Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Nostargate;1478745
Meh gave up listening to "read the bible" ages ago, mostly once I heard "the church" removed 21 books from it (Gospel of Mary for instance, and an entire section called the Apocrypha) due to them "contradicting" to much (and then latter branding the bible with "do not tamper with the bible" disclaimer).
Also I refuse to accept the believe or burn in hell doctrine.
The only thing going for Christianity is the hot bitch's attending church, but they don't put out......so yeah kinda moot point there.

The lost section of the bible before the reformation. http://www.thelostbooks.com/kjvtoc1615.jpg

A lovely piece on QI where Stephen Fry talks about the bits they decided to leave out of the bible. The whole clip is worth watching, but the bit I am referring to is from 2.45

Reply #8025 Posted: April 04, 2012, 08:31:05 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Dr Woomanchu;1478903
A lovely piece on QI where Stephen Fry talks about the bits they decided to leave out of the bible. The whole clip is worth watching, but the bit I am referring to is from 2.45
Biblical Accuracy is a joke.

Reply #8026 Posted: April 04, 2012, 08:57:06 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
  • Oddball has no influence.
This has nothing to do with anything. I saw it, then I laughed.

Spoiler :

I shouldn't of laughed. But I did.

And then.... it happened.

Spoiler :
Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:00:10 am by Oddball

Reply #8027 Posted: April 06, 2012, 03:47:28 am
A testament to my ICONZ Legacy: http://i.imgur.com/z1qGsZ3.png
Retired warden of the getsome concentration camp for stupid people.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;1478435
But probably the biggest thing I dislike about Christianity is the ignorance of most of the followers. Most have no idea the history of their religion, what preceded it, the political environment it evolved in, how it came about, why they believe it, and why it is so popular. To me blind faith is kinda abhorrent.

The Rage Against God is a book written by Christopher Hitchens idiot brother, Peter Hitchens.

In part 2 it hits right on something which should be obvious to any idiot. Unfortunately, Christian Apologetics are beyond stupid.
Part Two: Addressing Atheism: Three Failed Arguments

In the book Hitchens cites atrocities committed under the Khmer Rouge as an example of crimes against humanity perpetrated by atheist states (skulls of victims shown).

In Chapter 9, Hitchens contends that the claim that religion is a source of conflict is a "cruel factual misunderstanding",[15] and that a number of conflicts, including The Troubles and the Arab–Israeli conflict, were not motivated by religion but tribal in nature and disputes over territory

Thats right. 'Religion is just one of many motivating factors for conflict'. This along with the 'Atheists are the worst moral guardians' is one of the

biggest and most obvious lies, but people fall for it time and time again.

For starters: Examples used for 'Atheists fight just as much as Christians' are, most typically, TWENTIETH CENTURY EXAMPLES because Christians are historically ignorant slobs. One third of Germany disappears off the planet thanks to The Reformation? The Amish almost being wiped out when arriving in America, land of Religious freedom? Apparently that is not as interesting as the Khmer Rouge or Stalin.

We will just ignore Mr Hitler and his Catholic cronies.

Reply #8028 Posted: April 07, 2012, 11:51:34 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
It's selective ignorance as well, which makes it so much worse.

Reply #8029 Posted: April 08, 2012, 08:39:09 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Where's Rice gone?

Looks like:

Science - Over 9000
Religion - 0

Reply #8030 Posted: April 08, 2012, 11:20:22 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Would anyone like to try and defend Islam?

Sharia means: You Lose
http://www.radicalislam.org/content/islam-governing-under-sharia
3. Does sharia apply only to religious matters?

No. Sharia governs all aspects of life, from relations between men and women to ethics in business and banking. Some aspects of sharia have become part of modern legal codes and are enforced by national judicial systems, while others are a matter of personal conscience. Entirely secular law is not an option under a classical interpretation of Islam, experts say. "In Islam, there is no separation between the secular and the sacred. The law is suffused with religion," says David Powers, a professor of Islamic law and history at Cornell University.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1264729/Child-bride-13-dies-internal-injuries-days-arranged-marriage-Yemen.html
Legislation that would make it illegal for those under the age of 17 to marry is in serious peril after strong opposition from some of Yemen's most influential Islamic leaders.

Reply #8031 Posted: April 09, 2012, 08:43:19 am

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: BerG;1479529
Where's Rice gone?

Looks like:

Science - Over 9000
Religion - 0
Give him about 3 days...

Reply #8032 Posted: April 10, 2012, 11:16:16 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: krasher;1480007
Give him about 3 days...

They said that about Jesus too and now look at the mess that made.

Reply #8033 Posted: April 11, 2012, 12:02:18 am

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
  • Oddball has no influence.
haha o snap

Reply #8034 Posted: April 11, 2012, 12:59:40 am
A testament to my ICONZ Legacy: http://i.imgur.com/z1qGsZ3.png
Retired warden of the getsome concentration camp for stupid people.

