Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;486824
Obviously God - we're not denying that bad stuff happens and that some of it is Gods doing - it simply makes more sense he would be responsible for more than Satan, since the Bible isn't ABOUT Satan.

then what is the bible about?

Reply #3425 Posted: July 17, 2007, 08:14:00 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Its 66 different books about 66 different things.

Reply #3426 Posted: July 17, 2007, 08:26:02 pm

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;486874
Its 66 different books about 66 different things.

heheheh nice one.  

and yes it was God who did most of it.  But did you see it had a cause effect thing about it too?  

ANd black heart like i said before.  If her church is like this too they need to seriously try to get themselves on the right track too.  Because all they are doing in nurturing destructive behaviour.

Reply #3427 Posted: July 17, 2007, 08:39:07 pm
( •_•)>⌐

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Who_ate_my_rice;486893

But did you see it had a cause effect thing about it too?  

the effect being fear.

and the church still uses that fear to this day

Reply #3428 Posted: July 17, 2007, 08:42:32 pm

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;486894
the effect being fear.

and the church still uses that fear to this day

Well you should have at least a bit of fear in God.  Well for us believers anyway.  Since we believe he created us he has the power to take us out!

Thats also a good way to keep the members of the church inline.  Also if you aren't realyl sure if God exists... they might be thinking like..... well.. what if... I'll get pwnz0red!!

Obviously you aren't going to steal from the collection basket if you know you are going to have to pay for it in the end.

But thats not just with God stuff.  People believe in superstition too.  If you steal something it will be taken back from you ten fold.  I remember i had to write that on notes i used to leave with the power points and stuff i left in the aparments when i was fitting off.  Other peoples stuff got nicked but i always had my gear =P

if you put the thought of, hey im going to end up loosing soemthign later... and it might be soemthign i really need.  They tend not to do it because they dont want to give up anything of their own.

Now before you say If God loves you so much he wouldn't do that to you.  Well think about it.  If you child draws all over the walls.  What are you going to do.  Shrug yoru shoulders and let him be?  Of course not.  You are going to punish him so he knows not to do that again. Same with stealing.  If your child steals a pack of bubble gum are you just going to let him keep it?  Of course not.,  You are going to punish him so he knows what happened to him when i did do it.  He will think twice about doing it again.   Its because you love him you don't want him to turn out to be a bad person.

Reply #3429 Posted: July 17, 2007, 08:52:17 pm
( •_•)>⌐

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.

Reply #3430 Posted: July 17, 2007, 09:09:17 pm

Offline Into The Void

• Devoted Member
  • Into The Void has no influence.
God damn I hate that christian on the Rich List tv show. The first one was so unfair. I hope he doesn;t win any money.

Reply #3431 Posted: July 17, 2007, 09:21:15 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: KiLL3r;485403
i think a gun would 100% more effective than prayer. hell i think anything would be 100% more effective than prayer

0*100/1=0. You must be a crap shot

Reply #3432 Posted: July 18, 2007, 01:56:32 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Alexo256

• Devoted Member
  • Alexo256 has no influence.
The people that piss me off the most in the world are

A. Evangelical Christians
and B. People who cant spell and use grammar.
IE. A big block of text with tons of spelling mistakes and no punctuation at all.

Edit. C. Gangsta's and white people who think they're black.

Reply #3433 Posted: July 23, 2007, 04:38:26 pm

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: Alexo256;491924
Thread Revive

Shouldn't that be "Thread Ressurection"?

Reply #3434 Posted: July 23, 2007, 06:33:20 pm
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline foOL

• Just settled in
  • foOL has no influence.
Spoiler :
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7628/spoilerpf7.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #3435 Posted: July 23, 2007, 07:03:19 pm

Offline Into The Void

• Devoted Member
  • Into The Void has no influence.

Reply #3436 Posted: July 23, 2007, 07:08:15 pm

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: foOL;492083
Spoiler :
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7628/spoilerpf7.jpg

Doesn't anyone else find it a coincidence that Harry Potter died on the same page?

j/k

Reply #3437 Posted: July 23, 2007, 07:13:14 pm
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: Alexo256;491924
The people that piss me off the most in the world are

A. Evangelical Christians
and B. People who cant spell and use grammar.
IE. A big block of text with tons of spelling mistakes and no punctuation at all.

