Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Stormwater drain sounds like a load of BS to me.

The church wants that space for an extra carpark, who knows how much that one extra person will put in the collection box!

Reply #7275 Posted: June 20, 2010, 10:55:11 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3832919/Church-takes-mans-life-savings

So kind that the church was visiting this man, until they took all his money, now they don't visit as much. must be a coincidence

Reply #7276 Posted: June 21, 2010, 10:43:32 pm

Offline AintNoMeInTeam

• Devoted Member
  • AintNoMeInTeam has no influence.
Quote from: cobra;1280754

So kind that the church was visiting this man, until they took all his money, now they don't visit as much. must be a coincidence

That pissed me off. Someone needs to give that bastard an ass kicking and get the money back.

Reply #7277 Posted: June 21, 2010, 11:13:05 pm
Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes...there\'s too much fraternizing with the enemy.
-Henry Kissinger

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
That is absolutely fucking out of order. I saw that on the front page of the paper yesterday but was to cheap to buy it.

I hope those pricks burn in their hell for what they have done.

You would think that someone would become his legal guardian and look after his finances since he had a head injury.

The picture of the pastor makes him look like a smarmy prick

Reply #7278 Posted: June 22, 2010, 04:58:41 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: AintNoMeInTeam;1280764
Quote from: cobra;1280754

That pissed me off. Someone needs to give that bastard an ass kicking and get the money back.

ThaFleastyler approves of this message.

Reply #7279 Posted: June 22, 2010, 08:06:36 am

Offline AintNoMeInTeam

• Devoted Member
  • AintNoMeInTeam has no influence.
I was going to say that someone needs to burn that church to to ground, but then i realised how many more people they would have to ripoff to rebuild it...

Reply #7280 Posted: June 22, 2010, 10:18:57 am
Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes...there\'s too much fraternizing with the enemy.
-Henry Kissinger

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
Seems they have had a change of heart, or at least found theirs

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2010/06/23/12480a7f56cb

but still I thought it appropriate to email them,

To Whom it may Concern,
                 I was absolutely appalled to read of how you have taken a mans life savings. A man with head injuries no less.
I realise it is a time honoured practise for the church to take money off the sick or dying, so they can attempt to buy their way into “heaven”, and am happy that this story has come to light and brought much shame and ridicule on your church.
Whoever thought that was a Christian thing to do should hang his/ her head in shame.
Shame, Shame Shame on you.
Hell has a special place for people like you.
Yours in deep anger

Stephen Edwards

Reply #7281 Posted: June 23, 2010, 01:09:03 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
I received this reply....

Ps Bruce Collingwood of The Oasis Elim church (Napier), has today returned the money that had been recorded as given by Mr Abraham over the last 2 years. Mr Abraham may have donated more funds in cash amounts, but did not identify himself as the giver, so there is no way for the church to identify this.
While we are obviously not at liberty to discuss the financial situation or dealings of any member of our churches, we can say that Mr Abraham is a long standing and dedicated member of the church in Napier. Like any member of our churches, any tithe or donation that is given is entirely their choice. It appears that Mr Abraham may have given away more than he should have, given his circumstances. The church had queried with Mr Abraham about his giving and he was adamant that he wanted to give the funds to the church. The funds returned today have been done so as an act of good will. We are unsure if this is Mr Abraham’s desire. Contrary to media reports the money was never taken from Mr Abraham, it was given by him to the church.
As a denomination The Elim Church of New Zealand believes in the principal of tithing and while we encourage our people to do so, we place no pressure on people to give. We do not control or dictate to our congregations how they choose to spend their money. At no time was Mr Abraham approached with a request to give money to the church, any giving was entirely voluntary.
Ps Bruce Collingwood and his dedicated team at Napier Elim do great work serving in their local community. This has been an unfortunate situation where donations have been given
and received in good faith. The Elim Church of NZ stands by Ps Bruce Collingwood and his church.
- ENDS-

My reply was they should have listened to the nurse in the first place and I wonder how many more cases like this have not been reported.

Still at least they saw the "light" in this instance

Reply #7282 Posted: June 23, 2010, 11:39:47 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1281499
My reply was they should have listened to the nurse in the first place and I wonder how many more cases like this have not been reported.

Still at least they saw the "light" in this instance

The only light they saw was the media attention. The very fact they didn't give it back when the nurse (who knew his condition, and would of explained it) asked, shows they had no intention of giving it back, until the media coverage made them look bad.

Reply #7283 Posted: June 24, 2010, 12:00:56 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
I just hope they start visiting him again without the motive of money

Reply #7284 Posted: June 24, 2010, 12:19:36 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
Just got another reply " Don't believe everything you read"

I told him that was rich coming from a believer in the bible.

This is getting fun, I wonder what his reply to that will be

Reply #7285 Posted: June 24, 2010, 10:57:09 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
a few of you might have picked that i am normally apposed to organised religion and the hatred it promotes but finally one church is ballsy enough to get it right:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/836880--revised-vatican-law-labels-sex-abuse-female-priests-as-crimes

giving equality to woman is a step to far and without a doubt equivalent to child abuse - nice work religion

Reply #7286 Posted: July 18, 2010, 09:50:29 pm

Offline AfroDizzzy

• Addicted
  • AfroDizzzy has no influence.
clearly in gods eyes women must be less than me!
well at least the Vatican thinks so

Reply #7287 Posted: July 18, 2010, 10:13:58 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Well, this is progress for you:

http://www.cirp.org/news/haaretz03-04-05/

U.S. rabbis approve using tube to remove circumcision blood

NEW YORK - Rabbis should use a tube to suck blood from circumcision wounds rather than sucking directly with their mouths to protect infants and rabbis from disease, the leading Orthodox rabbinical group said yesterday. In a traditional Orthodox practice during the brit, or circumcision ritual of baby boys, rabbis have been using their mouths to suck blood from the penis wounds and surrounding tissue for thousands of years.

