Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #3925 Posted: December 10, 2007, 06:25:26 pm

Offline Gunner

• Devoted Member
  • Gunner has no influence.

Reply #3926 Posted: December 10, 2007, 06:28:35 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Why can't God be a bit malevolence sometimes? He's allowed to have a bit of personality, the man's a fucking genius creating universes out of nothing but will power, and FFS he created the Earth in the dark.

I'm not surprised he fucking strikes down on those who sometimes piss him off, he's done a lot of hard yakka to get this place all neat and tidy, he should be allowed to pick off the annoying ones at his discretion.

Reply #3927 Posted: December 10, 2007, 07:19:20 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Texas science education official forced to step down by creationists for forwarding an email about an anti-creationist presentation.

Reply #3928 Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:19:24 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: KiLL3r;610432
because some of us want to believe in it despite how rediculous it may be. For example some people believe they see jesus face in everyday thibgs  like toast, rocks, bit of wood, but to rational people they are nothing more than someone convincing themselfs that something is there when its not

i see other shapes, elephants and whales and what not.

Reply #3929 Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:34:44 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;611148

In the face of Jesus?

Reply #3930 Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:41:36 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline dement

• Addicted
  • dement has no influence.
I'm reading the God Delusion at the moment, it's very interesting.

Anyone else read this?

Reply #3931 Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:52:14 am

Offline SittingDuck

• Addicted
  • SittingDuck has no influence.
Christmas just a big Corporate sales scheme now, Damn coke ;D
We all do know the real reason for Christmas now?

Reply #3932 Posted: December 11, 2007, 01:21:11 pm

Offline qwerty4me

• Just settled in
  • qwerty4me has no influence.
Quote from: dement;611158
I'm reading the God Delusion at the moment, it's very interesting.

Anyone else read this?

Sure have! Although, I have given up debating about religion/science. I'm sure, by reading Dawkins, you know the religious argument is not based upon observation, like science, so can never be compared side by side. They are two totally different things.

Anyone claiming the raw word of the bible can be proved scientifically, obviously doesn't know how science works. You make an observation, then explain the cause. You don't explain the cause based upon what you think should happen, without any observations to cause it.

Reply #3933 Posted: December 11, 2007, 01:38:05 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;611148

can you see jesus?

Spoiler :
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7677/can20you20see20jesusmp0.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #3934 Posted: December 11, 2007, 01:48:34 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: snprkdFACE;610311
So that we don't die out and get flooded when global warming gets bad and ice melts etc.

There's always hills, mountains, and areas of high topographic elevation...these will have the added benefit of bringing us closer to Dog!

For the record, if you can't guess, I'll fall quite happily in the Atheist camp. I was brought up in a religious (not fundamentalist, quite Humanist really) family, but it wasn't for me and I was allowed to make up my own mind.
I prefer the Scientific approach ala Dawkins, Gould, Sam Harris etc.
god (intentional lower case) never made any sense to me...all the retributive justice (like some here have posted on other threads), chosen ones, appropriation of the Mother Cults to create something that on the surface comes across as peaceful and understanding but really is just the opposite and in my opinion can be blamed for the majority of grief over the last two thousand years plus.  Also, why attribute masculine characteristics, European features etc, I guess it makes it easier to force dominance over those who were conquered.
I could go on and on, but as I can't be bothered reading the 130 odd pages of posts, I'll leave it here...:
Supernatural ftl

Reply #3935 Posted: December 11, 2007, 01:51:42 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10482553

SYDNEY - A bizarre row about evolution versus creationism led to an English backpacker fatally stabbing a Scottish backpacker during a fruit-picking trip to earn money for their travels.

So i guess the dood would have found out who was right.

Reply #3936 Posted: December 16, 2007, 05:15:30 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
I got this very amusing private message on youtube. Im considering how to respond, but I think it would be funnier to find other peoples opinions...
Quote from: Message
the Mormons find pants godly because lust is a sin. It leads to bad actions, and feelings after those actions that can leave you full of regret, and other spiritually harmful feelings. They like to not flaunt skin, that's all that is. However realize that the Mormons was started by a man who claimed to use a 'peeping stone' or 'philosophers stone' to find buried treasure to quench his thirst for gold. Also he emerged from an era when everyone claimed to be religiously enlightened. Christians believe that god started our religion at the beginning of time, and no one can really prove otherwise. Where as we KNOW that the mormons was founded by a man Joseph smith. Having been started by a man it reeks of corruption.

Mohammed being spirited to heaven by a flaming horse sounds undeniably like Elijah going to heaven in the chariot of flames. In fact the whole Muslim religion sounds like a Christian spin off. It's stories are about 50-60% in concordance with what had already been written in the bible. Again, proven to have been started and founded by man, and to my knowledge to manipulate people into fighting his battles. (in which one thousands of Christians where put to death.)

Another thing, you can still have reality, and religion. The bible is an inspired work of art. meaning that it has a lot of symbolism, and creativeness to it. Do I think that life was any different back then than now? No I don't. I think the world was exactly the same as it was today, but we still have god. When the bible says chariot of flames to heaven. What I picture is Elijah dieing in an actual chariot on fire, and that was their creative way of describing it. Jesus said to have a personal relationship with god and the scriptures, so in thinking that, I'm not wrong. However if someone else thought something else, they aren't wrong either.

That's why I don't go to church, because they believe that it's there way or the highway. Jesus went from church to church doing 2 things in his time. Teaching people how to be good people, and telling the people that ran the church that they were evil.

