Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TofuEater;393083
When science looks inside our body it finds much activity - activity that is designed to keep us alive. Most of this occurs autonomously. When science looks to the sky's there is a remarkable similarity to that which is internal.

If you take the smallest object we can measure - an atomic nucleus, you find a proton/neutron core with electrons circling it. When you look into the heavens you see planets orbiting the sun.

There is little difference - i postulate that we are just all part of the cosmos, the universe is a giant body, living in a giant world where it is part of an even greater giant body. Think of it like those Russian Dolls.

And I postulate differently

When you look even closer into an atom, or even better: At general and special relativity in the solar systems gravitational balance, you'll see nothing but randomness. This means everything in the universe is built up upon layers and layers of subtle but totally chaotic probability and the attempt to make sense of it all FORCES our brains to create simple explanations in a sad attempt to make sense of it all. An evolutionary 'Occams Razor'

The infinitely regressing Russian Nesting Dolls is a complete falsehood. Infinity is a mental construct. Mentality is biologically flawed.
That proves the existence of an afterlife - just not ours. We are pre-programmed for all sorts of actions, show me the difference between highways carrying carloads of people and the bloodvessels in the body.

This proves that we decay into a state of zero-manifolds
In which case, we are all being controlled by a giant brain, in much the same way that our brains control our functions. Most of our life occurs automatically, cells are born, live and die but the body lives on - until it reaches a point at which it's usefulness is complete and it dies.

Every thought, action, emotion, reaction is preprogrammed into you. You will only act in the manner that best serves the greater body. There is no other way you can act. If someone is murdered, who's to say it isn't a cancer cell being eradicated? Who's to say that it isn't the cancer cell doing the murder?

There you have it - our purpose is to "serve" the universe, to keep it alive. It doesn't matter whether we live or die the universe as we know it will live on. There is an afterlife, the universe's. It's been around a long time more than any of us, and it will continue to be so long after our deaths. Go forth little uni-drones, go forth and make the universe whole.

If everything exists only because I see it, does it exist at all? Are my sensory functions at fault?

How do I know I exist? It is intuitively obvious
Intuition is no proof. What concrete evidence do you have that you exist? All my biological functions tell me I exist
If the biological functions were deliberately flawed to create a false sense of existence, how can I trust my senses? I am able to critique my senses
Can something exist when I believe it and not exist when I do not believe it? That which does exist requires no belief in its non-existence
If something which made you can make it seem like it does not exist, would you continue to believe it does?

*I* think therefore *I* am

If a universal consciousness cannot concieve of a universe without itself, then it is fundamentally FLAWED. A fundamentally flawed being CANNOT be perfect and cannot create anything of moral, physical or mental worth

Reply #2100 Posted: April 17, 2007, 09:47:06 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: cobra;393001
A question to all the christians, why dont you all die? if there is a paradise with seven virgins, or whatever cash prize you get when you die, why dont you just end it now? (may sound like i am taking the piss, but i really want to know)

Just because there is no high plan for us doesn't mean there is no meaning in life - I like moonlight walks on the beach and candle light dinners - there are enough things i enjoy to make sure i keep on living - If the only reason you religious people live is because of god, and not because you love living, then you live miserable lives
And leave you bunch here without giving you a chance to make an educated decision about joining us...na...besides, I'm not sure if they have bf2 and surfing in heaven. And, if we did that, this thread would be really boring.

Reply #2101 Posted: April 17, 2007, 09:47:34 am
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;393118
Can something exist when I believe it and not exist when I do not believe it?

If you don't believe it, you are still postulating it's existence, therefore you are conceiving that it might exist and as a result it does even if only as a result of your musing if not in "reality".

Reply #2102 Posted: April 17, 2007, 10:11:39 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
There is a difference between there being an overarching meaning and the meaning that we bestow upon on own lives.

Reply #2103 Posted: April 17, 2007, 10:18:30 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
If you take the smallest object we can measure - an atomic nucleus, you find a proton/neutron core with electrons circling it. When you look into the heavens you see planets orbiting the sun.

Yeah - electrons dont circle the nucleus, that is just what you get taught in 5th form science

Reply #2104 Posted: April 17, 2007, 01:35:23 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.

Reply #2105 Posted: April 17, 2007, 03:40:50 pm

Offline Obbles

• Obbles has no influence.
fuck this thread is long....but not as long as lllllooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg cat

Reply #2106 Posted: April 17, 2007, 03:50:43 pm

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: Simon_NZ;393587
LoL!

of course they don't.

Actually it doesn't really matter. What matters is that when you look inside the body you see similar systems to when you look outside. In this way you can see the connectivity of the universe. Therefore it doesn't matter if it's exactly the same - to us it's near enough for our reference point. The principles by which we are here remain as the constant.

As long as you see it in this manner you have an instant answer to the meaning of life. One that satisfies science and religion. So really to answer the original question put forward by this thread - neither. It's a draw between science and religion.

Reply #2107 Posted: April 17, 2007, 04:01:28 pm
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Atom = interaction of smaller individual molecules.

Organic Molecules = interaction of smaller individual atoms.

Cell = interaction of smaller individual organic molecules.

Brain = interaction of smaller individual cells.

Society = interaction of smaller individual brains.

I see a pattern there.

Reply #2108 Posted: April 17, 2007, 04:46:56 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;393606
Actually it doesn't really matter. What matters is that when you look inside the body you see similar systems to when you look outside. In this way you can see the connectivity of the universe. Therefore it doesn't matter if it's exactly the same - to us it's near enough for our reference point. The principles by which we are here remain as the constant.

