Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
  • Blob_ZPS has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1312129
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1312123
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1312122
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1312119
To build a complete model of the universe would take more energy the universe contains.

Rofl although that is true i think you miss the point of the argument, in fact you are equivocating the fact that we are saying that the universe can be explained by science eventually, ie. that there wont be anything unexplainable, not that we will be able to predict anything and everything that is ever going to happen in the future, even though no matter what happened we would still be able to explain it using existing theories if they were complete.
Science would still be able to explain and understand everything, it just would not be able to predict whats going to happen in the future using such a "model" which is absurd anyway seeing as the universe is probabilistic rather than deterministic.

No, he explained it perfectly.

Science can not explain everything about the universe (and everything else) where science itself is constricted by the laws of the universe itself.

Errr, everything else?
No i think youre missing the definition of universe : everything that exists anywhere.
If something existed somewhere else, its still somewhere ergo its in the universe.

Well, lets make the definition clear then.

Our universe, which started with the Big Bang.

But what about other universes?

Universe: "everything that exists anywhere".
If its not somewhere then it doesnt exist.

Besides, even if you allow for a *different* definition of universe, such as some place that exists but we can never go there or some BS.
Such a place is unfalsifiable so its not science, you're talking religion now.

Reply #7400 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:07:06 pm

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
Just wondering, Rice... How can you be certain your level of belief is the correct one? I mean, how do you know that your interperetation (which is indeed something completely separate from the morals taught by the old testament) is the correct interperetation over say, the Christian from another church next door, who may indeed be destined to go to heaven where you are determined to go to hell?

You say your faith is based on your personal relationship with Jesus, and follow his morals written in the New Testament, and that's what will eventually get you into heaven. How do you know his teachings, or indeed his existence, to be true?

Reply #7401 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:08:18 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spoonguard;1312130
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1312125
Can you give me an example?

Anything beyond the event horizon of a black hole
The properties of objects in areas that are expanding faster than the speed of light
Anything outside your light cone, actually

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

Anything outside your light cone, actually

You do not want to go there, that kind of Bs philosopop is basically half-baked religion.
Although I dont "know" if theres a big purple dragon behind me, to assume that there isnt is not irrational, in fact in most countries to assume the contrapositive would probably lead to medical care.

Reply #7402 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:10:35 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
^ What Spoon said, anything outside out light cone, the light from it will never reach us, no light, no evidence, nothing for science to explain.

Which means science can never explain everything. The universe is just too big, and if your talking about the universe as 'everything that exists anywhere', then you can never claim that's it's finite, how can you?

Reply #7403 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:10:58 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1312137
^ What Spoon said, anything outside out light cone, the light will never reach it, no light, no evidence, nothing for science to explain.

Which means science can never explain everything.

By light cone you do mean what you see with your eyes right?
Because the visible universe is a sphere, just in case youre talking about something like that?

Reply #7404 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:12:41 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1312138
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1312137
^ What Spoon said, anything outside out light cone, the light will never reach it, no light, no evidence, nothing for science to explain.

Which means science can never explain everything.

By light cone you do mean what you see with your eyes right?
Because the visible universe is a sphere, just in case youre talking about something like that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_cone

Have a read.

Reply #7405 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:15:51 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: Virus.;1312133
Just wondering, Rice... How can you be certain your level of belief is the correct one? I mean, how do you know that your interperetation (which is indeed something completely separate from the morals taught by the old testament) is the correct interperetation over say, the Christian from another church next door, who may indeed be destined to go to heaven where you are determined to go to hell?

You say your faith is based on your personal relationship with Jesus, and follow his morals written in the New Testament, and that's what will eventually get you into heaven. How do you know his teachings, or indeed his existence, to be true?

It's because Jesus will save you if you have faith in him....

Reply #7406 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:18:15 pm
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1312138

ORLYNOW?

Reply #7407 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:18:26 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1312113
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;1312103
If the universe is finite, then the number of things there are to be explained must also be finite, even if the number is obscenely large.

But then you would need to explain why the universe is finite, and the possibility of other universe.

However much we learn, we will also keeping learning that there is so much more we don't understand.

Anything outside the observable universe is in the god box.

I got re-interested in this thread because of Rices comments re: what you woudl say if god appeared in front of you. My position is that if he/she/it appears in front of you, then they aren't god(s)

The problem is that gods by their very definition are unfalsifiable. If gods become measurable and explicable, they're just science. Which is why peoples gods always move to fill the bits science hasn't got to.

Reply #7408 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:18:45 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
ITT: Blop telling you you've missed the point.

Reply #7409 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:22:26 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
I see what you mean by light cone but that doesnt mean that it cannot be observed, it just means not by you, or anyone you could communicate with =p.
And that doesnt change the fact that science, if all theories were complete, could explain those events although you shouldn't expect it to because theyre unscientific by definition.

Quote from: RetardoBot;1312150
ITT: Blop telling you you've missed the point.
It seems there is a lot of equivocation going on, im guilty of that in some cases myself so it pays to be clear what you are actually debating or else you will just end up in a straw man.