Edit. C. Gangsta's and white people who think they're black.
That paragraph was a shocking example of point B, and your example.

Reply #3438 Posted: July 23, 2007, 07:33:13 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Alexo256

• Devoted Member
meh. At least my post was readable.

Reply #3439 Posted: July 23, 2007, 07:53:09 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Link to an article in which researchers tested how generous people were. Interestingly, those that were primed with "religious" concepts were more generous than the control group, but no more so than those primed with secular moral concepts such as civic responsibility.

Reply #3440 Posted: July 26, 2007, 10:01:24 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Hardly surprising really - I don't link generosity as a purely Christian trait at all. I think generosity comes from awareness and compassion for those around you.

Thought I would tell you, I'm getting frustrated at this other forum I'm on.

Its a Christian forum, and I posted the thing about immortality, and a guy said "What about Genesis 6:3?" (which reads 'Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [a] man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."') so I said "What about Jeanne Calment, that lady whose age is confirmed at 122 years, 164 days?"

The thread is now dead. No-one is replying.

:disappoin

Reply #3441 Posted: July 26, 2007, 11:26:10 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;486742
God by about 2million to 10.

Also, has anybody noticed how the bible sounds incredibly like propaganda, slamming Satan as being the evil one and promoting God, yet acknowledging all the horrible shit God does and saying that it was "for good".

Yes, the bible was one of the first forms of propaganda. Example, it was during the time of Hezekiah when the Assyrians invaded Israel. They were the toughest military force in the region, and had just conquered Aram. They captured and razed the major settlement in southern Israel and then moved on the capital.

Hezekiah had no option but to buy them off. He paid them not to attack, and they withdrew. Now this event was not in his best interest to be made public, as it made him appear weak. So he had his scribes write up some bullshit about the 185,000 Assyrians warriors perishing mysteriously during the night - because he had prayed to god for them to be smitten.

But, the Assyrians told of a different story. The Assyrian frescos depict Hezekiah giving them gold and them wandering off with piles of loot and women. They tell of victory and mention nothing about 185,000 soldiers perishing in the night, because it never happened.

Quote from: Who_ate_my_rice;486893
heheheh nice one.  

and yes it was God who did most of it.  But did you see it had a cause effect thing about it too?  

ANd black heart like i said before.  If her church is like this too they need to seriously try to get themselves on the right track too.  Because all they are doing in nurturing destructive behaviour.

Do you know who wrote the bible? When it was written? Who wrote the Pentateuch? When were the gospels written? By whom? Why are some gospels copied word for word and used in other gospels? And when were they converted to Latan? When were they converted from Latan to english? By whom?

Surprisingly not many Christians want to know the answers of these questions. Instead they hold on to the ridiculous belief that god somehow inspired people that had never even met Jesus to write all about his life and his actions.

Have you heard about the Lord Raglan Hero scale? Basically it's a way of measuring a specific mythical hero against the archetypical mythical hero. There are 22 points that you can score on. Actually historical figures do not score over 6, scoring over 6 means the individual is very likely to be mythical. Either they never existed or never existed in the manner they are commonly depicted. Here are the points:

1. The hero's mother is a royal virgin
2. His father is a king
3. His father is also a near relative of the mother
4. The circumstances of his conception are unusual
5. He is reputed to be the son of a god or demon
6. At birth an attempt is made, usually by his father or maternal grandfather, to kill . him (persecution)
7. He is exiled or goes on a long journey
8. He is reared by foster-parents
9. We are told nothing of his childhood, or his childhood remains mysterious
10. On reaching manhood he returns or goes to his future kingdom
11. He does good deeds for the community (killing a beast, monster, or winning a war)
12. He marries a princess, often the daughter of his enemy or predecessor
13. He becomes king
14. For a time he reigns peacefully
15. He creates or prescribes laws
16. He later loses favor with the gods and or his people*(persecution)
17. He is exiled from from the throne and the city or sent on a journey
18. He meets with a mysterious death or a disappearance
19. This often happens at the top of a hill or summit
20. His children, if any, do not succeed him
21. His body is not buried, or may be mysteriously hidden
22. He has one or more holy tombs or graves

