Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
that movie/doco is full of shit. almost all its facts are complete fabrications.

Reply #3975 Posted: December 27, 2007, 10:34:13 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
pagans invented the gifts, happyness, partys etc

christians invented the jesus

and coke made it red.

Reply #3976 Posted: December 27, 2007, 10:49:47 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
Someone negged me for saying someone negged me.

:chuckle:

Reply #3977 Posted: December 28, 2007, 12:01:03 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: Fragin';622027
Someone negged me for saying someone negged me.

:chuckle:

Soooo tempting to neg rep you, just so you can say "someone neg repped me for saying that someone neg repped me for saying..." oh you get the picture.

But I don't neg rep, so there goes that idea. :laff:

Reply #3978 Posted: December 28, 2007, 01:20:04 pm
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: TuataraDude;622055
Soooo tempting to neg rep you, just so you can say "someone neg repped me for saying that someone neg repped me for saying..." oh you get the picture.

But I don't neg rep, so there goes that idea. :laff:

I would say that too.

Reply #3979 Posted: December 28, 2007, 01:26:37 pm
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
OK I have a "what if" question for the christians.
If jesus had been fed to the lions instead of crucified, would he still have been resurrected (presumably from lion poop) ?

Reply #3980 Posted: December 28, 2007, 03:37:33 pm

Offline qwerty4me

• Just settled in
  • qwerty4me has no influence.
The answer is no, he would not be ressurected. Unless you ask a christian, in which case YES he will be!

People just need to look at the past. Look though history, from Bruno to Hubble, religion has been found to be wrong at every step along the way. But religion is still going stong today. I think its a bad sign for humanity, that we would rather accept a fairy tale as the real truth, than look at the facts, despite the (now) INCREDIBLY obvious evidence that we don't live in a world 6,000 years old. And we think flies are stupid for constantly ramming glass windows... I think humanty is doing just that. Well, actually maybe the flies are more intelligent, they normally manage to find a gap in the glass. I don't think humanity will.

Reply #3981 Posted: December 28, 2007, 11:40:18 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
my mates made a docco in highschool called "was hitler jesus?" they did this mocumentary of "was hitler gay?" which came out at the same time, making up or photoshopping (poorly) what they didn't have evidence of.

never saw the finished product as I left school a week later.

Reply #3982 Posted: December 29, 2007, 12:43:43 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: Fragin';618736
"Vatican blasts 'Golden Compass' as Godless"

"VATICAN CITY - The Vatican has condemned the film The Golden Compass, which some have called anti-Christian, saying it promotes a cold and hopeless world without God."

" The Vatican newspaper said the film and Pullman's writings showed that "when man tries to eliminate God from his horizon, everything is reduced, made sad, cold and inhumane". "
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10483469

That is truly arrogant. Personally I think it's the other way - the universe is a much more interesting place without God. What religious people are missing out on is the truly amazing fact that life and intelligent beings could arise spontaneously from interactions among atoms. At all stages in the process there is wonder and excitement. All they have is a cliche ridden creation myth. How boring.

(attack on atheists returned)

those pricks pull shit out of their arse like no tomorrow. who decided man needs a go-between to talk to god. fuck the pope and his fish hat.

Reply #3983 Posted: January 10, 2008, 04:29:11 am
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline SpineSnapper

• Just settled in
  • SpineSnapper has no influence.
Quote from: 'frog.;630339
those pricks pull shit out of their arse like no tomorrow. who decided man needs a go-between to talk to god. fuck the pope and his fish hat.

I agree, The pope is bullshit.

Reply #3984 Posted: January 10, 2008, 04:36:52 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: SirGrimNZ;619653
At least some of the Big bang theory can be proven.
The Bible states god said some "stuff" and the planets apeared..right.

Ok as it stands,there is only one element found on Earth which can NOT be created by the Earth's natural processes,and it's Uranium.

Scientists already know that uranium can only be produced from an explosion FAAAAAR greater than any on earth has ever occured,meaning that quite simply either Earth was created from an explosions,or aliens brought Uranium here ,and stuck it under the ground.

All the heavy elements are created when a star explodes in a supernova. The elements then group together and form planets.

And it's not just Uranium, pretty much all heavier elements can not be created naturally on Earth.

Reply #3985 Posted: January 10, 2008, 09:17:00 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Fragin';618736

That is truly arrogant. Personally I think it's the other way - the universe is a much more interesting place without God. What religious people are missing out on is the truly amazing fact that life and intelligent beings could arise spontaneously from interactions among atoms. At all stages in the process there is wonder and excitement. All they have is a cliche ridden creation myth. How boring.

That's quite a narrow minded view assuming all religious people only believe in a creation myth.
Many religious people do believe in he truly amazing fact that life and intelligent beings could arise spontaneously from interactions among atoms.

Reply #3986 Posted: January 10, 2008, 09:21:11 am

Offline SirGrimNZ

• Just settled in
  • SirGrimNZ has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;630419
All the heavy elements are created when a star explodes in a supernova. The elements then group together and form planets.

