Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: TofuEater;395471
I'm not surprised. It seems that everyone who has a chip on their shoulder about religion had some major experience of it as they grew up.

I wasn't allowed to do religious education. Told the teacher she was full of shit or something.

And anyway, lets not beat around the fucking bush here. It's not religious education. It's Christian education. I don't see any schools teaching their kids about Buddhism, Taoism etc, except to say that those religions are hokey bullshit.

Reply #2150 Posted: April 19, 2007, 08:37:09 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Arnifix;395608
I wasn't allowed to do religious education. Told the teacher she was full of shit or something.

The prosecution rests.

Reply #2151 Posted: April 19, 2007, 08:45:18 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: TofuEater;395616
The prosecution rests.

Why, because even as a child I could see that what she was saying demanded belief in extraordinary events with little to no proof baring a hypocritical, archaic, ill-translated text of dubious origin and worth?

Reply #2152 Posted: April 19, 2007, 08:54:01 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: Arnifix;395623
Why, because even as a child I could see that what she was saying demanded belief in extraordinary events with little to no proof baring a hypocritical, archaic, ill-translated text of dubious origin and worth?

No, because you allow yourself to be consumed by it. I too worked out that religion/christianity wasn't for me when i was about 10-11 years old, but i left it behind there and then and got on with my life. I didn't feel the need to rip shit out of people who still felt that it held something for them.

Reply #2153 Posted: April 19, 2007, 09:02:42 am
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;395501
I went to St Marys School, in Ramelton, Republic of Ireland, from 1987 to 1990.
Went to St Josephs School, Whangarei, from 1991 to 1993.
Went to Pompallier College, Whangarei, from 1994 to 1996.

was the prinicpial at pompallier when you where there a Mr McKay?

Reply #2154 Posted: April 19, 2007, 09:14:19 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: TofuEater;395628
No, because you allow yourself to be consumed by it. I too worked out that religion/christianity wasn't for me when i was about 10-11 years old, but i left it behind there and then and got on with my life. I didn't feel the need to rip shit out of people who still felt that it held something for them.

People can believe in whatever religion they want. I'm not going to stop them. I am going to rip the shit out of them if they try to impose their religion on others. And that is happening more and more in this day and age.

Reply #2155 Posted: April 19, 2007, 09:48:05 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
What would happen if we removed 1 from society? like all traces of it and no one knew it ever existed.

What would a world founded on religon be like compared to todays, and vice versa, science only? How radically different do you think it would br?

Reply #2156 Posted: April 19, 2007, 10:07:40 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: private_hell;395642
was the prinicpial at pompallier when you where there a Mr McKay?

No - the principal when I was there was Father Jim Gresham, a Catholic priest. There were 4 priests on staff, as well as a Brother and a nun (plus, the guidance counsellor was a gambling addict - he always had stacks of used cards from Skycity in his office). When I was at St Josephs School, the principal there was a nun.

Reply #2157 Posted: April 19, 2007, 11:56:55 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;395791
the principal there was a nun.

Was she hot?

Reply #2158 Posted: April 19, 2007, 12:20:26 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;395673
People can believe in whatever religion they want. I'm not going to stop them. I am going to rip the shit out of them if they try to impose their religion on others. And that is happening more and more in this day and age.

What is happening is that religious people are trying to impose their beliefs on others and non-religious people are trying to impose their non-beliefs on people. I'm sorry, but both sides are as bad as eachother. I have my beliefs (which I will keep to myself), I will not try and force them down other peoples thoats. I also ask that nobody tries to impose their beliefs down mine. Having said that, it two people of differing beliefs can have a civilised conversation about the differences, then I'm all for it, which is what I believe this thread is about, but that is my own belief and I may be wrong. I will also not try and force others to stick by that belief, :laff:.

Reply #2159 Posted: April 19, 2007, 12:20:38 pm
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
I think religious instruction in school is probably the worst thing the church could do. I would guess that a large percentage of those receiving the instruction will call bullshit simply for the fact that the education they recieve teaches one thing and the religious instruction contradicts it. Plus the typical teenage rebel will just laugh and ignore it.

Reply #2160 Posted: April 19, 2007, 01:04:38 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
Quote from: dirtyape;395871
I think religious instruction in school is probably the worst thing the church could do. I would guess that a large percentage of those receiving the instruction will call bullshit simply for the fact that the education they recieve teaches one thing and the religious instruction contradicts it. Plus the typical teenage rebel will just laugh and ignore it.

I'm not sure I agree with that. At the school I went to (in Holland) for one year, once a week we had a class that can best be described as humanities. Each week we were taught the beliefs of a different religion and what they stood for. We were also taught the view of the non religious. Our teacher never made a judgement about any of them, making sure he didn't try and sway our personal opinion. It was more about telling us what various people believed and then let us decide what we wanted. It was my second favourite class that year (behind physics).