Here are some scores for ancient heroes:
Oedipus - 21
Theseus - 20
Romulus - 18
Hercules - 17
Perseus - 18
Jason - 15
Bellerophon - 16
Pelops - 13
Asklepios - 12
Dionysus - 19
Apollo - 11
Zeus - 15

How does Jesus score?
1. His mother is the Virgin Mary, supposedly descended from King David (0.5)
2. His father is supposedly descended from King David (0.5)
3. No hint of that (0)
4. Can anyone say Virgin Birth? (1)
5. He is the Son of God, God himself, or 1/3 of God (1)
6. King Herod killing those baby boys (1)
7. His parents flee with him to Egypt (1)
8. He is raised by his original parents (0)
9. Only one incident: his precocity in the Temple, though some noncanonical gospels have other precocity stories (1)
10. He goes to Galilee[Synoptics]/Jerusalem[John] after spending time in the wilderness (1)
11. He successfully resists the Devil's temptations, including rule of "all the kingdoms of the world" (1)
12. He remains single, though the Gospel of Philip features a relationship between him and Mary Magdalene (0)
13. He becomes a religious prophet (1)
14. Most of his Galilee/Jerusalem time is relatively uneventful (1)
15. He delivers lots of teachings, many of which can be interpreted as laws (1)
16. When he gets in trouble with the authorities, his followers desert him (1)
17. He is put on trial for being some kind of subversive (1)
18. He dies on that cross, even though he could have jumped off of it, as his history of miracle-working might suggest (1)
19. Yes (1)
20. He has no known children (1)
21. He rises from the dead, leaves his tomb, and eventually rises up into heaven (1)
22. The Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem (1)

Jesus Christ's Lord Raglan score is 18, well within the mythical range.

http://danielle-movie.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-118.html

Word of Jesus was spread via oral tradition until someone decided to document it. Problem there is that 350 years of oral tradition tends to distort things a bit... Jesus probably existed,  but as for being the avatar of a non existent human-like god effigy? no. i don't think so buddy.

Reply #3442 Posted: July 26, 2007, 11:32:33 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.

Reply #3443 Posted: July 26, 2007, 11:46:44 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/705/60828441eb6.jpg

Reply #3444 Posted: July 26, 2007, 12:10:35 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;494490
Hardly surprising really - I don't link generosity as a purely Christian trait at all. I think generosity comes from awareness and compassion for those around you.

Its a Christian forum, and I posted the thing about immortality, and a guy said "What about Genesis 6:3?" (which reads 'Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [a] man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."') so I said "What about Jeanne Calment, that lady whose age is confirmed at 122 years, 164 days?"

after my time in this thread even i could come up with the default christian answers

1. time could mean different things to god, iwhen he says 120 years it might mean 122 years 164 days in our time

or

2. 120 years is a metaphor

this is awesome easy answers to any question, beats thinking

Reply #3445 Posted: July 26, 2007, 01:51:39 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Unfortunately you may be right cobra.

I haven't enjoyed the Christian forum at all since I joined - they are for more concerned with discussing the latest episode of Home and Away than with any of the major questions surrounding our existence. As proven with my comment; they've all frozen like possums in a headlight :disappoin

Reply #3446 Posted: July 26, 2007, 02:22:16 pm

Offline Alexo256

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;494490

http://www.gaychristianinotherforum.justgotowned.com

Reply #3447 Posted: July 26, 2007, 09:10:27 pm

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;494616
they are for more concerned with discussing the latest episode of Home and Away than with any of the major questions surrounding our existence.

Sounds like us tbh.

Reply #3448 Posted: July 26, 2007, 10:04:48 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
^^
rofl :D

Iconz > Christian forum, by about 1000000000000%.

Reply #3449 Posted: July 26, 2007, 10:19:36 pm