Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.
Just a question (I don't know much about evolution). If we supposedly evolve. Shouldn't we still be evolving now? Why does evolution just stop?

Shouldn't we be evolving getting ready for global warming.. growing gills so that we can start swimming in the sea etc?

Reply #3900 Posted: December 09, 2007, 10:05:56 pm
snprkd

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: snprkdFACE;610132
Just a question (I don't know much about evolution). If we supposedly evolve. Shouldn't we still be evolving now? Why does evolution just stop?

Shouldn't we be evolving getting ready for global warming.. growing gills so that we can start swimming in the sea etc?

who said we have stopped evolving?

evolution isnt growing a pair of gills overnight. it can take thousand to millions of years to totally grow new body parts.

Reply #3901 Posted: December 09, 2007, 10:16:06 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: snprkdFACE;609951
God vs Science

'Let me explain the problem science has with religion.' The atheist professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new students to stand.
'You're a Christian, aren't you, son?'
'Yes sir,' the student says.
'So you believe in God?'
'who died of cancer, even though he  prayed to Jesus to heal him. How is this Jesus good? Hmmm? Can you answer that one?'

blah
blah
blah

' sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God.
It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the  absence of God.
God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold  that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no
light.'

The professor sat down.

what was the point of this? can christians only score points against straw men?

Reply #3902 Posted: December 10, 2007, 12:40:13 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!

Humans evolve into cats.

It just takes a while.

Reply #3903 Posted: December 10, 2007, 06:36:06 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.

Evolution has not, and does not stop.

And why exactly would we start growing gills? Evolution occurs on a generational scale. Magically appearing gills, now that would require belief in a higher power.

Or Aquaman. God he's useless. WITH THE POWERS OF A FISH!

Reply #3904 Posted: December 10, 2007, 07:34:23 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: Arnifix;610302

sounds like a girl i know.

Reply #3905 Posted: December 10, 2007, 08:11:51 am

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.

And why exactly would we start growing gills?

So that we don't die out and get flooded when global warming gets bad and ice melts etc.

Reply #3906 Posted: December 10, 2007, 08:13:46 am
snprkd

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.

Quote from: Wiki
Aquaman had the ability to breathe underwater and superhuman strength enabling him to swim at high speeds. He was also shown to have the ability to communicate with sea-life and have them do his bidding.

It goes on to say...
By the late 1950s, Aquaman's ability to talk with fish had been expanded to full-fledged telepathic communication with sea creatures even from great distances.

Not entirely useless, especially with global warming.

Reply #3907 Posted: December 10, 2007, 08:16:11 am
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Don't defend Aquaman. Lamest. Superhero. Evar.

As for evolution, seems to me we're evolving into an uglier, more violent, and far lazier version of ourselves with a lower tolerance for alcohol and a higher tolerance for stupidity.

At least, people seem to be in Whangarei :D

Reply #3908 Posted: December 10, 2007, 09:17:21 am

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;610325
Don't defend Aquaman. Lamest. Superhero. Evar.

Actually, according to here http://www.maximonline.com/articles/index.aspx?a_id=5276, he is only the second lamest ever.

And after doing a little research (not a lot I admit, I do have a life) there are some pretty lame ones out there. Arm Fall Off Boy anyone? The Gay Ghost perchance? I am not making those up either.

Perhaps we should start a new thread on this....then again.

Reply #3909 Posted: December 10, 2007, 09:28:33 am
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: snprkdFACE;610311
So that we don't die out and get flooded when global warming gets bad and ice melts etc.

^stupid for the sake of being stupid, thats the christian way

Reply #3910 Posted: December 10, 2007, 10:05:48 am

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;610336
^stupid for the sake of being stupid, thats the christian way

Arrogant for the sake of being arrogant...that's the atheist way.

Reply #3911 Posted: December 10, 2007, 10:09:50 am
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: krasher;610341
Arrogant for the sake of being arrogant...that's the atheist way.

lemme see

whose the one who believes a all powerful being has nothing better to do but care about them?

whose the one who believes jesus is the only way to god, and that unless people come to god through Jesus, they are destined for hell.

Hypocrites for the sake of being hypocrites, thats the christian way

Reply #3912 Posted: December 10, 2007, 10:15:35 am

Offline Slim

• Addicted
  • Slim barely matters.Slim barely matters.

Reply #3913 Posted: December 10, 2007, 11:04:26 am
If anyone calls me a PC Fanboy - I will punch them in the Jaw.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: snprkdFACE;610311

You quote the rhetorical question and ignore the answer. I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to talk to you anymore for fear of catching stupidity via osmosis.

Reply #3914 Posted: December 10, 2007, 11:42:54 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Lets not get back into all the Christian/Atheist bashing again fellas.

The problem isn't what I believe or what you believe; the problem is being unable to accept what each other believes. And when it boils down to it, the real question we should be investigating is: why do I find something compelling, but others look at it and don't?

Reply #3915 Posted: December 10, 2007, 12:24:08 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: TuataraDude;610327
Actually, according to here http://www.maximonline.com/articles/index.aspx?a_id=5276, he is only the second lamest ever.

And after doing a little research (not a lot I admit, I do have a life) there are some pretty lame ones out there. Arm Fall Off Boy anyone? The Gay Ghost perchance? I am not making those up either.

Perhaps we should start a new thread on this....then again.

I don't count Robin as a superhero.
Did he even have any powers?!

:D

Reply #3916 Posted: December 10, 2007, 12:24:42 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;610393
why do I find something compelling, but others look at it and don't?

an example being?

Reply #3917 Posted: December 10, 2007, 12:52:31 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
why do I find something compelling, but others look at it and don't?

you need to understand that there is no "thing", no "it" for us (atheists) to look at and find compelling/uncompelling

Reply #3918 Posted: December 10, 2007, 01:06:42 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;610417
an example being?

The case for God for one - any of a million things that fill up the 128 pages of this thread.

It just seems to me that - after all the discussion here - the really interesting question would be why we don't agree when we look at the same evidence.

Reply #3919 Posted: December 10, 2007, 01:08:36 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;610429
The case for God for one - any of a million things that fill up the 128 pages of this thread.

It just seems to me that - after all the discussion here - the really interesting question would be why we don't agree when we look at the same evidence.

because some of us want to believe in it despite how rediculous it may be. For example some people believe they see jesus face in everyday thibgs  like toast, rocks, bit of wood, but to rational people they are nothing more than someone convincing themselfs that something is there when its not

Reply #3920 Posted: December 10, 2007, 01:14:35 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;610429

once again - what evidence?

Reply #3921 Posted: December 10, 2007, 01:22:19 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;610438
once again - what evidence?

Thats not the point of what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that the difference between us is more interesting than who is right. The evidence is secondary to this perspective. Our own impression of it is more interesting.

Reply #3922 Posted: December 10, 2007, 02:18:48 pm

Offline Arnifix

The problem isn't what I believe or what you believe; the problem is being unable to accept what each other believes.

If you want to believe in a higher power, that's cool, no problem here. But the instant it leaves your head and enters the public arena in any way, shape or form, it becomes fair game. I see no reason why your rules need to be applied to me, and it angers me greatly.

Reply #3923 Posted: December 10, 2007, 02:46:46 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Arnifix;610493
If you want to believe in a higher power, that's cool, no problem here. But the instant it leaves your head and enters the public arena in any way, shape or form, it becomes fair game. I see no reason why your rules need to be applied to me, and it angers me greatly.

I fear I have been misunderstood.

Reply #3924 Posted: December 10, 2007, 04:14:51 pm