Reply #7410 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:22:34 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
I mean, some of these issues might have solutions. We might find a flawless method of instant communication, which would mostly solve the light cone problem. The universe may not actually have areas that move faster than the speed of light, so that might be irrelevant.

But the Black hole thing, well. What little we do know of black holes is that they are very effective at destroying information. Even if we somehow someday get perfect information back from inside the black hole there are still thousands of black swan events and objects out there that will baffle all explanation. Science's progress in understanding everything is a hyperbola, I think it would be very boring otherwise.

Reply #7411 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:23:55 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spoonguard;1312152
I mean, some of these issues might have solutions. We might find a flawless method of instant communication, which would mostly solve the light cone problem. The universe may not actually have areas that move faster than the speed of light, so that might be irrelevant.

But the Black hole thing, well. What little we do know of black holes is that they are very effective at destroying information. Even if we somehow someday get perfect information back from inside the black hole there are still thousands of black swan events and objects out there that will baffle all explanation. Science's progress in understanding everything is a hyperbola, I think it would be very boring otherwise.

For the record, no where "moves" faster than the speed of light, its the spacetime which is explanding rather than any point on it moving.

Reply #7412 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:25:54 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
while we are on the subject blop, do you think n = np? show your working :D

Reply #7413 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:26:09 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spoonguard;1312156

Im assuming you mean p=np or p=!np, if I knew that I would be very rich indeed, if it was the former i would be inside your bank acccount steealing your cash monies right now.

Reply #7414 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:27:04 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1312157

Im assuming you mean p=np or p=!np, if I knew that I would be very rich indeed, if it was the former i would be inside your bank acccount steealing your cash monies right now.

yeh, a typo. Do you think it will ever be solved?

also I have no monies. do you think you could be inside my bank account supplying it with monies instead

Reply #7415 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:28:52 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spoonguard;1312158

Perhaps, but maybe not in polynomial time :P

Reply #7416 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:29:43 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1312161

soooooooOoOOOooo how does this not apply to the universe at large? I'm very confused. Genuinely confused, not that sophism I was dicking around with earlier. Is there some infinite time in the universe I am not aware of?

Reply #7417 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:31:52 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spoonguard;1312164

soooooooOoOOOooo how does this not apply to the universe at large? I'm very confused. Genuinely confused, not that sophism I was dicking around with earlier. Is there some infinite time in the universe I am not aware of?

Perhaps jokes about p=!np cannot be solved outside a math department in polynomial time either rofl :)

Actually you could do some freaky shit whereby you fly around the universe at 0.9..(infinity many nines)..9c for an infinite amount of time, and when you come back down to your initial velocity youre idea of the inifinte amount of time that has passed will be different from the rest of the universe, in fact their time will be several orders of infinity (lmao) longer.

Reply #7418 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:37:29 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1312170
Quote from: Spoonguard;1312164

Perhaps jokes about p=!np cannot be solved outside a math department in polynomial time either rofl :)

Actually you could do some freaky shit whereby you fly around the universe at 0.9..(infinity many nines)..9c for an infinite amount of time, and when you come back down to your initial velocity youre idea of the inifinte amount of time that has passed will be different from the rest of the universe, in fact their time will be several orders of infinity (lmao) longer.

This talk of powers of infinities sounds dangerously like moving outside of the universe. Surely an infinite period of time is enough to tunnel out of it.

Reply #7419 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:39:55 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
This talk of powers of infinities sounds dangerously like moving outside of the universe.

No more than to say that the real numbers are infinitely more infinite than the natural numbers.
Or that there if an infinite amount of infinisteimally small distances between you and me, and if you make each of those infinitesimal increments infinitesimally smaller by dividing it into infinitely many infinitesimal parts you will have infinitely many more infinitesimal parts.
Haha

Reply #7420 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:42:36 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1312175
This talk of powers of infinities sounds dangerously like moving outside of the universe.

No more than to say that the real numbers are infinitely more infinite than the natural numbers.
Or that there if an infinite amount of infinisteimally small distances between you and me, and if you make each of those infinitesimal increments infinitesimally smaller by dividing it into infinitely many infinitesimal parts you will have infinitely many more infinitesimal parts.
Haha

Or instead of outrunning that arrow that is moving faster than you I just fucking stab you >:-(

Reply #7421 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:46:50 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spoonguard;1312180

Haha

Or instead of outrunning that arrow that is moving faster than you I just fucking stab you >:-(

Perhaps I'll just escape through a wormhole.

Reply #7422 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:48:25 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1312183
Quote from: Spoonguard;1312180

Haha

Perhaps I'll just escape through a wormhole.
So I am not allowed to tunnel out of the universe but you can. Unfair.

Reply #7423 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:51:17 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
So I am not allowed to tunnel out of the universe but you can. Unfair.

Tunneling within the universe between two points is fine.

Reply #7424 Posted: September 20, 2010, 07:52:23 pm