What I'm trying to say is, if you have a well disciplined teacher, with no personal agenda apart from imparting knowledge without judgement, teaching religious beliefs in school can help increase understanding, and that is a lot better than ignorance.

Reply #2161 Posted: April 19, 2007, 01:18:50 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
that is not what religious instruction is in new zealand. At our primary school we had a local minister come in once a fortnight and bleet on about giant fishes, big ships full of every animal, and talking snakes. He never mentioned any other religion. ever. And I doubt they do in Catholic schools either.

It's attempted brain washing. That school you mentioned sounds like it has the right idea, thats what religious instruction should be. Theology studies.

Reply #2162 Posted: April 19, 2007, 01:29:04 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;395590
Hardly!

The message is different and the method's are different. Its not a different wrapper, its just more lollies.

the core is the same, the skin has changed to suit the time.

the message and methods are different but they all point and lead to one place.

or am i looking at it wrong? maybe i am.

Reply #2163 Posted: April 19, 2007, 02:36:56 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
dont look if your easily offended etc etc

Spoiler :
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/9779/sb7xmqa3d76c5h5b53eqglxxp9.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #2164 Posted: April 19, 2007, 02:38:08 pm

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: relworG;395814
Was she hot?

I think i'm in need of some extreme unction.

Reply #2165 Posted: April 19, 2007, 02:38:08 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
she can absolve me of my sins anyday

Reply #2166 Posted: April 19, 2007, 02:40:45 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Oh yes, Nuns! the ultimate religous taboo, that doesn't involve choir boys

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4733/bianca1558617dqe8.jpg

Reply #2167 Posted: April 19, 2007, 02:47:12 pm

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Simon_NZ;395971
dont look if your easily offended etc etc

Spoiler :
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/9779/sb7xmqa3d76c5h5b53eqglxxp9.jpg

Very nice. I won't bother reading it now. Guess I'll wait till the movie comes out. Oh wait! Mel already did.

Reply #2168 Posted: April 19, 2007, 04:56:13 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TuataraDude;395887
I'm not sure I agree with that. At the school I went to (in Holland) for one year, once a week we had a class that can best be described as humanities. Each week we were taught the beliefs of a different religion and what they stood for. We were also taught the view of the non religious. Our teacher never made a judgement about any of them, making sure he didn't try and sway our personal opinion. It was more about telling us what various people believed and then let us decide what we wanted. It was my second favourite class that year (behind physics).

What I'm trying to say is, if you have a well disciplined teacher, with no personal agenda apart from imparting knowledge without judgement, teaching religious beliefs in school can help increase understanding, and that is a lot better than ignorance.

That kind of religious instruction would be so awesome!

Key problems are: Disciplined teacher, age of students and societal standards. Another problem is that it kind of doesnt fit any kind of curriculum. That being said, it could be counted as an 'interest' thing rather than a 'morals' thing
Quote from: 'frog.;395968
the core is the same, the skin has changed to suit the time.

the message and methods are different but they all point and lead to one place.

or am i looking at it wrong? maybe i am.

Yes you are looking at it wrong. Sorry frog
Greater explanation will be given upon request

Reply #2169 Posted: April 19, 2007, 09:41:58 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: dirtyape;395894
He never mentioned any other religion. ever. And I doubt they do in Catholic schools either.

I can't imagine Catholic schools teaching about Buddhism.
I think, overall, churches are afraid of losing numbers. A couple of churches I've been to up here certainly are - not as concerned with getting people there, but more concerned with making sure those who come are there the next week. The Catholic church especially is afraid of losing numbers, but people have a bad opinion of the Catholic church (and to some extent, the Anglican and Presbyterian churches) because they are also afraid of change. I remember reading in the NZ Herald that the fastest growing denomination was actually evangelical-based churches, because people are attracted to the current or pop culture facet of what they are doing, keeping things relevant.

Reply #2170 Posted: April 19, 2007, 10:06:07 pm

Offline GoatSlayer

• Devoted Member
  • GoatSlayer has no influence.

Reply #2171 Posted: April 23, 2007, 07:06:42 am

Q: What is a gentleman?
A: A man who can play the accordion, but doesn\'t.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

Reply #2172 Posted: April 23, 2007, 07:26:17 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
no he fucken wasnt

nor was darwin

dont misquote people

Reply #2173 Posted: April 23, 2007, 07:27:21 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;399529
Einstein was religious.
"God does not play dice with the universe."

He was just smart about it.

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals Himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

Reply #2174 Posted: April 23, 2007, 07:39:00 pm