And it's not just Uranium, pretty much all heavier elements can not be created naturally on Earth.

Thank you for your insight.
I was actually watching the history channel last week and they showed a method(which most scientists agree on) on how the Earth was created and it was quite magnificent.It involves huge amounts of raw energy from such explosions and contact  and easily layes the basis to create such elements.

Reply #3987 Posted: January 10, 2008, 10:11:53 am

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;630422

Many religious people do believe in he truly amazing fact that life and intelligent beings could arise spontaneously from interactions among atoms.

religious people is quite a wide subject area. what religious group would these people belong to? surely not christian or muslims, that would undermine all their beliefs.

Reply #3988 Posted: January 10, 2008, 12:13:10 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: SirGrimNZ;630450
Thank you for your insight.
I was actually watching the history channel last week and they showed a method(which most scientists agree on) on how the Earth was created and it was quite magnificent.It involves huge amounts of raw energy from such explosions and contact  and easily layes the basis to create such elements.

No dude. Spacemonkey's got it right. Hydrogen and helium were created in the big bang. From Helium up to Iron comes from the stellar nucleosynthesis process inside stars and the rest > Iron come from supernova.

Reply #3989 Posted: January 10, 2008, 12:32:59 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;630422

i think im that religion - that the one where you also back evolution and dont believe in any space fairies that love everyone?

never knew rational was is a religion

Reply #3990 Posted: January 10, 2008, 01:47:26 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: KiLL3r;630536
religious people is quite a wide subject area. what religious group would these people belong to? surely not christian or muslims, that would undermine all their beliefs.

Hmmmmmm ..................................... generalise MUCH?

I don't even know what to say in the face of such ignorance. Obviously I can't speak for muslims, but I know there is alot of acceptance of science in the Christian circles I'm part of. It doesn't undermine different beliefs to see ways in which those different beliefs can co-exist.

Even worse, we covered this already.

Reply #3991 Posted: January 10, 2008, 02:35:58 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;630661
Hmmmmmm ..................................... generalise MUCH?

I don't even know what to say in the face of such ignorance. Obviously I can't speak for muslims, but I know there is alot of acceptance of science in the Christian circles I'm part of. It doesn't undermine different beliefs to see ways in which those different beliefs can co-exist.

Even worse, we covered this already.

so your telling me its possible to believe god created the earth and adam and eve in 6 days and at the sametime believe the earth was created during the big bang?

thats must be some funky logic you have to explain that

Reply #3992 Posted: January 10, 2008, 03:06:15 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;630685
so your telling me its possible to believe god created the earth and adam and eve in 6 days and at the sametime believe the earth was created during the big bang?

thats must be some funky logic you have to explain that

If you go back to page 4 you'll find the discussion where people tried to explain this to you. I'm pretty sure you tried to ignore it then too.

What you're assuming is that all Christians believe that God created the earth in 6 exact days, and that creation happened EXACTLY as stated in Genesis. Not all Christians believe that. Sure I believe God had a hand in creation - it just seems to me that a Big Bang would be a pretty handy way of creating a universe, if I were so inclined.

I mean, by your "all Christians believe the same thing" logic, creationism and intelligent design are the exact same argument, or young-earth and old-earth believers essentially believe the same thing... which is simply not the case.

My point wasn't what people believe, it was that you were generalising all Christians and Muslims as believing the same things, which is not true.

Reply #3993 Posted: January 10, 2008, 03:23:06 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;630705
My point wasn't what people believe, it was that you were generalising all Christians and Muslims as believing the same things, which is not true.

Of course not, otherwise there'd be nothing to fight about, there wouldn't be so many sects/cults blood spilled. OMG it would be terrible... Wait what the hell am i doing back here ?

Reply #3994 Posted: January 10, 2008, 03:28:55 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;630705
What you're assuming is that all Christians believe that God created the earth in 6 exact days, and that creation happened EXACTLY as stated in Genesis. Not all Christians believe that. Sure I believe God had a hand in creation - it just seems to me that a Big Bang would be a pretty handy way of creating a universe, if I were so inclined.

I wish more people thought like you Flea. More religious people that is.

Reply #3995 Posted: January 10, 2008, 04:18:37 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Arnifix;630761

Ignorance isn't mutually exclusive to the religious.

Reply #3996 Posted: January 10, 2008, 04:27:15 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: TofuEater;630774
Ignorance isn't mutually exclusive to the religious.

True. However, the last thing we need imo is more religious people. Hence wording. Less religious idiots would certainly be delightful though. _b

Reply #3997 Posted: January 10, 2008, 04:32:39 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Arnifix;630761

Thanks man :)

I just hate being lumped in with religious types, mostly because I probably get as mad at them as most of you guys do :D

Reply #3998 Posted: January 10, 2008, 04:35:46 pm

Offline deamora

• Devoted Member
  • deamora has no influence.

Reply #3999 Posted: January 10, 2008, 04:39:14 pm