As long as you see it in this manner you have an instant answer to the meaning of life. One that satisfies science and religion. So really to answer the original question put forward by this thread - neither. It's a draw between science and religion.

No. No. And no.

Where is the similarity? Cells have purposes - to keep the system functioning. Cells have a symbiotic relationship with other cells. They work in unison to achieve a goal. They are co-reliant, if one part of the system fails then the entire system may fail.

Now how does this relate to the universe?

Humans do not have this purpose. We are not running the universe. We are not providing any benefit to the universe or any other part of it. Nothing relies on us except ourselves and maybe a few parasites which have evolved around our existance.

Humans are the evolution of a virus floating on a spec of dust in a empty and meaningless universe. There is no eternal afterlife. There is no intelligent god. There is probably no other life in the universe outside of this solar system.

Now, I can see how this idea would be abhorrent to many. The desire to believe in fairy tales and myths is part of the human psyche, possibly programmed in to us through evolution in order to prevent the weak minded of the species from curling up and dying due to an overwhelming feeling of pointlessness. A curse of self awareness perhaps, a driving force to believe in a greater purpose than the obvious one that is right in front of your eyes. A purpose that you just cannot deny. That our ultimate purpose is to procreate.

This means humans have no more cosmic significance than the simplist form of near life - a lowly virus. We have the exact same purpose.

Reply #2109 Posted: April 17, 2007, 05:41:11 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: dirtyape;393726
They work in unison to achieve a goal. They are co-reliant, if one part of the system fails then the entire system may fail.
Humans do not have this purpose.

Uh huh.

Reply #2110 Posted: April 17, 2007, 05:43:01 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;393729
Uh huh.

do you understand?

Reply #2111 Posted: April 17, 2007, 05:45:22 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
Religion can be explained by Neo-Darwinism, it is merely a by-product of a desirable trait that once served a purpose.

Reply #2112 Posted: April 17, 2007, 05:49:34 pm

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: Simon_NZ;393737
Religion can be explained by Neo-Darwinism, it is merely a by-product of a desirable trait that once served a purpose.

Darwinism can be explained by religion as a by-product of intelligent design.

The argument will go round in circles for an eternity. One thing we can all be sure of, if religion is right, we'll know when we die. If it is wrong, we will never know.

Reply #2113 Posted: April 17, 2007, 06:15:57 pm
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
Quote from: TuataraDude;393761

The argument will go round in circles for an eternity. One thing we can all be sure of, if religion is right, we'll know when we die. If it is wrong, we will never know.

no it can't.

just no.

think about what your saying.

Reply #2114 Posted: April 17, 2007, 06:17:41 pm

Offline Steady

• Addicted
  • Steady has no influence.
LOL only nubs think aout what they are saying

Reply #2115 Posted: April 17, 2007, 06:49:25 pm
SOMETIMES I\'M NOT SERIOUS LOL

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TofuEater;393139
If you don't believe it, you are still postulating it's existence, therefore you are conceiving that it might exist and as a result it does even if only as a result of your musing if not in "reality".

Quote from: Arnifix;393152
There is a difference between there being an overarching meaning and the meaning that we bestow upon on own lives.

Quote from: Zarathrustra;393644
Atom = interaction of smaller individual molecules.

Organic Molecules = interaction of smaller individual atoms.

Cell = interaction of smaller individual organic molecules.

Brain = interaction of smaller individual cells.

Society = interaction of smaller individual brains.

I see a pattern there.

Quote from: dirtyape;393726
This means humans have no more cosmic significance than the simplist form of near life - a lowly virus. We have the exact same purpose.

Quote from: TofuEater;393729
Uh huh.

Quote from: dirtyape;393732
do you understand?

No. Of course he doesnt. But that question was rhetorical and as the old Greek comedians used to say:

Is this a Rhetorical question?
And the heckler would reply:
Is this an answer?
Quote from: Simon_NZ;393737

Quote from: TuataraDude;393761

Quote from: Simon_NZ;393766
no it can't.

just no.

think about what your saying.

Quote from: Tiwaking!;327783
This is why science and religion cant co-exist peacefully. The whole point of science its to further the goals of humanity, in other words: To become God! God cant coexist with other gods and the very idea that a creation would advance to the level of creator is incredibly scary(not that God can be scared of course). This means science is a direct threat to religion, which is why religous leaders are frightened of the ideas of science.

TofuEater: By simplifying and defining everything by its similarity and interactiveness you are advocating Existentialism.

Existentialism should be stamped out

Reply #2116 Posted: April 17, 2007, 09:54:58 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: lowrex;393592
fuck this thread is long....but not as long as lllllooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg cat

Nothing is that long.

Reply #2117 Posted: April 17, 2007, 09:55:37 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
thanks for quoting me Tiwaking

Reply #2118 Posted: April 17, 2007, 09:56:19 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
Quote from: Arnifix;394123
Nothing is that long.

NOTHING!

Reply #2119 Posted: April 17, 2007, 09:56:51 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Simon_NZ;394125
thanks for quoting me Tiwaking

You know how someone can say something either so inane or so fundamentally WRONG that you just cant spit out the words of wrongage fast enough that you just start saying totally and completely made up meta-words JUST because your brain refuses to slow down to the speed at which the wrong statement when being said must have been being transmitted at?

"Intelligent Design proves Darwinism!"

But...wha....how.....nurr....gurr.....

- As an example

Reply #2120 Posted: April 17, 2007, 10:08:36 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted

Reply #2121 Posted: April 17, 2007, 10:18:07 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Simon_NZ;394126