Crikey dick!

Hmmm...human sacrifice was around for thousands of years but has all but disappe.....Hang on! Look at all the wars at the moment....

Reply #7288 Posted: August 31, 2010, 01:29:05 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!

Reply #7289 Posted: August 31, 2010, 04:33:09 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
I did find this quite funny....a comment from the link above.

"The only person more psychologically unhinged than somebody who believes in a mythological invisible prehistoric superhero, is someone who believes in a mythological invisible prehistoric superhero that takes orders..."

Reply #7290 Posted: September 01, 2010, 10:03:32 am
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
[video]qCzbNkyXO50[/video]

Reply #7291 Posted: September 02, 2010, 07:59:46 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm

Listed are only events that solely occurred on command of church authorities or were committed in the name of Christianity. (List incomplete)

http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

Ah, the religion of peace!

Reply #7292 Posted: September 03, 2010, 01:55:01 pm

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.
i think people misunderstand why people give money to the church. and people also misunderstand why they themselves give money to the church.

not talkigna bout catholics, anglican, mormon churches here.... those so called churches... yer i don't agree with :/

its not just a matter of sacrificing, its also... an offering to God. it helps pay for the bills at the church. it helps to support people who come to the church for help. for youth programs. for new stuff for the church like band equipment, av equipment etc.

Tithing is in no way supposed to be used for person benefit. If there is money being given and its not needed yet, it should be sitting in an account, saved.

When Christians give money to their church. They should ahve it as a offering to GOD. and no one else.  for instance, i give money to GOD through my church as a thank you for getting income over the weekend. for having a roof over my head etc.  

you guys will obviously think this is silly but hey~~ im greatful. With this money, church bought a projector so the worship songs and slideshows are displayed up high so everyone can see it. Pays for the rental of the room. paid for more mics so the woship team can sing through the pa.

What is not used for is, buying cars and material possessions, supportign the pastor

If someone gives to get rich. they wont. their heart is not in the right place.
if someone gives because they feel they are obligated, its worth nothing. their heart is not in the right place.
if someone gives because they are worried what other people will think, its worth nothing. their heart is not in the right place.

i was angry about the napier church to. but its like with everything else. you can only know so much from the reporting.

and as for believing everyting you read. meh its up to everyoen to make up their own minds about things.

if i read teh news about krasher going to the moon. or ngati grim winning the gold medal in archery. i'd read a couple of other sources to check whether or not its real.

remember with religion, there is faith involved.  

Athiests don't believe because they feel its stupid and mindless. and they dont see physical proof of a GOD existing, they see jsut anguish and hurt resulting from religion.

Christians believe that faith in Jesus Christ who died on the cross for everyones sins, past, present, and future is the way to GOD.

no money can buy your way into heaven. no good works. nothing but faith in Jesus Christ :D

time for bed. work starts early tomorow =___+ and i been playign to much bc2!!

Reply #7293 Posted: September 04, 2010, 01:47:24 am
( •_•)>⌐

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Who_ate_my_rice;1305759
Athiests don't believe because they feel its stupid and mindless. and they dont see physical proof of a GOD existing, they see jsut anguish and hurt resulting from religion.

i think most atheists dont believe because there is no reason to believe - like how most people dont believe in leprechauns, santa, tooth fairy etc

if there was a god then there would not be any atheists - there would be evidence and so god would just be accepted

Reply #7294 Posted: September 04, 2010, 09:38:41 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;1306084
if there was a god then there would not be any atheists - there would be evidence and so god would just be accepted

Well given we seem to always find more 'evidence' changing our scientific opinions, you can't really say that.

Not to mention if there was a all powerful god, surely he/she would be capable of hiding his existence :P

Reply #7295 Posted: September 04, 2010, 09:54:13 pm

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...

Just a question, do you believe that there is another sentient life form that exists on any other planet in the Universe? If so, what evidence do you have?

And if you have no evidence, than surely that means humans are the only sentient life form in the Universe.

Reply #7296 Posted: September 05, 2010, 03:45:07 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Scunner;1306154

Just a question, do you believe that there is another sentient life form that exists on any other planet in the Universe? If so, what evidence do you have?

And if you have no evidence, than surely that means humans are the only sentient life form in the Universe.

i am agnostic on sentient life - there is no evidence but there is no reason for there to be evidence

i dont believe in alien life that interacts with humans - there is no evidence and there is reason for there to be evidence

the god these people are talking about apparently grants wishes and shit - there would be evidence of this space magic

if you are arguing that there might be this irrelevant god that doesn't have an impact on anything, then hey, there might be, but you are talking about a god which is identical in every way to no god

Reply #7297 Posted: September 05, 2010, 11:51:11 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
God hates Christchurch.

Reply #7298 Posted: September 05, 2010, 11:56:16 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Allah doesn't. The mosque appears undamaged while the churches are!

Reply #7299 Posted: September 05, 2010, 12:43:39 pm