He said "don't be like the hypocrites that like to stand on street corners, and in synagogues to pray so that man will see them at it. But go into your own room, close your door, and pray. Your father that sees all private things will reward you."

he also said. "my father's house is supposed to be a house of prayer, but you have turned it into a den of robbers". it's my belief that nothing has changed.

Also the rapture is a book that is COMPLETELY symbolism. Even in it's own book it gives away some of it's symbols. The four horsemen aren't actually four horsemen. they represent something that's going to happen in the world. Also the two beasts aren't really two beasts. they also represent things that are going to happen in the world.

Reply #3937 Posted: December 16, 2007, 10:02:05 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
The message was two mails long...
Quote from: Message
One thing that we should take note is that some of the things in the book of rapture is already beginning to take place. It's talks about a New world order, and a cashless society, and a final world battle, and other things. Most of those things are already being set up. All higher powers in the government are working towards Globalization. The cashless society is going to be brought about with the RFID chip (which I believe is the mark of the beast, wich in the bible states 'no man will be able to buy or sell without it'. They've already started implanting them in kids, and newborns under the pretense of being a medical aid, and other deceiving purposes of use. When we know the chip is an identification and tracking device. They've given out that information themselves. Also they're 'negotiating' with banks to put the chip in TM machines.

The one world government was prophesied 2000 years ago, and here we have bill Clinton, George bush sr, and George bush Jr setting it up. The next president in will work for it too. There's a reason why all these people are working for the same thing. they all come from the society of Skull and Bones. Even Time magazine owner did. That's why bush and other bones men have been time's people of the year, of course they are, they're cut from the same cloth.

Also the skull and bones is a secret society people know very little about, because everything they do is in the dark. No one is aloud to talk about it, and no one is aloud to enter inside there quarters. However the high priest of the church of Satan has been there, which I find EXTREMELY odd. You are going to be able to find these things out unless you actually do your homework. I can show you a lot of the videos that show what I'm talking about if you'd like to see.

The new world order has been prophesied, it will be the first, and the last. Jesus said once these signs take place and start happening this generation will surly not face death until all these things take place. Which means all these things taking place from the book of rapture shows that our lifetime is the last. It's hard to grasp but if you know the book of rapture, and see what's going on in the world, you'll understand.

Reply #3938 Posted: December 16, 2007, 10:03:01 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
  • DEATH0WL has no influence.
Lol at the second message.

I love it when people start talking about how it's the end of the world - always such a hoot!

Reply #3939 Posted: December 16, 2007, 10:10:00 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
That guy has done a lot of thinking.

Maybe a little too much.

That Skull and Bones society scares me though. *shiver*

Reply #3940 Posted: December 16, 2007, 10:27:20 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;615023
I can show you a lot of the videos that show what I'm talking about if you'd like to see.

It's a very short jump from watching some harmless videos to "i can show you my peepee, if you show me yours."

Reply #3941 Posted: December 16, 2007, 11:46:55 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline cnvrt02

• Addicted
  • cnvrt02 has no influence.
i will keep saying this, the irony in this is simply amazing... oh and the contradictions

Reply #3942 Posted: December 17, 2007, 02:14:23 am

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: TofuEater;615075
It's a very short jump from watching some harmless videos to "i can show you my peepee, if you show me yours."

Do I need to start a "Man Seeking Man" thread just for you, hoff?

Reply #3943 Posted: December 17, 2007, 02:19:19 am

Offline cnvrt02

• Addicted
  • cnvrt02 has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;615115
Do I need to start a "Man Seeking Man" thread just for you, hoff?

YES!

http://www.watchamericandad.com/watch.php?id=304

Reply #3944 Posted: December 17, 2007, 02:24:03 am

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
"Vatican blasts 'Golden Compass' as Godless"

"VATICAN CITY - The Vatican has condemned the film The Golden Compass, which some have called anti-Christian, saying it promotes a cold and hopeless world without God."

" The Vatican newspaper said the film and Pullman's writings showed that "when man tries to eliminate God from his horizon, everything is reduced, made sad, cold and inhumane". "
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10483469

That is truly arrogant. Personally I think it's the other way - the universe is a much more interesting place without God. What religious people are missing out on is the truly amazing fact that life and intelligent beings could arise spontaneously from interactions among atoms. At all stages in the process there is wonder and excitement. All they have is a cliche ridden creation myth. How boring.

(attack on atheists returned)

Reply #3945 Posted: December 21, 2007, 02:59:10 pm
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Fragin';618736

" The Vatican newspaper said the film and Pullman's writings showed that "when man tries to eliminate God from his horizon, everything is reduced, made sad, cold and inhumane". "
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10483469

have they read the books?

Reply #3946 Posted: December 22, 2007, 12:20:58 am

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;618995
have they read the books?

The books attack the Catholic Church directly apparently. The films are kindof 'pan religious'.

Reply #3947 Posted: December 22, 2007, 12:37:47 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Fragin';619000
The books attack the Catholic Church directly apparently. The films are kindof 'pan religious'.

From what I've read, the books are more anti-dogmatic (meaning, anti the idea of organised religion), rather than anti-God. They even got a semi-endorsment from the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Reply #3948 Posted: December 22, 2007, 01:04:41 am

Offline SpineSnapper

• Just settled in
  • SpineSnapper has no influence.
Religion.

Edit: yes there are many scientific facts, but the amount of them that coincide with the bible is amazingly high.

Reply #3949 Posted: December 22, 2007, 02:20:09 am