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: BerG;1479529
Where's Rice gone?

Full credit for him even making a show tbh, one wiff of Christian blood and you atheists start foaming at the mouth

Reply #8035 Posted: April 11, 2012, 08:18:27 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: dirtyape;1480021
Full credit for him even making a show tbh, one wiff of Christian blood and you atheists start foaming at the mouth

I suspect he is a Poe. Most likely using our collective rage to fight at the battlefront of a forum far far away from here.

Incidentally: You can usually spot a religion or dishonest movement by the way it both conducts itself and/or presents itself.

In

my philosophy: If something promotes the negative aspects of one of the triad of human behaviour (Selfishness, Laziness, Ignorance) then you can guarantee that it is dishonest.

Tiwas Philosophy: available at a book store near you!

Reply #8036 Posted: April 11, 2012, 12:03:15 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
I don't think he was, he was very subtle if so. Most of the poes i've seen have been much more troll-like and confrontational. But you never know.

Reply #8037 Posted: April 11, 2012, 01:59:04 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
I tried to understand Tiwa's philosophy, but soon reached the Gateway of Unyielding Despair.

It was as far as I got.

Reply #8038 Posted: April 11, 2012, 03:40:08 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
I shall have to have a listen, unyielding despair should be the norm for an atheist

Reply #8039 Posted: April 11, 2012, 07:29:10 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: dirtyape;1480087
I shall have to have a listen, unyielding despair should be the norm for an atheist
Sounds appealing.

Reply #8040 Posted: April 11, 2012, 07:31:18 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline SmiLinSniPeR

• Addicted
  • SmiLinSniPeR has no influence.
Quote from: dirtyape;1480051
I don't think he was, he was very subtle if so. Most of the poes i've seen have been much more troll-like and confrontational. But you never know.

He has no hidden agenda or plot to overthrow the athiest masses, he is just passionate about his beliefs.

Reply #8041 Posted: April 11, 2012, 11:40:24 pm

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.
Oh sorry guys!  i totally forgot about the thread.  Huge apologies to Ape for not replying sooner, my mistake.

just got reaaaally tied up with work and the end of financial year accounts and everything.  Got a lecture from the accountant about YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE THE STOCK TAKE BY NOW!   hahahahha

I'm sitting here watching dragonball z with my cup of tea when i was reminded that hey there's still a debate happening man!   will post tomorow when i get time!  Have a great night :D
Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:00:08 am by Who_ate_my_rice

Reply #8042 Posted: April 11, 2012, 11:51:39 pm
( •_•)>⌐

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: krasher;1480088
Sounds appealing.

Indeed. It is the requirement for a universe lacking a greater purpose.
Quote from: Bertrand Russell
That man is the product of causes which had no prevision of the end they were achieving; that his origin, his growth, his hopes and fears, his loves and his beliefs, are but the outcome of accidental collocations of atoms; that no fire, no heroism, no intensity of thought and feeling, can preserve an individual life beyond the grave; that all the labors of the ages, all the devotion, all the inspiration, all the noonday brightness of human genius, are destined to extinction in the vast death of the solar system, and that the whole temple of man's achievement must inevitably be buried beneath the debris of a universe in ruins -- all these things, if not quite beyond dispute, are yet so nearly certain that no philosophy which rejects them can hope to stand. Only within the scaffolding of these truths, only on the firm foundation of unyielding despair, can the soul's salvation henceforth be safely built.

One does not need to pursue faery tales in order to find purpose, ones existence is purpose enough. We who are fortunate enough to exist shape our world through our endeavours and will, our immortality is in our history, not in the fleeting spectre of the present, and certainly not in a future supernatural utopia.

Quote from: Who_ate_my_rice;1480123
Oh sorry guys!  i totally forgot about the thread.  Huge apologies to Ape for not replying sooner, my mistake.

I eagerly await...

Reply #8043 Posted: April 12, 2012, 05:12:53 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.

Oh hi Ape. Are you also arising early to fight crime?
Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:16:47 am by BerG

Reply #8044 Posted: April 12, 2012, 05:13:39 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
I'm trying to bring unyielding despair to the people before breakfast

Reply #8045 Posted: April 12, 2012, 05:27:52 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
All that really highlights is freedom to find ones own purpose cannot be achieved under any religious belief. I can see why the mafia calls them "god"fathers, they also are rather adept at extortion.

Reply #8046 Posted: April 12, 2012, 07:36:47 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Reply #8047 Posted: April 12, 2012, 08:52:34 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
if there is a god, a lot of these christians are doing Satan's work: http://www.newser.com/story/143980/nun-80-charged-in-church-linked-baby-snatching.html
The trouble with god is you can justify any evil

and some comics:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/atheism
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/extremists

Reply #8048 Posted: April 15, 2012, 02:10:53 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted

Reply #8049 Posted: April 20, 2012, 05:20:01 pm