (dead) stellar masses. They also represent one of three final stages of a stars life cycle, the other two being a black dwarf and a black hole.

The neutron star is only kept 'afloat' (alive) because of neutron degeneracy pressure (boring stuff follows)
Spoiler :
The normal internal pressure exerted by gases and light requires a tremendous amount of energy to maintain given the size of the stellar object and the gravity it exerts. Once all the fuel is used up, gravity starts to cause the object to contract.

However: Given that the quantum state of an object (notably fermions) can only exist in so many states in a volume, this means that the star will reach a point where free electrons fulfill ALL available states preventing gravity from contracting AND the loss of mass. This is known as electron degeneracy pressure.

But even this state has a limit, so if the star is large enough, it will attempt to contract even further causing protons (two up quarks, one down quark) and electrons to fuse to neutrons (one up quark, one down quark). Since neutrons are fermions (have a half-integer spin) this means that they can essentially compact to less space.

Because neutrons also have a much shorter wavelength (statistically speaking, the quantum existence of a particle is equivalent to its energy ergo its wavelength) the ratio at which neutrons can be compacted roughly equates to about 1/2000 times the space required by electron degeneracy pressure. (Mass of Neutron / Mass of Electron)

Reply #7016 Posted: November 17, 2009, 09:25:13 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/Ngati_Grim/455026a5bfbd.jpg

Reply #7017 Posted: November 18, 2009, 07:16:44 pm

Offline huey31415

• Just settled in
  • huey31415 has no influence.
Just to repeat something I spoke to cobra about in private, the Vatican is not against evolution and has even spoken against groups that oppose it. Saint Thomas Aquinas had even alluded to it hundreds of years beforehand. Read these:

http://scienticity.net/wiki/Evolution_and_the_Vatican

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2009/10/the_latest_on_evolution_from_t.php

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,424942,00.html

Reply #7018 Posted: November 20, 2009, 09:39:23 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Reply #7019 Posted: November 20, 2009, 09:40:43 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: huey31415;1022752
Just to repeat something I spoke to cobra about in private, the Vatican is not against evolution and has even spoken against groups that oppose it. Saint Thomas Aquinas had even alluded to it hundreds of years beforehand. Read these:

Schoenborn has said he wants to correct what he says is a widespread misconception that the Catholic Church has given blanket endorsement to Darwin's theories.

Comprehension problems?

They may accept parts of it,somewhat akin to the curate's Egg, but wholesale Evolution without a Creator is NOT accepted without certain clauses that evolution doesn't require.

Funnily enough, I just bought two books today:

"The New Atheism: Taking a stand for Science and Reason". by Victor J.Stenger.  

"The Greatest Show on Earth: The evidence for Evolution" by Richard Dawkins.

I've read "The Bible".
Will you read these?

Reply #7020 Posted: November 20, 2009, 09:57:58 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1022766

Comprehension problems?

They may accept parts of it,somewhat akin to the curate's Egg, but wholesale Evolution without a Creator is NOT accepted without certain clauses that evolution doesn't require.

Funnily enough, I just bought two books today:

"The New Atheism: Taking a stand for Science and Reason". by Victor J.Stenger.  

"The Greatest Show on Earth: The evidence for Evolution" by Richard Dawkins.

I've read "The Bible".
Will you read these?

It is not enough to "read" "The Bible" - if your brain hasn't melted from the sheer awesomeness of the Word of God then you are reading it wrong.

Reply #7021 Posted: November 20, 2009, 10:30:48 pm
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
True enough.

These days it's the word of Dog.

Did you hear about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac who was up all night wondering if there really was a dog?

Reply #7022 Posted: November 20, 2009, 10:35:25 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Spoonguard;1022808
It is not enough to "read" "The Bible" - if your brain hasn't melted from the sheer awesomeness of the Word of God then you are reading it wrong.

i always thought that your brain needed to be melted before you read the bible for you to be taken in by "the sheer awesomeness of the Word of god"

Reply #7023 Posted: November 20, 2009, 10:54:18 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted

Reply #7024 Posted: November 20, 2009, 11:41:37 pm